Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2015, 11:26   #1051
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai

Has Mahesh lunch home in Thane closed down or something? Have been trying their phone number for a long time but nobody's picking up.
Old 25th May 2015, 12:05   #1052
BHPian

Tried out a new place in Kharghar , Sector 12 called Papaji Da Dhaba!

Its a small place but the food was simple and lovely!
No heavy oil and ghee business.
A must try.
Old 25th May 2015, 17:05   #1053
BHPian

Anyone here ever visited Bhagat Tarachand in Sector 12, Vashi? In this blistering heat, we had to wait what seemed like an eternity just for a glass of water. The service was also very irregular - either they made us wait to place an order or irritated us every now and then if we wanted another round of roti/chapati. The food was also fair and not quite as good as the one in their APMC outlet. The only saving grace was the dal fry and the buttermilk. Oh and the butter chapati too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Sorry, got carried away and forgot to mention the contact details.

Chottu Bhai
Mob: 9892155177
Do you still order from this guy. I had tried calling him last week and I wasn't able to reach him. Has he changed his contact details or something?
Old 2nd June 2015, 10:17   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post
Do you still order from this guy. I had tried calling him last week and I wasn't able to reach him. Has he changed his contact details or something?
I still do and had recently (about 1 month back) ordered a cool 20kg of biryani from him for an office party. If you still aren't getting through - send me a PM and I will see what I can do.
Old 9th June 2015, 01:22   #1055
BHPian

Hi everybody, specially missal lovers.
From today's (8/6) Times of India.

Misal Rules

The vada-paav can take a back seat, please. It's misal time.Many know by now that the modest Mumbai meal has won accolades from a UK website, which has rated misal from the kitchen of Aswad, a Dadar eatery , the world's best vegetarian meal. The high honour has overnight turned Suryakant Sarjoshi into a celebrity in the pre-dominantly Marathi neighbourhood of Dadar. Mediapersons have been accosting the low-profile Aswad owner f for soundbytes. Old-timers say misal has had long innings, perhaps longer than its glamourous cousin, the vada-paav . Several south Mumbai eateries have decoded the misal mystique with dexterity . Each restaurant has its own top-secret recipe, the fine blending of masalas to make a hot, yummy tari, say insiders. Ve lankar's Kolhapuri restaurant and Vinay Lunch Home are the two key misal-makers of Girgaum. Anand Bhavan reigns in the ChinchpokliParel-Lalbaug belt. Panshikar's misal has a loyal following in and around Vile Parle, while Dadar foodies hold Prakash restaurant and Aswad in awe as mighty misal moghuls. The Mamlatdars from Thane have, meanwhile, entered the city's market, their modest outlets attracting gourmets in the western suburbs. May the misal mania add tadka to Mumbai's life.
Old 19th October 2015, 13:47   #1056
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

From a recent experience I would highly recommend a visit to Pizza by the Bay - http://www.pizzabythebay.in/index.ph...btb/locate-us/, Marine Drive, almost next door to Brabourne stadium/Cricket Club of india

They had a lunch buffet which included a bunch of Soups, Salads and Desserts but we decided to go the a la carte route and got Pizzas, some starters and Iced Teas. The Pizzas were excellent, so were the starters and loved the Iced Tea with Lychee

Also, while in Mumbai we tried Vada Pav from a streetside hawker (just went to his stall randomly) outside the Andheri station. This was easily one of the best ever Vada Pavs we'd had Just Rs.12!

EDIT:Oh and before I forget - a chinese restaurant in Mulund, I think it is called Kampa serves excellent chinese food!

Last edited by NPV : 19th October 2015 at 14:01.
Old 19th October 2015, 23:22   #1057
Senior - BHPian

That's great news, could you share their location in town. Thanks in advance for that. For me any visit to Bombay is incomplete without eating Mamlatdar's missal in Thane and keema pao at the canteen/restaurant just out side the police commissioner's office next to V.T./haj building and I cant's enter my house in Dilli unless I am carrying at-least a half dozen vada paos from Janta Farsan in Parle(East).

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
The Mamlatdars from Thane have, meanwhile, entered the city's market, their modest outlets attracting gourmets in the western suburbs. May the misal mania add tadka to Mumbai's life.
Old 20th October 2015, 12:55   #1058
BHPian

Tried 2 places last week. Bombay Canteen & The Fatty Bao.

Posted my review on Zomato for Bombay Canteen if you want details. Slightly overrated for my liking. I gave it 3.5/5. Per head 2k including drinks.

The Fatty Bao though was way better. Their Sushi (specially the veg. asparagus tempura & cream cheese) was divine. The bao's (one chicken & one pork) were delicious. So was the Malaysian Chicken Curry. My rating 4.5/5. Per head 1.5k (with 2 beers each).

There's a flood of bars mushrooming Bandra West. Today, Bar Stock Exchange opens at Kenilworth Mall just off Linking Road. My current favorite though is Monkey Bar.
Old 26th October 2015, 10:50   #1059
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
The Fatty Bao though was way better. Their Sushi (specially the veg. asparagus tempura & cream cheese) was divine.
+1 to Fatty Bao. Two more places since you like sushi - Umame (boring ambience, but awesome grub) and Nom Nom (fun ambience).

Got one more recommendation for this thread - Jantar Mantar (link). The Naan turnover will leave you speechless - it's that good. Best part is, it's open late at night too. Perfect stopover after a night out in the suburbs.
Old 26th October 2015, 11:51   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
+1 to Fatty Bao. Two more places since you like sushi - Umame (boring ambience, but awesome grub) and Nom Nom (fun ambience).

Got one more recommendation for this thread - Jantar Mantar (link). The Naan turnover will leave you speechless - it's that good. Best part is, it's open late at night too. Perfect stopover after a night out in the suburbs.
Thanks Rush, will try Umame & Jantar Mantar for sure. Nom Nom sadly hasn't really impressed me much.

The people who were behind Restaurant Week have this new mini-food extravaganza called Dinefest (dinefest dot in). They're offering a three course menu at just Rs. 600++. Worth a try in my opinion. Good vegetarian options too like Tuskers at Sofitel BKC & SpiceKlub. The fest is just till November 1 in case anyone is interested.

Edit:
Forgot to mention about Smoke House Deli at Bandra West, Ambedkar Road which has been my favourite for a while. The outstanding dish there is the lightly smoked lamb shanks. They are just so delicious that invariably i end up ordering it everytime for the main course. The missus loves the Chilly Crusted John Dory & repeats it often. Their cocktails also are quite good. Do try their desserts too.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 26th October 2015 at 12:02. Reason: shd
Old 28th October 2015, 22:55   #1061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
That's great news, could you share their location in town. Thanks in advance for that. For me any visit to Bombay is incomplete without eating Mamlatdar's missal in Thane and keema pao at the canteen/restaurant just out side the police commissioner's office next to V.T./haj building and I cant's enter my house in Dilli unless I am carrying at-least a half dozen vada paos from Janta Farsan in Parle(East).
Khoj
Hi.
You questioned about the missal places opened by Mamletdars in the suburbs.
It was in the newspapers and I am sorry I dont remember the location. Will check and revert.
Incidentally Aswaad at Shivaji Park is drawing huge crowds. My dayghter passed by on Saturday at 2.30 PM and there was a crowd waiting.
Regards
Old 28th October 2015, 23:19   #1062
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Mamledar have opened up outlets in Kandivili and Borivili - they are on Zomato - but the reviews aren't good.

I have eaten once in the Thane one - went there on Khoj's recommendation. It was really good but finding a decent parking spot within walking distance is nearly impossible, so haven't been able to go there again.
Old 29th October 2015, 14:04   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Anyone tried the Maharaja thaal that opened on October 27 in Navi Mumbai? It's at Satra plaza next to Mercedes Showroom

There is also Global Culture which has 3 restaurants and a bar in one building in Sanpada on Palm Beach road. I have been to the Italian & continental one - it's called 80 days. They claim on Tuesdays, everything on the menu is available for Rs. 80 & there were no terms & conditions anywhere from what I could see. The food is pretty good - pizza's are lovely. We have had 2 mini team-bhp meets there too.

Last edited by amit : 29th October 2015 at 14:08.
Old 1st November 2015, 16:37   #1064
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
The people who were behind Restaurant Week have this new mini-food extravaganza called Dinefest (dinefest dot in).
I'm not a fan of these restaurant week specials. They have a different menu that's shorter than the regular one. I'd rather go without any scheme and order what I really like.

Quote:
Forgot to mention about Smoke House Deli at Bandra West, Ambedkar Road which has been my favourite for a while.
Oh man, I love Smoke House Deli. Been there for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Love the bagels, burgers & coffee there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Incidentally Aswaad at Shivaji Park is drawing huge crowds.
Aaswad has good misal, but my favourite is Prakash (stones throw away).
Old 1st November 2015, 23:12   #1065
BHPian

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai

Speaking of Misal and Maharshtrian food one must try Mama Kane opposite of Dadar station west. This small house operating for over 100 years (since 1910) has some of the best Marathi veg dishes for a very reasonable price offered in a cleanly maintained joint.

Cons: There is a wait during peak hours, no AC and plus parking nearby is next to impossible.

Dishes worth trying: Must try Piyush, Kokam sarbat, thalipith, Kothimbir Vada and of course misal.

Last edited by TMRT : 1st November 2015 at 23:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks