BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

I Have Surplus funds to invest lumpsum, shortlisted the following funds

1 Mirae Asset Emerging Bluechip Fund 50% of fund
2 Quant small cap fund 16.66%
3 ICICI Prudential US bluechip equity 16.66%
4 Kotak Equity Hybrid or ICICI pru Equity&Debt Fund 16.66%

Each fund is among the most
consistent within their respective categories. My selection criteria is as follows
Mirae to take a safe bet
Quant to take a risky bet
US bluechip in case Indian market falls
Kotak so that value does not drastically come down in market crash.Ok if the return is lesser than 1 and 2.
How is the spread considering a time frame of 3-5 years.
inder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 20:55   #3947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post

1 Mirae Asset Emerging Bluechip Fund 50% of fund
To the best of my knowledge, this fund is not accepting lumpsum investment anymore and for a new sip, allows a maximum sip amount of Rs 2500 per month.
Old 26th October 2021, 21:33   #3948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
To the best of my knowledge, this fund is not accepting lumpsum investment anymore and for a new sip, allows a maximum sip amount of Rs 2500 per month.
Moreover, this fund doesn’t even allow you to step-up the SIP in future.

A good alternative for this one is the Canara Robeco Emerging Equities.

I have another question too; with the ongoing ‘correction’ of the market majority of the financial advisors are insisting on investing in the Index funds. Any specific reason/ advantages of the same? Pardon my noob question.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 12:25   #3949
Senior - BHPian

MF Central is for present accepting non-financial transactions.
I find KFintech and Mycams good enough for doing direct transactions in mutual funds. All funds are there. Create login, verify PAN/AADHAR, and good to go. Can do a bank mandate too though that could mean purchase on next day NAV. I usually transact before 3 pm to get same day NAV. I have had 100% success here with MF purchases/redemptions being effected on same day if I place order between 3.01 pm on previous day and 3 pm on present day.

Read active funds not beating indexes. Now that is totally not true at least with any decent MFs. You can check rolling, point returns. They may lag indexes over 1 day-1 year but in my 12 years of experience, if I stay invested, my funds have always beaten their benchmark indexes. BSE Sensex, BSE 500, BSE 100, etc.

Example, axis midcap direct growth was giving 12.7% on 5 years as of Feb 14, 2020. It crashed to 4.6% over 5 years on 23.3.20.

Point is to stay invested for 3-5 years but do monitor for possible underperformance over 1-2 years and then switch. From 19.8.20, it has given 10% plus return over 5 years holding. From 27.11.20, 15% pa CAGR over 5 years, from 21.5.21, given 20% plus pa return over 5 years. So yes, there will be a drawdown and you might find that returns are 5% after 5 years. But that is a one-off due to Covid-19. There is the concept of volatility, consistency, and alpha. I will prefer a fund that underperforms but is `consistent' to my expected return. No point in investing in 1 year stars that flame out. Utlimately, you stay invested for at least 5 years, but for 0-4 years funds requirement, use debt or hybrids.
vasudeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 13:07   #3950
Senior - BHPian

Edit. Also if you are diversified across classes and assets with consistent funds, I find from my experience near certainty that I beat all indexes over longer 3 plus years. Index funds by comparison only invest in day nifty 50 or sensex or others. All my large cap funds handsomely beat their benchmarks. So do my midcaps and flexicaps. I don't prefer much of smallcaps beyond 5 percent of total equity, as midcaps do almost the same job of higher returns, but with lesser aggravation
Old 12th November 2021, 15:08   #3951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
I use zerodha. They are good. No tantrums or hidden changes. One doesn't need to do SIP etc(though the facility is there) you can place direct order as and when you want. I know some platforms throw tantrums for cancelling SIP.
Zerodha is made for app based investing.

Earlier I was using icicidirect. Still use it for direct equity. The convenience was outstanding there, money comes directly to bank account but their charges are high and irrational and they don't offer direct plans. Onetime brokerage or high platform charges are fine with me but recurring trailing commission to a distributor is not.
I did my first mutual fund investment via Zerodha Coin a few weeks ago.
I see no way to access/ download a statement via the website. Any clues?

I then tried to access the statement via the Mutual Fund house - PPFAS. When I tried to sign up with the folio number that website simply tells me this folio is in 'demat form' so I have to go back to the broker.

This is an issue since I am now locked in with Zerodha it seems.

Last edited by S_U_N : 12th November 2021 at 15:11.
Old 12th November 2021, 15:43   #3952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

I then tried to access the statement via the Mutual Fund house - PPFAS. When I tried to sign up with the folio number that website simply tells me this folio is in 'demat form' so I have to go back to the broker.

Quite the opposite demat form mutual funds are delivered to your demat account. You can download a statement from zerodha console. If you want you can also convert it into materialized form but it costs a fee i think.
cryptarchy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 21:15   #3953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

Coin is for MF, Kite for stocks and console.zerodha.com for reports. Transactions can be downloaded directly from coin. Statements from Console. Try via browser.
Yes the settle Mutual Fund transactions in dmat form, infact if I am not wrong they were the first one to do it in Dmat form. ICICIDirect has also recently started but its terribly buggy and their own staff have no clue about it.

Last edited by huntrz : 12th November 2021 at 21:19.
huntrz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 09:17   #3954
BHPian

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...14451.html/amp

Any thoughts on this global REIT?
Old 19th November 2021, 21:35   #3955
BHPian

Looking at the ground reality (businesses closing, the overall gloom and what not) i feel the current stock market is in a bubble and stocks/sips are overvalued.

I feel its not a good time to invest now. Am I just been paranoid here? Thoughts?
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 00:33   #3956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Looking at the ground reality (businesses closing, the overall gloom and what not) i feel the current stock market is in a bubble and stocks/sips are overvalued.

I feel its not a good time to invest now. Am I just been paranoid here? Thoughts?
I was also thinking on similar lines recently. Would love to hear others' opinions also.
Old 20th November 2021, 10:32   #3957
BHPian

If its Mutual Funds you gents are talking about, no point in overanalyzing. Markets are as it is not connected to the real economy and with MFs, your risks as well as returns are spread out and mitigated to an extent.

Keep investing and perhaps reallocate a portion from equity to debt if you want to feel safe.
hothatchaway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 10:55   #3958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post

Valuations are high, no doubt- as compared to past. Yes, allocation of some portion in debt or Govt bonds (RBI flexible interest bonds) would be warranted, particularly for those who have retired, like me.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 15:40   #3959
BHPian

goMF - Android and iOS Apps by Mutual Funds Utilities (MFU)

Looks like MF Utilities (MFU) has released it's Mobile Apps on iOS and Android devices.

Reference

Quote:
goMF is the common Common mutual fund App for the smart mobile devices. Distributors can now enjoy the convenience of initiating their customer's mutual fund transactions using the goMF App from anywhere or while on the move. Using the goMF mutual fund App, the Distributors can also view the order books to check the status of the mutual fund orders in real time.

Mutual Fund Investors who have a Common Account Number and online access, can also make use of goMF App to transact online in any of the participating mutual fund, view their unit holdings and order books.
Download the app from the respective App Store. Links as below:
  1. Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....intellect.mfu
  2. iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gomf...168654858?mt=8
Old 25th November 2021, 15:08   #3960
BHPian

This is not a fund recommendation, but just stating the facts as is

I see a lot of people pulling their hair out trying to make sure they get right balance of Large cap/bluechip, midcap and small cap allocations right when they pick the MFs.

Major chunk of mutual fund holdings (stocks held by fund managers) come from the following indexes.

Largecap - Nifty 50 & Nifty Next 50 ( Nifty Jr)
Midcap - Nifty midcap 100
Smallcap - Nifty smallcap 100.
Flexi cap/value funds - combination of largecap and midcap (mostly)

Nifty Index was formed in 1990 or 1991
Nifty Jr formed in 1996
Midcap 100 in 2001 &
Smallcap 100 in 2004.

To simplify comparison, lets assume there was equal amount invested into these 4 indexes in 2004.

Following are return figures as on Dec 31st 2020:

Nifty 50 - 704%
Nifty Jr - 917%
Midcap 100 - 825%
Smallcap 100 - 635%

Hope this helps in your fund picking.

Note: - Composition of Indexes keeps changing often and SEBI keeps doing it to make sure under performers of the index are replaced with performing stocks and index looks good . So take this analysis with a pinch of salt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks