Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2020, 20:27   #3376
BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
The liquidity issue is about getting the funds - takes t+5 days instead of t+2/3 days. That shouldn't be a deal breaker, there is no lock-in AFAIRC.
You talking about the Fund of Fund right? Not the original Index fund, right?
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 18:10   #3377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Has anyone here invested in Motilal Oswal NASDAQ 100 Fund?
I have invested in this fund to diversify my risk and enter into foreign markets. Its a decent fund and has generated fine results. Since it deals in equity, please do not depend on it for emergency situations where you require immediate cash.
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 19:40   #3378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
I have invested in this fund to diversify my risk and enter into foreign markets. Its a decent fund and has generated fine results. Since it deals in equity, please do not depend on it for emergency situations where you require immediate cash.
Have you invested in the "Fund of Fund" or the main fund? I don't have much knowledge about either but I read somewhere that they started this new "Fund of Fund" as well. Are you investing as SIP?
Are there any problems with selling them if any day the situation comes?
Old 20th July 2020, 20:40   #3379
BHPian

Quote:
Have you invested in the "Fund of Fund" or the main fund? I don't have much knowledge about either but I read somewhere that they started this new "Fund of Fund" as well. Are you investing as SIP?
I have invested in fund of fund via SIP. Have not sold any units until now as I am invested for long term (>15 years).
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 08:05   #3380
Senior - BHPian

MF experts - a query and advise needed.

I had done a lumpsum investment in HDFC Mid cap opportunities in 2018 to achieve a goal of son's marriage which is still 12 years away. The returns as on date has been -5.3%. The thing that puzzles me is that while rest of my portfolio has turned green, this one still stays red. I don't need the money right away but this is not seeing the growth which I had expected. If this continues the same way, my goal will be short funded. Should I move to a different fund or category or stay invested?
Old 21st July 2020, 08:23   #3381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

I had done a lumpsum investment in HDFC Mid cap opportunities in 2018 to achieve a goal of son's marriage which is still 12 years away. The returns as on date has been -5.3%.
Not an expert but you can think of switching to Nifty Next 50 index fund. Freefincal has done a review of this HDFC fund couple of weeks back.

Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 10:14   #3382
Senior - BHPian

Mutual fund managers first work for the bank, then themselves, and later the investors. I realised this quite early on (when mutual funds started) after having lost a sizeable sum (Even though the sector was healthy). Started investing directly through a friend and covered ground
Quote:
MF experts - a query and advise needed. I had done a lumpsum investment in HDFC Mid cap opportunities in 2018 to achieve a goal of son's marriage which is still 12 years away. The returns as on date has been -5.3%. The thing that puzzles me is that while rest of my portfolio has turned green, this one still stays red
Old 21st July 2020, 10:22   #3383
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I had done a lumpsum investment in HDFC Mid cap opportunities in 2018 to achieve a goal of son's marriage which is still 12 years away. The returns as on date has been -5.3%. The thing that puzzles me is that while rest of my portfolio has turned green, this one still stays red.
I believe the recovery has happened in large cap funds. Mid cap is yet to catch up. Even in my portfolio, the large cap funds have turned green while midcap are still in red. I would say if the fund had a good long term performance, wait for it to recover. Once the mid cap segment starts to recover, you should see the fund recovering.

Having said that, if you are saving for a particular goal, you need to diversify your investment into some categories like debt, large cap, mid cap etc. so that there will be some cushion during market falls.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 11:41   #3384
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I had done a lumpsum investment in HDFC Mid cap opportunities in 2018 to achieve a goal of son's marriage which is still 12 years away. The returns as on date has been -5.3%. The thing that puzzles me is that while rest of my portfolio has turned green, this one still stays red. I don't need the money right away but this is not seeing the growth which I had expected. If this continues the same way, my goal will be short funded. Should I move to a different fund or category or stay invested?
Funds that invest based on market capitalization (largecap, midcap, smallcap) can see long periods of outperformance and underperformance, with respect to other funds. I have looked at the portfolio of HDFC Midcap Opportunities Fund and it seems to be fine. You can hold on to it for the next 12 years.

But in the future, just stick to funds from Multicap category - here the fund manager invests across different marketcaps.
https://www.valueresearchonline.com/...uspended-plans

You could also choose funds based on "investing styles" like value investing or dividend yield investing

Last edited by SmartCat : 21st July 2020 at 11:43.
SmartCat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 22:45   #3385
BHPian

Quote:
I have invested in FoF but haven't got a chance to redeem it. ETF do have issue with liquidity and price fluctuations and they employ many tools to address it. But I have not bought any ETF till now. In FoF redeeming shouldn't be an issue as a fund house cannot decline a redemption request. The S&P 500 fund they have launched is Index fund and not an ETF. Looks like many people stayed away from Nasdaq 100 ETF as it was an ETF and not a fund. Having said that I would encourage you to go through the scheme document's Section 6 regarding penalties levied and pending litigations on MotilalOswal Fin Services Ltd. It doesn't inspire a lot of confidence .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Funds that invest based on market capitalization (largecap, midcap, smallcap) can see long periods of outperformance and underperformance, with respect to other funds. I have looked at the portfolio of HDFC Midcap Opportunities Fund and it seems to be fine. You can hold on to it for the next 12 years.

But in the future, just stick to funds from Multicap category - here the fund manager invests across different marketcaps.
Couldn't agree more. Infact I mentioned on this thread long back the due to reclassification of Mutual fund categories and classification of Market Cap categories of companies, though there is more clarity now for investors but the restrictions on the fund manager has increased and the performance of the fund ideally should be proportional to the freedom given to the fund manager to take calls on where to invest. Hence the m-cap based funds, quite like thematic funds, should be avoided for longer term. And only the categories like Focussed, multicap, value and hybrid funds should be expected to perform consistently overlong term.

Last edited by huntrz : 22nd July 2020 at 22:46.
huntrz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 13:52   #3386
BHPian

A peek at the company financial results (June 2019 and June 2020):

https://www.moneycontrol.com/markets...oy/standalone/

If you sort by the Net Profit (% change), you can see the blood bath!

The usual story for the past 7-8 years. The companies by the largest market cap continue to do well with some exceptions.

Sadly, the large cap based index funds do not reflect this. They have given just around 7% SIP returns in the last 7 years.
Old 24th July 2020, 14:44   #3387
BHPian

I have HUF Bank Account, HUF Deed, HUF PAN Card as well. I wanted to invest in mutual funds as a HUF. But the HUF PAN is not yet KYC compliant.
I searched online on how to get myself KYC compliant and today I went to CAMS office here in Borivali (west), Mumbai.

The documents I submitted are..
  • HUF Deed Copy
    HUF PAN Card
    HUF Bank Statement (self printed)
    My (Karta) PAN Card
    Proof Of Identity (Aadhar copy)
    Proof Of Address (Aadhar copy)
    Photograph
    CAMS Non Individual Form for KYC

Although the CAMS guy took everything and he told me ideally such KYC is done only together with some investment in some CAMS operated fund but I told him I only wanted to get the KYC done so he gave me some declaration which said like.

"I xyz with PAN# XXXX wants to do standalone KYC and will later invest in__________________ mutual fund".

I had to write some random CAMS operated mutual fund name there.
Hopefully it all gets processed but I don't know.
Old 26th July 2020, 11:23   #3388
BHPian

Quote:

Again not an expert. However I was in the same dilemma regarding this very fund.

This fund may recover in future with good returns but right now its underperforming. So I cancelled my future SIPs and diverted it in PPFAS long term with excellent performance having XIRR of 18-20% till date.
Axis mid cap is another good performing fund in mid cap, You can also think of switching over to this one.
ashish.uno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 12:21   #3389
BHPian

Hi Experts, Need some advise. I have been investing in below mentioned funds since last 3 years through SIP. The intention to invest in these funds was to accumulate a fund to pay towards a major financial commitment which should be around end of 2021. However, as of today both of these funds NAVs are in negative. I am not sure if I should continue the SIP or just redeem the amount & invest it in a short term FD. Any pointers would be of great help.

1. LNT Emerging Businesses Fund - Regular Plan - Growth Option = -18%
2. Franklin India Equity Fund GROWTH = -4%
Old 31st July 2020, 13:14   #3390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Hi Experts, Need some advise. I have been investing in below mentioned funds since last 3 years through SIP. The intention to invest in these funds was to accumulate a fund to pay towards a major financial commitment which should be around end of 2021. However, as of today both of these funds NAVs are in negative. I am not sure if I should continue the SIP or just redeem the amount & invest it in a short term FD. Any pointers would be of great help.

1. LNT Emerging Businesses Fund - Regular Plan - Growth Option = -18%
2. Franklin India Equity Fund GROWTH = -4%
This shows the risk of goal based investments in equity mutual funds with out proper diversification or risk mitigation. If your goal comes up in a bear phase your entire plan will go haywire.

The markets around the world have been behaving totally irrational of late. US economy just contracted 33% last quarter and Indian economy will surely follow the same trend. But markets in both countries are only marginally down from highs.

This contradicts conventional wisdom.Either money from other avenues is flooding capital markets or investors are being too much optimistic on a recovery supported by vaccine breakthrough. If realization dawns there is a chance of another crash which may further erode the investments made earlier.

If the financial goal is too important, it may be wise to book the losses in one of the funds with lesser loss and move to a more safe and liquid fund or FD.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks