Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2021, 12:58   #3901
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Aim is to grow the money. So that 15 years down the line there is money to finance the kids education, my own retirement and other such things. The spare money is not really enough to buy into property market. So I think it is better to put in something which over a long period of time will beat inflation.

I can elaborate more if needed.
As can be seen from your post there are 3 goals:
1. Kids education - List how many years, what is the expected amount
2. Retirement - Again in how many years, What is the expected amount
3. Others - Will need to specify more in nos of years and corpus expected

I am sure there will be many more than just 3.

Based on the above you will need to allocate the SIP amount accordingly. If you find this a bit difficult and time consuming suggest to engage a Certified Financial planner who can do the job for you and even suggest the funds.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 20:26   #3902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
As promised first version of the tool is available to extract the MF transactions from CAS statement and calculate units to sell so that LTCG is tax free .

It also saves the data in CSV format and display data in interactive cloud based environment.

sample output
The second version of application introduces major features and bug fixes with demo video Check github page for more details

Major Features
  1. Portfolio summary with aggregate data split for Equity and Debt Funds
  2. Display scheme wise Invested Amount, Current Amount, Gain/Loss
  3. Display taxable unrealized LTCG and STCG
  4. Display Fund allocation by MF scheme and MF House
  5. Handle Partial redemptions for all calculations.
  6. Handle Equity Vs Debt calculations separately
born_free is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 19:59   #3903
BHPian

Is it a good time for some lumpsum Investment in Small caps ? Or is this going to fall further? Any inputs on this?
Old 17th August 2021, 21:04   #3904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Is it a good time for some lumpsum Investment in Small caps ? Or is this going to fall further? Any inputs on this?
Please don't try to time the market. The best investors in the world are unable to do so... so, who are we? And if anybody tells you that they can time the market, please stop further interactions with that person.

Please do goal-based investing. Fix your goals, time horizon, risk-profile. Based on that, determine asset allocation and then within equity as an asset class, you can choose 2-3-4 funds to invest.
Also, for most people, just avoid smallcap funds. Go for midcap funds which give similar returns in the long run with much less risk and much less volatility.

I hope it helps.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 21:38   #3905
BHPian

Anyone has any recommendations/good experience of fee-only financial planner, who can guide a beginner towards investment targets and not too expensive? Flat fee is preferable to a percent of AUM as fee.
Old 23rd August 2021, 22:06   #3906

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Anyone has any recommendations/good experience of fee-only financial planner, who can guide a beginner towards investment targets and not too expensive? Flat fee is preferable to a percent of AUM as fee.
You may like to check https://freefincal.com.

It has listing of fee-only financial advisors and it's run by a IIT'an professor.

PS: I don't have any affiliation or experience as such. Please use discretion.
rahi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 22:26   #3907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahi View Post
You may like to check https://freefincal.com.

It has listing of fee-only financial advisors and it's run by a IIT'an professor.

PS: I don't have any affiliation or experience as such. Please use discretion.
I have just started using the service of a financial planner whose details I got from freefincal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Flat fee is preferable.
rajesh1868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 18:30   #3908
BHPian

Got an email from ICICI Prudential informing changes in the basic attributes of a host of their debt funds including the liquid, short term debt and moneymarket fund. What change exactly, the mail didn't say.
It gives an option for unit holders to exit if they wish and in case they wish to remain invested, no action needed. Searched but could not find any news online.

Anybody has more information?
Old 31st August 2021, 22:07   #3909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Got an email from ICICI Prudential informing changes in the basic attributes of a host of their debt funds including the liquid, short term debt and moneymarket fund.....

Anybody has more information?
There is a pdf linked to the word "Addendum" in the mail. I also read it 3 times, then realised this .

The addendum pdf says that ICICI MF can create segregated portfolios in case of a credit default event. Nothing to worry about.
DigitalOne is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 12:16   #3910
BHPian

I have recently bought HDFC short term fund , IDFC short term fund and Axis short term fund via Coin zerodha. I see that my CAMS statement is only reflecting Axis MF funds. IDFC and HDFC are not reflected. On raising a CAMS query, it looks like CAMS will not reflect demat folios in the account for IDFC MF. i am yet to hear back from HDFC MF. Any one else in this situation. CAMS was good way of seeing all the investements in one place. I am looking for a way out without doing additional transaction of selling depository based units and buying through other channel (like Kuvera.in)
thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 11:52   #3911

Hello! I have made an investment in Franklin India Savings Fund through Coin. The investment was done on 16th August. But till today the investment in stuck. The platform (Coin) is showing "Order sent."
I have raised a ticket on their support site since many days.
I have also complained in Twitter. Though they are responding but the issue isnt getting resolved.
What shall be my next step?
Old 21st September 2021, 09:58   #3912
Distinguished - BHPian

Got an e-mail about HDFC's Developed World Index Fund of Funds (what a mouthful!) How does a 'fund of funds' work? Do they buy units of other international funds? (Sounds ominiously like 'mortgage-backed-securities'! ) But seriously, does it makes sense as an investment, since there seem no other avenues for an individual investor like me to get some exposure to international stock exchanges? And is there a similar 'Developing countries fund', some way an Indian retail investor can invest in other South Asian and perhaps African stock markets? I'm guessing the growth will be there rather than in the Western countries. (Though I'm a total noob when it comes to investing!) Thanks in advance for any information!
Old 21st September 2021, 10:36   #3913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
How does a 'fund of funds' work? Do they buy units of other international funds? (Sounds ominiously like 'mortgage-backed-securities'! I'm guessing the growth will be there rather than in the Western countries.
They do buy mutual fund units of other funds and is basically the same as an individual investing in different mutual fund houses. Personally, I have a good amount invested in a few foreign funds.

As far as emerging markets go, no africa fund exists that is open to Indian investors. There is a fund that invests in China that has performed well over a timeline of a decade. US funds have delivered good returns too, especially the tech sector. Other developed markets like Europe and Japan are not worth investing in, they have significantly underperformed.

Disclaimer : I have personally invested in these funds below and is by no means a recommendation.

1. Edelweiss Greater China Fund
2. Franklin US Opportunity Fund
3. Motilal Oswal Nasdaq 100 Fund
4. Motilal Oswal S&P500 Fund
5. ICICI Prudential US blue chip equity fund
Ragavsr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 12:39   #3914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Got an e-mail about HDFC's Developed World Index Fund of Funds (what a mouthful!) How does a 'fund of funds' work? Do they buy units of other international funds? (Sounds ominiously like 'mortgage-backed-securities'! ) But seriously, does it makes sense as an investment, since there seem no other avenues for an individual investor like me to get some exposure to international stock exchanges? And is there a similar 'Developing countries fund', some way an Indian retail investor can invest in other South Asian and perhaps African stock markets? I'm guessing the growth will be there rather than in the Western countries. (Though I'm a total noob when it comes to investing!) Thanks in advance for any information!
Yes FoF works exactly by channeling money into international funds tracking the targeted market. There is nothing ominous about the structure except that you should be aware of the fact that you will be paying fund management expenses for both your FoF and the underlying fund it invests in. Also the tax treatment will be similar to debt funds and not like equity funds. But given the limited options for lay investors to invest into these markets, the FoFs are perhaps the best option to invest for a majority of investors.
As for diversification into other geographies, one should be aware of a few ground realities. The China stock market is extremely volatile in nature, lurching between huge gains and massive losses. Add to that the extent of control government exerts over the market, all this does not make for a very pleasant investment experience IMHO. At present there are two China focused funds from Edelweiss and Axis, both of these include Hong Kong and Taiwan markets to form 'Greater China' fund partially to mitigate some of the problems described above.
As for investing into African stocks, note that the equity market is not as developed for majority of Africa, so entry points for any profitable retail investments are very limited. Add to that a significant portion of the gains made from Africa is by multinational companies (listed elsewhere), it does not yet make sense to invest directly in Africa for retail investors.
In general, the first port of call for any Indian retail investor looking for regional diversification should still be US markets. Most of the truly global companies are listed there and you are investing not just into the US markets. Only if you have adequate investments there should you look into other markets, but I do not have adequate experience of other markets (Europe, SE Asia, Japan, etc.) to comment on them.
Sorry for the long post, hope you found at least something of value there .
yosbert is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 12:48   #3915
Team-BHP Support

S&P500 companies generate 50% of their revenues/profits from US geography and remaining 50% from rest of the world. So investing in US stocks theoretically gives you exposure to the world market.
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks