Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2020, 11:37   #3481
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
1. I cannot see the stock holding data of this fund whereas this information is available for fund like ICICI Prudential US etc.
It is a "feeder fund" (also called fund of fund). They take your money and invest in another mutual fund - Franklin US Opportunities Fund, in this case. To see the portfolio, just google 'Franklin US Opportunities Fund portfolio".
https://www.franklintempleton.lu/inv...rtunities-fund

The Mutual Funds Thread-screenshot_1.jpg

Quote:
2. Does it make sense to initiate a US focused fund at the moment considering trade frictions, elections, etc.
US/International markets theoretically offers diversification to your Indian stocks portfolio.

However, these days, Indian & US equity markets are highly correlated and closely matched. That is, US markets might go up 10% in a month and Indian markets will follow after a couple of months. And when US markets drop, so does Indian stocks.
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 14:03   #3482
BHPian

Guys, I have a SIP going on in UTI ULIP plan. I now wish to stop it and invest in some other fund.
The thing is, there is no option to stop the SIP in their online dashboard. Tried chatting with the executives but they are a bunch of useless lots with no idea what is going on. Also emailed them but no response.
So any leads will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 10th October 2020, 12:28   #3483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikalp View Post
Guys, I have a SIP going on in UTI ULIP plan. I now wish to stop it and invest in some other fund.
The thing is, there is no option to stop the SIP in their online dashboard. Tried chatting with the executives but they are a bunch of useless lots with no idea what is going on. Also emailed them but no response.

Thanks.
You should be able to do it via the bank account from which the money is getting deducted. In the ICICI portal, you just go and remove the beneficiary. Should be similar in other bank portals too.
However, being ULIP, you might end up losing coverage or even part of the invested capital once you stop payment. But in the long run you are better off without any ulip.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 12:39   #3484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
You should be able to do it via the bank account from which the money is getting deducted. In the ICICI portal, you just go and remove the beneficiary. Should be similar in other bank portals too.
However, being ULIP, you might end up losing coverage or even part of the invested capital once you stop payment. But in the long run you are better off without any ulip.
Thanks the SIPs are done via direct debit mandate, it is not shown in the beneficiaries.
The last resort is to not maintain the balance in the account from which the SIP is deducted, after 3-4 months of reminders they auto stop the SIP (found this online) and then redeem the accumulated balance.
Vikalp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 12:50   #3485
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thanks.
I think UTI is part of AMFI. Check out your nearest AMFI office and give them a visit. You can give a physical form to cancel the SIP.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 13:08   #3486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
It is a "feeder fund" (also called fund of fund).

However, these days, Indian & US equity markets are highly correlated and closely matched. That is, US markets might go up 10% in a month and Indian markets will follow after a couple of months. And when US markets drop, so does Indian stocks.
Thank you, SmartCat, for sharing this and crisply answering many other queries on this thread - very helpful!
rayjaycleoful is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 13:33   #3487
BHPian

Quote:
That is, US markets might go up 10% in a month and Indian markets will follow after a couple of months. And when US markets drop, so does Indian stocks.
This sounds like an easy way to make money. If I find that the US market has gone up in the last 2 months, I can start investing in the Indian market and if I see US market has dropped, I can exit from Indian market. Sounds like a portal into the future. What am I missing here?
nagr22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 13:44   #3488
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
Sounds like a portal into the future. What am I missing here?

Many technical analysts actually look at US markets to take a call on overall direction of Indian markets. However, the statistical correlation between US & Indian markets can change with time - it is not a constant.

Here is an overlay chart of S&P500 (blue line) and NIFTY (orange line):

The Mutual Funds Thread-screenshot_1.jpg

As of now, investing in US markets offers no diversification benefits. But that can change in the future, if the two markets chart a different course.
SmartCat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 14:21   #3489
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks the SIPs are done via direct debit mandate, it is not shown in the beneficiaries.
The last resort is to not maintain the balance in the account from which the SIP is deducted, after 3-4 months of reminders they auto stop the SIP (found this online) and then redeem the accumulated balance.
You can approach your banker of the bank account where the debit mandate is registered and submit a stop payment / cancellation of the mandate for the future payments.
Fx14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 19:19   #3490
BHPian

Dear all, I have about 15% of my portfolio in HDFC Top 100, of which half is regular and the other half, direct. I have been with the fund for like 10/12 years. I have had booked profits twice, which were used to fund down payments. But of late, this fund isn't doing as good. What should I do? There's an active SIP running. I am 46, moderate risk appetite. Have lived through all the volatility without selling!
Old 17th October 2020, 22:20   #3491
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Dear all, I have about 15% of my portfolio in HDFC Top 100, of which half is regular and the other half, direct. I have been with the fund for like 10/12 years!
I was invested in it too. Exited a few months ago after watching it perform badly. I had to book a small loss in fact. So, you know what my suggestion is.

In fact, I’m in a similar situation with a couple of ABSL schemes too. I’ve been watching these Birla schemes underperform for quite some time now, but currently they have started to do better hence I’m holding on to them.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 05:52   #3492
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dear all, I have about 15% of my portfolio in HDFC Top 100, of which half is regular and the other half, direct. I have been with the fund for like 10/12 years. I have had booked profits twice, which were used to fund down payments. But of late, this fund isn't doing as good. What should I do? There's an active SIP running. I am 46, moderate risk appetite. Have lived through all the volatility without selling!
The Mutual Funds Thread-hdfc-100.jpg

This fund has been performing really bad in the recent past it seems. Even the 5 year return is very bad. After the recent fall in the market, the fund has not recovered in line with the markets.

In your place, I would exit this fund and move to better performing funds. I recently did a similar exercise with SBI Equity Hybrid fund which fell in line with the market, but did not recover in line with market recovery.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 10:50   #3493
BHPian

Quote:
Dear all, I have about 15% of my portfolio in HDFC Top 100, But of late, this fund isn't doing as good. What should I do?
I would suggest stopping SIP for HDFC Top 100 immediately. You can start SIP with an Index fund (Sensex / Nifty). You can also explore Index ETF.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 10:59   #3494
Team-BHP Support

Gents, HDFC Top 100 performance is lagging its peers because they have been conservative in their allocation to Reliance Industries. The maximum allowed investment in a single stock is 10%, but HDFC Top 100 has allocated just 6%. All the large cap top performers have close to 10% allocated to RIL, because that is what is powering the index/benchmark.

India’s stock index gains ride too heavily on Reliance Industries
https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le32608971.ece

Quote:
A 164 per cent surge in Reliance Industries Ltd — India’s largest stock by market capitalisation — accounted for about 43 per cent of the benchmark S&P BSE Sensex Index’s rally since equities bottomed on March 23.
I wouldn't blame the fund manager for NOT following the herd. For some reason, if RIL stock crashes in the future, guess which mutual fund will top the charts?
SmartCat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 12:49   #3495
BHPian

Quote:
Gents, HDFC Top 100 performance is lagging its peers because they have been conservative in their allocation to Reliance Industries. The maximum allowed investment in a single stock is 10%, but HDFC Top 100 has allocated just 6%. All the large cap top performers have close to 10% allocated to RIL, because that is what is powering the index/benchmark.

India’s stock index gains ride too heavily on Reliance Industries
https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le32608971.ece

I wouldn't blame the fund manager for NOT following the herd. For some reason, if RIL stock crashes in the future, guess which mutual fund will top the charts?
Thanks for your insight. Should I continue the Sip and redeem the direct lump-sum investment I had made? I have a sip (regular) since 2009 and lump sum (direct) periodically. I can park the proceeds in a short term fund, as starting a sip or switching to a better fund, in an upwardly volatile market doesn't make much sense to me personally.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks