Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2013, 20:46   #76
BHPian

Re: Sachin Tendulkar retires from ODI cricket

Well I for one watched Indian Cricket match only because of him.

I agree that today as a Team India has a decent cricket side and we may not need him as much as we used too.

But for me Cricket would only be about Sachin only. I feel honoured to have lived in an era where I could see him bat. I wouldnt say he is the best batsman or not (To me he is), but then to me he does not need to be. He is SACHIN. He has carried the hopes and expectation of this cricket loving nation for so many years and so gracefully.

Even as a sportman, the way he carried himself, his aura and simplicity would be missed.

We will miss you Sachin Tendulkar.
Old 2nd January 2013, 21:10   #77
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
I agree that today as a Team India has a decent cricket side and we may not need him as much as we used too.
Seriously?

Our test teams sucks. Sehwag and Gambhir have done as bad or worse than Tendulkar in the last 10,15,20 tests. The only reason why no one is writing about this is because everyone is busy writing articles about SRT.

We have wasted 9 years on Yuvraj in the test team. He has played around 40 tests and he averages around 34.

We have wasted around 20 tests on Raina - he is a bigger misfit than Yuvraj.

I think Kohli has established himself as a good replacement for Ganguly. Pujara has done OK in India but he still has to establish himself atleast in one series abroad to be considered good enough to replace Dravid.

So what we have is the openers are miserable. We have replaced Ganguly and may have replaced Dravid. But we still have to find replacements for Laxman and Tendulkar.
Old 9th January 2013, 01:37   #78
Senior - BHPian

What a great collection of straight drives from SRT.

I regret that when he was playing such wonderful straight drives i thought it is very normal and nothing special. But now, after he has retired, i can see what class batsman he was. One of the most gifted batsmen of era.

Old 9th January 2013, 20:12   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
What a great collection of straight drives from SRT.
Glorious... Looking at some of them I wondered whether the umpires should be wearing the protective gears as well!

Heard the commentator saying this ? - Ganguly wears helmet not to protect himself from ballers but from from his partner's straight drives! Indeed, these two have spent great times out there, built some great partnerships, probably the best opening pair of all times ...

PS:
Pardon me if I am missing some basic forum rules. But I did not find Thanks button for any posts in this thread. So, chevelle thanks for this post!

Last edited by mayuresh : 9th January 2013 at 20:19.
Old 9th January 2013, 23:42   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
Glorious... Looking at some of them I wondered whether the umpires should be wearing the protective gears as well!

Heard the commentator saying this ? - Ganguly wears helmet not to protect himself from ballers but from from his partner's straight drives! Indeed, these two have spent great times out there, built some great partnerships, probably the best opening pair of all times ...

PS:
Pardon me if I am missing some basic forum rules. But I did not find Thanks button for any posts in this thread. So, chevelle thanks for this post!
Thanks. I agree. One of the very good opening pairs.

Shifting Gears doesn't have a thanks button. But its my pleasure for the video link.
Old 11th January 2013, 14:37   #81
BHPian

Beautifully made Video.

I really wonder if we, collectively would love/adore/respect any Indian, as much as we have felt for SRT. I am not enjoying the India - England ODI today, feels hollow and incomplete to watch cricket without SRT.

Sachin, thank you for all that you have given us over the years.
Old 1st September 2013, 18:47   #82
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

The end is near!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/co...ry/667541.html

Would anyday prefer an away series in South Africa than a drab series on lifeless pitches at home against the Windies
Old 1st September 2013, 21:30   #83
Team-BHP Support

re: Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement after playing his 200th Test Match

Taking the easier way out ?

High Risk, High Respect South Africa tour V/S Lower risk, Easier Team, Mumbai Crowd, BCCI earning millions.

Its an easy choice I guess !
Old 1st September 2013, 22:37   #84
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Taking the easier way out ?

High Risk, High Respect South Africa tour V/S Lower risk, Easier Team, Mumbai Crowd, BCCI earning millions.

Its an easy choice I guess !
Seriously?

In South Africa
- Tendulkar - 15 matches, 5 100s and average of 46.44
- Dravid - 11 matches, 1 100, average 37.63
- Laxman - 10 matches, 0 100s, average 40.42
- Ganguly - 8 matches, 0 100s, average 36.14
- Sehwag - 8 matches, 1 100, average 25.46
Old 1st September 2013, 22:56   #85
Team-BHP Support

The more relevant comparison would have been his record in SA v/s in India.

PS: I am not debating his ability, greatness etc but if the news of his retiring is true and this series is being planned keeping the 200 in mind, it definitely is the easier option.
Old 1st September 2013, 23:31   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The more relevant comparison would have been his record in SA v/s in India.

PS: I am not debating his ability, greatness etc but if the news of his retiring is true and this series is being planned keeping the 200 in mind, it definitely is the easier option.
I don't think it's his decision. It's BCCI whose gonna decide. With SA tour jeopardy they had to do something to earn revenue.
Old 1st September 2013, 23:49   #87
Team-BHP Support

Plus, I think that Sachins retirement will be one BIG event that the BCCI would like to cash in on. They could not do so in the ODIs, am sure they will not let the same happen when he retires from tests. Unless of course, God forbid, an injury results in retirement.
Old 2nd September 2013, 00:18   #88
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They could not do so in the ODIs, am sure they will not let the same happen when he retires from tests.
There is the Champions League before that remember! Initially if i remember correctly, Sachin had announced during his interview after winning the IPL that this would be his last IPL or T20. He wasn't too keen to play Champions League at that time.
But I do not know what transpired after that but he is very much playing in the Champions League this month. Whether it was pressure from BCCI or the Ambani's i do not know.
But yeah this 200th Test is huge & the match might be played in front of his home ground.
Old 2nd September 2013, 00:37   #89
BHPian

First of all I am glad that the tests aren't being played against Sri Lanka. Sick of India-SL matches. Secondly his 200th test against Steyn, Philander, Morkel etc would have been more exciting than watching him play against Darren Sammy and company. Secondly, if Indian team wins convincingly against Windies and then fail in South Africa every fan would then say this series was not needed and India should have learnt their lessons and instead played some practice matches in SA instead.
Old 2nd September 2013, 01:51   #90
Senior - BHPian

Somehow I am getting this feeling bcci may postpone the SA tour cos there won't be enough time for India to go and play a few warm up matches. Anyways for Sachin it will be great if he goes in front of home crowd. He deserves a grand farewell.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks