Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2009, 00:00   #106
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
Thanks! I knew 1.25L wasnt the price and hence the thread

As per the owner, he has spent about 70,000 Rs. for repainting / denting., 4 new tyres. And that's why he quotes around 1.25L where as every other ad on the internet quotes only around 50 - 60k.
It is not your fault that the owner spent 70K on a car that has a resale value less than 40K. That is his loss.

I would not pay a penny over 40K. 50K if you are feeling generous and sorry for the owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
Do you mean investing so much on a Contessa is not worth it?
Yes.
Old 6th December 2009, 22:38   #107

Advice Needed on Buying a Contessa 1.8GL ?

Guys,
Need help asto how do I go about getting a Contessa for myself. I intend refurbing it completely. I go back and forth from the states, so i could get nice rims etc, etc, so asto make it a real standout.
Any and all the help from you guys would be appreciated, as I have been following some great advice being given here in this forum.
Anxiously awaiting response.
Old 6th February 2010, 10:49   #108
Team-BHP Support

Mods note: zking, I've merged your thread here. There are better chances for you to find some answers in this thread.
Old 24th March 2010, 18:46   #109
BHPian

Hey guys,
I like zking would like to buy a Contessa. I have been looking for one for many months but unfortunately have not found a suitable one. The engine condition does not bother me as I plan to fit a ISUZU 2400CC Turbo Diesel (4FG1 is the model number I think). I do not plan any major body work and have sourced out the mechanic and body shop. I've even put the word out in Mayapuri that I want that engine. (Mayapuri is where all junk cars etc are sold. You can find all the spares you need over there).
Old 22nd April 2011, 13:15   #110
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice Needed on Buying a Contessa 1.8GL ?

What are the other cosmetic changes in the

NIkki Carb

The other carb

The new MPFI version of contessa

apart from the engine?

Did all contessa haev A/C Power steering, power windows and central locking options as standard?

What about the Front quad-lights and metal bumpers?
Old 27th April 2011, 13:33   #111
Senior - BHPian

Buying a Contessa is same as buying an Army Surplus Jeep. The latter may even be of newer vintage. As most of these vehicles are barely in service with their owners (I have seen one in my neighbourhood standing at the same place for the last three years), they will require a thorough overhaul of every component. Keep in mind that the AC would be R12 which is not available easily, so the whole AC system has to be replaced with a system that uses newer refrigerant.

Regarding costs, my neighbour sold his Contessa 10 years ago and got only 50k for the petrol version. By now they mus be going for 30-40K. So essentially your economics is around 2L for refurbishing it and the cost price of around 30K. What you get is a large comfortable vehicle, but a petrol guzzler with questionable reliability.

I would rather go for the E220 W124 and have a much better vehicle for a couple of lacs more.
Old 5th April 2012, 20:21   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, need help here.
Am looking for a Contessa ('97 model onwards) for about 50-80k.
but right here in Thiruvananthapuram it's very hard to get one and all the examples are 1lac and above. The used car guys are saying that demand has gone up, and that you can't find a good one below a lac.
Find it hard to believe as all the Contis discussed here are bought for 45-60k and not everyone buys it.
Or has it gone the "JEEP" way and has gained value for popularity among the youths?
Old 24th April 2012, 18:05   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Guys, need help here.
Am looking for a Contessa ('97 model onwards) for about 50-80k.
but right here in Thiruvananthapuram it's very hard to get one and all the examples are 1lac and above. The used car guys are saying that demand has gone up, and that you can't find a good one below a lac.
Find it hard to believe as all the Contis discussed here are bought for 45-60k and not everyone buys it.
Or has it gone the "JEEP" way and has gained value for popularity among the youths?
Unfortunately Yes. The prices have jacked up a lot in the last 1 year and as per my observation, they are the highest in Kerala. I am not sure if they are actually changing hands but the asking rate is quiet high. On the contessaClub FB page, on an average 1 new car is bought per week and 1 being sold per week. Internet forums online discussion threads have certainly impacted the price. Search offline, you might get lucky.

Regards,
Krishna.
kittigadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 22:10   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Krishna, yeah, the only reason i went online was cause there was nothing here on the proper market. Have to go across the border to Tamilnadu where again there is the problem of reregistration.
Only a handful in Kanyakumari district with the owners refusing to part with them and when enquired in Madurai and Tirunelveli through an acquiantance, said that till 3years ago one could get it dirt cheap but now most of them have been scrapped or sold.
Sheeesshh... whatta difference 4 years make to my Conti dreams.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks