Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2021, 21:58   #3766
BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post

I have used the payeez and NEFT/RTGS. Payeez is again delayed by a day. NEFT credits within 30 mins and RTGS immediately. I did one purchase around 11 am for which I got same day NAV.
This is very useful info from a verified investor !! I will definitely try NEFT next time instead of Netbanking.

Just to confirm procedure, we need to add Payee, based on our CAN number and transfer needs to be done to that account as described in this link right?

Last edited by concorde24 : 27th April 2021 at 22:21.
Old 27th April 2021, 22:20   #3767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
Just to confirm procedure, we need to add Payee, based on our CAN number and transfer needs to be done to that account as described in this link right?
Yes, I have used the the account number for CAN, as per the format given there. They gave option of ICICI as well as Kotak and I have added both. But I mostly use ICICI. Works well.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 17:50   #3768
BHPian

Hello all,

To be honest, my knowledge in mutual funds is next to none (yes, I regret being late and not investing early).
Thinking better late than never, I'm willing to invest in mutual funds and want to know more about how expert here on T-BHP do invest:

- I've identified a couple of short term goals (e.g. a car & a trip abroad), a couple of long term goals (e.g. child's higher education & corpus for my retirement). Along with these goals, there's a recurring goal (for the lack of precise word), such as kid's school fees and other expenses.
- So the question to experts here is - how do you shortlist mutual funds for short term and long term? What's the criteria for choosing a mutual fund for short & long term investment?
- Is there any category which I can invest in for the recurring goal?
- I came around this app - Black by Cleartax. Has several plans for each goals - looks good to me, but wanted to see if anyone has tried it and reviews if any.

Your guidance is appreciated!
Old 2nd May 2021, 20:26   #3769
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
- I've identified a couple of short term goals (e.g. a car & a trip abroad), a couple of long term goals (e.g. child's higher education & corpus for my retirement). Along with these goals, there's a recurring goal (for the lack of precise word), such as kid's school fees and other expenses.
- So the question to experts here is - how do you shortlist mutual funds for short term and long term? What's the criteria for choosing a mutual fund for short & long term investment?
- Is there any category which I can invest in for the recurring goal?
I am assuming you are planning to go with SIPs in mutual funds for these goals. Below is how I personally have been approaching this.

For very short term goals like the recurring goals that happen every year, better to go with debt funds with short durations like overnight funds and liquid funds. These will give you similar returns like FDs but with better liquidity. I used to calculate the total recurring expenses in a year like kids school fees and insurance premiums (car, life and health), and used to invest in a liquid fund. When one of the expenses is due, I used to redeem and spend as the SIP continues in the background.

For short term goals that may be in the 3 to 5 year horizon (like saving for a car), I would go with debt funds like bond funds. These can give you returns in the range of 6% to 8%. Need to choose funds that have good quality papers. I usually stick to Banking and PSU funds. If the goal is nearer to 5 years, and if you are ready to take a little risk in return for a little higher returns, you could add a little portion (say 20%) of equity funds.

For long term goals more than 5 to 7 years, decide on a mix of equity and debt funds and invest. In debt category, you can split between gilt funds and banking and psu funds, and in equity, you could either split between large, mid and small cap, or just go with some good multicap funds. You could also invest in index funds.

For shortlisting, you can use platforms like valueresearchonline or money control. You can list all similar funds using fund selector and choose funds that have higher star rating (I usually choose only 4 or 5 star rated funds), and funds that have a big corpus (I select between the top 3 or 5 funds based on corpus).
graaja is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 15:13   #3770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
May be I am replying late, but I have converted all my funds to direct after discounting services of my advisor. Here is what I did.

- I have funds from Franklin, HDFC and DSP blackrock, So I created login on each of their website. With KYC done already, it was quite easy.
- Once I logged in, all fund details were already present , so I switched from regular to direct for all funds.
Hello INJAXN,

Searching the thread for a similar query yielded your post, which helped me understanding the process a bit better, but I have a query. Please enlighten, if possible.

Can the switch be done within CAMS or KARVY website? When logging in CAMS and KARVY, I can see my investments. I have also seen some options to switch there but afraid to click and go further.

I have my SIPs running since a decade and really want to switch from regular to direct.

My investments are presently maintained through a company called iFast financials, previously it was Maxone. Logging in to iFast account I can see all my schemes and their total transactions and present values etc.

So in case of a switch, will I have to intimate iFast, or they will come to know automatically. I believe, nothing is to be done from my side towards iFast.

Please advise.
Old 7th May 2021, 11:28   #3771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive Head View Post
Hello INJAXN,

Can the switch be done within CAMS or KARVY website? When logging in CAMS and KARVY, I can see my investments. I have also seen some options to switch there but afraid to click and go further.

I have my SIPs running since a decade and really want to switch from regular to direct.

My investments are presently maintained through a company called iFast financials, previously it was Maxone. Logging in to iFast account I can see all my schemes and their total transactions and present values etc.

So in case of a switch, will I have to intimate iFast, or they will come to know automatically. I believe, nothing is to be done from my side towards iFast.

Please advise.
I never tried from CAMS or Karvy, but if the option is available then it should work just fine. Try for one of the funds and you will find out, it usually takes 3-4 business days. You can also contact your fund house and they will guide you through the complete process. I contacted Franklin and the customer care guy helped me with step by step process.

iFast will come to know eventually, but if you have good relation with your RM, then you can inform them that you are going direct. But it is totally optional.
INJAXN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 20:53   #3772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post

iFast will come to know eventually, but if you have good relation with your RM, then you can inform them that you are going direct. But it is totally optional.
Thank you very much. Was thinking of the same to try with one and your testimony strengthened it.
Old 10th May 2021, 22:50   #3773
Senior - BHPian

Need a help
My current mutual fund investments are mix of large+mid+small cap+ multi asset Indian funds (all are monthly SIP). I reduced small cap exposure last year and diverting that investment to Nifty Next 50 index fund. None of my current investments have international exposure. Is it OK to start SIP in Motilal Oswal S&P 500 index fund now?
Old 11th May 2021, 16:45   #3774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Need a help
My current mutual fund investments are mix of large+mid+small cap+ multi asset Indian funds (all are monthly SIP). I reduced small cap exposure last year and diverting that investment to Nifty Next 50 index fund. None of my current investments have international exposure. Is it OK to start SIP in Motilal Oswal S&P 500 index fund now?
Always good to have international exposure. Its also a hedge against rupee depreciation. But S&P500 is extremely diversified. You should trim your expectations accordingly. It will be less volatile and on safer side, means return should be moderate. There are articles comparing longterm returns of Nasdaq 100 and S&P 500 and also S&P500 and Nifty 50 indices. That will give you an idea. I remember seeing some articles about it on Freefincal website about this fund.
huntrz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 16:40   #3775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Yes, I have used the the account number for CAN, as per the format given there. They gave option of ICICI as well as Kotak and I have added both. But I mostly use ICICI. Works well.
I had used this option to purchase from mfuonline via NEFT yesterday. I initiated NEFT at 1:30pm and updated the transaction in site. I got RTA Accepted status at 2:35pm. When I woke up today, I received mail from fund house on the allocation based on yesterday's NAV.

This is now preferred option compared to Netbanking !!
Old 15th May 2021, 18:33   #3776
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Need a help
I was in the same boat and have now started a SIP last month in the same MF to get some international exposure. I feel should have started long back. But better late than never, I guess. The returns might be lower, but the hedge against depreciation will make up for it I guess.
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 20:25   #3777
BHPian

Folks - looking for suggestion on managing the funds meant for SIP.

Problem statement: The way my SIPs are configured from my+wife's joint account, it is distributed across the month as below:
  1. 2nd
  2. 14th
  3. 18th
  4. 26th

So, the funds are lying idle in savings account for 14days-30 days.

Is there a way to move them to ultra short term options and then systematically transfer them back to account before SIP dates?
Something like SIP with SWP?
Ideal solution would be a completely hands-off-the wheel.
Old 16th May 2021, 20:46   #3778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
Folks - looking for suggestion on managing the funds....
Why not systematic transfer plans?
DigitalOne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 05:40   #3779
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
I believe the rule has been changed. Cannot take advantage of any market fall. The NAV taken is based on when the asset manager can use the funds. And normally unless you have transferred the money early in the morning the NAV taken will be that of the next day.
The fund allocation does not only depend on time, but also seems to depend on the fund house.

Last week, I made an NEFT transfer to MFUtility on 10th May at 7:12AM for a purchase in IDFC Banking and PSU funds. But still the allocation happened only on 10th May.

I remember some other funds where allocation was done the same day even when I had performed the NEFT close to 12.

Is it possible that the behavior for debt funds and equity funds is different?
Old 17th May 2021, 12:46   #3780
BHPian

Quote:

Is there a way to move them to ultra short term options and then systematically transfer them back to account before SIP dates?
Unless you have crores or multiples of crores, it is just not worth the hassle so my advice is to just leave it as is.
chennai-indian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks