Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2021, 10:10   #976
BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Nice. That looks good. How much is it? The one's i have in my garden are all cement ones. Otherwise you could go for a overhead filter or an external cannister filter, but would be overkill for your setup.
Here is an update:

I have 4 guppies and 3 danio fish in the pond. Looks like there is enough space for the fish.My Fishkeeping hobby-20210324_163614.jpg

I also added a canister filter. The pond/fish seems to be fine for now. However, I have a small problem with the filter. Whenever there is a power outage, the filter does not start pumping water after the power supply is restored. I have to open the filter, add some water, and switch it on again. Is that normal? If not, is there any way to fix it?
KL01toKA03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 10:16   #977
Senior - BHPian

That looks good! Some aquascaping with rocks/wood/plants and that will look awesome

Oh and get some leafy plants around the pond as well.

Regarding the filter, external filters are supposed to be below the tank. In your case, both are at the same ground level. I assume that could be the reason.

You could try keeping the pond on a platform or get a gravity filter with a submersible sump and keep that on a raised platform

Or you could try plant based filtration with pothos plants.
Old 25th March 2021, 11:15   #978
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
Here is an update:

I have 4 guppies and 3 danio fish in the pond. Looks like there is enough space for the fish.Attachment 2136749

I also added a canister filter. The pond/fish seems to be fine for now. However, I have a small problem with the filter. Whenever there is a power outage, the filter does not start pumping water after the power supply is restored. I have to open the filter, add some water, and switch it on again. Is that normal? If not, is there any way to fix it?
Congratulations. Looks good. Can you share the inner dimensions of the pond.
Old 25th March 2021, 11:18   #979
BHPian

Quote:
Here is an update:
Looks Good. A general question: How would exposure to direct sunlight affect the fishes?. I suppose that its only a matter of time before green algae start growing on the walls.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 11:25   #980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Looks Good. A general question: How would exposure to direct sunlight affect the fishes?. I suppose that its only a matter of time before green algae start growing on the walls.
Green algae on the walls is acceptable. Gives fry space to hide and fishes nibble on it as well. It is the free algae that is far more irritating as it clumps up and covers prime water space. But that can be scooped out (watch for fishes trapped inside before discarding it)

But some good floating plants that cover up the surface (lilly, water lettuce, ludwigia etc) will also help in minimizing that and if really concerned one could set up a UV filter as well

edit: you can check out pics of my garden ponds a few posts back. All except for the smallest one get direct sunlight. Two get the morning to noon effect and another two catch the afternoon and evening rays. I have had algae clumps in just one and now it's covered with water lettuce and giving it some plant cover with bamboos and others around the pond.

Last edited by deathwalkr : 25th March 2021 at 11:34.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 11:34   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Not a problem as of now, but I will update if the algae builds up. Thinking about it, I wouldn't mind if the water turns green. Would make it look more natural.

Quote:
Oh and get some leafy plants around the pond as well.

Regarding the filter, external filters are supposed to be below the tank.

You could try keeping the pond on a platform or get a gravity filter with a submersible sump and keep that on a raised platform

Or you could try plant based filtration with pothos plants.
Thank you for solving the mystery. A platform is ruled out. For now, I'll stick to the existing setup with constant checks.

Adding plants and background beautification is on the cards. I guess my laziness is the reason for the delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Congratulations. Looks good. Can you share the inner dimensions of the pond.
Approximately 3 feet x 2.5 feet x 1 feet
KL01toKA03 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 11:38   #982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for solving the mystery. A platform is ruled out. For now, I'll stick to the existing setup with constant checks.
Oh and please keep that extension box above ground level, or hang it on the wall. Also remember that these canisters are generally not water proof (if memory serves me right), so if you get rainfall in your balcony...
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 11:44   #983
BHPian

Quote:
Oh and please keep that extension box above ground level, or hang it on the wall. Also remember that these canisters are generally not water proof (if memory serves me right), so if you get rainfall in your balcony...
That was only a temporary connection till I got a short extension cord. I wouldn't keep it that way with 2 curious kids in the house.
Old 25th March 2021, 11:49   #984
Senior - BHPian

Couple of years back, my 2yr old son wanted to take a swim in the tiny balcony pond at our flat next day i cleared off the pond.

Then he started pulling chairs to the 4ft fish tank inside the flat and started putting in random things. Grew a bit taller he started using it as a touch pool, grew a bit taller, pushed the lights inside, before he grew i sold off the tank to a friend!

I still look at pics of that tank and sigh

I am still scared to keep a fish tank inside the house now. My wife's oneplus was a fatality when we found it in the fish tank, drowned!

He's all of four now, so maybe in a couple of years i might attempt to set up a tank inside the house again.

So yeah, i understand
Old 26th March 2021, 11:38   #985
BHPian

Quote:

What do you think about connecting a submersible pump to the inlet of the existing filter? Will that eliminate the need for priming after power disruption?
Old 26th March 2021, 13:57   #986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What do you think about connecting a submersible pump to the inlet of the existing filter? Will that eliminate the need for priming after power disruption?
I am not sure Try it. Just get a good one which will have pumping capacity based on the height. From ground to inlet level. And keep the canister above pond level
Old 5th April 2021, 11:11   #987
BHPian

Quote:
Just get a good one which will have pumping capacity based on the height. From ground to inlet level. And keep the canister above pond level

I tried it, and it works quite well.

I have a question regarding water changes. The routine I follow is to use water from the pond to feed the plants in my small garden, and replace it with fresh water. So, I remove 5-6 mugs of water and add slightly more than that. I have not experienced any fish death till now (almost a month), and the plants seem to be growing better than earlier (I guess it is some weird form of aquaponics) Am I doing something wrong, or is this okay? FYI, the filter is working for 12-14 hours every day.

As expected, there is some algae in the water (I guess due to sunlight). The water is no longer clear, but it is not difficult to spot the fish. While this is not a dealbreaker, I would like to know if there is there any way to make the water clear without affecting the fish.
Old 5th April 2021, 12:25   #988
BHPian

Typically in the aquariums, the filters need to be running 24x7x365. I am guessing its the same for small ponds as well.
I dont know how much percentage 5-6 mugs is. But you can safely change 20% of the water on a periodic basis ( 5-7 days ).

Most new tanks see a small algae boom in the initial period. But it should go away in a well balanced tank.

Visit the forum http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/ for some expert advice.
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 12:34   #989
Senior - BHPian

Hey, that's good that it works that way

And yes, that is the best way to do a water change. Remove 50% old water, replace it with new water. Weekly.

Yes, aquarium water is a good liquid fertilizer.

Keep the filter working non stop otherwise the good bacteria inside would die for lack of oxygen.

You could link a UV filter into your filter system which would kill off free floating algae. Get some shady plants around, floating plants. But all said and done, some algae is still to be expected

But your weekly water changes and leaving the filter to run 24hrs will help control it to an extent. Algae love sunlight and stagnant water.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 12:45   #990
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, that's good that it works that way

And yes, that is the best way to do a water change. Remove 50% old water, replace it with new water. Weekly.

You could link a UV filter into your filter system which would kill off free floating algae. Get some shady plants around, floating plants. But all said and done, some algae is still to be expected

But your weekly water changes and leaving the filter to run 24hrs will help control it to an extent. Algae love sunlight and stagnant water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Typically in the aquariums, the filters need to be running 24x7x365. I am guessing its the same for small ponds as well.
I dont know how much percentage 5-6 mugs is.
Thank you for the suggestions. As a clarification, I change the water in the quantities mentioned earlier, every day (mostly because the plants need water).

There is no algae floating on the surface. However, there is algae on the walls, and the water has a slight greenish color. I will keep the filter running 24x7 and see if it improves the water appearance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks