Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2010, 02:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

No loans. It will be cash down. Sonata / Elantra sound to be good prospects too. They will be driven around but I would like to have a car which both me and my brother would love to drive in hills whenever we are there for the vacations, but its just a small technicality. Ok NHC is better but still I prefer the looks of the OHC, but if the verdict is heavily in favour of NHC Ill scout around for them too.
Old 21st March 2010, 12:57   #17
BHPian

baleno parts are very i repeat very expensive.whole suspension overhaul will cost you around 50k.but it is still great car to drive.
Old 21st March 2010, 18:33   #18
BHPian

Hi wanderernomad,

I owned NHC from 2005 till Feb 2010 (yups had to sell it last month), I did around 97000 Kms in all these 5 years and all I can say is that it is an Excellent car for a family, BTW, in first 2 years it had hardly travelled 15K as was primarily used by my dad for his office travel.

It is generous in terms of space, driveability, Comfort, etc, The interiors still looks a lot fresher than some of the cars currently available and much much better than the ANHC. All these 5 years, it gave me an excellent mileage of 15+ with AC in all kinds of driving situations.

You will get a decent NHC 2005-06 model within your range, in 2006, the facelilfted ZX version was launched, it only had some exterior tweaks, the interiors were almost the same except the changed Speedo-console.

I spent close to nothing on it except regular service, oil changes, Tyre Change - 2 times at 40K and 90K, in the entire period of 5 years, even the stock battery lasted for 4 years, the service cost was also very reasonable, each being less than 2-2.5K. The spares are also not very costly.

The engine had the same punch and was as good as new even after 5 years of enthusiastic usage, the interiors were just like new maybe because of the reason I hardly drove it with windows scrolled down. The suspension, clutch, timing belt all were in excellent conditions even after driven 97000 kms in all kinds of extreme conditions. BTW, I was based in gurgaon and Roads there are pathetic.

I have taken this vehicle back to back with numerous times to Nainital, Ranikhet, Manali, Shimla, Rohtang, Mount Abu, Jaipur, Agra, Lucknow, Kanpur, Amritsar, Ambala and even remote villages in UP but it never failed or gave any issues at all. I have also driven at a stretch of more than 600 kms without stoppage and the comfort is just too good. We had to drive for long distances (200+ kms) even with 4 people on the rear seat and it was still comfortable.

Also, because of the high seating, old people will not face any issues while ingressing/egressing from the car, also, the rear seat is extremely comfortable.

The only 2 problems that NHC has is low GC and somewhat lower braking performance. The low GC problem can be easily solved by upgrading tyres to 185/65 R14 profile, I would not recommend R15s as it would greatly affect the Ride Quality, The braking performance would also increase with the tyre profile change, however do not expect a huge but a noticeable difference.

At the end, I would definitely recommend NHC to you, even if it has to be self-driven or by a driver.

Last edited by shantanumishra : 21st March 2010 at 18:34.
Old 3rd April 2010, 01:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

How much would a NHC cost for a 2006-07 model with about 50K on the odo? Anyone knows a elantra or a sonata being up for sale in NCR?
Old 3rd April 2010, 03:36   #20
BHPian

HI All,
I hope I am posting my query in the right place.
For the past one and half year since I have been following team-bhp forum, I see amazing reviews about swift and few other cars. I know face a similar situation like @wanderernomad. Following details would give you an idea for what I am looking for:

1) Requirement:
=>Second hand car

2) Why?
1) Require it for few months (7-8), then I am planning to go out (still a plan).
2) Avoid depreciation costs for such a short time.

3) Cars I am looking for:
Both hatchback or a short sedan as follows.
1) Swift -- Petrol or Diesel. But I am not getting it at good price. This car enjoys maximum resale price. I can add few thousands to get a new one (courtesy true value).
2) Alto -- Again same reason as above. Please who are planning to sell it, think it as it is a sedan especially true value guys and other dealers(no offense intended).
3) Spark -- Good car. But very few in resale market. Worried about its resale as well.
4) Old Honda City 1.5 -- Exotic and rare species to find. Why people keep this car for so long time? -- is justifiable, but not good for me.
5) Aveo -- Good looking car. I have read mixed reviews in team-bhp about it. Not sure if I should go for it.
6) Honda city NHC : I have read mixed reviews in team-bhp about it.Not sure about its highway manners or city drivability and maintainance costs.

4) My concerns:
1) I love to travel, but never owned one in Bangalore, so bit frightened to drive a big car in terrible traffic of Bangalore.
2) How much would be the maintainance of these cars, which one would be lowest and best to maintain ? Is NHC 2005 model good bargain for our roads?
3) Adding to point 2 above which car is also best in terms of drivability in city as well as outside city (on highways and other terrains)?
4) Would petrol make sense or is it diesel that I should go for? I have inclination for Diesel but it is rare to get one in good shape and even it is available, it is costly.
5) As price of new vehicles are about to increase further in April, does buying new car from any of the one above, makes sense (one of IT field limitations)?
6) How much kms a car (from the ones above) should have traveled to be considered a safe buy (not looking for 60+ old cows )?
7) Not sure how Hyundai and fiat cars are in terms of matching the criteria above. I have less liking for them.

5) My budget:
1) For alto / spark -- 2-2.5 lakhs.
2) For Swift --3-3.25 lakhs (bit higher if it is diesel).
3) For Honda / Aveo -- 3.5 lakhs or less.

I would appreciate if team-bhp members pour in their ideas to help me get this dilemma off my head and get a new car, even if that means you suggest a completely different car or approach to search a used car.
Old 7th April 2010, 12:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

The offers I have now:-
1. Hyundai Accent 2008, Petrol, Done 28K (dealer) asking price 3.5 L. This is the one before the Executive model. Doesnt have central locking and leather wrapped steering.
2. Honda City, 2005, GXI, done 38k (same dealer as above, I wonder if 28K and 38K is a mere coincidence or what) asking price 4.5L.
3. Lancer Cedia, 2008, Sports, done 28K (any guesses about the dealer?lol) asking price 5.5 L. Overshoots my budget.
4. Honda City, OHC 1.5 (not vtech), mileage yet to be confirmed, Asking price is about 3.5L.

Guys, comments please especially about the prices.
Old 7th April 2010, 13:12   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
1. Hyundai Accent 2008, Petrol, Done 28K (dealer) asking price 3.5 L. This is the one before the Executive model. Doesnt have central locking and leather wrapped steering.
2. Honda City, 2005, GXI, done 38k (same dealer as above, I wonder if 28K and 38K is a mere coincidence or what) asking price 4.5L.
3. Lancer Cedia, 2008, Sports, done 28K (any guesses about the dealer?lol) asking price 5.5 L. Overshoots my budget.
4. Honda City, OHC 1.5 (not vtech), mileage yet to be confirmed, Asking price is about 3.5L.

For Delhi, all those prices are very high. The Cedia price looks reasonable. I think you need to seriously re-consider the dealers whom you are working with.

If you were going to drive, I would have suggested a Fiesta with my eyes closed.
Old 7th April 2010, 17:23   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post

First preference would be the 2 yr old Cedia, with 28k on odo. It is worth the price indicated. Its much better car than it is priced for. You will have no worries about maintenance as well. If you could stretch your budget (may be a short term loan) will certainly be worth for the next 3-4 yrs

Second one would be Accent, which is again only 2 yrs old, has less miles, very reliable and good A** by Hyundai. Maintenance friendly. Slightly aged model. Price seems to be a bit on the higher side. If you can negotiate it for 3L, this is a good deal.

Third one will be the 2005 Honda City. Nice car, gives a premium feel. My friend in Coimbatore bought a 2006 Honda City GXI (6 months back) done 40k for 4.25 lakhs. Well maintaind car with good ICE setup. Try to bring it to 4, which is also within your budget.
Old 7th April 2010, 17:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hey wandernomad, have a look at the carwale's 'used car price check'. You get an estimate of the the price for the particular model
Old 8th April 2010, 15:40   #25
BHPian

HI shantanumishra and other Bhpians,
I am too facing similar dilemma. I have narrowed down my choices to used swift ZXI and NHC gxi, based on owner responses here. Now I am confused among these 2. Thus calling all NHC and Swift zxi owners to comment which one would be better choice in used car in terms of :
reliability, driving experience, maintainance, space, ease to drive in city and on highways. Just an FYI -- I am not a expert driver. Could not find any seperate thread that compares these 2 cars.
I tried posting a separate thread but it was merged in used car prices check.
Old 8th April 2010, 15:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
I am too facing similar dilemma. I have narrowed down my choices to used swift ZXI and NHC gxi, based on owner responses here. Now I am confused among these 2. Thus calling all NHC and Swift zxi owners to comment which one would be better choice in used car in terms of :
reliability, driving experience, maintainance, space, ease to drive in city and on highways. Just an FYI -- I am not a expert driver. Could not find any seperate thread that compares these 2 cars.
You are comparing apples to oranges. Apart from hatch/sedan comparison, they belong to different segments too. No point comparing a 5L odd car to 9L odd car. Reliability? Both are, but Honda's out do Maruti. Maintenance? Swift is obviously cheaper (again wrong comparo). Space? Sedan obviously. Easy to drive in city? Hatch back's any day.

Ask yourself if you really need the boot, if yes, buy the city or buy the swift
Old 8th April 2010, 16:00   #27
BHPian

Thanks Sachin,
As I mentioned, I am looking for a used car, and right now in Bangalore's used car market, a good swift zxi price is equal to a good 2005-06 NHC and hence the confusion.
regarding the boot not necessary but does it offers extra stability to the car?
Old 8th April 2010, 16:38   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
Even though these two cars are not directly comparable - I would say the NHC would be better of the two. Why? Apart from the added boot and a more spacious car, the City GXI also has much better interiors (personal opinion) and should return you better mileage as well(the old Swift Petrol engines were not exactly known for their mileage - don't know what changes the K series engines have brought about). The City also behave well in the City - in terms of handling and maneuvering that is.
Old 8th April 2010, 17:03   #29
BHPian

Thanks @Cesc,
This is what I was looking for. How about driving experience? I know swift is fun to drive but is NHC not good in itself? I believe you own NHC.
Old 8th April 2010, 17:44   #30
BHPian

Hi Anand,

IMO, any way you compare, the NHC would seem a better city car than Swift, you get a big boot, Excellent Interiors as compared to the Swift, Bigger and better Rear Seat than the Swift (We all know how cramped rear seating swift has).

In terms of city driving you will not face much issues because the overhangs are not that huge for the NHC. The Fuel Efficiency, for sure, you would get much better than the swift (least I got was 15 KMPL with 100% AC usage).

Service Cost, Mine NHC was cheaper to service than my WagonR

Last edited by shantanumishra : 8th April 2010 at 17:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks