Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2013, 16:34   #46
BANNED

Re: Lady Bank manager robbed & attacked inside Bangalore ATM; left paralysed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Why can't the banks have ATMs that are completely open? I have seen in UK that there are many ATMs that have only the monitor and keys coming out of a solid wall.
In the UK some ATMs in specific areas are known to be mugging prone. Most locals know these, so avoid transactions in odd hours.
Old 28th November 2013, 16:33   #47
BHPian

In Greater Noida, they ran away with the complete machine itself..

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-...e1-498656.aspx
Old 28th November 2013, 17:47   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post

I have moved back home to the US now, but if i lived in India permanently, i would arm myself, at all times, both at home and on my person. I dont or wouldnt care that guns are illegal, India is becoming more dangerous by the day, you have to protect yourself.
Do you know how expensive it is to procure a fire-arm? It costs around a lakh of rupees for a pistol legally, with license. Not affordable to most of us, unless one is an NRI. Illegal weapons may be cheaper, but having an illegal weapon is risky and could have you behind bars.

This apart, during every election or other such event, one would have to deposit the weapon in the police station.

Things are far different in the US though.
Old 28th November 2013, 21:29   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Another very important aspect is tp either do away with the rolling shutters or to ensure that this is kept in locked at the top so that no attacker can easily pull it down to have his own domain, as happened in this case.
Now one more aspect is that the door is open and anybody can enter when one person is already in the ATM room. Much earlier, when I started using the ATM , probably way back in 2002/2003, you have to insert the ATM Card to open the door itself!The moment you get inside, the door closes and gets locked. After completing your business, you to press a switch from inside to unlock the door. Now due to so many practical problems, panicked people caught inside ATM, not knowing how to come out or not knowing the use of the exit push switch, this arrangement has been given the go-by.

Had this arrangement was retained, the robber could not have entered the ATM at all!

This was based on my experience of using State bank of Travancore/ SBI ATM's in that long ago period! (Those days, to get this ATM Card for SB Account, I had to have an FD for 50,000Rs in the same branch)
Old 29th November 2013, 08:24   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post

Had this arrangement was retained, the robber could not have entered the ATM at all!
The guy went to that location with an intent kill/loot her. This arrangement would have made little difference to the end result. He would perhaps have followed her immediately instead of waiting for a little while.

My could-have-been-better-if-they-dint moment is the fact the CCTV footage got released to the media. It has definitely given ideas to other degenerates in the society on how to rob and kill people.
Old 29th November 2013, 09:55   #51
BHPian

Lots of ATMs in Bangalore are still closed. The TOI was raising a lot of hue and cry and presenting the Banks' part of the story yesterday.

It may be troublesome for some of us for few days but it would be good for all of us in the long term.

I for one, take out cash always at the office or an ATM which is frequented. This incident however puts the fear in me, specially for my better half.

I for one think some of the points mentioned in the thread are very useful like:

1. Creating a panic button at the ATM
2. The CCTV feed being continuously monitored
3. Only one person 'can' get into the ATM - Remember this used to happen at SBI where you had to swipe your card to gain entry and would then get locked, don't know if this is still the case
Old 29th November 2013, 10:22   #52
Senior - BHPian

Ok, I shall now restrict my ATM usage, taking from my office ATM and replenishing my purse adequately.
But entering a security PIN and blocking your account and raising an Alarm is fatal IMHO. From the eye of the attacker - No money now, this person has raised an Alarm, so chances of getting caught is very high!

So more often than not, the attacker might inflict harm to you before fleeing away! Not at all advisable !
Old 29th November 2013, 10:23   #53
BANNED

Unfortunately l'affaire Tejpal has totally pushed the limelight off this case!
Old 29th November 2013, 10:39   #54
Senior - BHPian

There is one more incident reported at the same ATM a day before involving another woman, the accused escaped that day as she was with her husband. It looks like the accused is from Hindupur and would have stayed in a near by lodge around City market area as all private buses to Hindupur originate from Kalasipalya and he would have been using them, for sure he is a professional thief and the lodges around this place may give a clue.
Old 29th November 2013, 11:12   #55
Senior - BHPian

I am sure the perpetrator even after getting caught will be let off with a minor punishment (perhaps after the court decides its judgement after 5-10 years).

Next to a pathetic police (I never see them making rounds - especially the walking police beat patrol), we have a pathetic judiciary (slow and corrupt) - and such incidents are only going to increase ...
Old 30th November 2013, 23:05   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Did anyone here not hear about this?

http://www.financialexpress.com/news...2?rheditorpick

Shocking to say the least. CNN-IBN reports that out of the 2500 ATMs in Bangalore, only 1900 have a security guard. How can a bank be so negligent?

What are the steps we can take to avoid this? I have started to follow these:
  1. I now do not carry my credit cards in my wallet on working days. All the shopping I do is on weekends anyway, so I don't need them at office on weekdays.
  2. I only carry my debit card in my wallet once or twice in a month because I make sure that I withdraw cash only about twice a month. I use my credit cards wherever they are accepted, so that I don't have to carry much cash.
  3. I have an ATM right inside my office cafeteria, and I make sure I withdraw only from there every month, hence eliminating the risk of any random scumbag watching my movements.
  4. I don't carry more than 1000 INR cash with me on weekdays, along with some Sodexo coupons.
Living in India is becoming scary day by day. Emigrating to a different country is the most practical thing to do in circumstances like these I think.

EDIT: Mods, can you please move this thread to "Street Experiences"? Thanks.
It is scary!. I have been in the UK for the last 13 years. My car has got broken into once. My house burgled once and an attempted burglary another time and I have heard about muggings all over.
NO country is immune, happens everywhere. It pays to take care and watch ones behind.
Old 1st December 2013, 07:55   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

After the recent incident, I thought the banks would have taken more care of the conditions at their ATM's. But the Kotak Mahindra Bank ATM on JP Nagar ring road has one-half of the glass covered in that advertising sticker sheet. So we cant see (form outside) if anyone is hiding inside. Thankfully, the door is still clean of any stickers.

come to think of it, even the ICICI bank in Jayanagar 9th block..
Old 1st December 2013, 11:10   #58
Senior - BHPian

Nice to learn from the media that the lady Bank manager is recovering. Saw her speaking but seated in a wheel chair. Here is wishing her a speed recovery.
It is a pity that the scoundrel is still at large.
Old 5th December 2013, 01:32   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Do you know how expensive it is to procure a fire-arm? It costs around a lakh of rupees for a pistol legally, with license. Not affordable to most of us, unless one is an NRI. Illegal weapons may be cheaper, but having an illegal weapon is risky and could have you behind bars.

This apart, during every election or other such event, one would have to deposit the weapon in the police station.

Things are far different in the US though.
true, but if i lived in India, and if i had the money, i would have firearms. Legally of course. These incidents wont stop, in fact it will get only worse.
Old 5th December 2013, 10:26   #60
Senior - BHPian

This ATM case is just one robbery incident - too much noise is made on this incident. One incident doesn't warrant a drastic measures. There is nothing bad in current security of ATMs in India. But if Govt wants to increase security, they are welcome. Obviously the cost will be passed to end customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
true, but if i lived in India, and if i had the money, i would have firearms. Legally of course. These incidents wont stop, in fact it will get only worse.
That is 10,000 miles away view. It is like saying when I am in US I will wear bullet-proof vests, since never know when there will be a shootout

Last edited by msdivy : 5th December 2013 at 10:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks