Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2021, 19:34   #3631
BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
They would have given you a nice glossy policy document. Read up on the charges for discontinuing the policy & redeeming the proceeds. Or just call up customer care and ask.
Also be prepared to listen to endless pitches to continue with the policy. And see their attitude change the moment you cancel. I cancelled my last remaining ULIPs at substantial loss (2 lakhs plus) as I needed funds urgently and could not pay the premiums any more. It's purely my fault that I allowed them to take advantage of me. I've posted about my travails earlier on here.
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 19:40   #3632
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
As the policy documents were received on 29th December 2020, it is still in the look in period. So is it advisable to cancel the ULIP plan? If so what is the process to be followed. Kindly advise.
Yeah cancel the policy. No idea about process to be followed. Just call up customer care and ask.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 19:59   #3633
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Even i am in a similar situation wherein an advisor has sold a ULIP plan to my father who was looking for MF. The advisor portrayed the ULIP in terms of pure investment. With monthly premiums of Rs.8500 with premium period of 5 years and investment for 10 years, he was promised around 15% interest rate. The plan is Future gains from bajaj allianz. As the policy documents were received on 29th December 2020, it is still in the look in period. So is it advisable to cancel the ULIP plan? If so what is the process to be followed. Kindly advise.
If the policy is in the look in period, please cancel it without any delay. Just send a formal mail to the advisor that you want to cancel the policy and ask him/her to let you know the procedure. That should put this on record. And as SmartCat has mentioned, call customer care and initiate the cancellation.

Last edited by graaja : 6th January 2021 at 20:00.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 20:13   #3634
BHPian

Hello Everyone,
#NoviceQuestionAlert

Currently I have good part of investment in Mutual Funds. I stumbled upon a post in an another forum recommending investment in Index Funds. Honestly I tried to understand it better, but consider that I could not understand much.

Could experts here help me to understand what is Index fund and is it advisable to invest in index funds?
Also any advise on which index funds I should start with.

PS: I do not intend to switch from MF to Index Fund. I just need to understand if I should invest in index fund as well.

Thanks in advance!
Old 6th January 2021, 20:56   #3635
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhaoT View Post
I stumbled upon a post in an another forum recommending investment in Index Funds. Could experts here help me to understand what is Index fund and is it advisable to invest in index funds?
Also any advise on which index funds I should start with.
Refer to Index fund vs managed fund discussion here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post4758027 (The Mutual Funds Thread)
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 05:53   #3636
Team-BHP Support

Hi All,

Has anyone used the Valueresearch premium service for portfolio management? How good are the analytics?

Thanks in advance for all the inputs.
Old 7th January 2021, 10:13   #3637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Hi All,

Has anyone used the Valueresearch premium service for portfolio management? How good are the analytics?

Thanks in advance for all the inputs.
I have taken this service recently. But this premium advisory service is algorithm based, there is no individual counsel available(they are upfront about it). It suggests you certain types of MFs based on your current portfolio, your investment goals etc. It offers calculations on Capital gains if you upload the CAMS/Karvy consolidated statement to create your portfolio. The process of creating this is very simple and quick.

What I have realised is that different fund advisors give different calls. If you go to something like ETMoney, you get a lot of detail about a particular fund in qualitative terms (like consistency, downside protection etc).

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 7th January 2021 at 10:16.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 01:23   #3638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
On the "expert" advise of her HDFC RM my wife invested in HDFC Life Pro growth Plus(Opportunities Fund) not knowing that its a ULIP rather than a mutual fund.....

She later on realized the blunder but by then the damage had been done.
From your post, apparently your wife was mis-sold the insurance policy, in which case you could attempt cancellation. The following options are provided by the insurers to avoid mis-sell :
1. The free look period where customer is free to cancel.
2. Post the free look period too, mis-sold complaints are investigated and concluded basis facts of the case.

To mitigate cases under point 2 above, some insurers started a practice of a recorded welcome call to the prospective customer before the final issuance of the policy. This call would explain the features of the policy and seek confirmation from the prospective customer of having understood the T&C.

If your wife did not receive such a confirmation call, you can try to cancel it since it was a mis-sell. However, if the call was received and confirmation provided that the T&C were understood, then this would contradict your complaint.
Fx14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 13:34   #3639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
Friends, Anyone using "Goalwise" to invest in Regular MF and the reviews are good, in general. Re-balancing of the portfolio is what they claim as their USP and a differentiating factor from others such as ICICI Direct and Scripbox.

Any inputs on this are welcome.
Bump! (though a few years late). A friend mentioned that he was using Goalwise for his ELSS investment yesterday. I am not exactly investment savvy (actually I have no clue about what I am doing most of the time) and I don't intend to use this platform for ELSS yet.

But does anyone have any opinion about Goalwise? I have just registered myself and provided my bank account details and I was just about to go in and complete the Online-KYC. Thought it best to ask more knowledgeable members about it first.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 21:50   #3640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
bajaj allianz.
I hate this company, in 2009 a friend of my dad's made join something on BajajAllianz. A yearly plan payment due in december. So once, I skipped paying the premium amount in Dec, hoping to cancel in Jan and cash out. Logged in and tried to cash out. First shocker, cannot cancel online, you have to go to branch to cancel. So, I went to the branch to cancel, second shocker, I cannot cancel, as the policy is lapsed. It needs to be active to be cancelled. Finally just paid up in grudge, and when I checked the pay out, it was just about the premium amount multiplied by no of years the policy was active, no capital appreciation at all.

I am still paying premiums for this, at least plan to hold till maturity for the hell of it, and hopefully this pandemic can help to move the value of this stupid offering.
Old 27th January 2021, 21:44   #3641
BHPian

Hi,

Looking for some expert comments on the Mirae Asset Midcap Fund. I am considering investing in this fund and am looking for a relatively younger midcap fund with a smaller corpus. Investment horizon is 5-10 years. From the initial look, it seems like this fund has done well in its short life span.

Thanks.
Old 28th January 2021, 10:27   #3642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
Hi,

Looking for some expert comments on the Mirae Asset Midcap Fund. I am considering investing in this fund and am looking for a relatively younger midcap fund with a smaller corpus. Investment horizon is 5-10 years. From the initial look, it seems like this fund has done well in its short life span.

Thanks.
Your analysis is right. In the short term, for past 1 year timeframe this fund has done well. My suggestion is to consider this for 3 years and review the performance after the period.
If the performance is still competitive amongst its peers then continue, else exit from this fund to another Large cap or Diversified funds.

Note: For the past 1 year time-frame most of the funds have done well. So weigh in the pros and cons accordingly.
carlosTHEjackal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 09:55   #3643
BHPian

Today there has been a news that many more MFs might go the Franklin way. I am already stuck with FT and when it got stuck, I redirected my investments to two other debt funds - Icici and kotak.
Can anyone give a headsup whether I should continue or simply withdraw all of it? Because if these amounts get stuck I am in a real real problem them.
Also since I was saving for a house downpayment, I really dont want to invest in equity funds as they might go up and down and can be at a lower value when I need the money.
But if debt is also going that way then I am not sure what to do next.
Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 11:35   #3644
BHPian

Fidelity, a giant in US mutual fund arena, packed its bags from India in 2012, with tail between it's legs. Then how much trust can we place on Mirae, a Korean MF firm, hardly 13 years in India?
Old 2nd February 2021, 16:44   #3645
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Need investing advice for some specifics goals.

Income Background: Starting up my own apparel line so income may not be fixed.
But have decided to put in atleast 5-10k every month into mutual funds.

Reasons: Just blessed with baby girl and felt like i need to secure her future.

Investment Horizon: 3, 5 & 15 years.

The primary purpose is to meet the immediate requirements for her. I am sure that i will not liquidate the 3 & 5 year investment but just want a safety net.

I have already started investing in the following funds:
  • Parag Parikh Flexi Cap Funds: 2500
    Mirae Asset Large Cap Funds: 5000
    Edelweiss Greater China Equity Offshore Fund:2500

All these are monthly basis and i might invest lump some amount in some as situation permits.

Kindly review my funds and suggest any alternative approach/funds.

Last edited by appu.bhandari : 2nd February 2021 at 16:46.
appu.bhandari is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks