Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2017, 17:17   #331
BHPian

Re: Recession Again ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
. Also, the 'moolah' in management is better. .
Cant be generalized as it depends from case to case, domain, company and many other factors. If you have Niche skill, you can earn a lot more than what peers in management will and still be in demand
Old 24th March 2017, 12:05   #332
BHPian

Interesting...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/d...w/57802363.cms

1. The entry level for engineering graduates was 3-4 lakhs. Now for college kids it is 1.8 lakhs. If they hire a seventh standard pass will it be 75k?
2. Someone asked in the comments - will this amount to child labour?

Read with this post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post4168710 should the children go through all this?
Old 24th March 2017, 12:17   #333
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
1. The entry level for engineering graduates was 3-4 lakhs. Now for college kids it is 1.8 lakhs.
There are lots of engineering graduates working for 1.8L already. For decades I have been saying that IT services industry doesn't need engineers, the work can be done by 10th/12th pass people. It was merely to qualify them for H1B visa. Kudos to HCL for finally accepting this reality. I think they did it only because of H1B restrictions. If they are not sending people abroad on H1B, why hire engineers at all.

Quote:
2. Someone asked in the comments - will this amount to child labour?
The Child and Adolescent Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act of 1986: The Act prohibits the employment of children below the age of 14 years in hazardous occupations identified in a list by the law. ... Further, adolescents between 14–18 years will not be allowed to work in hazardous industries and processes. [wiki source]

So it is not child labour at all.

Last edited by Samurai : 24th March 2017 at 12:50.
Old 24th March 2017, 12:47   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
There are lots of engineering graduates working for 1.8L already. For decades I have been saying that IT services industry doesn't need engineers, the work can be done by 10th/12th pass people. It was merely to qualify them for H1B vaia. Kudos to HCL for finally accepting this reality. I think they did it only because of H1B restrictions. If they are not sending people abroad on H1B, why hire engineers at all.
Agreed. Recently went to science exhibition in my son's school. Kids studying in 8th standard were able to explain succinctly the code they wrote in Java for a music synthesizer. Then there are software architects who cannot communicate half as effectively as the school kids.

My concern is why let the children get onto the software bogie once they are out of school instead of pursuing higher education? In stark contrast, didn't Narayanamurthy suggest sending 10 thousand Phd students to US to foster innovation back here in India?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/50780069.cms
Old 24th March 2017, 13:02   #335
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In stark contrast, didn't Narayanamurthy suggest sending 10 thousand Phd students to US to foster innovation back here in India?
When NRN gets into preacher mode, reality often gets left behind.

10,000 Phd students a year? It is the toughest academic achievement, you can't equate it to some IT industry hiring spree.
Old 24th March 2017, 13:28   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Yes the ground realities are different, but that is what our country needs.

Feel when our children cannot get the opportunities like this back here in India.

https://www.americanbazaaronline.com...-bright423632/
Old 24th March 2017, 13:47   #337
BHPian

NRN talks lot of things which are not really feasible. he was one of the people who said that Indian Companies have abused H1 though his firm is also an Indian firm. Infact there was a case against his firm for having people work on the B1 in US. Talk of hypocrisy
Old 25th March 2017, 10:24   #338
BANNED

Quote:
If you look at his background his behavior pattern becomes obvious. The founders of Infy were basically left leaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
NRN talks lot of things which are not really feasible. he was one of the people who said that Indian Companies have abused H1 though his firm is also an Indian firm. Infact there was a case against his firm for having people work on the B1 in US. Talk of hypocrisy
Let is face it. Have our IT firms really risen above BPO. The answer by and large in no. It was a conspiracy of silence between both the Indian and US ends. I am sure Java programmers were available in the US. They were costlier, so the myth of shortage of manpower was perpetrated. We got the jobs, and they got cheap(er) labour. This I have on authority from a cousin who is now running his own outfit, and at one time was the CEO of an IT major.
Old 25th March 2017, 10:53   #339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This I have on authority from a cousin who is now running his own outfit, and at one time was the CEO of an IT major.
You don't have to borrow authority from elsewhere. TeamBHP has boatload of people who can speak from authority on this topic, including yours truly.
Old 25th March 2017, 15:00   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They were costlier, so the myth of shortage of manpower was perpetrated
Not just that reason alone; In US, folks love working only during working hours; in here, we love to please the authorities by working during & beyond working hours; In the West, people gain subject matter expert by having a deep learning & understanding the subject exhaustively & nothing beyond. Here, we only learn things so much as to get the work going + get to know most other things as well. While the West is master of subjects, Indians are masters of none, but jack of all trades.
Old 26th March 2017, 09:39   #341
BANNED

Quote:
You don't have to borrow authority from elsewhere. TeamBHP has boatload of people who can speak from authority on this topic, including yours truly.
Agree, I quoted him before someone started piping in that academics know next to nothing. In fact now three years into retirement I am not in touch with academics either.

Of course there are people like you in the thick of it.
Old 3rd April 2017, 10:34   #342
BHPian

With Infosys and Cognizant laying off people and Trump's stand on H1B, is it the end of the American dream for an average IT guy? In my workplace I met a person who returned back from USA after spending 8 years there. He says the situation is grim and not good . What's your take on this bhpians?
Old 3rd April 2017, 12:10   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
What's your take on this bhpians?
1. Just politics; practically, its impossible for US to live without Indian IT support
2. Situation appears grim for now because of shift in technology which is bound to happen soon. When that happens there will be more focused areas with lesser jobs. That will be a situation worldwide
Old 3rd April 2017, 12:27   #344
Team-BHP Support

Political gamesmanship is temporary. Automation is going to take away a LOT more jobs than any govt. can, and it's not just IT that's affected.

The race to the bottom is about to hit rock bottom.
Old 3rd April 2017, 12:52   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
1. Just politics; practically, its impossible for US to live without Indian IT support

2. Situation appears grim for now because of shift in technology which is bound to happen soon. When that happens there will be more focused areas with lesser jobs. That will be a situation worldwide

That makes sense. I am getting some offers/ calls from service based companies. Is it wise to take it up? I am working for a US bank in technology side.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks