Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2013, 18:40   #1
Oxy
BHPian

Lady Bank manager robbed & attacked inside Bangalore ATM; left paralysed

Did anyone here not hear about this?

http://www.financialexpress.com/news...2?rheditorpick

Shocking to say the least. CNN-IBN reports that out of the 2500 ATMs in Bangalore, only 1900 have a security guard. How can a bank be so negligent?

What are the steps we can take to avoid this? I have started to follow these:
  1. I now do not carry my credit cards in my wallet on working days. All the shopping I do is on weekends anyway, so I don't need them at office on weekdays.
  2. I only carry my debit card in my wallet once or twice in a month because I make sure that I withdraw cash only about twice a month. I use my credit cards wherever they are accepted, so that I don't have to carry much cash.
  3. I have an ATM right inside my office cafeteria, and I make sure I withdraw only from there every month, hence eliminating the risk of any random scumbag watching my movements.
  4. I don't carry more than 1000 INR cash with me on weekdays, along with some Sodexo coupons.
Living in India is becoming scary day by day. Emigrating to a different country is the most practical thing to do in circumstances like these I think.

EDIT: Mods, can you please move this thread to "Street Experiences"? Thanks.

Last edited by Oxy : 22nd November 2013 at 18:48.
Old 22nd November 2013, 18:54   #2
BHPian

Re: Corporation Bank manager robbed and attacked inside ATM in Bangalore; left paraly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post

Living in India is becoming scary day by day. Emigrating to a different country is the most practical thing to do in circumstances like these I think.

EDIT: Mods, can you please move this thread to "Street Experiences"? Thanks.
Read the news yesterday but don't have the guts to see the video. Dont know what happened, but if i were in that place i will give away all the money and try to get out without any harm (that too not sure).

Let me tell you something, My friend got robbed not once but twice during his stay in UK, that too around 5 PM'ish evening. Second time he returned home with black eyes. No country is safe buddy.
Old 22nd November 2013, 18:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

I was searching for this topic on T BHP for the last two days but was surprised that it was not posted anywhere yet.

It is quite shocking that this incident took place in a very busy road, that too at 7:11 AM.

Bangalore is turning out to be unsafe and as long as pedestrians keep doing their business with what is it to them attitude nothing is going to change.

This poor lady was attacked and was found only 3 long hours later on such a busy road, that too after two school kids saw blood coming out of the closed ATM.

The CCTV footage is disturbing. Poor woman went to draw money for her kid's birthday and ended up like this.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 22nd November 2013 at 19:01.
Old 22nd November 2013, 19:02   #4
BHPian

Re: Corporation Bank manager robbed and attacked inside ATM in Bangalore; left paraly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post

http://www.financialexpress.com/news...2?rheditorpick

Shocking to say the least. CNN-IBN reports that out of the 2500 ATMs in Bangalore, only 1900 have a security guard. How can a bank be so negligent?

What are the steps we can take to avoid this? I have started to follow these:
  1. I now do not carry my credit cards in my wallet on working days. All the shopping I do is on weekends anyway, so I don't need them at office on weekdays.
  2. I only carry my debit card in my wallet once or twice in a month because I make sure that I withdraw cash only about twice a month. I use my credit cards wherever they are accepted, so that I don't have to carry much cash.
  3. I have an ATM right inside my office cafeteria, and I make sure I withdraw only from there every month, hence eliminating the risk of any random scumbag watching my movements.
  4. I don't carry more than 1000 INR cash with me on weekdays, along with some Sodexo coupons.
Saw this in FB yesterday. The lady had the guts to stand up to the guy. Hats off to her and hope she recovers soon from this horrible incident. Read in the papers that the government has announced a 1 lakh cash prize for any clues on the attacker.

I guess its a habit of our generation to not carry too much money in our wallets. I have seen my father and now my FIL, carry around 2-3k in their wallets at any given time. I, on the other hand, never had more than 1k. We have become so used debit and credit cards and the convenience they provide, carrying cash is becoming a thing of the past. Now with the introduction of Coin (https://onlycoin.com), the days of cards are also numbered.

Every country has its own merits and demerits. How many times have we heard about our own friends and relatives getting mugged in US and in European countries? I don't think emigrating to a different country is a practical and feasible solution for this case. It's like running away from a problem without attempting to solve it. There are many steps that one can take to avoid being in a situation like this,

1) As you mentioned, most of us would have ATMs in our offices. We can use that for our weekly/monthly withdrawal.
2) Ladies can carry pepper spray in their handbags.
3) While boarding an auto in the late hours, police encourage us to note down the driver info and convey it to friends or family.
4) Avoid using ATMs which don't have any security, etc.

Not trying to contradict you in anyway, just my 2 cents.
Old 22nd November 2013, 19:07   #5
BHPian

More importantly, carry a debit card where the account balance is not more then 20k. Even if you face such situation damage can be minimized.

But I always tell my family, if threatened give the money or gold, nothing is worth more than life. I wish the lady gave the money he wanted instead of trying to argue with a maniac with sickles and pistol. May be she would have walked away if she had given the money he wanted.
Old 22nd November 2013, 19:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Most of the times, these thugs are only interested in your money and will resort to harm only when challenged. Just cooperate with them and move on - no better alternative at that instant..

A massive man hunt has been launched and it seems he was spotted near Hindupur or so. The mobile (the lady's) was sold and recovered around that place.
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:06   #7
BHPian

How bad can someone get? This was chilling. It happened right in front of a main road. One would understand if this was a deserted place and late night - but 7am near NR Square. Shocked.
Lastly, nothing is worth your life, in such a situation just give him what he wants, no amount of money or gold matters.
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Chilling incident. I hope it won't take long for the police to catch this criminal, given that they have a pretty good idea what he looks like.

A friend in Bangalore told me today that his colleague was mugged by 3 guys yesterday night and was beaten and stabbed when he resisted. Luckily, the victim seems to be out of danger now
Old 22nd November 2013, 21:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Have heard about such incidents in the past, but never heard of such ruthless attack. It might be safer if we draw money when someone is with us.
Old 22nd November 2013, 21:58   #10
BHPian

Really disturbing video, hope that guy gets caught and punished for his deed.
Mostly such attackers have the sole purpose of running away with money, valuables without harming the person or creating a scene.
So it is quite rational to surrender all your belongings during such incidences and just pray to God and plead the attacker to leave you without harm.

-Bhargav
Old 23rd November 2013, 00:15   #11
BHPian

Many would be aware of this fact but still posting for others who aren't.
When stuck in a situation like this; if a robber forces you to enter your debit card in the atm machine and withdraw cash, enter your PIN backwards. The machine will take the card inside(block it), and a alert message will be sent to the police station.
I have reservations about the latter part, given the infrastructure in our country I doubt if a message will actually be sent to the police, nonetheless the machine swallows the card and that much you are safer.

-Bhargav
Old 23rd November 2013, 00:58   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
When stuck in a situation like this; if a robber forces you to enter your debit card in the atm machine and withdraw cash, enter your PIN backwards. The machine will take the card inside(block it), and a alert message will be sent to the police station.
I have reservations about the latter part, given the infrastructure in our country I doubt if a message will actually be sent to the police, nonetheless the machine swallows the card and that much you are safer.

-Bhargav
Hey, what if my pin is say 4224 or 5115 or 6336 or 8448 or 9009 or the combination could go on and on with last 2 digits mirroring the first 2 digits. I think entering the PIN backwards does not block the card or message or whatever.
Old 23rd November 2013, 01:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Saw the video, pretty sad incident, hope that the lady recovers soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post

-Bhargav
This is a myth & not true at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Hey, what if my pin is say 4224 or 5115 or 6336 or 8448 or 9009 or the combination could go on and on with last 2 digits mirroring the first 2 digits. I think entering the PIN backwards does not block the card or message or whatever.
Exactly, the above is an urban myth at best
Old 23rd November 2013, 01:12   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

Exactly, the above is an urban myth at best
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
I think entering the PIN backwards does not block the card or message or whatever.
Thanks a lot guys for disabusing me of the wrong info I had

-Bhargav
Old 23rd November 2013, 01:21   #15
BHPian

Here's a small trick that i follow:
1. Most of us have accounts in multiple banks / multiple accounts with the same bank.
2. Use 1 account as the primary one (where you keep major portion of your funds) and use the other account as secondary with around 3-4k cash in it and carry this accounts' debit card along.
3. In case of a situation being discussed, you can honestly show the robber how much cash you have in your account and let him have it. (at least he'll spare your life)
4. This way you don't lose too much cash, plus that can easily be claimed from the bank (they're legally liable to refund you)
5. Even if you're unable to get a refund (highly unlikely), losing 3-4k is better than being attacked by a maniac!

I know this tip might not sound very convenient (specially during emergency cash requirements), but there's always an alternative! My primary account is with the same bank so i can always transfer funds into my account instantly using netbanking or telephone banking!
Hope this helps!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks