Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2019, 10:45   #856
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Nice list

To office? How would you get any work done with a tank like that in front of you
This is my business. Started out as a hobby 23 years ago. Has been a business for 13. Used to have 33 tanks at home. Wanted to get out of a stressful family business and move town. Didn't know what to do with so many tanks, so set up a retail store.

Had to quit keeping tanks after I slipped and dislocated my shoulder and injured my back. So, closed the retail outlet and went online. Once you are bitten by the bug, it's hard to give up. So had a separate gallery away from my office. It became tougher to manage with traffic and day-to-day maintenance, so have now moved them to the office. The hot summer ensured I don't start work on setting them up again. Now, just waiting for the rains.

Unfortunately, my hard disk crashed and I'm unable to retrieve more pictures of my earlier setups. Will post as and when I can find them.

Last edited by discoverwild : 6th June 2019 at 10:59.
discoverwild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 10:48   #857
Senior - BHPian

wow ok! had similar plans 10yrs back but unfortunately i lacked the will to do it. good for you man

too bad about your shoulder and back. hope it's all well now.

do send me a pm with your website.
Old 22nd June 2019, 19:58   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
I am interested in boyu ea80 e (smaller version of ea80). Can you confirm if its inbuilt top filter works if water level is less (say half). As i am looking this for my turtle so i will not fill more than half. No one is able to give clear answer in shops. And how is the general durability and quality for boyu tanks?
Update from my side. I ended in buying two tanks. One 2.5 feet imported moulded tank for my turtle and one extra clear glass 4 ft custom made tank for plantation and fishes. I felt that imported tanks are good for small sizes but not great for bigger sizes because of less thick glass. I might be wrong though.
Old 22nd June 2019, 23:42   #859
BHPian

Re: Need Advise

Hi All,
I am quite surprised by the number of posts and the photos of the tanks. To be honest, I never expected teambhp to have this many pet friendly people.

I am very new to the fish thing, I just picked up a 2ft x 1.5ft x 1ft from Olx as I was quite not sure about where to get good ones etc, fabricated a heavy stand myself, as I was not happy with the readymade ones available in the shop, added 4 Mollies & 2 orange fishes (forgot the name) & 2 Zebra coloured fishes. The very next day one of the Zebra died and now I am left with 6 fishes in total, Added a water filter (a simple pump that has a blue sponge to filter water & also sucks and blows air via the mouth). Ever since I added this filter/pump, everything seems fine except that one by one the mollies are getting kind of obese + they are getting a black spot, I changed water in a weeks time (3/4th of the tank) & plan to repeat this again. I have a few doubts, all your inputs would be valuable.

1. Should this pump/ filter stay on 24hrs?
2. The room is pretty bright as we have large windows, do we still need to leave the light switched On at night?
3. Can we add Guppy/ tetra to this tank that already has Mollies, Zebra?
4. I am not adding to the water when I change it, one of the post suggests to add rock salt, is this okay even when you use borewell water, thats already salty.

Thanks

Anand

My Fishkeeping hobby-whatsapp-image-20190614-8.08.02-pm.jpeg

My Fishkeeping hobby-whatsapp-image-20190615-1.42.10-pm.jpeg

My Fishkeeping hobby-whatsapp-image-20190622-11.29.22-pm.jpeg

My Fishkeeping hobby-whatsapp-image-20190622-11.29.28-pm.jpeg
Old 23rd June 2019, 07:24   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
Hi All,
I am quite surprised by the number of posts and the photos of the tanks. To be honest, I never expected teambhp to have this many pet friendly people.

I am very new to the fish thing, I just picked up a 2ft x 1.5ft x 1ft from Olx as I was quite not sure about where to get good ones etc, fabricated a heavy stand myself, as I was not happy with the readymade ones available in the shop, added 4 Mollies & 2 orange fishes (forgot the name) & 2 Zebra coloured fishes. The very next day one of the Zebra died and now I am left with 6 fishes in total, Added a water filter (a simple pump that has a blue sponge to filter water & also sucks and blows air via the mouth). Ever since I added this filter/pump, everything seems fine except that one by one the mollies are getting kind of obese + they are getting a black spot, I changed water in a weeks time (3/4th of the tank) & plan to repeat this again. I have a few doubts, all your inputs would be valuable.

1. Should this pump/ filter stay on 24hrs?
2. The room is pretty bright as we have large windows, do we still need to leave the light switched On at night?
3. Can we add Guppy/ tetra to this tank that already has Mollies, Zebra?
4. I am not adding to the water when I change it, one of the post suggests to add rock salt, is this okay even when you use borewell water, thats already salty.

Thanks

Anand

Attachment 1887100

Attachment 1887101

Attachment 1887102

Attachment 1887103
Filter should be on 24/7. You can switch off lights in night as thats how it is in nature. Do not change water more than 40% per week. Learn nitrogen cycle from google. Your zebra fish might have died because of some stress in handling or because your tank was not cycled or may be it had some prior disease.
Old 1st July 2019, 19:28   #861
BHPian

So thrilled that Team-bhp has a fishkeeping thread as well. Its my hobby and below is a pic of my tank:
Low tech tank:
Dimensions: 2ft * 1ft * 1.5ft
Substrate: Amazon AquaSoil
Flora:Rotala, Sagiterria, e.tennalus, Anubias nana, etc
Fauna: 4 Threadfin Rainbowfish, 10 Red Platy (+ few fry), lots of red cherry shrimps and 1 lone harleyquin rasbora (had 8 originally)
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-mytank.jpg  

Old 8th July 2019, 18:21   #862
Senior - BHPian

Never knew that a fish keeping thread existed in this forum.

I have a natural aquarium with Tetras and Guppies. I used to have a healthy population of different type of shrimps and they were multiplying, but had a recent disaster. My tank was building lot of algae and even the plants started looking dirty. I decided to replace the entire set of plants with fresh ones and brought new supply online and replaced the entire old lot. Over next couple of weeks all my shrimps died, but none of the other fishes had an issue. I came across a post today that explains what would have happened, seems the aquatic plants have pesticides while grow by nurseries and they are generally harmless for normal fishes but can be deadly for shrimps.

I am feeling guilty and sad for what had happened, now planning to reintroduce the shrimps after a month or so, hoping the effect of pesticide subsides by then
Old 4th August 2019, 12:18   #863
BHPian

Red Cherry Shrimps population explosion in my tank.
jkaushik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 22:41   #864
BANNED

Here's a video my lovely little goldies. Sadly, they are no more. Felt so bad after their passing away that I stopped keeping fishes.

https://streamable.com/yihou

Last edited by wheelguy : 15th September 2019 at 22:44.
Old 15th September 2019, 23:29   #865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Here's a video my lovely little goldies. Sadly, they are no more. Felt so bad after their passing away that I stopped keeping fishes.

https://streamable.com/yihou
Beautiful fish no doubt. I guess overcrowding has been the cause of their deaths. Your tank seems to be between 60 to 80 CMS in length and probably 30 CMS in width. Those are too many goldfish for the tank size. Shop keepers usually have weak knowledge and will oversell. Try again with 4 or 5 small gold fish. Best of luck.

Like all posts fish too will die. I have lost count of the number of my fish who have died since my first tank in 1973.
Old 16th September 2019, 00:16   #866
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Beautiful fish no doubt. I guess overcrowding has been the cause of their deaths. Your tank seems to be between 60 to 80 CMS in length and probably 30 CMS in width. Those are too many goldfish for the tank size. Shop keepers usually have weak knowledge and will oversell. Try again with 4 or 5 small gold fish. Best of luck.

Like all posts fish too will die. I have lost count of the number of my fish who have died since my first tank in 1973.
Thanks, yes they are beautiful and I love them to the core :(

My tank is 3 feet long, 1 feet wide, and 1.5 feet high. Overcrowding cannot be the reason, I always kept my tank clean with fortnightly partial water changes and kept the tank well aerated. One of the redcap goldfishes laid eggs in a pot which I didn't notice until the water gave a foul smell, due to my lack of knowledge regarding fish breeding I immediately consulted an aquarium shopkeeper whose advice is of no avail as the eggs didn't hatch, the red-caps died and eventually all other fishes died one by one. By the time I noticed, it's already out of hands, no amount of care helped, and add to that my lack of fish breeding knowledge. Am still feeling bad about that and am still angry with myself for not being able to take the required care.

Afterwards, I planned for an angelfish aquarium but not getting enough courage to do that after the devastating experience.
Old 16th September 2019, 09:56   #867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

What he says is true. Goldfishes require large tanks to thrive in and also need a good bio filtration system as well as they can be crap machines.

This could be good place to start:
https://www.wikihow.com/Set-up-a-Fis...-(for-Goldfish)

And as Narayan said, for the LFS guy it is a business. It falls on us to learn about the fishes we want to buy and the requirements they need to properly thrive.

LFS sells common plecos as waste eaters! They sell small alligator gars and red tail catfishes and even arapaimas to poor unsuspecting buyers.

You have a good beginner tank. Don't let this initial setback discourage you. Read more about substrates, biological filtration, tank requirements for each type of fish etc. It is a rewarding hobby for sure.
Old 23rd September 2019, 16:59   #868
BHPian

An update: I am trying a low-tech planted tank and it started around 2 months back. I wanted it to be of low maintenance, without need of CO2 injection, high-lighting and soils.

Started with some plants as Java Ferns, Anubias and so far they are going good. Lighting is an LED which is on a timer for almost 3 hours daily. I also do weekly 40% water changes. Substrate is the regular white sand, with some driftwood and rocks which I already had.

This is my first ever planted setup, I wanted to experiment and also learn a thing or two about the planted setup through this.

A few pics of the setup:
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-img_20190817_094434__01.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-img_20190815_203842__02.jpg  

narayanang76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 18:14   #869
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
An update: I am trying a low-tech planted tank and it started around 2 months back. I wanted it to be of low maintenance, without need of CO2 injection, high-lighting and soils. Started with some plants as Java Ferns, Anubias and so far they are going good. Lighting is an LED which is on a timer for almost 3 hours daily. I also do weekly 40% water changes. Substrate is the regular white sand, with some driftwood and rocks which I already had. This is my first ever planted setup, I wanted to experiment and also learn a thing or two about the planted setup through this.
Beautiful tank set up and excellent photography.
Old 30th September 2019, 11:28   #870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
An update: I am trying a low-tech planted tank and it started around 2 months back.
A few pics of the setup:
That is looking great.

I have a natural aquarium with Shrimps, Guppies and Tetras. I am struggling to keep the algae growth in control on the plants, drift wood and even on the glass. Shrimps and Guppies are breading and Tetras are not looking bothered, so leaving the algae to thrive except on the glasses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks