Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2013, 16:58   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement after playing his 200th Test Match

Damn. Just read the news. Heart bleeds but it was indeed time. November is gonna be very emotional time. :(
Old 10th October 2013, 17:08   #107
BHPian

The King retiring to its den. This was expected as Cricket Control Board was putting pressure on him to retire. Now, I have started to lose interest in watching those future matches/series which would be played without the GOD

Cheers!!!!!
Old 10th October 2013, 17:13   #108
BHPian

Its finally come. Was dreading this. But time waits for none.
I started watching cricket in 1998, that too only because of Sachin. I didn't have any interest in it earlier. As he leaves, it seems I am retiring too from cricket.
Old 10th October 2013, 17:14   #109
Senior - BHPian

Though it was overdue (the retirement) I am sad. No more Sachin and cricket ! Damn.

So what next for him ?

The most likely thing is a Congress Lok Sabha ticket (Priya Dutt's) area.

What say ?
Old 10th October 2013, 17:18   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Though it was overdue (the retirement) I am sad. No more Sachin and cricket ! Damn.

So what next for him ?

The most likely thing is a Congress Lok Sabha ticket (Priya Dutt's) area.

What say ?
The only reason we suffer at the hands of politicians is because we trivialize politics like this. Let's leave politics to people who have the will to work foVr the people.
That said, it's indeed sad he is going to leave the game but then again he should have done it much earlier.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 10th October 2013 at 17:20.
Old 10th October 2013, 17:23   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Let's leave politics to people who have the will to work for the people.
Well all I can say is OK.
Old 10th October 2013, 17:25   #112
Mik
BHPian

As a boy and then as a young college guy I often wondered what it would be like when Sachin retired. Mass hysteria or a deep and dull pain in the heart.
Strangely, I am glad today. India comes first and his recent mediocre outings did little to help his case. He has been, for the last few years, very replaceable.
Hoping for a last hurrah! Would love to follow the last innings on TV rather than on cricinfo.
Old 10th October 2013, 17:32   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

For all Sachin fans. An old article from Cricinfo - http://www.espncricinfo.com/sachin/c...ry/434507.html

and my favorite In Tendulkar country

Quote:
The guy walking across the parking lot is famous. That's easy to tell from the reactions. Crowds part for him. Security guards mirror his every step. Other cricketers who made this same trip to the locker room tiptoed around the puddles.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 10th October 2013 at 17:34.
Old 10th October 2013, 21:55   #114
Senior - BHPian

Oh GOD!!

Ganguly, Dravid and finally God of Cricket!!
Old 10th October 2013, 22:33   #115
BHPian

Never really followed cricket in the past decade, but Sachin was responsible for my favourite childhood moments in the 90s. So many to remember, but here are a few memorable ones that come to mind:

1. The Sharjah Centuries against Australia.

God, it was a thrill to see him smack Shane Warne around the park for 6s, esp since Shane Warne was regarded as probably the most dangerous bowler in the world at that time, and Sachin just massacred him.

2. The final over in the HERO Cup against South Africa

South Africa only required 5 runs in the last over, had seven wickets in hand. It seemed all over at Eden Gardens. And Azhar decides to give the ball to Sachin instead of one of the regular bowlers. A really memorable, tense and ultimately, rewarding moment.

3. Massacring the Pakistan bowling at the 2003 World Cup

We did not want anything more than for India to annihilate Pakistan at the cup, and Sachin did not disappoint again. His sixes over Third Man against Shoaib Akhtar still makes me smile.

Last edited by avi550m : 10th October 2013 at 22:54.
Old 10th October 2013, 23:04   #116
BHPian

I have a very basic question and it's been in my mind for a very long time. Aren't cricketers professionals? They are. Do they get paid ? Yes.

So they are not doing it for the nation or you and me or for the team. They are doing it because they are getting paid. And they better play well because if they don't, the billing stops.

So what I don't get is why do some extreme people treat these cricketers like gods etc. Aren't they just as professionals as anybody. And at the end of day, it's just a sport. Sachin is a good player and that's it. It ends there for me.

And I don't believe that the 16 team players in the national cricket team are the best cricketers of the country. Every city will have scores of players who play better than the members of National team. It's just that those 16 were there at the right place at the right time. Probably with right connections and enough resources and that's why they are in the team.

PS : I have nothing against anyone and don't intend to hurt anyone's emotions. it's my understanding and thought I could share with my friends in the group.
Old 10th October 2013, 23:38   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishbull_6157 View Post
I have a very basic question and it's been in my mind for a very long time. Aren't cricketers professionals? They are. Do they get paid ? Yes.

So they are not doing it for the nation or you and me or for the team. They are doing it because they are getting paid. And they better play well because if they don't, the billing stops.

So what I don't get is why do some extreme people treat these cricketers like gods etc. Aren't they just as professionals as anybody. And at the end of day, it's just a sport. Sachin is a good player and that's it. It ends there for me.

+100 to the above. I fail to understand how these cricketers are showered with cash prizes and land allotments from state governments just for doing their job!!

Another dark side of this cricket frenzy is that other sports suffer for lack of sponsorships and infrastructure as all the money gets pumped into this one sport.

And I have absolutely no doubts in my mind that BCCI is running a lucrative business in the name of patriotism.
Old 10th October 2013, 23:57   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In a company, if someone does a very good job, he/she might also be seen as a "hero" by other team-mates.

People are willing to pay hard-earned money to watch these sportspersons do their "jobs". Is it so surprising that people who do a "good job" witnessed by millions earn the love and respect of the people watching?
Old 11th October 2013, 00:52   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And I don't believe that the 16 team players in the national cricket team are the best cricketers of the country. Every city will have scores of players who play better than the members of National team. It's just that those 16 were there at the right place at the right time. Probably with right connections and enough resources and that's why they are in the team.
Okay, so which field has the best people representing it ? We can discuss any sporting, culture, politics, scientific event and argue that there are better resources available somewhere else.

Quote:
So what I don't get is why do some extreme people treat these cricketers like gods etc. Aren't they just as professionals as anybody. And at the end of day, it's just a sport. Sachin is a good player and that's it.
Its quite simple actually. For someone who is a sports fan, sportsmen are heroes who are looked upto. Likewise for any other field. That's one set of heroes.

Of course there is the other set of heroes - like E Sreedharan, Dr Devi Shetty that are heroes for most Indians and are respected for the good work they've done for the country.

If one does not have a passion, he will not have a hero from the first set. If one is not aware enough, he wont have anyone from the second set.
Old 11th October 2013, 01:01   #120
Senior - BHPian

Ok, before this thread goes south:

1. This thread is about Sachin's retirement. Not about the general state of sports in the country or anywhere else.
2. Since he has announced his retirement, let his ardent fans bid him farewell by paying tributes to him in any form that they want. The rest, please respect their feelings and if you can't join them in their dedications, then please dont sully their mood with arguments that are not really required here. This is not really the time to debate on whether he was the greatest cricketer ever or not.

Just my two cents...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks