Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2018, 10:31   #646
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

What is a box filter?

And how big is the tank?

Would be tough to get a good one since the market for FHs has really come down. They still do keep popping up now and then but not so much.

Chennai would be your best bet i reckon. A good seller would be able to source one for you.

But curious as to why you like the thai silk version of the FH? Seen a few big ones and they all lost the glimmering shine and colour as they aged. Could be bad genes but still...

Good luck in getting a good one Post pics
Old 14th February 2018, 09:09   #647
Senior - BHPian

Dear all,

Can anyone let me know the name of this fish ?

My Fishkeeping hobby-img_20180214_090810.jpg

My Fishkeeping hobby-img_20180214_090807.jpg
Old 14th February 2018, 09:50   #648
Senior - BHPian

Carp and is your shark sick?

Both fishes have no business in a fish tank i am afraid :( Best kept in ponds.
Old 14th February 2018, 09:56   #649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Carp and is your shark sick?

Both fishes have no business in a fish tank i am afraid :( Best kept in ponds.
I was gifted a 30 litre tank with 5 fishes. The two fishes you see are the only ones who survived 6 weeks.

The problem with Shark is white spots (or Fungus). The same issue happened with couple of goldfish in the tank which eventually died.

On advice of a maintenance guy i am using "Generic Aid" Rid all drops in the Tank.

I didn't know anything about Carp. It seem to be most immune to the Fungus infection and has good appetite as well.

Last edited by DCEite : 14th February 2018 at 10:06.
Old 14th February 2018, 10:02   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I was gifted a 30 L tank with 5 fishes. The two fishes you see are the only ones who survived 6 weeks. The problem with Shark is white spots (or Fungus). The same issue happened with couple of goldfish in the tank which eventually died.

I think your fish has Ich

Google search Ich and you will know what this is. Can be treated with Salt and heat. But remember to go slow with Salt and heat because a sudden change will kill your fish. The recommended dose and frequency can be easily found on the internet.

Treat this ASAP before your fish die.

Last edited by ampere : 14th February 2018 at 20:15. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 14th February 2018, 10:04   #651
Senior - BHPian

The IR Shark grows up to 4ft in the wild and the carp grows to 2ft plus.

Please get a good medicine for the Shark before it is too late. From a good brand like Seachem or API. ICH will spread.

For your tank, i would suggest you to get a Betta or a few neon tetras.
Old 14th February 2018, 10:55   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
I think your fish has Ich

Google search Ich and you will know what this is. Can be treated with Salt and heat. But remember to go slow with Salt and heat because a sudden change will kill your fish. The recommended dose and frequency can be easily found on the internet.

Treat this ASAP before your fish die.
Quote:
The IR Shark grows up to 4ft in the wild and the carp grows to 2ft plus.

Please get a good medicine for the Shark before it is too late. From a good brand like Seachem or API. ICH will spread.

For your tank, i would suggest you to get a Betta or a few neon tetras.
Dear all,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have some more questions since i am a complete newbie to fishkeeping.

The exact Tank that i am using is following:

SOBO-400f

https://www.ebay.in/itm/SOBO-SO-400-...item4407ff1c91

I also got a water heater installed since its winter here, again on the recommendation of maintenance person.

Some questions:

1. What kind of diet these fishes have ? I was suggsted to have those small multi coloured balls - 4-5 balls per fish per day.

It's something like this but a different brand:

https://www.amazon.in/Taiyo-Grow-Fis...iyo+fish+foods

Is it a good choice and is my feeding frequency sufficient ?

2. What if i need to keep the fish unattended for a few days - like going for a vacation? Is there something called "weekend food" which can be fed to the fish during holidays ?

3. Most of the fish food floats on top of the tank, and i realize that some fishes don't like to swim to top to get their bite. In that case, is there other type of food that can settle to the bottom ?

4. What is the frequency to clean the water of fish tank and can it be done over selves or by way of some instrument ?

5. Anti-Itch, Anti-Fungal and Anti-Chlorine is what my maintanance guy suggested me to use regularly. Any feedback ?

6. Can i get fish like Neon Tatra/Betta online via some e-commerce site ? Because i don't think my shop has these fishes.

Last edited by DCEite : 14th February 2018 at 10:57.
Old 14th February 2018, 11:07   #653
Senior - BHPian

Just a few tips to get you started...

*Each fish has it's specific requirements as to tank size, water parameters and food.
*Buy fish based on your tank size. Decide the fish which even at it's maximum size will be ok in your tank.
*Quality of food is important for your fish's health and water parameters even more so. Remember that fish crap in the water. Good bio filtration with weekly water changes are a must.
*Do not use weekend foods. They mess up with the water parameters. As long as water is good and fishes have oxygen they will be ok for many days.
*Sinking pellets are also available. Most common would be Tetrabits
*Drain 50% water and refill every week. Do not take fish out or drain the tank fully and clean it by scrubbing it or however.
*A healthy well kept tank should stave of diseases but in the chance that it happens, be prepared by keeping branded medications in your shelf. API, Seachem, JBL medicines are safe and proven.

Again, for your tank i would suggest one betta with some nice decor or neon tetras with fake plants to start with.
Old 14th February 2018, 13:21   #654

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Guys, can you recommend an online store for getting discounted/best priced fish food ? Amazon or something else ?
Quote:
easypets
indianaquarium
ebay

i check prices on these sites and then on amazon. usually amazon prices are higher even by the same seller.

1> EasyPets (http://www.easypets.in/)
- I found this to be the most cost effective one of the lot. Most of the items are priced lesser comapred to other sites plus Rs 50 flat discount if you purchase any 2 or more items (hint: I order 2 items every time so that I get this discount resulting in multiple orders of 2 items each)

2> Indian Aquarium (http://www.indianaquarium.com/)
- second best

3> EBay India
- you get coupon codes in your personal mailbox once you create your account with them and can be redeemed on every purchase

4> Amazon is pricier most of the times compared to the above three

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Few pics of my saltwater setup
nice looking tank! well done.

Just wanted to know - are they live rocks that you have got there? I heard from my local fish store guy that selling of live rocks is not legal in India.

And, may I know what fish have you got?

I am setting up my first 'fish only' saltwater tank. Its getting cycled now. Planning to add fish in coming weeks.

Last edited by GTO : 14th February 2018 at 22:55. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 14th February 2018, 19:22   #655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscean502 View Post
Just wanted to know - are they live rocks that you have got there? I heard from my local fish store guy that selling of live rocks is not legal in India.
The substrate(mostly crushed dead coral) and coraline rocks are not exactly live rocks that are found in natural reefs. They may contain some microorganisms that help in cycling. I also add beneficial bacteria from time to time.

Quote:
And, may I know what fish have you got?
couple of redtail butterfly fish, domino damsels and blue damsels

Quote:
I am setting up my first 'fish only' saltwater tank. Its getting cycled now. Planning to add fish in coming weeks.
All the best. Do post some pics when you're done.

Last edited by badboyscad : 14th February 2018 at 19:23.
Old 14th February 2018, 20:09   #656

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
The substrate(mostly crushed dead coral) and coraline rocks are not exactly live rocks that are found in natural reefs. They may contain some microorganisms that help in cycling. I also add beneficial bacteria from time to time.

Thanks for all the info.
May I know where do you source the dead corals from?

Bottled beneficial bacteria? Which brand?
I am currently using Seachem Stability to cycle my tank.

Will post the pics once all set.

Last edited by ampere : 14th February 2018 at 20:16. Reason: Formatted quoted post
Old 15th February 2018, 12:43   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for all the info.
May I know where do you source the dead corals from?
Got it from a local guy who sets up marine aquariums.

Quote:
Bottled beneficial bacteria? Which brand?
I am currently using Seachem Stability to cycle my tank.
I use API but seachem is also good
Old 15th February 2018, 13:13   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Just a few tips to get you started...

*Drain 50% water and refill every week. Do not take fish out or drain the tank fully and clean it by scrubbing it or however.
*A healthy well kept tank should stave of diseases but in the chance that it happens, be prepared by keeping branded medications in your shelf. API, Seachem, JBL medicines are safe and proven.
Sorry for diving in. But I have some additional questions.

Is this 50% draining and refilling sufficient and there is no need to clean the substrate (obviously it would have fish poo) ever? I do not have a bio filter and hence asking? In my case what should be the water cleaning procedure?

Are these medicines generic in nature irrespective of fish? And regarding Seachem, I see in their website that Seachem Paraguard is a cure-all medicine. Would this suffice?
Old 15th February 2018, 13:19   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Sorry for diving in. But I have some additional questions.

Is this 50% draining and refilling sufficient and there is no need to clean the substrate (obviously it would have fish poo) ever? I do not have a bio filter and hence asking? In my case what should be the water cleaning procedure?

Are these medicines generic in nature irrespective of fish? And regarding Seachem, I see in their website that Seachem Paraguard is a cure-all medicine. Would this suffice?
If you have gravel, then yes by all means you need to use a siphon like this:
https://www.amazon.in/Python-Pro-Cle...dp/B0002APRVK/

This will suck out the gunk from the gravel while changing water.

As for water cleaning procedure much would depend on your tank size, your fishes and their sizes and your feeding patterns.

Medicines are generally classified into freshwater and marinewater. So unless you have scaleless fishes you can buy the generic ones.

To start with get one for Bacterial, Fungal and Parasites.

Also i would suggest getting Seachem prime or API Tap water conditioner if you are not sure of the water you are using to fill up your tank.

No apologies necessary Always glad to help.
Old 15th February 2018, 14:49   #660
BHPian

Quote:
As for water cleaning procedure much would depend on your tank size, your fishes and their sizes and your feeding patterns.
Here is the breakdown of all the parameters of my aquarium:

Tank Size: 24X12X20 (inches)
Water capacity (as calculated online) ~ 80Litres (filled with borewell water)
No of fish: 10
Breakdown: 2 Gold fish (about 2 inch size each), 2 Black Mollies (1.5 inch), 2 Tiger Barbs (~ 0.75 inch), 2 iridescent sharks (probably 2.5 inch long now) and 2 Gauramis (probably 3 spot ones).

Now I know the mix of fish is not the best, especially the Iridescent Shark and the fin nipper Tiger barb, but as of now things are going ok.

I have a filter cum bubbler, a heater set at 28C, LED lights (which are On during the evenings only) and also some ornaments (fake plants and the like). I also have around half an inch of gravel substrate. The aquarium is also not exposed to direct sunlight. I feed my fish twice a day (calculated at around 3 standard fish feed pellets per fish).

Some questions I have:

1) According to the description above, what is the water change/replacement cycle?
2) Is my aquarium overcrowded? And do the fish mentioned go well? I see the fin nipper Barb always go behind the Gold fish but I haven't yet come across a nipped fin?
3) If not over crowded, could you suggest some fish that I can add that go well with the mix mentioned?
4) I feel really bad for the Iridescent Sharks (Catfish really). I feel they don't suit the aquarium. They are too jumpy even with the slightest of disturbances. I read online that they are not really aquarium fish. Do I need to return them back to the pet shop (I am sure I treat them better than at the pet shop though).
5) Any other advise for me wrt temperature settings etc

I don't really trust the pet shop for advice now since I can see the fish he sold me are not really easy to maintain.

Also I am not a newbie at this, since I had an aquarium for around a year when I was around 15. But at that time, I didn't have much information and the fish eventually died. Now I want to make sure I do a good job.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by racer_ash : 15th February 2018 at 14:53. Reason: adding feeding pattern

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks