Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2019, 13:35   #796
BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Here is a latest pic of Flash, our 24K Gold Asian Arowana. He has been with us for 2 years and like a member of our family.
This is one epic tank and filteration, had a few questions as I will be soon getting a larger tank for my Arowana, currently he is 5 inches. Also will be making a similar overflow sump.

1) What are your tank dimensions and glass used?
2) Acrylic or Glass and Low iron or normal?
3) Is the overflow able to collect poop and dirt from bottom of the tank?
Old 11th March 2019, 14:08   #797
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I have an issue, My pleco just died from my community tank, it was 2-2.5 inch long. I have 5 gold fishes, and a red ear slider turtle.

The gold fish have a white substance on their body some of them have some red rashes, to describe it, its like an injury that stays in the water and becomes like loose skin.

I have since changed water and isolated the weakest(most affected) fishes(3).

I have a bubble eye gold fish, and the bubble is burst

Yesterday being a Sunday I couldn't do much. In the morning the fishes were fine and looked better than yesterday. I will be going to the aquarium in the evening and buy some medicine.

My question is will the bubble head grow its bubble back?

Is the turtle the cause of concern? its just 1-1.25" long, and have seen it running away the moment it sees anyone near the tank.

I have a mechanical filter and added a bio filter on Saturday. Last water change was last sunday, it was a complete water change.

Pramod
Old 11th March 2019, 15:18   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Would avoid different species for now till you get the hang of things.
Yours is a one footer right? or was it 2ft?
1.5ish actually. Roughly, 18" x 8" x 20"

Could you confirm if my identification is correct? I'll proceed accordingly to replace them. Guppies and Tetras seem
1. Guppy
2. Tin foil barb
3. Molly/ Carp
4. Tin foil barb
5. Black widow tetra
6. Black shark

My Fishkeeping hobby-capture.jpg
My Fishkeeping hobby-capture2.jpg
My Fishkeeping hobby-capture3.jpg
My Fishkeeping hobby-capture4.jpg

Old 11th March 2019, 17:55   #799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Guys,

I have an issue, My pleco just died from my community tank, it was 2-2.5 inch long. I have 5 gold fishes, and a red ear slider turtle.
Haven't kept one but from what i have read from other turtle keepers are that they are crap machines and require heavy filtration.

Sounds like you have a bad case of infections in tank. What is your tank size? Come to think of it, the fishes you mentioned are also crap machines. Plecos are best kept in a large well filtered tank. In small tanks they are more harmful than good.

The aquarium guys sell it as waste eaters! On the contrary they produce a heck lot of waste on their own.

Do regular water changes, get a general medicine from seachem or API or hikari and treat the tank. Good oxygenation. Remove activated carbon if any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
1.5ish actually. Roughly, 18" x 8" x 20"

Could you confirm if my identification is correct? I'll proceed accordingly to replace them. Guppies and Tetras seem
1. Guppy
2. Tin foil barb
3. Molly/ Carp
4. Tin foil barb
5. Black widow tetra
6. Black shark
1) Carp from the look of it
2) Blue gourami
3) not visible
4) yep
5) yep
6) yep
Old 11th March 2019, 18:02   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
True, and thank you once again, this is extremely helpful.

One last question, whenever the time comes to replace them, should I just get a bunch of same species instead of mix-community? Like 3-4 Guppies or Cichlids or 1-2 Bettas?
To start off, I would suggest a group of Zebra Danio's. They are also available in colored varieties of green, pink, yellow, orange and purple (Also called as glofish). They are very hardy, active and colorful fish. They are perfect for the beginner's aquarium.

I would suggest you to go with a pair of flame dwarf gourami/ neon blue dwarf gourami and around 10 zebra danio's
Old 11th March 2019, 19:56   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is your tank size?
2FT X 1.5FT X 1 FT

Has(had) 5, now 4 gold fishes, 2 have been isolated into a bowl and has put some medicine called Mr yellow. Its to be treated fro 48 hours. Lets see.

I have 2 more planted tanks, they are under 30cm X 30cm X 30cm, one tank has neon tertas and other tank has mollys and angels(under 2cm)

The gold fish was a bad idea, I wanted something that my daughter could see from a distance.

Pramod
Old 11th March 2019, 21:27   #802
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tetracyclene used to be me goto medicine for puffy eyes. Change water, add med. Remove carbon if any. Good aeration.
thank you for your advice. 20 years back one could still get tetracycline but now it is impossible. But let me search.

Any suggestions of what will go with cichlids. My tank is large - over 1000 litres and full of cichlids. Will barbs co-exist or will the bigger red devils finish them off?
Old 11th March 2019, 22:38   #803
Senior - BHPian

From what I remember, your tank was already nicely stocked with American cichlids and a few Africans also if I am not mistaken.

Could try dither fishes but you have to accept the fact sooner or later they will be taken out by the beasts.

I had a good degree of success with the larger tetras like the blue Columbian tetras.

That said, would you mind posting a new video of your tank?
Old 12th March 2019, 10:42   #804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Guys,

The gold fish have a white substance on their body some of them have some red rashes, to describe it, its like an injury that stays in the water and becomes like loose skin.

I have since changed water and isolated the weakest(most affected) fishes(3).
Is the turtle the cause of concern? its just 1-1.25" long, and have seen it running away the moment it sees anyone near the tank.

...... Last water change was last sunday, it was a complete water change.

Pramod
Hi Pramod,

Your tank seems to be suffering from fungal infection. Does the white spots on the gold fish look like tiny, cottony, fluffy spots? If it is, then it's a fungal infection which has also grown into ulcers as seen from the red rashes. Treat the affected fishes with any anti fungal medicine and for the ulcers if these are persistent, you can give a PP bath. But be very careful if you've not done this earlier as miscalculation in dose will kill off already weak fishes.

Primary cause could be lots of organic debris getting accumulated, from both uneaten food and excreta of fish and the RES. Btw, all your stocking in this tank have very high bioload.
I suggest you remove the RES to a separate reptile tank and only keep the goldies in this tank, now that the Pleco is no more. Infact, sudden death of a hardy guy like Pleco is indication of high organic matter driven ammonia spike and/ or resultant toxic water.

Moreover, the RES is not really compatible with fishes as both their needs are very different. Pretty soon you may see it getting struck with some illness due to stress induced by a fully aquatic set up without the regular basking in the heat out of water.

Do keep us posted on the recovery of your little guys.

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 12th March 2019 at 10:44.
Old 14th March 2019, 06:06   #805
Senior - BHPian

My friend Zaki needs a home for these two shark fish who have outgrown our tank.. enough to bruise them. (Near Sophia school B'lore) Thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-img20190314wa0000.jpg  

Last edited by vinay kamath : 14th March 2019 at 06:20.
Old 14th March 2019, 11:02   #806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Hi Pramod,

Your tank seems to be suffering from fungal infection. Does the white spots on the gold fish look like tiny, cottony, fluffy spots.
Yes that's right, I had shifted 2 of the affected guys to a bowl for 2 days, they have been re introduced into the tank.

The turtle has been moved into a bowl and he looks pretty happy, He has his own mini island, white sand beaches and 2 coconut trees

I will be changing 25-30% of the water once in 3-4 days. I have lost a pleco and a goldfish in the last week and will not be re introducing any new fishes anymore.

Pramod
Old 14th March 2019, 11:10   #807
BHPian

Quote:
3) not visible
Does this video help?

Thing is, this fish is extremely shy and hides whenever any human approaches the tank. I thought maybe it's stressed or being bullied but I see her swimming happily if I observe from afar. The moment I walk to the tank, it hides in panic :/
Old 14th March 2019, 11:19   #808
Senior - BHPian

For a second I thought you had a marine fish in your tank :P

Looks like it is a carp
Old 14th March 2019, 11:24   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
My friend Zaki needs a home for these two shark fish who have outgrown our tank..
Is this the same fish visible in this video in the top of the frame at :08 - :09 mark?

Last edited by Nonstop-driver : 14th March 2019 at 11:25.
Old 14th March 2019, 11:26   #810
BHPian

Quote:
For a second I thought you had a marine fish in your tank :P

Looks like it is a carp
Thanks. The picture can be deceiving from some angles

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks