Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2011, 17:36   #1
BHPian

Fastest car (20-100 kmph) at 8L, 12L, 16L?

Background:

Last May when I started searching for a car to buy, I had driven cars for a total of <10 kms. I TD'ed a lot of cars at various price points but could not decide what is it that I wanted. There were such different strengths that each car possessed:

1. Acceleration
2. FE
3. Relibility
4. Torque
5. Electric/ Hydraulic Steering
6. Good suspensions
7. Good handling
8. Safety
9. VFM
10. Brand image
11. Snob Value
12. Looks
13. A.S.S.
14. Finally, resale value

I read and read and read and then some, various opinions on T-BHP. Everyone had different views on each car and I just couldn't decide what is it that I wanted? Decided that the most sensible thing to do would be to buy a used car. Drive around for a few thou kms and then decide what is it that I wanted the most.

I purchased a used Accent Viva CRDi in Aug'10. It's been just under 4 months. I have driven over 8000 kms in this period (80% discretionary driving).

I have decided to sell the car off because I now know what is it that I want.

Query:

And my wants (only Two) are very simple:

1. 20-100 kmph Acceleration:

In the various opinions that I read on T-BHP, many of you said that how does a couple of seconds in 0-100kmph matter? You are not out on a drag race as soon as the traffic signl turns green. True!

But, I've realized that neck-snapping acceleration is VERY-VERY important to me. In fact, the most important thing! (~70% weightage)

2. 170 kmph:

The other 30% weightage is on whether the car can cross 170 kmph without losing steam or 'engine booming' or bouncing.

--
Beacuse, I'm not sure on what my budget is going to be (I may come into some money!), what is the car that best suits my criteria at 8L, at 12L & at 16L price points, in diesel and in petrol?

Time period for purchase: 1st half of 2011.

ALSO: It has to be a New car.

AND, it doesn't matter whether it's a sedan or a hatchback (even though I've posted it in the 'Sedans' section!).

I have read all 'Test Drive' reports by GTO and others; but somehow, could not get a clear choice. I can Test Drive but may not always find a stretch long & empty enough to reach 170 kmph.

Pls help me decide.

MODS: I tried searching for such a thread but all that I found dated back to 2005 or 2006. Apologies if there indeed does exist such a thread!

Last edited by manishk83 : 8th January 2011 at 17:49.
Old 8th January 2011, 18:30   #2
BHPian

Re: Fastest car (20-100 kmph) at 8L, 12L, 16L?

I think Linea T-Jet will fit your bill (if petrol is your choice)..

20-100 is awesome and i can say.. its one of the fastest compared to other cars in its segment. Acceleration is very very strong.
170.. Again the T-Jet will do it in a jiffy.. and more importantly you will feel safe and not wobly at those speeds. Any car in 10l range will do 170, but how far can it take those speeds is the question! and T-Jet will never give you a sweat even at those speeds.. mind you, it also comes with 4 wheel discs for those unexpected situations.

I have done 180s frequently in my Linea MJD (my previous car) and was able to do those speeds without any fear. Handling is simply superb and its always a given in every FIAT as you may know. and that is the reason why i went for the Linea again.. (high speed stability is simply awesome).

if diesel- its the Vento D.
Old 8th January 2011, 18:36   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Vento D is a faster car than Linea T-Jet. Even ANHC is faster. And the Verna CRDi too, let's not forget the Magnum TCDi.
Old 8th January 2011, 18:46   #4
BHPian

And at 16l, the best options would be Laura 1.8 if it's a petrol. If it's a diesel, then a Laura Ambiente if you prefer DSG or Elegance MT, or the Cruze LTZ.

Last edited by prateekm : 8th January 2011 at 18:50.
Old 8th January 2011, 19:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ Vento D is a faster car than Linea T-Jet. Even ANHC is faster. And the Verna CRDi too, let's not forget the Magnum TCDi.
Agreed Vendo D is faster than the T-Jet (in-gear acceleration, 3rd and 4th) and is accompanied by good handling characteristics as well. But Linea T-Jet accelerates faster (0-100) and has a better top end 191 as reported by Autocar.

May not agree with your opinion on Verna / ANHC. They feel very light in comparison and their handling is not good (or atleast not as good as Linea / vento) and may not really fit the second condition.. 170.. May be they can do 170 but it feels really scary at those speeds unlike the Linea / Vento. What is the point in getting a car that will go all the way to 170 but will float and un-inspire confidence within the driver? just my opinion..no offenses meant to anyone here pls.

Autocar rates Linea T-Jet as the "best drivers" car sub 10L.

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 8th January 2011 at 19:26.
Sathya_sc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2011, 20:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
.anshuman, a query: Vento D is rated 104 bhp, t-Jet at 114. Why then is the Vento faster?

Fiesta 1.4 Duratorq at a puny 69ps is considered a good car to drive (and Fista is definitely heavy!).

In the same vein, Figo D at 69 ps is faster than the Punto 1.3 at 76 ps.

Why? And how?
manishk83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2011, 20:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk83 View Post
.anshuman, a query: Vento D is rated 104 bhp, t-Jet at 114. Why then is the Vento faster?

Fiesta 1.4 Duratorq at a puny 69ps is considered a good car to drive (and Fista is definitely heavy!).

Why? And how?
Due to the better power-weight ratio. Why is the Swift D so fast while the Punto is not? Not just the power-weight but also better gear ratios.

If you redline the Vento D and T-Jet, the T-Jet should do more but Vento will still have better 20-100 timings due to the higher torque and lower weight.

Hope you are considering safe driving too in addition to fast driving.

IMHO the cars with quickest 20-100 timings would be:
8L Vento D (Trendline variant)
12L Optra Magnum
16L Chevy Cruze

I'm not at all saying these are the fastest cars, just that they might have the best 20-100 timings.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 8th January 2011 at 20:24.
Old 8th January 2011, 21:01   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Why? And how?
Yes Figo D will have better driveability within the city, but Punto will be better for highway blasts (from 3rd onwards, punto will be a blast to drive whereas other cars like swift/figo will lag behind).. It depends on what you want.

Similarly, when you redline the Linea T-jet in every gear you will really have that adrenaline rush.. you know what i mean with that Turbo.. its seriously addictive..

Feel the diesel like pull and still take it redline as well! Try both the vento D and the T-Jet and you will feel it for yourself. They both have very strong points to defend themselves.
Old 8th January 2011, 22:51   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

A lot of factors apart from the Horsepower influence the actual on road performance of the car. Gearing, spread of torque and weight being some of them applicable here. The Linea has higher BHP but the Vento TDi has more torque and lighter weight.

As fuel addict has said in the post quoted below Punto loses out on Acceleration mainly due to the mismatched gearing, the European Punto with the same Power and Torque output is as fast as the Swift DDiS. The Figo in comparison to the Punto has lighter weight, this might be one of the reasons why it's faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Due to the better power-weight ratio. Why is the Swift D so fast while the Punto is not? Not just the power-weight but also better gear ratios.

IMHO the cars with quickest 20-100 timings would be:
8L Vento D (Trendline variant)
12L Optra Magnum
16L Chevy Cruze

I'm not at all saying these are the fastest cars, just that they might have the best 20-100 timings.
I agree for the reason Why Swift is faster.

But i disagree for the fastest cars here:

8L : ANHC
12L: ANHC
16L: Laura TSi, It's the fastest car for this price, Still if you find it slow it can easily be remapped to perform a lot better.

Posting some figures from ACI, which i posted in other thread some time ago:
Quote:
Posting some random 0-140kph figures from ACI, Just for reference.
(All figures in Secs.)
Linea T-Jet in 24.75
Cruze AT in 19.54
Swift 1.2 in 30.25
Laura TSi in 15.69
Altis P in 22.33
Altis D in 36.78
Civic MT in 18.58
Laura 140 DSG in 16.54
Vento D in 24.34
Verna in 21.88
Linea D in 30.80
Audi Q7 4.2tdi in 12.07
Vento P in 25.48
ANHC in 20.29secs

Last edited by .anshuman : 8th January 2011 at 23:02. Reason: Linea T-Jet time updated.
Old 8th January 2011, 22:58   #10
BHPian

Anshuman, The T-Jet figures are NOT correct. its actually 24.75secs. I will put a scanned copy of the Autocar test which gives the right figures...Check out the in-gear acceleration times b/w the CITY and the T-JET..
Attached Thumbnails
Fastest car (20-100 kmph) at 8L, 12L, 16L?-auto.jpg  

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 8th January 2011 at 23:00.
Old 8th January 2011, 23:01   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ The figures i have are from first drive report. Updating the time in my post.

But still its slower, if you compare the in gear times, the Vento might be much faster.
Old 8th January 2011, 23:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:
^^ The figures i have are from first drive report. Updating the time in my post.

But still its slower, if you compare the in gear times, the Vento might be much faster.
True, Vento has better in-gear acceleration times.. No questions about that. Its actually a stonker(read very strong mid-range punch) when you consider its competition. Thats the reason why I said, if the decision is based on speed, its either the T-Jet or the Vento D.

Honda City in my opinion comes next even though it is faster to 140 (but slower in "in-gear" acc compared to T-jet or Vento).. However it loses out big time on handling against the T-Jet and the Vento D. What is the point in having power when the car is not able to handle it properly.

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 8th January 2011 at 23:08.
Old 9th January 2011, 00:23   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ The Linea's ride and handling is one of the best side at this price point, no doubts about it. But i would still pick the Vento D over it as it offers better performance at half the fuel costs plus superior resale value and brand value. Plus if you ignore the overassisted steering, the Handling is not bad.

For cars in the next segment, the Laura TSi is fastest followed by Cruze MT and Laura DSG. Laura is more involving to drive whereas the Cruze is better Value for money. The Civic too is a excellent choice for anyone looking for a Petrol car.
Old 9th January 2011, 00:40   #14
BHPian

Quick one Manish. If you want to get the best accelerator response feel or shooting of a red light, then it has to be ford fiesta S in the 8 L bracket. TD it to feel what i mean to say.
vignesh_ny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2011, 00:44   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Please refer to post#11, it's the slowest here, though it's the best handler.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks