Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2012, 11:24   #16
BANNED

re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

Shocking, disgusting and ... Even now the hooligans were trying to accost the reporter of HT the next day. They deserve nothing less that a summary trial and early execution. Given the nature of the injuries it may be better for the lady to get deliverance. Also, the the charges can be made to 302 or at least 304.

What about the ex-President commuting many of the sentences of the rape and murder convicts. She should be answerable.

Now that 10 Janpath has woken up I will like a few heads to roll - pronto.

Last edited by mobike008 : 19th December 2012 at 15:28.
Old 19th December 2012, 11:34   #17
BHPian

re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

If you think this is a law problem then you are wrong.

It is more of a socio-cultural problem we have.

How do you expect psychos to treat women in a male dominated society, which I think is retrograde. Incidentally same people will keep harping the laurels of their glorious past.

I don't care about any past. Past is past, what is present effects us. We better fix this right at our level or things are not going to stop.
Old 19th December 2012, 11:44   #18
BHPian

It's not just a shameful act but the act itself is a slap on the country as a whole. On one hand we fight for equals rights without gender discrimination, pay obedience to the countless deities epitomizing womenhood and on the other hand the lesser mortals disgrace the very fabric of society.

When it comes to evolution, our society has been on the path to evolution for few decades but the pace has picked up only in the last decade or so. Yet our laws seems to remain archaic. If the punishment for murder is death and the same is awarded for even rapes what would stop the criminal from not killing. After all he cant be hanged twice. Instead hit him where it hurts most, shame him in public, take away his right to earn a living, biologically impair him, maybe even rigorous life imprisonment.

Are our law makers bold enough to implement radical measure?
Old 19th December 2012, 11:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Its the small things that these guys here pick on, to keep a lid on bigger things.
Like this proactive approach. Contrast this with our approach where we don't take any action till the incident/crime happens and then go about wondering how to fix the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
And he said that the reason they would stop cars or vehicles for ... tints that appear darker than legal limit is that it may lead them to a bigger crime being committed.
Hmm, so other countries (especially a developed one like US) also have norms for tints and also enforces it since they also see the implication. So, it is not like the Indian SC was daft and pulled the tint regulation out of thin air without any thought, like many were quick to conclude (even on the forum).

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 19th December 2012 at 11:46.
Old 19th December 2012, 11:52   #20
BHPian

First, as a reponsible citizen, let me condemn this incident as strongly as possible. Second, its not new for us and our country, and for delhi, this is definitely just anathor bead in its string of pearls. The city has been overtaken by goons and illiterates and delhites should wake up now to clean up this mess before its too late.
For Ex : I go to recieve my customer (a beautiful american lady) from the airport and when i come out, the way rick and taxi drivers were staring, it seemed that they were imagining her naked. That's not the end, they made umpteen comments to create a lasting impression about our country in her mind.

Coming to the this case now..
As per the latest TOI report, the bus was also used as a school transportation and has Tints all over. Point was raised that had the school would have informed the authorities about the bus being tinted and driven by an illiterate, this would have never happened.

Anathor anecdote related to this: The police commisioner congratulated himself and his team on nailing the culprits within 24 hrs. So what Mr. Commissioner ? Do you need a Gallantry award or want to get registered in Guniess Book ? First you and your team create such enviornment for these crimes to happen and then what follows is a self proclamed appraisal for catching the culprits. What a Joke !!!

our evergreen inept politicians say women should be well covered to avoid being an attraction for preying eyes. This uncanny approach from the selected representatives make the fear more planted. Wearinga revealing dress dosent tantamount to someone getting raped.

I hope we get strong policing, laws and determined and patriotic rulers to bring back this country from the black world its now into.

Amen !!!
Old 19th December 2012, 11:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Like this proactive approach. Contrast this with our approach where we don't take any action till the incident/crime happens and then go about wondering how to fix the problem.

Hmm, so other countries (especially a developed one like US) also have norms for tints and also enforces it since they also see the implication. So, it is not like the Indian SC was daft and pulled the tint regulation out of thin air without any thought, like many were quick to conclude (even on the forum).
I think SC's act was also an acknowledgement that our police are incapable of maintaining rules and law. I will not be surprised again if SC or some court bans diesel vehicles in Delhi altogether since pollution norms are not being enforced.

Our media needs to cover and report the trial and eventual punishment of such cases in a big way too, not just reporting the crime (if the judiciary does it job faster)

Lots of people in Bengaluru also use private vehicles which pick up passengers from bus stops. At night these are the only hope since BMTC service is not that frequent.

Last edited by srishiva : 19th December 2012 at 11:57.
Old 19th December 2012, 11:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
If you think this is a law problem then you are wrong.

It is more of a socio-cultural problem we have.

How do you expect psychos to treat women in a male dominated society, which I think is retrograde. Incidentally same people will keep harping the laurels of their glorious past.

I don't care about any past. Past is past, what is present effects us. We better fix this right at our level or things are not going to stop.
This is what I wanted to have a discussion about; The socio-cultural aspect. Politicians will be politicians, but its up to us to change something.
Old 19th December 2012, 11:58   #23
BHPian

The six psychos should be hanged in CP for a week and an example should be made out them.
This sucks. Somebody had posted this on facebook. So apt.

If Gandhi would have been alive today, he would have recommended 4 monkeys. The 4th one holding his crotch. #StopCrimeAgain*stWomen

And after all this our CM tells us that the Bus's license to ply on Delhi roads has been cancelld. Wow. That should teach them a lesson.
Old 19th December 2012, 11:59   #24
BANNED

I have a feeling that the politicos are hoping that with the poll results tomorrow the spotlight will shift. I only hope it comes back to this incident a day later.
Old 19th December 2012, 12:00   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
What you say is true. Infact I agree with your previous posts that there is no one step cure to this problem. Any solution has to take into account the complete falling apart of our system and action should then be started by suspending the policemen on duty for letting the bus ply on an illegal route and in violation of its duty hours.

But until we reach such levels of sophistication a couple of strict and gruesome punishments might act as a deterrent for atleast the comparatively weak-hearted criminals. It is just like using Baygon spray in our homes used for killing mosquitoes. The permanent cure is to improve the environment and make it unfit for mosquito breeding. But until then you just keep shifting to a repellent of higher strength to keep off as many of them as you can. I know the example may not be the best one but I hope you get the drift of my post.

Edit: As a resident of Delhi I sometimes even agree to an extent with those politicians who advocate " self preservation" to women in our society. It may sound democratically flawed but then practically makes sense since the law and administration are sleeping, your safety is in your own hands.
I would suggest for women to at least take self defense classes, maybe arm themselves with a knife or another type of weapon. If women are going to be attacked like this, they should be able to defend themselves knowing that there is a complete break down of law and order ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I think SC's act was also an acknowledgement that our police are incapable of maintaining rules and law. I will not be surprised again if SC or some court bans diesel vehicles in Delhi altogether since pollution norms are not being enforced.

Our media needs to cover and report the trial and eventual punishment of such cases in a big way too, not just reporting the crime (if the judiciary does it job faster)

Lots of people in Bengaluru also use private vehicles which pick up passengers from bus stops. At night these are the only hope since BMTC service is not that frequent.
As soon as 10 -11 pm hits in Bangalore, things really become sketchy in some places. Even where I lived and still have a Flat; on New BEL road, it really isn't safe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have a feeling that the politicos are hoping that with the poll results tomorrow the spotlight will shift. I only hope it comes back to this incident a day later.
This needs to be shouted from the rooftops, day after day, without fail, so that at least people can start having a conversation in their own homes and wherever they gather as to how to respect women.

Note from Team-bhp support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread!

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th December 2012 at 12:39. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 19th December 2012, 12:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
As soon as 10 -11 pm hits in Bangalore, things really become sketchy in some places. Even where I lived and still have a Flat; on New BEL road, it really isn't safe...

Unfortunately, that's true for some places even in the otherwise most modern cities in US. Go to chicago or Michigan or Detroit and you will come across many places/downtowns where you are not recommended to visit late night. You will be mugged.

We cannot stop crime, that's in conjunction with our society because good and bad coexist. What we can do is to create a sense of responsiveness, remove corruption (criminals know how to bypass and tame cops) and get and implement strict laws to create that fear among thse criminal minds of the repercussions.
Old 19th December 2012, 12:33   #27
BHPian

I dont know if anyone remembers the case of Aruna Shaunbag. She was a nurse who was raped in her hospital and is left in absolute vegitative condition for almost 40 years. The rapist walked free after 7 years of prison and is living a normal life somewhere. The authorities seem have given him a identity protection.

If a lady should suffer for all her life, because she was "rude" to a guy, and he can walk out in 7 years , it shows how pathetic our laws are.

We live on laws made in 1800s and for some reason time seem to have frozen over them.

I wrote this in my blog, http://ctmanoj.blogspot.in/2012/10/t...ice-aruna.html

* It may sound harsh in the blog, but that is the reality, and we need a mass awakening , and not just some FB posts and candle light marches.
Old 19th December 2012, 12:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
I dont know if anyone remembers the case of Aruna Shaunbag. She was a nurse who was raped in her hospital and is left in absolute vegitative condition for almost 40 years. The rapist walked free after 7 years of prison and is living a normal life somewhere. The authorities seem have given him a identity protection.

If a lady should suffer for all her life, because she was "rude" to a guy, and he can walk out in 7 years , it shows how pathetic our laws are.

We live on laws made in 1800s and for some reason time seem to have frozen over them.

I wrote this in my blog, http://ctmanoj.blogspot.in/2012/10/t...ice-aruna.html

* It may sound harsh in the blog, but that is the reality, and we need a mass awakening , and not just some FB posts and candle light marches.
I absolutely agree with you. If this is face that India presents to the world, then India has no right to criticize others. I always used to ask my friends as to why people wouldn't stand up for the common good and decency; no one had a real good answer other than human life isn't worth very much..
Old 19th December 2012, 12:42   #29
BHPian

I've not read the responses here. But, I feel that we are responsible for a lot of things happening around us. If we blame the government, it is the government that we voted for (or elected by not voting).

I believe that we can contribute for changing whatever we believe is bad. If we feel bad about others not obeying traffic signals, set an example. I've noticed others stopping at red lights, because a car has stopped even though a policeman is not around. Security guards will do a better job, if they are wished and smiled whenever we meet them. Examples galore.

In this particular case, apart from handing out a suitable punishment, we should instill respect for law, not just fear. We can't blame the police all the time saying that they did not do their job properly. After all, they are short staffed, demotivated and over worked.

Last edited by sa_kiran : 19th December 2012 at 12:44.
Old 19th December 2012, 12:50   #30
Oxy
BHPian

I agree with Mr. Rohit Bal, a leading fashion designer.

According to him, the best punishment for a rapist would be to cut off his genitals. Simple as that. Pass this law and see the difference it makes.

We are in dire need of some strict criminal laws. In a place like Singapore, there is literally zero crime, why can't we try to emulate them in this department?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks