Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 16:48   #196
Senior - BHPian

Highest Training Week

Last week was quite good in terms of training. I had Iliopsoas Strain (Upper quad muscle becoming sore) and was advised not to run hills by the Doctor. So I didn't run much. A friend is training for Paris Marathon and she sent out an email asking for company for her 36K run. Decided to join her and did my longest run till date. Apart from this, I cycled about 70Kms over the week.

Total 111Kms of run, cycling and strength training.

Cheers
Old 26th March 2012, 17:30   #197
Senior - BHPian

Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

^ Wow! those are very good numbers. Just make sure you take enough of rest.
My priorities are to achieve high level of functional ability for as long as possible in life. The muscle should have great strength to achieve your day to day routine stuff with a lean profile.

So, heres my update for last week, in that order of difficulty.
=============
> Feels like I'm catching up with the pending things at work, taking decissions bit faster than before (be it right or wrong) - need to practice this more and more - As I've been saying, this is the most critical and difficult task for me, needs the whole world of discipline
> My workout doesnt have a good pattern at this time, but I make sure I have a couple of days to cover all body HI workout in a week and it feels good - needs improvements though
> I'm 3wks 2days yong as a non-smoker now (though I dont feel so much of cravings, had a dream about me smoking, regretted and recovered of that feeling - some psychological reactions it seems - not to wrry about) - this one supposed to be easiest and just need to stay consistent.
Old 26th March 2012, 18:10   #198
BHPian

I kept assuring this is not procrastination, but just that circumstances require my attention. This is exactly what happened between 20th March and today.

20th Mar - Reached home by about 10pm, quite poofed out and decided it'll be the next day morning!
21st Mar - Morning alarm didn't ring not sure how I messed it up and woke up at about 7:45 am having missed my office bus and it was now a really long day ahead. Took delivery of my long awaited RE C500 bike that evening and priorities changed. Went for several rides with my son, then my wife, mom, dad, then son and wife... guess you'll understand the excitement of owning the bike you've always dreamt off! Then back to reality, had some con-calls running till late after mid-night and managed to hit the bed at about 2:30am.
22nd Mar - Needless to say the previous late sleeping, just couldn't push myself to wake up early. Then unplanned extended weekend outing to my dad's home-town, so had to get the car serviced and ready for the night drive. Managed to reach home from work by 10pm and left for the night drive at about 11pm.
23rd Mar - Reached destination at about 4:30am, then the usual check-in and a short nap before I went out with my wife for some important stuff that was scheduled at the last minute. Here is where I managed to do a bit of brisk walking, stairs climbing and waiting in queue for about 2-3 hours from 8:30am to 11:45am. Then got back to the hotel, freshened up and left for an early lunch by 12:30pm. The rest of the day flew by in more driving and then finally all tired ended up hitting the bed early.
24th & 25th Mar - Unofficially designated chauffeur duties. But last evening feeling guilty for not having taken the time out for some walking, took the car our for a wash and walked for about 20-25mins.

This morning it was just what had happened the last couple of times, woke up late! Now looking forward to reach home early and hit the threadmill and cycle at our Apartment Gym for 15-20mins each. During all this, my wife says to me this morning - "Lets positively start walking from Wednesday!"
Old 26th March 2012, 21:18   #199
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Update for last week:
#1 Weight-Control
1. Went for briskWalk-cum-jog on 6 days in the last week.
2. Walked up to the 10th floor 8 times during the week.
3. Attended one hour meditation session on Monday.

#2 Reading
1. Seven habits continue.
2. "Critical Chain" still on page 11.

#3 Planned 'core' work
1. Planned 'core' work of around 8 hours this week.

#4 Home-maintenance (neat-clean-tidy)
1. Kids bedroom and bathroom has been renovated recently. Spending at least 15-20 minutes daily on setting it up. The room earlier had lot of junk. Sorting through it and disposing off a lot of stuff.
Old 27th March 2012, 02:08   #200
BHPian

Weight Management:
Mon, Tue: 60 Min in the AM & 30 Min in the PM
Thu: 60 Min in the AM
Wed: Job
Fri, Sat & Sun: Festival and family events.

I knew this week would be washout so did more on the days possible.

Food
Fri Dinner & complete Sat lot of food with rice and sweets. Rest of the day good control on the food.

Hearing to a book has become an habit now I can say that!

Nothing much to report on the Photography & Birding this week.
Old 27th March 2012, 02:46   #201
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
Weight Management:

Food
Fri Dinner & complete Sat lot of food with rice and sweets. Rest of the day good control on the food.

Love your dedication! Just about when I had started wondering about the absence of your update this week, it popped up! That too at such an ghastly late hour!
Old 27th March 2012, 02:48   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
Weight Management:

Food

Great!
I too like bird photography. Lets plan together sometime!
Old 27th March 2012, 13:41   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Love your dedication! Just about when I had started wondering about the absence of your update this week, it popped up! That too at such an ghastly late hour!
Thanks!

Well I have two reasons now, one is the fear as I had mentioned in an earlier post. The second is this thread, I don't want to let you all and myself down. I don't know about other but these updates keeps me going.

I see that you both posted at around the same time, late in the ngith!

I don't know if I ever will be able to comply with "early to bed & early to raise" though the later happens former almost never happens.

The jobs I was in & work habits that I picked up over the years and the dependency the job has on the US Market + the Bangalore traffic has kept me in office at a minimum till 10 PM, maximum well anybodies guess. And a 40 min drive home even on empty roads, keeps me awake well in to the night. However I have the flexibility to reach office later in the day (usually up to noon).

Next two months should be good for the sleep at least, as today is my daughter's last day at school for this year. I for now want to forget that starting next year we will have be awake an hour earlier for the school .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Great!
I too like bird photography. Lets plan together sometime!
Sure Ketan!

Birding I have to confess, I was quite active when I was in college and have been out of touch for over a decade. Now "trying" to get back to the group who have continued on. On all Sundays there are events, 3rd Sunday is the one I am trying to get started on. Even second Sunday's are good, especially for beginners.

Bangalore Birding

Photography I have been on and off since 2007. Sure company here will sure help!

I will PM you and take it from there...
Old 28th March 2012, 10:36   #204
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by si1ver0ne View Post
I kept assuring this is not procrastination, but just that circumstances require my attention. This is exactly what happened between 20th March and today.

This morning it was just what had happened the last couple of times, woke up late! Now looking forward to reach home early and hit the threadmill and cycle at our Apartment Gym for 15-20mins each. During all this, my wife says to me this morning - "Lets positively start walking from Wednesday!"
si1ver0ne, seems like initial teething problems or inertia. Stay at it, the situation would improve.
Its Wednesday today!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fordmanchau, mannubhai, Lalvaz, Saanil, Rahul_sinha, BANDHAV, selfdrive, motomaverick, AVR,

Even at the risk of being perceived as pushy , let me ask this: How was your week buddies?

Last edited by SDP : 28th March 2012 at 10:39.
Old 28th March 2012, 12:19   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even at the risk of being perceived as pushy , let me ask this: How was your week buddies?
On the weight control/fitness front I am doing great, went to GYM on every single day.

Have increased the cardio exercise level to almost 45-50 mins, mix of trademill, cross trainer and cycling, followed by almost 30 mins of floor exercise, did weight training on one of the days and end up spraining muscles of my right hand.

Weighed least of till now at 112.060 almost 3.8 kg less than from my weight weight of 115.8 of 15 days back.

Did absolutely nothing on other fronts, have managed to read hardly a page of book I am reading, haven't used my camera for almost 10 days now.
Old 28th March 2012, 13:51   #206
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Guys, request one help.

I am about to get a bicycle in a week or two. Here's my criteria:

1. The bicycle would be primarily for 45-60 minute rides, 3-4 times a week, primarily for exercise.
2. For me, sturdiness/reliability and longevity are more important that fancy/stylish/delicate. Having said that, the possibility of me taking the bicycle to office exists. So the bicycle should look at least decent.
3. Life is tough as it is, do not want to add new items to 'maintenance' list. So something that needs minimum maintenance is a must. Should not have complex mechanics, which can be failure point as well as maintenance nightmare.
4. The bicycle would be parked in the building premises, most likely in the sun. I am a bit worried about the colour lightening as well as the plastics becoming dull and brittle due to harsh sun.
5. Not much interested in imported bicycles. Have no intention of participating in any competitions. Also, I don't think I would be able to afford the imported ones, at this point of time. Also they attract a lot of eyes and the possibility of vandalism/theft is a concern. Parts/maintenance are additional concerns.
6. Budget - Not more than 7-8 thousand INR.

The friendly neighbourhood bicycle repair-shop guy (who does not sell bicycles) highly recommended Hercules. He advised against models with Aluminium/alloy frames citing cracking issues. He was also not particularly excited about models with front and/or rear shox/springs citing failure/maintenance concerns.

Any tips/suggestions/recommendations from your own experiences?

Last edited by SDP : 28th March 2012 at 13:55.
Old 28th March 2012, 14:13   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, request one help.

I am about to get a bicycle in a week or two. Here's my criteria:

1. The bicycle would be primarily for 45-60 minute rides, 3-4 times a week, primarily for exercise.
2. For me, sturdiness/reliability and longevity are more important that fancy/stylish/delicate. Having said that, the possibility of me taking the bicycle to office exists. So the bicycle should look at least decent.
3. Life is tough as it is, do not want to add new items to 'maintenance' list. So something that needs minimum maintenance is a must. Should not have complex mechanics, which can be failure point as well as maintenance nightmare.
4. The bicycle would be parked in the building premises, most likely in the sun. I am a bit worried about the colour lightening as well as the plastics becoming dull and brittle due to harsh sun.
5. Not much interested in imported bicycles. Have no intention of participating in any competitions. Also, I don't think I would be able to afford the imported ones, at this point of time. Also they attract a lot of eyes and the possibility of vandalism/theft is a concern. Parts/maintenance are additional concerns.
6. Budget - Not more than 7-8 thousand INR.

The friendly neighbourhood bicycle repair-shop guy (who does not sell bicycles) highly recommended Hercules. He advised against models with Aluminium/alloy frames citing cracking issues. He was also not particularly excited about models with front and/or rear shox/springs citing failure/maintenance concerns.

Any tips/suggestions/recommendations from your own experiences?
post your queries here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...es-thread.html
Old 28th March 2012, 14:49   #208
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Thanks MC! Was pretty sure that I had seen this thread. Somehow was not able to search and locate it. Thanks again. Would post there.
Old 28th March 2012, 19:26   #209
BHPian

Quote:
The friendly neighbourhood bicycle repair-shop guy (who does not sell bicycles) highly recommended Hercules.
I like this guys recommendation: https://www.bsahercules.com/

BSA has exclusive & retail stores check those out (I see them all around Bangalore and have bought twice from one of them already).

And BSA cost in the range you mentioned.

Some points I have noted over time:
1. Make sure its got gears, I am no expert but the trial that I have done with two of my friends cycles, gears will make or break your experience on cycling.

2. Wide Tyre v/s Thin Tyre: Wide Tyre offer more resistance so supposedly harder to ride.

3. Front Suspension is good to have, else your elbow & shoulder will take all the impact.

4. Safety: tail light & helmet

5. Lastly, Try out the cycle if any of your friends/relatives have them before buying as the seating position/comfort irrespective of the cycle/wheel height being the same will be different...

Here is a link from one of my previous research on this subject:
How to Choose a Bicycle: Expert Advice from REI
Old 31st March 2012, 20:43   #210
Senior - BHPian

Another thing I remember that I've decided to stick with since Feb last week is to record the expenses and track the major accounts. I shall add it to the list coming Monday.

I did this for a few months using SPB finance in the psat but something that I failed to be consistent at. This will surely have big consequences if I fail to do. Started with Microsoft Money (its free now) since March, lets see how this goes. At least I will be foreced to look at what categories I'm spending and watch them closely.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks