Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2010, 11:48   #1
BANNED

Skoda Laura 1.8 TSi DSG; Is it coming? EDIT:No plans revealed yet

Mods: I couldn't figure out where to post this. Please change it to appropriate section if necessary.

Hi friends,

I ve been driving a honda city zx manual & swift vdi manual for the last 3 years.

Common sense has prevailed and now i'm keen to buy a automatic.

I really like the performance of the Laura 1.8 TSI.

But i'm keen to buy it in DSG Automatic version.

If it's coming in the near future then i can wait. Or else i will have to buy a City AT or Laura 1.9 AT.

Would any one here be aware if Skoda is planning/intending to launch the DSG Automatic Laura 1.8 TSI ?

Thanks.
Old 5th March 2010, 11:51   #2
BHPian

I know a couple of people who wanted to buy one too.. one person bought a civic while the other got a 1.9 TDI PD instead.
Old 5th March 2010, 11:58   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I doubt it's coming. And even if it is, I would stay away!! VW DSG gearboxes are notorious. Things may have changed now, in which case it's different. Also, imagine have Skoda's famous after sales service with VW's DSG!!
Old 5th March 2010, 13:17   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I have not come across any confirmed new of Laura TSi DSG. If you are not too keen on a petrol you can consider Laura PD DSG or Cruze Auto. If it has to be a petrol the only options in this price range are Civic AT and Altis AT.
Old 5th March 2010, 16:55   #5
BANNED

Well,

I want a automatic which can give some kind of Performance & is a Driver's Car. That's why i'm keen on DSG Laura 1.8 TSI.

1. Laura PD DSG is underpowered. The 2.0 i wish was available in ambiente/elegance. 20 lacks for L&K is too high considering you can now buy Bmw 320d Corporate executive model for 23+ lakhs.

I wonder when will Skoda put in the Common Rail Engines in the Laura ? Anyone aware of that ?

2. Cruze Auto has just been given a pathetic rating in this months Whatcar India. They say its good value for money & although the Automatic delivers power in a linear way which is better than manual it still is quite bad compared to Laura DSG, but then laura dsg is underpowered by a huge margin as compared to Cruze Auto. You can see this is going in circles.

3. The jetta dsg is just priced very high so i wont consider it although it offers paddle shifters. I believe Volkswagen should be putting in a common rail in the jetta soon as they have already done so with the passat. Well this jetta is on its last legs anyways, because a new Jetta is coming in end of this year. So jetta is cancelled before it can even come on the list.

4. There is now new Automatic Driver's car in the horizon in the 10-20 Lakhs.

What can i say ? there is nothing in the market right now i can buy with TOTAL & COMPLETE joy between 10-20 Lakhs.
Old 5th March 2010, 18:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

you have the option of the civic A/T.
or else(you probably wont choose this one) the mahindra scorpio A/T 4x4.
since the cruze and the laura is out.
you have the Vitara Auto also but i doubt if it will come into the 20 lac category.
Old 5th March 2010, 18:21   #7
BANNED

hi vina...

I considered the civic A/T... I even test drove it. Then a few months back i went to singapore to meet a friend. He has a Civic A/T and it's a 2.0

In singapore the civic is available in 1.6. 1.8 same as india and 2.0

I drove his 2.0 A/T and i found it to be way way way superior than the 1.8 A/T found in our country. I went to Honda and tried to find out if they are planning to lauch the 2.0 here but they said no.

So i dropped the idea of getting the 1.8 hoping that one day they'll bring the 2.0 to india but that never happened.

Mahindra scorpio is not my cup of tea. i just dont like it.

Honestly speaking i feel there is really no Automatic Driver's car in the 10-20 Lakhs Price Range.
Old 5th March 2010, 19:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
Honestly speaking i feel there is really no Automatic Driver's car in the 10-20 Lakhs Price Range.
Are you looking at the 2nd hand market too?
Old 5th March 2010, 20:20   #9
BANNED

hi prateek, i'm slightly scared of 2nd hand cars because you never know what you will get.

but do u have any suggestions ?
Old 5th March 2010, 20:25   #10
Team-BHP Support

Rumour has it that Skoda have got the 1.8tsi approved by ARAI but are relunctant to release it since it might harm the sales of the superb
Old 5th March 2010, 20:37   #11
BHPian

I believe that 2nd hand cars are great value for money provided they are maintained well. Just sometime back, I was also looking for a auto sedan and my mind was on a Laura. (I finally settled for a Corolla A/T).

Yes, you need to do your homework correctly before buying a 2nd hand car. In your budget, you might just get an Honda Accord A/T. Low maintenance, nicely loaded and Japanese reliability. Or how about a '07 Honda CR-V if you like?

A 2nd hand Japanese car is generally a better buy than a 2nd hand European car. In most of the cases, you can blindly trust a Japanese car, the main reason being it's bulletproof reliability and low on gadgets which tend to malfunction on the European cars.

P.S : Can you mention your budget? The cars I mentioned are assuming your budget is 15-16l.

Last edited by prateekm : 5th March 2010 at 20:45.
Old 5th March 2010, 21:09   #12
BHPian

Why not check out the Corolla Altis Auto?? And if you are open to SUV's then the Captiva?
Old 5th March 2010, 21:32   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well,

I want a automatic which can give some kind of Performance & is a Driver's Car. That's why i'm keen on DSG Laura 1.8 TSI.

What can i say ? there is nothing in the market right now i can buy with TOTAL & COMPLETE joy between 10-20 Lakhs.
can i suggest a 2nd hand car? you will probably get an excellent condition honda accord v6 in your price. its an automatic and it does give 'some' kind of performance. the only negative is the slightly sloppy handling and fuel economy.
Old 5th March 2010, 21:36   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Rumour has it that Skoda have got the 1.8tsi approved by ARAI but are relunctant to release it since it might harm the sales of the superb
ajmat, thats beautiful news, hopefully we can have a official word by any of the major car magazines or skoda themselves. but i guess till then i cant consider it as a valid option.

prateek, congrats on your corolla a/t. hows the gear changing in that. smooth as DSG ?
Also my budget is between 10-15 lakhs. if i decide to spend more than that, then i'll go straight for the 23 lakhs for the 320d corporate executive edition. Accord A/T & CRV a/t are very good options. It's just i'm so scared of going 2nd had because i've seen a lot of my friends getting Bad cars which looked good. These re-sellers make the car look like brand new and a non-technical person like me will never be able to make out what is the condition of the car on the inside ???

Akshay, from all the reviews i've read it seems that the corolla altis auto has very negatives reviews on it's steering feedback & handling. Please correct me if i'm wrong ? I'm looking at, if not too good but atleast a decent Driver's Performace car !! Unfortunately Captiva does not excite me ! And it does not have very good reviews being a driver's car !
Old 5th March 2010, 22:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Laura PD DSG is underpowered. The 2.0 i wish was available in ambiente/elegance. 20 lacks for L&K is too high considering you can now buy Bmw 320d Corporate executive model for 23+ lakhs.
Just thought I'd point out here, you're comparing OTR to ex-showroom. The Laura L&K is ~20L OTR while the 320d CorpEd is 23.95 ex-showroom (and since you're from Mumbai, that's 28.71L OTR).

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 5th March 2010 at 22:25.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks