Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 20:27   #1021
BHPian

Re: How did you come up with your username?

FirstName + LastName - pretty straightforward as I wanted to keep it that way on TBHP.
Old 21st November 2012, 23:44   #1022
Distinguished - BHPian

On every forum I ever use, I always post under my own (first) name Jeroen.
Sometimes I might have to add the first few letters of my surname, if there are other Jeroen's about.

But I will sign of every post on every forum on the internet with my own first name: Jeroen

I prefer to be known by my given name and have never quite understood why so many use something different on the internet.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 21st November 2012 at 23:45.
Old 22nd November 2012, 02:23   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
have never quite understood why so many use something different on the internet.
With instances of identity theft in the virtual world, it is better to use an alias/pseudonym for handle on the internet.

We end up baring so much about ourselves, preferences, approximate geographic location, vehicle details, etc on open internet forum that we become sitting ducks for those who can/want to misuse the information.

Actually, I would request mods to consider the request of allowing handles to be modifiable - at least in those cases where they are indicative of member's complete name.
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:18   #1024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
With instances of identity theft in the virtual world, it is better to use an alias/pseudonym for handle on the internet.

We end up baring so much about ourselves, preferences, approximate geographic location, vehicle details, etc on open internet forum that we become sitting ducks for those who can/want to misuse the information.

Actually, I would request mods to consider the request of allowing handles to be modifiable - at least in those cases where they are indicative of member's complete name.
That was spot on !
Since we never know who reads what and when, which we might have posted long back and how that is going to interpreted by different people in different scenarios, it is always better to refrain from using our original identity in the virtual world.

The best example for this is the arrest of two girls in Mumbai for posting something offensive about we-all-know-who.

And regarding the change of handles, mods should only encourage requests from members who think their identity is compromised.
For Example, if a member's first and last name is used as a handle, a simple google search can show us most of the information about that member's personal or professional life.
If a strict moderation is not followed while changing of handles, then AlokSriva can become Koenigsegg220 and vice-versa and all the members would be confused to hell trying to figure out who posted what.
(For fun sake, just imagine the situation when every member's handle says either GTO or Technocrat or any Mod's handle )

P.S : I have changed my handle in other vBulletin forums just as mentioned above, where i felt my identity was compromised.

Now i have all those virtual fantasy handles :
Koenigsegg220
Holy Crank..etc
Old 22nd November 2012, 22:02   #1025
Distinguished - BHPian

Each to its own: I think no matter what you say or write, it should be clear it's yours.

Either you stand for something or you don't. So I'm sure for some there might be genuine identity theft worry. My impression is people just don't won't to own up. This forum is pretty civilized and well moderated. Much appreciated!

But all these fake usernames/handles that are used all over the internet are also a pretty pathetic way for individuals to spout a lot of verbal bile, without ever being identified as who it's really coming from.

So, again each to its own; I think it is a bit fake.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 08:57   #1026
BHPian

Pretty simple!!
My name: Rufus Monteiro
Team-BHP handle: Rufus_M
Old 28th November 2012, 20:02   #1027
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus_M View Post
Pretty simple!!
My name: Rufus Monteiro
Team-BHP handle: Rufus_M

Like it! good for you!

Jeroen
Old 28th November 2012, 20:23   #1028
Senior - BHPian

My name + My car's cc
Giridhar+optra 1.8
Old 29th November 2012, 20:34   #1029
Senior - BHPian

Had tried twice on the Team Bhp to gain entry through my regular login name, but was unsuccessful, the third time when I got lucky I had lazily typed my login id at my office pc and now I am stuck with it, unk9ja.
Old 29th November 2012, 22:02   #1030
BHPian

When I frst started participating in internet forums a few years back, I was in Europe and most of those forums I was involved then was related to my profession. There were hardly any Indians in those initial forums and my user name was ambiguous to say the very least for others in the forum.

When I came back to Inda and joined Team BHP, I stuck to the same user name. It is famous in Kerala

Last edited by TKMCE : 29th November 2012 at 22:09.
Old 9th October 2014, 11:57   #1031
BHPian

Decoded: Username, avatar, and signature

Hi,

I've been a member of this forum for about a year now, and it never ceases to amaze me how creative some of us are when it comes to our username, avatar and signature. I thought it would be a great idea to know the stories behind them, hence this thread. I'll start with mine:

Username: I am a great fan of classic rock (read 1960s and 1970s), and the Doors are one of my all-time favorite rock bands. "The Lizard King" is the moniker of Jim Morrison, the group's lead singer and one of the most charismatic and controversial rock stars of all time.

Avatar: The avatar pic is in keeping with the same theme. I found the image on Google. While the original is a cool gif with the lizard's tongue flickering in and out, I lost the animation while resizing it to fit the forum's standards.

Signature It is a line from a Doors song "The Celebration Of The Lizard".

I hope all of you will contribute enthusiastically to this thread.
Old 11th October 2014, 23:48   #1032
BHPian

Handle: Ushuaia, for the solitary kinds this place is it.@ Southernmost tip of Argentina the place beckons nomadic, solitary kinds. Have had a strange fascination with this place missed by a whisker visiting this place.

Avatar: 2 pawprints of my current dogs and my boots. What a company of prints for travel.

Signature: Streams and troubles arnt content one when still, they like to test terrain, one physical another mental. (by yours truly)

Last edited by Ushuaia : 11th October 2014 at 23:52.
Old 12th October 2014, 07:58   #1033
BHPian

Simple. I joined TBhp when Sunfilms were banned.
Old 12th October 2014, 09:17   #1034
BHPian

Mine is from a John Mellencamp song. Human wheels.
Old 12th October 2014, 10:00   #1035
BHPian

For me it is where I studied. Just a reminder of the good times I had and some great friendships made.

Most Viewed