Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2013, 11:49   #466
BHPian

re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
There is something called 'due process of law'. Any person has a right to be heard/represented in court, so all this 'innocent till proven guilty' treatment is essential.

Say, if you or me was picked up by the police and added as the 7th accused, how are we going to prove that we are innocent? Where do we get to prove that? And how?

It is a regret that the legal procedures are time consuming and this time delay is misused; but this cannot be a reason to scrap the existing process.
But the problem is that for most anything you are assumed guilty in India, who is going to do something about that ? Most of the police force is just as bad as the criminals, if not worse . The rapists here are most definetly guilty though, no doubt about that; I mean one of them already admitted to it.
Old 10th January 2013, 12:03   #467
Senior - BHPian

As the discussions go on, I can already see the newspapers taking this case off their front pages, people's movement in the capital has gone down, media reports have shifted to the railway hikes and Diesel price hike etc...

This is what has happened in the past and what will happen. There will be no change.
I who has always believed in rules, ethics, non violence have decided on one thing, I shall change myself to help others and shall not tolerate any kind of nonsense with women. Enough is enough.
Old 10th January 2013, 12:07   #468
Senior - BHPian

re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide. The 4 others sentenced to DEATH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
The rapists here are most definetly guilty though, no doubt about that; I mean one of them already admitted to it.
3 Delhi Rape Suspects To Plead Not Guilty. So who can sentence them without trial?

More than judicial reform or higher punishment for rape, police reform is much needed. Police must be evaluated on how cases they bring to trial & how many they win.

Last edited by msdivy : 10th January 2013 at 12:08.
Old 10th January 2013, 12:44   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
More than judicial reform or higher punishment for rape, police reform is much needed. Police must be evaluated on how cases they bring to trial & how many they win.
Even that would not help, since they can always get someone to own up. Though this might not be possible in such heinious crimes, anything short of it, a proxy might work!!

We need to have reforms in all the 3 areas ie. the Police, Judiciary and the parliament/assembly for this to change for the better.
Old 10th January 2013, 12:47   #470
BANNED

All people proposing reforming stuff - what exactly does reform mean? For eg, what police reform would you do?
Old 10th January 2013, 13:01   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
All people proposing reforming stuff - what exactly does reform mean? For eg, what police reform would you do?
Please read. carbookie has already posted out the name of the case, and the link to J.Malimath committee report. There is a amendment to criminal laws which is being tabled the parliament.

ed: please check this link - it summarises a bit, and gives links to some of the reports. http://insightsonindia.com/2011/08/0...-story-so-far/

All this stuff is held up at the legislative front. You want change? How about petitioning your own local MP/MLA to bring this up in the respective legislatures.

Democratic society begins and ends with holding your representative responsible for what he/she is doing or not doing.

Last edited by manolin : 10th January 2013 at 13:07.
Old 10th January 2013, 13:04   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One does not cut the tree that gives one shelter and food.
You can all forget about the reforms.
The Police, Judiciary and Civil Services were gift of British to us.
But there was a difference between the Indian system and the system followed in Britain.

Indian system was designed in such a way that there was no accountability of Police, Judges and Civil Servants to common people. The reason of course was to make sure that the Loot happened smoothly.

It was after Independence that we goofed(or by the evil designs of Brown Babus) up by adopting these systems as they were.

Those who have faith in Indian Judiciary, may your slumber last long. And your dreams of "Shining India" be sweet.

And "The Hindu", there is a limit to stupidity.
For once I really hate you.
Old 10th January 2013, 13:40   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Please read. carbookie has already posted out the name of the case, and the link to J.Malimath committee report. There is a amendment to criminal laws which is being tabled the parliament.

ed: please check this link - it summarises a bit, and gives links to some of the reports. http://insightsonindia.com/2011/08/0...-story-so-far/

All this stuff is held up at the legislative front. You want change? How about petitioning your own local MP/MLA to bring this up in the respective legislatures.

Democratic society begins and ends with holding your representative responsible for what he/she is doing or not doing.
Thats a good idea, the protests should be against the local MP/MLAs to force them to enact the needed changes to laws. I have never seen such protests.
Old 10th January 2013, 14:03   #474
BHPian

Did you see this ?

To me this is a smart lawyer trying to gather maximum media attention to get more cases from such criminals later. He is soon going to be India's premier "rape" lawyer.

The lawyer representing three of the men charged with the gang rape and murder of a medical student aboard a moving bus in New Delhi has blamed the victims for the assault, saying he has never heard of a "respected lady" being raped in India.

Sharma said the male companion of the murdered 23-year-old was "wholly responsible" for the incident as the unmarried couple should not have been on the streets at night.
[COLOR=#000000]
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/victims-...#ixzz2HYl4ZxQN
[/COLOR]
Old 10th January 2013, 14:48   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Did you see this ?

To me this is a smart lawyer trying to gather maximum media attention to get more cases from such criminals later. He is soon going to be India's premier "rape" lawyer.

The lawyer representing three of the men charged with the gang rape and murder of a medical student aboard a moving bus in New Delhi has blamed the victims for the assault, saying he has never heard of a "respected lady" being raped in India.

Sharma said the male companion of the murdered 23-year-old was "wholly responsible" for the incident as the unmarried couple should not have been on the streets at night.
[COLOR=#000000]
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/victims-...#ixzz2HYl4ZxQN
[/COLOR]
any lawyer with half a brain that is prosecuting the case would be able to make easy work of that. Seriously, i am not even a lawyer and i could do it. What kind of idiot does he think he is? "Respected Lady", "should have not been on the streets at night", what is this, some third world dictatorship???
Old 10th January 2013, 14:54   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
any lawyer with half a brain that is prosecuting the case would be able to make easy work of that. Seriously, i am not even a lawyer and i could do it. What kind of idiot does he think he is? "Respected Lady", "should have not been on the streets at night", what is this, some third world dictatorship???
Exactly my thoughts.

In the name of giving "legal support to all " we are letting some idiot to drag her name again in the public domain and DISRESPECT her.
Old 10th January 2013, 14:55   #477
BHPian

Quote:
We might have to end up kicking out a lot of police officers solely due to corrupt activities. Do police departments in India even have an Internal Affairs department? If not, they should get one real fast. If salaries for police officers was improved, then there would be less incentive for taking bribes and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post

Petitioning wont help. How can we do that? Where is the contact info for a representative, and moreover, would they even care? Nope, because elections are pretty much bought and paid for. When they say stuff like this; http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/17965859.cms , then all hope is lost. We are electing people who think like this...
Old 10th January 2013, 14:58   #478
Senior - BHPian

^^This is exactly why many called for instant justice. The poor girl will be called names and basically the entire incident will be replayed in court. Is it not enough that all sorts of people with access to media including godmen are giving unsolicited advice? Now the lawyers will start accusations and counter accusations. It is not a crime to be out at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Whatever said and done, I'd suggest students/young people to control what they can:
1. If you're sent to study, please focus on studies rather than hanging out with boyfriend(s) and/or girlfriend(s). There is plenty of time for dating later in life once you're settled.
Now come on, is that really why assaults happen?! It has happened to single/ married people returning from work for gods sake. What is your suggestion to them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
And "The Hindu", there is a limit to stupidity. For once I really hate you.
I didnt understand why you hate the Hindu. Not disputing it, but just wondering what they said!

Last edited by selfdrive : 10th January 2013 at 15:00.
Old 10th January 2013, 15:12   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Exactly my thoughts.

In the name of giving "legal support to all " we are letting some idiot to drag her name again in the public domain and DISRESPECT her.
I call this as one of the many lacunae of the judicial systems. Lawyers carry on defaming people, all in the name of profession!
Old 10th January 2013, 15:37   #480
BHPian

Having read through a large number of posts,here and in various forums Im surprised to read some views .

My views :

The reason for rapes are attributed to the following among many others..

1) A girl and boy walking on the street,
2) A girl wearing "provocative" dress
3) A girl going "where she should not be going",
4) A girl is drinking/smoking
5) A girl is at a party with boys/friends and is enjoying

None of the above is a license or invitation for someone to rape her.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks