Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2009, 15:15   #1
BHPian

Urgent Advice needed on purchasing used Octavia vRS

Here's my dilemma: A couple of days back i TDd a 2005 spec vrs(29k on odo....it be tampered???) and i hav a few queries:
1. When i upshift from the 1st gear at around 40-45ks theres a momentary pause( almost unnoticeable) before the car surges forward again...does the turbo hav something to do with it??
2. There is a very sharp( almost rough hissing/ whoosh-ing) sound from the engine as the rpms cross 3500-4000 range.....is the turbo so loud or is the engine at fault??
3. The car in question stalled a couple of times from standstill...does that mean that the clutch is cooked or is it that this car has a very sensitive clutch(p.s.:i accustomed to driving a carburetted zen....and hence maybe i wasnt used to this clutch set up)???

Another thing.....since this car up for sale...i found out from my sources that the airbags on this car have been deployed before but the gentleman at the insurance co. says that "it was not a total loss"...does it mean that the car has been in a major crash before??....On driving the car i didnt find any signs of the car pulling in any direction..

Please help me out as i am seriously contemplating buying the car because of the driving pleasure that it offers( although im aware of the maintenance expenses involved going through the posts here)....

Im not an expert on cars like the others on this forum....all your advice will be appreciated and i really need it...thanks in advance

cheers!!!

Note from Mods : Please format your posts properly. You must take a look at this thread for details before continuing. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th March 2009 at 15:30. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 27th March 2009, 15:30   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope you have checked out this thread here: Think twice before you buy a Skoda

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rned-year.html

And there are several threads more like:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-vrs-woes.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...les-heels.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tavia-vrs.html

Last edited by khan_sultan : 27th March 2009 at 15:33.
Old 27th March 2009, 15:39   #3
BHPian

Skoda!!!! Used!!!! with suspected crash!!! it was not a total loss!!!!

Man, u have already answered your question.

"NO".

If you are really in love with Skoda than check other no accident, clean Skoda.

But this one ... "NO WAY." (buying a brand new Skoda will be cheaper )
Old 27th March 2009, 15:43   #4
Team-BHP Support

Octane, you are taking a HUGE risk. I do not advice anyone to buy any Skoda vehicle nowadays. Their after sales service is third grade.

PLEASE AVOID
Old 27th March 2009, 16:02   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the advice guys....please keep the replies coming in..
The thing is that the car inquestion is being offered at around 4.4l....
the pickup was clean.But i still havnt figured out whether the observations made by me are characteristic of all VRSs....Is it so??
Old 27th March 2009, 17:00   #6
BHPian

Buddy, back off, unless you want to spend the rest of your life and money in court...
Old 27th March 2009, 17:30   #7
BHPian

If you looking for a skoda VRS, i noticed and add in newspaper classified section of TOI for a VRS sale in Delhi.
Old 27th March 2009, 17:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
Here's my dilemma: A couple of days back i TDd a 2005 spec vrs(29k on odo....it be tampered???) and i hav a few queries:

1. When i upshift from the 1st gear at around 40-45ks theres a momentary pause( almost unnoticeable) before the car surges forward again...does the turbo hav something to do with it??
The owner might not have driven much and hence tampering can be ignored for sometime
That must be due to the turbo kicking in.
Quote:
2. There is a very sharp( almost rough hissing/ whoosh-ing) sound from the engine as the rpms cross 3500-4000 range.....is the turbo so loud or is the engine at fault??
Turbo Whistle - Famous , no problems.
Quote:
3. The car in question stalled a couple of times from standstill...does that mean that the clutch is cooked or is it that this car has a very sensitive clutch(p.s.:i accustomed to driving a carburetted zen....and hence maybe i wasnt used to this clutch set up)???
vRs has a harder clutch than normal carbs and even cars like Honda. ( Not very hard ). Get that checked by a service centre or mechanic.
Quote:
Another thing.....since this car up for sale...i found out from my sources that the airbags on this car have been deployed before but the gentleman at the insurance co. says that "it was not a total loss"...does it mean that the car has been in a major crash before??....On driving the car i didnt find any signs of the car pulling in any direction..

cheers!!!
Check service history. Contact Dealership for details on service.
Old 27th March 2009, 17:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

For 4.4 Lakh , there is surely something fishy in it. Get it checked by a local mechanic or skoda service station throughout and then make a call!
Old 27th March 2009, 17:39   #10
BHPian

On 2nd thoughts i do spend most of my time in court....im a legal consultant you see.....

But jokes apart heres some additional info......went to the Skoda workshop where it used to be serviced....the supervisor told me that the car had been servised last March at 25.2k reading on the odo....next service was at 31 k....the car having done around 28.8k hasnt been to the workshop since....

He also told me that the car had come to them after meeting with an accident....front bumper and bonnet damaged....airbags deployed....on being told about the estimate of the repairs the owner backed off...But he also added in the same breath that there was no damage to the engine....he also spoke of some error codes in the sensors of the car...i guess its the vag-COM scanner...

The supervisor's now told me that since the car has probably been done up externally(probably at a local body workshop), if brought to the WORKSHOP they would have to replace all spurious parts(gave me an estimate of 2lakhs)...he'll confirm the estimate once i bring it down to the Workshop....

Advice
Old 27th March 2009, 17:44   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's my advice: If you do buy a Skoda and it has trouble, don't post it on the forum. You might get instigated in a court case, lol.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2009, 17:49   #12
BHPian

I doubt anyone on the forum will ever advice anybody to buy a skoda anymore. You should not look at the cost you are getting the vehicle now. you should be concerned about the future costs, heartburn and headache you might have to endure to maintain the car. Good luck if you decide to buy a skoda, cause you will certainly need lots of it.
Old 27th March 2009, 18:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Octane1002,

Do yourself a favor and back off. Forget 4.4L, do not pick it even if given free of cost. The experience post purchase, not with the vehicle, but with the A.S.S is going to be a pain just there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Here's my advice: If you do buy a Skoda and it has trouble, don't post it on the forum. You might get instigated in a court case, lol.
Now now... will this remark also cause them to "instigate" you in a case?
Old 27th March 2009, 19:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Back off for your own good.
Skoda = Headache
Used Skoda = Suicide
Old 27th March 2009, 19:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Haha.
I'd also note down that advice Sam.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks