Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2012, 11:04   #61
BHPian

Re: Zippo Lighters - You Own

Guys. Everytime, i fill fuel to the brim and pick it up after a couple of days its bone dry. Does it evaporate that fast, or is it the weather? When I bought it in feb this year, it lasted comparitively much longer the first time, the store i bought it from put fuel in it.
My guess is my the zippo fuel canister i have is diluted or something? Does that happen?

Secondly my flame is pretty ordinary. Nothing special. When it was new the flame was great. I tried to fiddle with it and open it, remove the cotton/rayon and fix the wick through some DIY zippo videos. That didnt go so well evidently. The flame is like a candle now. And its barely wind proof anymore. Please help?

Is there any good shop in delhi or gurgaon where i can get it fixed, or is there anyway i can fix it myself?

thanks in advance
Old 21st August 2012, 20:31   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
Guys. Everytime, i fill fuel to the brim and pick it up after a couple of days its bone dry. Does it evaporate that fast, or is it the weather? When I bought it in feb this year, it lasted comparitively much longer the first time, the store i bought it from put fuel in it.
My guess is my the zippo fuel canister i have is diluted or something? Does that happen?

Secondly my flame is pretty ordinary. Nothing special. When it was new the flame was great. I tried to fiddle with it and open it, remove the cotton/rayon and fix the wick through some DIY zippo videos. That didnt go so well evidently. The flame is like a candle now. And its barely wind proof anymore. Please help?

Is there any good shop in delhi or gurgaon where i can get it fixed, or is there anyway i can fix it myself?

thanks in advance
lol, thats exactly what happened to mine. Lasted for 2-3 years and then started showing its age. 15 Rs plastic lighter is far more reliable than this.
Zippos are serviced only in US free of charge AFAIK.
Old 18th September 2012, 14:32   #63
Senior - BHPian

Since the zippo does not have a air tight compartment (age old famous design) it is obvious that the fuel will not last long but yes for that wind proof point, i have also felt like it has lost its strength
Old 15th October 2012, 13:54   #64
Senior - BHPian

some thing got broke off in my zippo and it is not working. any idea where i can get it fixed in india?
Old 3rd December 2012, 21:00   #65
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Any idea where I can buy a genuine Zippo lighter and fuel online here in India?

Vijay
Old 26th March 2013, 01:12   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
Same story dude. The zippo fluid I guess, evaporates pretty fast. It lasts two to three days maximum.
Did you try using fresh wick by cutting off and discarding the used wick? It might help you with the flame.

BTW I own two Zippos.
A black matte and a Jim Beam chrome finish.
I actually had to save money for two months to buy the black matte zippo. My friends made a lot of fun when I told them about buying a 1600 Rs lighter. But later on when they realised how crazy I am about zippos, they gifted me the Jim Beam zippo on my birthday.

Next, saving up to buy a 1941 Black Ice replica and a zippo Handwarmer.
Old 26th March 2013, 09:28   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midazolam View Post
Same story dude. The zippo fluid I guess, evaporates pretty fast. It lasts two to three days maximum.
Did you try using fresh wick by cutting off and discarding the used wick? It might help you with the flame.

BTW I own two Zippos.
A black matte and a Jim Beam chrome finish.
I actually had to save money for two months to buy the black matte zippo. My friends made a lot of fun when I told them about buying a 1600 Rs lighter. But later on when they realised how crazy I am about zippos, they gifted me the Jim Beam zippo on my birthday.

Next, saving up to buy a 1941 Black Ice replica and a zippo Handwarmer.
I've got used to the thirsty nature of the zippo. I started using it more sparingly.I love how zippo's are the butt of jokes amongst friends. My friends joke how it consumes more fuel than my car and one shouldn't spend ~2300 bucks on a lighter when you can get a more reliable one for rs 10/-
I have a brushed stainless steel one. I really want a matte black one!
My zippo hasn't been working for months. I haven't had time to look at it. I replaced the wick and the stone by myself a month back, but it got jammed really bad after that. No amount of rolling the wheel the other way or DIY videos are helping.
Getting a plain matte black one in the near future is on my wishlist.
Old 18th April 2013, 14:57   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_k View Post
Hi Guys,
Any idea where I can buy a genuine Zippo lighter and fuel online here in India?

Vijay
Hi,

I don't know about online... though I can tell you, you can buy the original paraphernalia including fluid, flint and the like at any William Penn outlet across Bangalore.

Cheers..

Vj
Old 21st April 2013, 23:30   #69
BHPian

Adding one more Zippo, a cherished gift.

I quit smoking 6 years ago, hasn't been filled and lit much of recent, but it feels nice to just hold/play with the lighter and listen to that clink sound even today!
Attached Thumbnails
Zippo Lighters - You Own-dsc04660_72.jpg  

Most Viewed