Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2014, 23:05   #1006
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai

Merwan, known for its mawa cakes to shut down in March :(

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2014/jan...-its-doors.htm

Last edited by prateekm : 10th January 2014 at 23:07.
Old 11th January 2014, 22:17   #1007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post

Prateek
Hi.
Very sad to read that another one of the 40 odd Irani joints closing down.
Though I do not go to these places nowadays but knowing that they are there gave me comfort.
One more goodbye to a small part of my life. Now only the memory of it will remain
Regards
Old 13th January 2014, 14:53   #1008
BHPian

Tried out Cafe Monza at Kharghar, right opposite the Little World Mall off the Highway. They have a mixed cuisine comprising of American, Italian and Morroccan cuisine.

Tried out all three varieties of burgers available and they were simply awesome, especially the fish burger! It could have been even better if they had served a larger portion of salad.

Other than that the Fish Tangine was very amazing and very well spiced. Tried the salads which too were good. However, the pasta was a bit too spicy and we still prefer the Pasta (infact all Italian Fare) at Pizzavito at Belapur - Simply the Best.
Old 19th February 2014, 21:57   #1009
BHPian

Aram Restaurant at VT. Fantastic Maharashtrian Fast Food! The Misal and Vada are stuff you can die for and some maharashtrian gems also available.. it's not the poshest of places but clean and hot stuff is provided!

I would recommend this any day!
Old 23rd February 2014, 12:46   #1010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Had been to an impromptu Lunch date with my wife on a weekday to Copper Chimney at Worli since we were in the same area. The buffet options @ 700 including tax was pretty tempting with good variety. But since we were not too hungry and short on time, decided to go a-la-carte.
Went straight for the main course and ordered Macchi Tamatar with Garlic Naan. The main dish consisted of boneless Pomfret fried fillet in a rich thick Tomato Gravy, it was divine with the Naan and plain steamed rice.

Do give it a try next time around, the portion size is good but a tad heavy on the pocket. They are opening a new Branch in Thane at Viviana mall, can't wait for it!
I had tried their buffet few years back at the same outlet. Worth ever penny. They happened to have chat as one of their starters/appetizers. Nice twist to the usual kebabs for starters !

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post

Just wondering, is there any relation between this Merwan Irani Cafe and the Merwan cakes outlet outside Andheri station ? Are the mawa cakes sold at Andheri made using the same recipe that Merwan Irani Cafe uses ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
Aram Restaurant at VT. Fantastic Maharashtrian Fast Food! The Misal and Vada are stuff you can die for and some maharashtrian gems also available.. it's not the poshest of places but clean and hot stuff is provided!

I would recommend this any day!
Gotta try this. If you love Maharashtrian food, have you tried Prakash and Aaswad at Shivaji Park, Dadar ? They're worth trying !

Last edited by Rosso Corsa : 23rd February 2014 at 12:52. Reason: Added more quotes
Old 23rd February 2014, 14:58   #1011
Senior - BHPian

CC at Thane is good news indeed. Will definitely try it the next time I visit. Meanwhile do try out "Alfredo's" also in Vivana mall on the ground floor in the central courtyard next to Manchester United or was it just 'Unted'. Alfredo's is a resto bar with emphasis on Italian food. The offerings were quite good but their 'Pesto' was easily one of the best I have had on our shores. Though it is only a dip/sauce, for me it can make a break the dish it accompanies or for that matter the pizza that is topped with the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
They are opening a new Branch in Thane at Viviana mall, can't wait for it!
Old 24th February 2014, 08:56   #1012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
CC at Thane is good news indeed. Will definitely try it the next time I visit. Meanwhile do try out "Alfredo's" also in Vivana mall on the ground floor in the central courtyard next to Manchester United or was it just 'Unted'. Alfredo's is a resto bar with emphasis on Italian food. The offerings were quite good but their 'Pesto' was easily one of the best I have had on our shores. Though it is only a dip/sauce, for me it can make a break the dish it accompanies or for that matter the pizza that is topped with the same.
Hi Khoj! yes Alfredo's is good, tried it multiple times, and ensured we repeat the Pasta in Pesto sauce every time ! Also there is a Lebanese kebab called 'Shish Touk' which is a must have and even their salad's are great!
Old 27th March 2014, 13:30   #1013
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Masala Library @ BKC, simply fantastic grub and I say this as a vegetarian.

Relatively small place and table reservations are hard to get (think, a week in advance). However, you can try your luck and get there early as they keep 3 - 4 tables for walk-ins.

I thought it's going to be one of those over-hyped joints....can tell you this, it lived up to all the hype. We ordered 2 starters, including the most delectable veg kebabs I've had in a while. The Aloo & mustard vegetable was excellent too. Noteworthy to mention, they keep getting you small stuff (on the house) as part of your meal. Small bread pieces - soft bun muska (at the start), some strawberry curd stick (before the main course) and yummy pan-flavored candy floss at the end.

Overall service was impeccable. Fine dining restaurant, hence pricing is on the expensive side.

Tip: Stick to the waiter's recommendations. Whatever we ordered was based on that.

Last edited by GTO : 27th March 2014 at 13:31.
Old 30th March 2014, 21:33   #1014
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Relatively small place and table reservations are hard to get (think, a week in advance). However, you can try your luck and get there early as they keep 3 - 4 tables for walk-ins.

I thought it's going to be one of those over-hyped joints....can tell you this, it lived up to all the hype. We ordered 2 starters, including the most delectable veg kebabs I've had in a while. The Aloo & mustard vegetable was excellent too. Noteworthy to mention, they keep getting you small stuff (on the house) as part of your meal. Small bread pieces - soft bun muska (at the start), some strawberry curd stick (before the main course) and yummy pan-flavored candy floss at the end.

Overall service was impeccable. Fine dining restaurant, hence pricing is on the expensive side.

Tip: Stick to the waiter's recommendations. Whatever we ordered was based on that.
Have been meaning to go here for a while. Its closest comparable is Indian Accent in Delhi (@ Friends Colony). Made a fabulous concept of Indian fusion cuisine.

If you went for a meal comprising several courses, I suspect the 'on the house' stuff you're referring to may have been given as palette cleansers perhaps.

Last edited by Axe77 : 30th March 2014 at 21:34.
Old 1st April 2014, 00:47   #1015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Tried out Cafe Monza at Kharghar, right opposite the Little World Mall off the Highway. They have a mixed cuisine comprising of American, Italian and Morroccan cuisine.

Tried out all three varieties of burgers available and they were simply awesome, especially the fish burger! It could have been even better if they had served a larger portion of salad.

Other than that the Fish Tangine was very amazing and very well spiced. Tried the salads which too were good. However, the pasta was a bit too spicy and we still prefer the Pasta (infact all Italian Fare) at Pizzavito at Belapur - Simply the Best.
Thank you for this tasteful bit of info!
Old 15th April 2014, 15:38   #1016
BHPian

Visited 'Status' restaurant this Sunday at Marine drive near NCPA. Awesome Gujarati Thali with reasonable rates. The staff is very courteous, only drawback had to wait 45 minutes that too on a Sunday afternoon, speaks volumes about their patronage.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 15th April 2014, 16:01   #1017
Senior - BHPian

Visited the Thane Viviana Branch of 'Copper Chimney' and was thoroughly disappointed :(
Positives: Nicely done up interiors and ambiance
Negatives: Very Very slow service and the standards of food not yet matching to their Worli branch.

Considering that it is new, may have to give it a miss for a few months until they are inline with what patrons expect from them.
P.S. They are not yet serving alcohol.
Old 15th April 2014, 20:27   #1018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Been meaning to go here for ages, tried for a table for Valentine's to no avail. Ah well, some other time maybe. It's one of those places I have heard not a single bad thing about, only rave reviews.

On a separate note, anyone else kicked about Restaurant Week India? Great fine dining restaurants at Rs. 1300 per head plus taxes for dinner per person. The list includes San-Qi, Ziya, Botticino, Hakkasan, Yauatcha and much more! It's on from 18th to 27th of this month.

Already booked San-Qi, considering Botticino or Ziya for Saturday, let's see.
Old 6th June 2014, 16:58   #1019
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai - Corniche

Name/Location: Corniche - Carter Road

Average Cost: Moderate to High

Food: Assortment of Continental, Asian and American food. The food is one of the best in its category. Spoiler alert: Their crab cake however is nowhere close to an actual crab cake in terms of preparation. But then, so is the case with most of the few places which do serve crab cake.

Service: service is great. waiters take time in addressing queries and are knowledgeable about all items on menu.

Ambience:The seating is brilliant, facing the sea. The decor is subtle and classy without any hint of overdo. There is an underground bar as well, which probably is little too loud in terms of decor.

Conclusion:Great place to finish off an evening after some road side shopping and food treats off carter road, Bandra.
Old 12th June 2014, 10:10   #1020
BHPian

Believe it or not but the best Biryani (Chicken, Mutton or Veg!!) that I have had the pleasure of having in Mumbai is not at a restaurant.

There is this guy in Fort who ONLY caters and delivers steaming hot Biryani wherever you want in Mumbai, including the Western, Central and Harbour suburbs - all the way upto Panvel.

The catch is, that you need to call him up and place the order, strictly one day in advance - preferably a minimum of 24hrs. Tell him the quantity - which has to be in kilos (for long distances he wont take small orders, ie half, quarter kilo etc!!), and give him your address.

If you are the discerning kind, he will prepare your biryani as per your specifications (meat/veg to rice ratio) and get the whole tumbler delivered to your office / home the next day.

The Biryani you get will be only for you, completely untouched and untossed, delivered to you in the very vessel in which it has been cooked!!

For the past many years we have been hogging his biryani, usually at our offices and sometimes for parties at home.

Slurrrrpppp.... All this talk and now I need an excuse to order it asap!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks