Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2006, 15:12   #556
BHPian

Another type of scale models:- R/C aircraft

These are R/C aircraft that i have , actually my company makes these so technically they are mine till we sell them .

They have a wingspan starting 4 feet onwards. Engine cc's also vary depending upon aircraft design, wingspan and other factors. Currently i have more than 15 different designs and will post pics in detail whenever i have time or when im doing nothing.
enjoy

Last edited by Beeman : 4th December 2006 at 15:18. Reason: adding info
Old 4th December 2006, 15:45   #557
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Rule of Material Science: or why flying R/C model aircraft are NOT scale models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman View Post
Another type of scale models:- R/C aircraft
A crawling baby is not a scale model of his father.

If you scale a baby's bones and muscles in three dimensions up to his father's dimensions, he will become an incredibly powerful giant (over 10 times as powerful as his father). Conversely, if you scale down a full-grown man's bones and muscles and internal organs in three dimensions to his infant's dimensions, the result will be an engineering disaster: a creature too weak to survive.

This is a crude example, but unlike cars, dimensionally scaling down a full-size aircraft will not produce a flyable model. Similarly dimensionally scaling up a flying model aircraft will not produce a full-sized flying specimen. It will be far too heavy for its power and aerodynamics.

The rules of Material Science (and Nature in the case of the baby) will go against you!

For this reason, flying radio/controlled (R/C) model aircraft are NOT scale models! They can never be!

Comments invited.

Ram
Old 4th December 2006, 15:58   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
A crawling baby is not a scale model of his father.

If you scale a baby's bones and muscles in three dimensions up to his father's dimensions, he will become an incredibly powerful giant (over 10 times as powerful as his father). Conversely, if you scale down a full-grown man's bones and muscles and internal organs in three dimensions to his infant's dimensions, the result will be an engineering disaster: a creature too weak to survive.

This is a crude example, but unlike cars, dimensionally scaling down a full-size aircraft will not produce a flyable model. Similarly dimensionally scaling up a flying model aircraft will not produce a full-sized flying specimen. It will be far too heavy for its power and aerodynamics.

The rules of Material Science (and Nature in the case of the baby) will go against you!

For this reason, flying radio/controlled (R/C) model aircraft are NOT scale models! They can never be!

Comments invited.

Ram
My bad!! i should have just written r/c models and not scale.......I think there was a much more polite way to put it than your way....mr. ram. However you are absolutely correct in some respect. Plus I never said actual scale models but kind of scale models.

Most r/c airplane models are called scale models all over the world. Yes certain parts have to modified and changed according to aerodynamics and other functions but i never said true to scale models. Some creators/manufacturers make the model look so realistic its unbelievable but unlike in cars they are not in categorys of 1:18,1:24 and so on so forth for obvious reasons. But we do have to agree they are scale models if not even 60% of the real thing. Just like scale models of fighter jets and even boeings do not actually have their engines in the wings cause in r/c models that is not possible.....so they have to be mounted in the nose. Basic principles with regards to the flaps, aerlons ,rudder etc for lift and movement are the same
You cannot flap your wings and start flying the basic principles for flight are the same.

In die cast cars we have a parts such as doors, opening hoods, trunks and wheels that turn when we move the steering wheel....principles are the same same is for r/c planes.........we do not actually scale down a car and make it 1:18...........simialrly we do not actually scale down planes.........but we make slightly similar looking scale models...

cheers!!

Last edited by Beeman : 4th December 2006 at 16:17.
Old 4th December 2006, 16:50   #559
BHPian

Beeman .. I dont think Ram meant it personally or to offend anyone. I think it was a view he felt might be fun discussing. But loved your bike and Plane collection. Please post pics of your 1:18s soon. Oh and those of you who began collecting with Bburagos... Theyve released their catalogue for 2007... most exciting of the scales being the Lamborghini Miura Concept. Some others of interest being a red Vanquish and some older models including a Jag 340 sedan(not sure if thats the model number).
Old 4th December 2006, 17:00   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEM3R View Post
Beeman .. I dont think Ram meant it personally or to offend anyone. I think it was a view he felt might be fun discussing. But loved your bike and Plane collection. Please post pics of your 1:18s soon. Oh and those of you who began collecting with Bburagos... Theyve released their catalogue for 2007... most exciting of the scales being the Lamborghini Miura Concept. Some others of interest being a red Vanquish and some older models including a Jag 340 sedan(not sure if thats the model number).
I know BEEM3R you are right.........i think it would better spent discussing scale models than what is and what is not. Thanks. I thought Bburagos closed down or something. Do they have a indian distribuitor?? Couldn't open their website the last time i checked!!
Old 4th December 2006, 17:43   #561
BHPian

Pics/Details of Scale Model Cars of Indian Cars?

Guys, can u post pics/details of scale models of cars sold in India (let's of real cars costing below Rs.20 lacs). Doesn't matter if you have a Left Hand Drive version of it. Please leave out Lambos, Mercs, Beemers, Audis and so on.
  • For example the Mitsubishi Pajero (older generation) whose scale models are easily accessible from foreign manufacturers.
  • A few days ago, I even found a scale model probably 1:32 of the Hyundai Sonata, but sadly it was sold off just a couple of days ago.
Although, there are many Indian toy makers really pathetic looking Indian plastic toy cars, Shinsei, for instance. Centy Toys, Speedage and Funtoyz make the best plastic indian cars.
  • I had scale models (1:35 scale, it was embossed on the cars underbody!!) of Mahindra Classic (2 of them), Mahindra Armada (old look), Maruti Esteem, HM Ambassador, Tata Sumo. They look much much better then what we see in the toys shops today with very very decent levels of detailing.
  • Unfortunately, apart from the HM Ambassador none of them are in good condition.
  • I had this Tata 407 LCV scale model, made by Funtoyz. The attention to detail (apart from taillamps) was miles ahead compared to other Indian toy cars. This truck's loading bay (which was openable!) got broken. I constructed loading bays of Paper (!!) but one day the truck got lost and I am still hunting in shops to get another such model (from some old stock as its production stopped many many years ago).
  • I have Fiat Uno, Tata Indica, Hyundai Santros made by Speedage but compared to Centy toys, i would give them 6/10.
Old 4th December 2006, 18:47   #562
Ram
Senior - BHPian

It was all in fun and not meant to offend anybody.

Only wanted to make a point:
Producing a working specimen involves too many compromises
multi-engine, jet or piston-engine, scale-accuracy of undercarriage design, ...

"Scale" is usually the first parameter compromised.
e.g. Imagine an R/C model Messerschmitt Me-262 Schwalbe twin-jet, powered by a castor-oil/paraffin single cylinder piston engine with a two bladed pusher propeller, on the rear of the fuselage.

Can we even begin to imagine the complex challenges of having a scale-model flying BAC/Sud-Aviation Concorde?

--------------------------------------------------

Coming back to scale model cars, Bburago was bought over by Maisto in 2005.

I have a 1:16 1984 Ferrari Testarossa and 1961 Jaguar E-type roadster and coupe from Bburago. The quality is very poor. They could not do a chrome trim around the E-type's headlamps -- a simple feature. And the interior lacks detail.
For contrast, I have a racing green Maisto Jaguar Mark two. From the chrome window-sills to the photo-correct instrument panel and detailed tires, Maisto beat Bburago out of the market.

Maisto could produce and sell better quality than Bburago for a lower price.Bburago's Italian wages could not compete with Maisto's Thai wages, and the company went inevitably bankrupt.

Last edited by Ram : 4th December 2006 at 18:53.
Old 4th December 2006, 22:08   #563
BHPian

A Part of My Collection

My 1:24 Lambo Murcielago, Ferrari Enzo and Ford Mustang Cobra

My 1:18 Mercedes CLS Class

My 1:36 Mitsubshi Lancer Evo VII and VIII at Rs.85 each!!

Old 5th December 2006, 10:50   #564
BHPian

1/18 Palio models are available in China. Saw them on ebay. I have generally found Indian die-cast not to collectible standard, they are meant for kids to break. However, diecast (ie metal bodies) model can be collected as even with their flaws, they will become of some value 20 years down the line.
Old 5th December 2006, 12:09   #565
BHPian

you can find a red/ yellow fiat palio on this website.....
Modelcarworld
Old 5th December 2006, 13:01   #566
BHPian

1:18 models of Indian Cars!!

Here's what I found at Model Car World. Thanks Beeman for the link.

Toyota Corolla 1:18

Fiat Palio and Weekend 1:18

Hyundai Tucson 1:18

New Honda City 1:43

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 5th December 2006 at 13:18.
Old 5th December 2006, 13:15   #567
BHPian

[quote/]
Coming back to scale model cars, Bburago was bought over by Maisto in 2005.

I have a 1:16 1984 Ferrari Testarossa and 1961 Jaguar E-type roadster and coupe from Bburago. The quality is very poor. They could not do a chrome trim around the E-type's headlamps -- a simple feature. And the interior lacks detail.
For contrast, I have a racing green Maisto Jaguar Mark two. From the chrome window-sills to the photo-correct instrument panel and detailed tires, Maisto beat Bburago out of the market.

Maisto could produce and sell better quality than Bburago for a lower price.Bburago's Italian wages could not compete with Maisto's Thai wages, and the company went inevitably bankrupt.[/quote]

Most model collectors here began their collections with Bburagos. They were some of the 1st 1:18 and 1:24 scale models available in India. I know most of the serious collectors here are aware of the buyout and some of them have been upset that Bburago ceased to exist. Well theyre making a comeback and it has to be seen whether Maisto projects Bburago higher than Maisto or not.Just like Hot Wheels has an Elite collection Maisto could sell BBurago as a premium detailed product. Even if they dont for young budding collectors theyre a great way to start I still remember bringing home my 550 Maranello and 456 GT and was awestruck by the wheels and detail!!!
Old 5th December 2006, 13:28   #568
Senior - BHPian

I agree BEEMER

My first was also a 1:18 Ferrari F40 by Bburago and the detailing seemed awesome for that time. Even though today Bburago doesnt seem great in detailing like the competition, I still see some collectors paying a good price to get hold of some 1:18 Buuragos esp Ferraris which are no longer available, me being one of them

I paid 1400 rupees to buy a 1:18 Bburago 348 from a collector

I feel Bburagos will be or already are collectors items
Old 5th December 2006, 13:46   #569
BHPian

More pics of scale models of Indian cars!!

1:18 Honda CRV

1:43 Fiat 1100 / Premier Padmini

1:43 Suzuki Swift

1:43 Fiat Uno

1:43 Opel Vectra
Old 5th December 2006, 13:54   #570
BHPian

Still more pics!!

1:43 Honda Accord

1:43 Morris Oxford (HM Ambassador)

Narain Karthikeyan's F1 Jordan 1:18

What do you all think about my findings? Pleeeease reply......

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks