Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2010, 11:16   #76
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the Cruze yesterday. The interiors were good looking but the quality was not very good and seemed a lil cramped compared to the Altis and the Civic. The clutch was very weird, stalled the car twice. Altis and Civic are much easier to drive than Cruze. It was difficult to drive in traffic because of the turbo lag, but on empty roads the acceleration is awesome!! The diesel engine was pretty refined.
aparth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2010, 12:42   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarwaka View Post
Guys...need some help in choosing b/n the SX4 and the i20 (somehow don't like the edges on the City ). I have a Ford Ikon currently but need a new car as I'm now having some issues getting in/out of the car and on longer drives (I'm 6'6")...and primary selection criteria are:

1. Enables easy city driving (have a Fusion that can be used for highway drives) with ease of parking, etc
2. Reasonable mileage...going for petrol coz my usual travel is <20Km / day
3. Peppy image
4. Good height...of course...
5. Features..Electric ORVMs, Integrated audio, ABS, Airbags, etc...
6. Budget of sub 10 Lakhs (as I'm not selling my 1.6 Zxi...it's just too awesome to let go at a price of ~1.5L or so)

Took TDs of both today and IMO:

SX4 - response similar to Fusion, great space, huge boot, neat features...humongous tyres give an increased level of comfort...priced at 9L post discount

i20 - awesome looks (exterior & interior with the new blue lights) easier manouverability, lower response, good features for sure...not all that peppy..priced at 7L no discount

I realize that these 2 cars are in different segments...but having done helluva lot of research, narrowed it down to them and am now confused..! Somehow, unable to spend close to a Million bucks on a 'Maruti' (NO OFFENCE to Suzuki San, etc...it's just my feeling) in my mind... PLEASE HELP!!!!
Have you taken a test drive of i20 ? You have mentioned you are 6'6'' and I feel the head room on driver's seat would be too less for you. Just my feeling. i20 otherwise is a good car - however, a Hatch and you will never feel the sedan experience in that. And it should not be compared with SX4 anyway. You could check Linea for all your features, but the seating is a bit low.
Old 24th May 2010, 14:13   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Question here re the 1.6s - how does the ground clearance compare to the median? I realize that the SX4 rules here, but is the Ford worse than most sedans in the class? Or is it acceptable?
And how does the effective boot size compare to other same size sedans? Decent enough?
The ground clearance on the 1.6S is 168 cms, but it will hardly ever bottom out due to the stiffer rear suspension. I guess the boot size at 430L is decent enough for me. There are no weird obstructions anywhere. Take a look yourself.

aparth, have you TD-ed the Laura yet? It will blow everything away, but if you take a decision with your head rather than with your heart, you will pick the Civic.

Last edited by Gilead : 24th May 2010 at 14:15.
Old 24th May 2010, 14:59   #79
Senior - BHPian

^
Ill td the Laura in a few days. If i take a decision with my head it will be Altis but my heart beats for Laura or Civic
Old 25th May 2010, 00:42   #80
BHPian

I have no intentions to hijack the thread and post my requirements here, but just saw the first post and found it very very similar to my requirements. I'm planning to buy a car in 7-10(+1 max) range and have shortlisted ANHC, Fiesta 1.6S and Linea ( only if T jet comes in ). I can wait till the year end for the car.

Here are my requirements in the order of priority;
1. Accelaration/driveabilty/FTD : I should be the first one to cross the red light when driving. I for sure need very qiuck acceleration 0-60( 0-80) is fine for me.
2. Mileage and
3. Decent Re-sale value; will sell it in in 3-4 yrs.

Please let me know, which car do you think fits in the budget.
Appreciate your help.

Thanks
Sudhir
PS: I will be the only one driving the car,with just my fiance( wifey in futute)
Old 25th May 2010, 16:20   #81
Senior - BHPian

Acceleration/Driveability/FTD-> 1.6S. Great engine and a suspension fine tuned for handling.

Mileage-> ANHC. You will get 9-10 on the 1.6S. Couple of my colleagues driving ANHCs get 10-12.

Decent re-sale-> ANHC again. But then you end up paying 2.5L more than the 1.6S in the first place so factor that in as well.

The dark horse is the Linea T Jet. It just might be worth waiting for it. Anyway, if you are planning to buy at the end of the year, you may want to wait for the 120 BHP Fiesta hatch as well. Should be a scorcher and much faster than these 3 sedans.

Last edited by Gilead : 25th May 2010 at 16:32.
Old 25th May 2010, 21:23   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Acceleration/Driveability/FTD-> 1.6S. Great engine and a suspension fine tuned for handling.

Mileage-> ANHC. You will get 9-10 on the 1.6S. Couple of my colleagues driving ANHCs get 10-12.

Decent re-sale-> ANHC again. But then you end up paying 2.5L more than the 1.6S in the first place so factor that in as well.

The dark horse is the Linea T Jet. It just might be worth waiting for it. Anyway, if you are planning to buy at the end of the year, you may want to wait for the 120 BHP Fiesta hatch as well. Should be a scorcher and much faster than these 3 sedans.
I have another doubt regarding Torque and BHP . I agree i'm not a technical guy to understand the concept in depth ( I am a CA- pure fin guy), but as far as I understand; good torque will help u with faster of the mark then u need the bhp curve to carry it to the top speeds.. idealy u need a combination.. torque means more lugging power vs bhp higher top speeds.

Now my question is ANHC is 1497 CC 116 bhp @6600 rpm and 14.9 kgm of torque @ 4600 rpm,weight 1100 kgs and Fiesta 1.6S is 1596 CC ( > 100 CC) 101 BHP (<15bhp) @ 6600 rpm ( same) and 14.9 Kgm of torque @ 3400 rpm( lower rpm) and weight 1130 kgs(> 30 kgs). ANHC 0-60 is 4.8 secs and Fiesta is 5.4 secs, shouldnt the fiesta be faster atleast at 0 -60 level ? 0-100 I can still understand that bhp will come into play.

Please correct my understanding. Happy to learn.

Thanks
Sudhir
Old 26th May 2010, 10:46   #83
Senior - BHPian

sudhir, I am not a technical guy either, but I think making max torque at a lower RPM is any day better. The Fiesta and City made identical peak torque but at different RPMs.

From smartcat's thread (ACI data)

0-60
City: 4.58
Fiesta: 4.78

0-100
City: 10.48
Fiesta: 11.43

20-80 in 3rd gear- probably the most important one as its a proxy for in city driveability

Fiesta: 11.73
City: 12.86

Anyway these figures are purely academic and will vary widely for different people. Just drive both and decide which one feels faster and more fun for you. The handling characteristics of a 1.6S can only be experienced in a drive.
Old 26th May 2010, 18:24   #84
Senior - BHPian

When is the new civic coming to India? I heard its been delayed by a year or so..
Old 26th May 2010, 19:59   #85
Team-BHP Support

How about the diesel Altis? There are rumours there as well!
Old 27th May 2010, 14:21   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
Hey guys,

I've been looking to purchase a new car for the past couple of days and my budget is around Rs.10 lacs.

My main requirements are :

* Great performance - Should be fun to drive!
* Should have all the safety features - ABS, Airbags, etc.
* Good looks.
* Mod friendly, as i don't intend to keep my car stock for a very long time.

Ford Fiesta 1.6S -
*Good performance
*Best in class handling
*VFM
*Neat and simple interior with good quality.
*Sporty looks.
* My only concern with this car is that after the launch of the new Fiesta it might look outdated and the resale will get affected.

Guys please give your advice and your views regarding the cars I have shortlisted. All of your inputs will be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Parth.
parth look no further than the Fiesta 1.6S. A great engine. Super refined. Great handling already proven records.
Just search the TBHP forum for Fiesta and you will get amazing threads ranging from ownership and TD reviews.
Its a great car, no frills attached. Simplicity and power is its middle name. The 1.6S rocks like no other car can and total VFM. I have just booked this car and eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Check out these threads for a detailed review...

1. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1422704

2. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1594618

3. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1195536

Enjoy your new buying experience with all of us..

Cheers!!
Old 27th May 2010, 14:34   #87
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your advice. But now im deciding between civic, laura or altis.
Old 27th May 2010, 14:37   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_rocker View Post
parth look no further than the Fiesta 1.6S. A great engine. Super refined. Great handling already proven records.
Just search the TBHP forum for Fiesta and you will get amazing threads ranging from ownership and TD reviews.
capt, you should read the thread completely first. The OP has moved on to a budget of 15 lacs or so and even I wouldnt recommend a 1.6S now, unless he wants to buy two of them. At that price point, it has to be either the Laura or the Civic.
Old 27th May 2010, 15:52   #89
BHPian

aparth. Why is that you are not trying the Cedia Sports ? From your requirements of performance, it should exceed your expectations way above. As far I know Mitsu after market kits are not a pain in the rear end to source. Civic low RPM performance isnt that impressive.

But then Laura is also of course a very good choice, except it is fatter than a Cedia. Toyota is no fun to drive except the refinement and luxury offered is way above its peers.

Last edited by s3va : 27th May 2010 at 15:54.
s3va is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2010, 20:19   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
aparth. Why is that you are not trying the Cedia Sports ? From your requirements of performance, it should exceed your expectations way above. As far I know Mitsu after market kits are not a pain in the rear end to source. Civic low RPM performance isnt that impressive.

But then Laura is also of course a very good choice, except it is fatter than a Cedia. Toyota is no fun to drive except the refinement and luxury offered is way above its peers.
I'm not considering Cedia because of the resale value. Even I agree that Altis is not exactly a drivers car but my dad is hell bent on buying it! :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks