Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2008, 13:02   #1
BHPian

Which one @12-13 lac EDIT : Bought Civic!!

Dear All,

I have been going through all the threads here to decide my next car but still can not make up my mind. Need your help please.

I have a Swift Vxi which we will keep and this would be the second car. Few points to consider are:

1. It would be maintained by company - so maintainance cost is not issue.
2. Fuel - paid by company - so FE not an issue.
3. City travel about 800 - 900 km per month.
4. Once in 2-3 months trip to mountains/jungles - about 1000-1200km.
5. Weekdays driven by driver - weekends & trips driven by me
6. Will keep this car for 4 years

The dilema with the models are:
1. Corrola AT - Great car to drive & driven in but old - getting out by Sept08.
2. Civic - Great car, almost finalised - but for the GC issue. The civics in our office are to be driven @ 2 kmph in rough roads, Spead breakers etc. with only one/ two in backseat. Not sure how it would be to take it out to Madikeri or Udipi or Hampi with 2+2 and luggage...
3. Safari 2.2 - Great road presence, Great Ad but unimpressive trims & refinement. All in office horrified that I'm seriously considering it - one can't go to office in that. I don't understand this water-tight funda of Car vs SUVs. Gurus.....Please let me know what is the problem if I go to office in a grey Safari2.2??? Other than the image issue -objectively how is it to own this car? BYW - my wife is okay with it

I love to drive and would like a car which is good to drive and comfortable at back seat also. I need to buy it next week.

Sorry about the long mail . So Gurus.....Please HELP.

Cheers,

Swift Vxi -2006
Alto Lxi - 2004 (Sold)
Mariti 800 - 2001 (Will never sell)
Pulsar - 2000
Splendor - 1999
Old 3rd January 2008, 13:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Looking at your requirements i would suggest you the Honda Civic, fantastic car and although it scrapes a few speed breakers, it is worth it.

You can also look at Laura Ambinete since maintainance is not a issues, Optra Magnum will also be a good car to consider, if you intend sit in the back seat.
Old 3rd January 2008, 13:44   #3
BHPian

Cedia??

The top-end trim of the Cedia should set you back by 10.5 odd lacs OTR. That is still 1.5-2.5 lacs less than your budget and fits the bill. T-BHPians have rated it very highly. All the more reason to consider the 'Cedia' . Good luck with your decision.
Old 3rd January 2008, 13:49   #4
Team-BHP Support

let me add another car to that. why dont you look at the innova?
Old 3rd January 2008, 14:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

How about Octavia 1.8? Great fun to drive, but rear seats not good for tall passengers. Magnum is another contender. Fast and good rear comfort.
Old 3rd January 2008, 14:05   #6
BHPian

MG, any particular reason why you did not short list the octavia ? And is your price band for OTR or for ex-showroom. In Bangalore, Civic costs 13.19 OTR whereas an octavia petrol would fit your budget.

One of my friends took his civic on the Madikeri road last week and he really suffered and scrapped. Think twice considering your usage.
Old 3rd January 2008, 14:06   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1558 View Post
3. Safari 2.2 - Great road presence, Great Ad but unimpressive trims & refinement. All in office horrified that I'm seriously considering it - one can't go to office in that. I don't understand this water-tight funda of Car vs SUVs. Gurus.....Please let me know what is the problem if I go to office in a grey Safari2.2??? Other than the image issue -objectively how is it to own this car? BYW - my wife is okay with it
Usually, maintainence is the issue that scares people away from the Safari. But i think it suits you for these reasons-

1. Your car is company maitained. So no worries on that front.
2. FE no problem, and anyways, its a diesel!
3. Good backseat- since your car will be driven by driver most of the time.
4. Good GC and interior space- to handle your weekend trips.
5. Now with the 2.2 VTT- Power is not a problem.
6. Why no Safari to office? Scare everyone in the office and on-the-road with it.
Old 3rd January 2008, 14:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

As maintenance and fuel are not issues, why do not you look at Cedia? Its a drivers car!!
Old 3rd January 2008, 14:35   #9
BHPian

You have quite a few options talking about Coorg and hill stations you can look at the safari and the scorpio Hawk they are the best performers for these kind of terrains.

What is the matter whats your ride to office i drive either in a bolero or scorpio to office who cares.....

You can even look at the Innova amazing comfort for long journeys.

If you want to rough the car up and enjoy a peacefull drive and not bother much about the under and belly and things like that it is better to opt for a SUV and not look at a car. Cars are best suited for city.
Old 3rd January 2008, 15:18   #10
Team-BHP Support

Maintenance not an issue? And you like the safari? Well go for it mate! This car will give you the most satisfaction, and though your office guys may be horrified initially, that feeling will change to envy!
Moreover you can enjoy a movie on the DVD system en route to office.
Old 3rd January 2008, 15:41   #11
BHPian

Hi , thanks all for the quick replies....

....one thing, I shortlisted the 3 after considering all available cars/ SUVs. Now the idea is to get to 1 from list of 3. Need you to help in doing that...

@BUSA - I would not buy a Skoda...so Laura was not in consideration. You are right about Magnum back seat but how would you like to drive it on a hilly road? I don't think I'll enjoy - so did not consider.
@wondarlustindia - Yes you are right - its cool to drive, but back seat is not that enjoyable. Moreover, I'll keep this car for 4 years and not sure about HM.
@akshay1234 - yes, Innova is great comfort - but I just could not make myself like the looks of it - its subjective - no offence.
@anandrs - The budget is that much flexible...
@tsk1979 - trust me, am truly getting tempted...
Old 3rd January 2008, 15:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

go ahead with the safari man.
the road presence is worth it.

as you already said you need to carry luggage and 2+2 passengers.

the damn thing has so much space you can play football in it.its very comfortable.also its deisel and has normal fuel efficiency too.

my friend is tired of his civic.says it drains his pocket and as his city saharanpur has really bad roads,every now and then the wheel alignment goes out.

as for the office guys.hehe.they don't even know the meaning of being horrified.they'll be horrified when a safari's hood will charge at them at the parking lot when you drive in.

its got commanding presence.and its a fact no one can ignore.
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:05   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Free maintenance and low ground clearance notwithstanding, I'd highly recommend the Civic to you. It will keep you happiest.

Also try test-driving the entry-level Laura as well as the Optra (fully-loaded variant. They come with some nice goodies).
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:12   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems like you have almost decided on the Safari 2.2 VVT. Go ahead, its a beast and will certainly keep you happy. However, IMHO, it looks great in black instead of grey.
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:13   #15
BHPian

Hi GTO,

Thanks. What is your logic for chosing Civic with low GC over Safari2.2 with free maintenance?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks