Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2013, 10:52   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Lady Bank manager robbed & attacked inside Bangalore ATM; left paralysed

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
This ATM case is just one robbery incident - too much noise is made on this incident. One incident doesn't warrant a drastic measures. There is nothing bad in current security of ATMs in India. But if Govt wants to increase security, they are welcome. Obviously the cost will be passed to end customers.
This is indeed the problem. The issue will remain as a one-off incident until it happen to one of us, or someone we know closely. If let-off lightly, these one-off incidents will become a norm tomorrow, and as usual we will learn to live with it.

And I agree, carrying firearms is definitely not a solution. Free availability makes it easier for the miscreants as well.
Old 5th December 2013, 14:27   #62
Senior - BHPian

Entering very late into the discussion. Very unfortunate incident to say the least. But very happy to see the lady manager recovering as shown on TV.

Just thinking out loud, how will increasing or posting a security guard at the ATM boost security? As in this case, the guy had a pistol (?) (not very clear from the CCTV Footage) & a machete in his hand and he was lightning fast to pull the shutter down.

Most security guards at the ATM's that i have seen are either too old, or too fat to be of any use in such a situation. Of course this is not the case always but a majority. And mostly at night times or during early hours of the day, they are asleep either in the back room or right by the ATM door.
Old 6th December 2013, 20:50   #63
BHPian

In early days ATM Booths used to have doors that could be only opened by first swapping your card at the door reader. It was a good security control. May be because of the frequent repairs or to save costs banks have stopped installing such doors. I think it is time banks are enforced to provide such doors at least at the ATM centers where there are no guards.
Old 7th December 2013, 21:42   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
But if Govt wants to increase security, they are welcome. Obviously the cost will be passed to end customers.
While the reaction to ATM mugging was excessive, now comes the ridiculous news - Banks may raise ATM cost by Rs 6 per transaction, to pay for safety
Quote:
ATM usage is likely to get costlier as banks are planning to hike ATM charges by Rs 6 per transaction. The proposal to hike charges comes after a few state governments asked banks to tighten security at ATMs following the brutal assault of a customer inside an ATM in Bangalore in November.

Beefing up security guard presence is likely to add Rs 36,000 per month to the costs of maintaining an ATM and e-surveillance systems will cost an additional Rs 15,000 per kiosk. According to bankers this higher cost will be passed on to the consumers.

Banks are also looking to stop offering unlimited free ATM transactions and capping it at 5 per month, even for transactions at ATMS belonging to the customer's bank.
Hope RBI steps in and nips this in the bud.
Old 7th December 2013, 21:52   #65
BHPian

Since banks are planning to charge Rs.6 per ATM transaction , I have a question : Lets say, I am paying the bank for the security guard posted outside ATM booth (& other security arrangements). Despite that, I get mugged/injured by a robber inside ATM booth. Can I sue the bank for negligence in offering security to the customer (for which I & others are paying)? Because now a days, the standard response from the banks are 'Law and order is the sole responsibility of police and other state govt. agencies'.

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 7th December 2013 at 21:54.
Old 11th March 2014, 16:06   #66
Team-BHP Support

Bangalore ATM attack victim returns to work:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/30428857.cms
Old 11th March 2014, 16:20   #67
BHPian

Thank God, She's back.
I was worrying about it even sometime during last week.
Thanks for the news.
Old 11th March 2014, 17:10   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Bangalore ATM attack victim returns to work:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/30428857.cms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
Thank God, She's back.
I was worrying about it even sometime during last week.
Thanks for the news.
I thought its been a month already since she resumed work.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks