Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2008, 16:58   #31
BHPian

Rahul's right on his point. Its a myth that Baleno spares are costly, yes they are, compared to Esteem, and off course it will , the segments different, but definitely not the SKODA. Neways I think theres no point in comparing Baleno to a Swift. I feel more comfortable driving my Baleno because of the torque surge in crawling traffic when its required as well the exhilarating feel on the Highway. This is in comparision to any swift and dezire that I have driven. U call me biased. Oh yes I am
Old 11th December 2008, 11:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
PS: Head gaskets, sensors, lower arms, condensor, radiator, bumpers, bonnet, windshield, steering column ball joints, headlamps all have been changed on my car. I don't remember having to wait for more than a day for any of these parts. Wonder where is it that you are unable to source parts and what sort of parts you can't find.
Recently we were looking for Crankshaft for Baleno all over South. Could locate one SGP in Bangalore which was quoting 26k. Eventually we settled for a used on around 10k.

PS: Just FYI. I know Crankshaft is not something you replace every 10,000 Kms. It was difficult to find anyway. We were offered Esteems crankshaft at many places, which is almost similar in dimentions.

I guess Baleno concentration is more in Bangalore, hence parts are stocked more here.
Old 11th December 2008, 11:37   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Recently we were looking for Crankshaft for Baleno all over South. Could locate one SGP in Bangalore which was quoting 26k. Eventually we settled for a used on around 10k.

PS: Just FYI. I know Crankshaft is not something you replace every 10,000 Kms. It was difficult to find anyway. We were offered Esteems crankshaft at many places, which is almost similar in dimentions.

I guess Baleno concentration is more in Bangalore, hence parts are stocked more here.
Like you mentioned cranks are not parts that you would often replace. I doubt most other manufacturers would have ready stock of such parts in all the major cities. A few weeks back we were looking for some turbo hoses for the elantra and the only availability in south India was at Chennai.

Commercially, all dealers, stockists normally keep stock of "moving parts". I mean those that wont be a dead stock lying in their stock yard. Other parts are ordered from the production line on order. Its not just with the baleno's it happens to all cars from all manufacturers as well.
Old 24th June 2010, 21:12   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post

And regarding the engine IIRC the block is the same, head is from the Baleno, cam is slightly wilder than the baleno's,
Baleno & Swift G-engine heads are different though both share the distributor-less wasted spark ignition. I have a Swift head with me & compared it with Baleno head. The combustion chamber is bigger for the Swift, the quench pads are also smaller.
Old 15th March 2011, 09:32   #35
BHPian

Buying a baleno

I am looking to buy my first car and I'm in a dilemma now.

My usage will be mostly city, I'd probably run 200 kms a week in Bangalore city. (ofcourse I will be using my bike as well, so it will be less than 200 kms a week for the car). I also plan to do occasional long trips to Kerala from Bangalore, may be once every 2 months or so. The car will be driven mostly single or 2 people.
Budget 2-3 lakhs
Now, the kind of petrolhead I am, I need performance, loads of it. Initially I was thinking of getting a Palio GTX, but then with the upward trend of fuel prices and hearing the horrible stories of FIAT service and spares, I have almost given up on Palio. OHC VTEC is very hard to find, and will be almost 10 years old, even if I find a good example. I do not want a fill-it-forget-it type of a car, but neither do I want a white elephant.I might also think of some mods, may be a year down the line.

After going through a lot of threads here, I have my eyes set on the Baleno now. Seems to be a nice car with ample performance, I don't mind the looks.. and Maruti A.S.S.

Another car which I'd love to have is the Lancer.

The third option is swift diesel. Wonderful car I'd say. I've driven one extensively. Amazing performance and fuel efficient. But I don't see a point in spending 6L on it and going for a car loan (since it is above my budget)

Now the questions.
1) I'm more inclined to Baleno than Lancer, since I can get newer models my price range and Maruti A.S.S.
2) Assuming Baleno, what is the current scene for spares. I do not want to park my car in garage forever looking for spares. What would be the scene 2-3 years down the line? (I am looking at using/servicing it at bangalore)
3) I've seen a pre-worshipped Baleno, a doctor owned 2006 June vxi, single owner, black color, done 64k kms. The battery is brand new and he says the tyres has more life in them. He's quoting 2.95 and is open for negotiations. I have 2.75 in my mind, will it be a good deal? I am going to see the car this weekend.

What all do I need to check when I inspect this car, apart from the regular checks for a used car? Anything specific to Baleno that can fail around 65k?
Old 15th March 2011, 09:44   #36
BHPian

Re: Buying a baleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
Now the questions.
1) I'm more inclined to Baleno than Lancer, since I can get newer models my price range and Maruti A.S.S.

2) Assuming Baleno, what is the current scene for spares. I do not want to park my car in garage forever looking for spares. What would be the scene 2-3 years down the line? (I am looking at using/servicing it at bangalore)

[Mr_Bean] Go to Suraksha, Electronic City. Avoid Pratham, ORR
[Mr_Bean] Spares are stocked for some, some are made to order but here in Chennai it mostly arrives within a week. Spares are expensive, (e.g.) strut cost around 6000/-, SGP clutch assembly = 5300/-, lower arms = around 6000/-, air filter - 767/-, side view mirror - 6400/-, power steering assembly - 44k . In the end the high spares should not deter you from buying your favorite baleno, the pleasure you derive out of diving it on the highway is priceless.

3) I've seen a pre-worshipped Baleno, a doctor owned 2006 June vxi, single owner, black color, done 64k kms. The battery is brand new and he says the tyres has more life in them. He's quoting 2.95 and is open for negotiations. I have 2.75 in my mind, will it be a good deal? I am going to see the car this weekend.

[Mr_Bean] 2.3 lakhs not more than that. Please check what all was done in the 60k service. Tyre needs replacement for that running.

What all do I need to check when I inspect this car, apart from the regular checks for a used car? Anything specific to Baleno that can fail around 65k?
Myself being a baleno owner will try to answer your questions above.
Old 15th March 2011, 09:46   #37
BHPian

Team.bhp member Kaushik is planning to sell his car in Bangalore. You could as well check his car.

Cheers,
Anup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
I am looking to buy my first car and I'm in a dilemma now.

Last edited by mobike008 : 15th March 2011 at 13:58. Reason: Please DO NOT quoting large text, videos and pictures as it inconveniences our low bandwidth users. Thanks!
Old 15th March 2011, 10:50   #38
BHPian

In 2009 Dec I sold my baleno 2006 Vxi very well maintained with 42k kms on board for 3.0 lacs. Baleno is a good car no doubt but spares are costly as compared to other cars. Also baleno has low ground clearance and hence with full load tends to scrape the speed breakers. But overall I was very satisfied with the car and the person who has bought my car is also very happy, low on maintenance and the spares are easily available. Also there are ways to get better spares at cheaper rates like the SGP disc brakes pads cost 2600 for Baleno but a better quality brake pads from Bosch cost only Rs950. Hence go ahead don't worry and buy your dream car.

PS: As per the current rates - 2006 baleno should be available at something around 2.35 to 2.5 lacs depending on the way its been maintained.
Old 15th March 2011, 11:20   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Myself being a baleno owner will try to answer your questions above.
44k for a PS assembly Man, how often do those fail?
And how long will the suspension last? Am I looking at a suspension overhaul also at 64k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup7649 View Post
Team.bhp member Kaushik is planning to sell his car in Bangalore. You could as well check his car.

Cheers,
Anup
Looks like he has a 2005 vxi, Let me PM him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
In 2009 Dec I sold my baleno 2006 Vxi very well maintained with 42k kms on board for 3.0 lacs. Baleno is a good car no doubt but spares are costly as compared to other cars. Also baleno has low ground clearance and hence with full load tends to scrape the speed breakers. But overall I was very satisfied with the car and the person who has bought my car is also very happy, low on maintenance and the spares are easily available. Also there are ways to get better spares at cheaper rates like the SGP disc brakes pads cost 2600 for Baleno but a better quality brake pads from Bosch cost only Rs950. Hence go ahead don't worry and buy your dream car.

PS: As per the current rates - 2006 baleno should be available at something around 2.35 to 2.5 lacs depending on the way its been maintained.
Strange, as carwale suggested a price of around 2.8-3.0 for the one I mentioned above.

How bad is the ground clearance? Is it as bad as a Honda city? The car will rarely be driven with full load, mostly 1-2 people. I'm not used to a low GC car, we have a scorpio in my family
Old 15th March 2011, 11:33   #40
BHPian

I was thinking if any of the BHPians around Bangalore who has a well maintained Baleno can offer me a favor

I haven't sat inside a Baleno, so I have absolutely no idea how it feels. I was wondering if anyone could take me for a short spin in one, so that I know how a well maintained one should feel like.. I'd be more than happy to drop in at your place.
Old 15th March 2011, 11:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Having owned both these cars I would put my money on the baleno any-day. The lancer (my brothers car) was nothing but a white elephant when it came to maintainence. Used it for a year and sold it off.

Quote:
I doubt if there would be any problem sourcing spares since its a product sold by MUL. Even if a particular part isn't available off the shelf, it usually is sourced in 2/3 days time tops.

Quote:
3) I've seen a pre-worshipped Baleno, a doctor owned 2006 June vxi, single owner, black color, done 64k kms. The battery is brand new and he says the tyres has more life in them. He's quoting 2.95 and is open for negotiations. I have 2.75 in my mind, will it be a good deal? I am going to see the car this weekend
Time for a battery change in this car. Check that first and then the regular in the order suspension bushes, if any noises from the struts, tires et all. GTO has written a wonderful article on buying a used car.

Be warned the spares are a bit expensive when compared to other cars from the MUL stable.

Quote:
Ask for the service history of the car if available. I have already put up the most common things and you might want to check this thread (ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India) and this (Buying a Second Hand Car - Learn from my mistakes!!!).
Old 15th March 2011, 12:00   #42
Senior - BHPian

Go for baleno, maximum bang for your bucks.

The price for used cars depends on the city. Bangalore has the highest road tax, hence higher resale value compared to other cities. 2.75L for a 2006 single owner Baleno VXi sounds all right.

Check the car thoroughly and have an Maruti Service centre look at it.
Old 15th March 2011, 12:00   #43
Senior - BHPian

Price: 2.75L will be a good deal considering it is a Vxi (for others-In bangalore this is a good dea1).

Spares: Will not be an issue at all, ya may have to wait for a week max to get things.

Car: Ya wont find many black balenos in the market,black or white is the best for baleno IMHO, so... And yeah it is pain to maintain if ya use it regularly (i am talking about the color)

Ground Clearance: I have never faced an issue with its ground clearance. I have changed my rims to 15'". Also i run mostly alone or with couple of people. It is almost similar to OHC, may be slightly better.

Pl check it properly before buying.

Last edited by Unknownsatan : 15th March 2011 at 12:02.
Old 15th March 2011, 12:23   #44
BHPian

With two people, it will never scrape the bottom. I have 185/70 R13 tyres.

Is it on a new clutch or old? Bangalore city and still on original clutch at 64k kms? I changed my clutch completely at 60k. Set me back by 5k.

Pradeep

Last edited by pradkumar : 15th March 2011 at 12:30.
Old 15th March 2011, 12:35   #45
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok so why not a preowned Petrol Fiesta (much more fun to drive and better built) or a Hyundai accent Executive. (The accent sold a lot more and that means a lot more reusable spares in the market, it will be easier to get these serviced.)

Also though you mention the preference for the Baleno, the Lancer is a better car if you can get one in good condition.

I personally feel the above two are better options compared to a baleno.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks