Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2015, 23:46   #1066
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai

GTO/TMRT
Hi.
I too prefer Prakash missal, puri(they have been using the same attaa for decades) bhaji, vegetable patti samosa and of course kothimbir wadi which has some peanuts in the batter but the missal I love best is which is made of "safed watanaas".
I used to be a great fan of Mama Kane's "swacchh" meals. They used to be great but when I tried it, almost a decade back, wasnt too impressed.
Incidentally I stay 1 km north of Aswaad/Prakash and have been eating at these places for decades.
Regards
Old 4th November 2015, 22:25   #1067
BHPian

Tried Persian Darbar on Andheri-Kurla road. Awesome place to try some authentic Mughlai cuisine. The ambience is ok, almost retro.

Tried the mix kebab plate which had 3 types of kebabs, and each one was yum. Could not try the biriyani but have heard it is good. They specialize in raan preparations.

Will definitely be heading there again.
Old 4th November 2015, 22:59   #1068
BANNED

Potoba outside Bombay University (Kalina) also has good misal.
Old 24th November 2015, 14:31   #1069
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of recommendations based on recent experience:
1. Amar Juice Centre on Gulmohar Road (near Mithibai College). This is located very close to Andheri, Juhu and Vile Parle.
Amazing sandwiches, juices, milk shakes and even Idli, Dosa. Turns out it is owned by a Mangalorean, we felt at home conversing in Kannada with the staff there

2.Haji Ali juice centre outside the walkway/peer to Haji Ali Dargah and Mosque (near Heera Panna Centre/Mahalakshmi temple).
Amazing juices and milk shakes. Their specials are the fruits in fresh cream. I'm not a fan of cream dishes so was reluctant but we were offered complimentary "tasters" and it was simply awesome! The consistency, taste and temperature of the cream and fruits made it absolutely delectable.
When we reached this outlet, I mumbled to my wife that there is a copy of the Malayala Manorama newspaper near the counter, maybe these guys are from God's own country ? Before I knew it, the person inside started conversing with us in Malayalam Felt at home again here!

Thanks a ton to @ranjitp1 for recommending these 2 places. Don't miss if you visit or are in Mumbai.
Old 29th November 2015, 18:51   #1070
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hungry after a late night out? Head to Ramee (opposite the Dadar East station).

Went there last night at 230 a.m. and it was buzzing with activity. Family-friendly restaurant with excellent North Indian food (by late night standards).

It's open till 330 a.m.

Most people will disagree with me on this, but I found Yauatcha (BKC) to be highly over-rated and over-priced.
Old 29th November 2015, 19:34   #1071
BHPian

After a looonngg search, I finally found a good place in Mumbai for tasty succulent momos! Folks please head to Loco Chino (branches in Bandra and Oshiwara) if you get cravings for delicious and fluffy momos!

I tried the veg crystal and spinach & cheese and they were awesome!

They primarily serve Mexican and Chinese / Thai cuisine.
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-wp_20151108_20_54_40_pro.jpg  

Old 29th November 2015, 22:59   #1072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Couple of recommendations based on recent experience:
1. Amar Juice Centre on Gulmohar Road (near Mithibai College). This is located very close to Andheri, Juhu and Vile Parle.
Amazing sandwiches, juices, milk shakes and even Idli, Dosa. Turns out it is owned by a Mangalorean, we felt at home conversing in Kannada with the staff there
To be very honest, Amar Juice Centre is highly overrated and over-priced by a huge amount for what it essentially is - A slightly better version of a roadside stall. There are better places to eat such food. One option being the various stalls opposite Mithibai college. In particular, the stalls bang opposite Bhaidas hall are good and much much cheaper.
Old 30th November 2015, 18:08   #1073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Most people will disagree with me on this, but I found Yauatcha (BKC) to be highly over-rated and over-priced.
Yauatcha is overrated and overpriced.

Went to Mamagoto Bandra - slightly disappointing. Food was just OK and the ambience and service was not great. The staff try to be helpful but there are too many of them walking around without really attending. Place is quite crammed, more like a CCD than a fine dining restaurant. Menu is limited.

One of my new favourites is Aqaba (that is, if you like Mediterranean food). Superb setting, more like a 5* hotel than an independent restaurant. Located in Peninsula Business Park, Lower Parel. The mezze is really good. Slightly on the pricey side but worth it.
Old 7th December 2015, 16:55   #1074
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
I tried the veg crystal and spinach & cheese and they were awesome!
Thanks for the recommendation! Will try out.

Since you mentioned mexican food, when the heck is Taco Bell going to open here? They're currently only at Ghatkopar, Goregaon & Thane...all of which are too far away. Man, just the thought of their quesadillas makes my mouth water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
To be very honest, Amar Juice Centre is highly overrated and over-priced by a huge amount for what it essentially is
I think the Pav Bhaji at Amar Juice center is delicious! Never miss that & the masala pav if hungry at night. But I agree with you - there are equally good places around Juhu.

I think it's a matter of the 'taste' that you've gotten used to. Example, after years of eating Pav Bhaji at 'Classic' (opposite my school, Don Bosco @ Matunga), it's my favourite on the planet. Others who I take there the first time never get what the big deal is.

It's a similar story with Kirti College vada pav. No doubt, tasty, but not as good as people make it out to be. But again, they're so used to that particular taste that they don't like any other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Went to Mamagoto Bandra - slightly disappointing.
I love Mamagoto. Maybe you went on a bad day?

Quote:
One of my new favourites is Aqaba (that is, if you like Mediterranean food). Superb setting, more like a 5* hotel than an independent restaurant. Located in Peninsula Business Park, Lower Parel. The mezze is really good. Slightly on the pricey side but worth it.
Excellent food. Was there sometime in November. Loved it. Their smoking area is the best (out in the open on the garden). But the restaurant itself looks like a converted business convention center.
Old 11th December 2015, 00:12   #1075
Senior - BHPian

My family and I (6 of us) visited this place at Kemps Corner for dinner called 29. The concept of this place is derived from the 29 states of India and the owner has brought in unique items from each state and tried to ensure the food is as authentic as it gets. He even imports ships onions from Rajasthan to Mumbai for a particular kachori!

The owner Mr. N. Jain (please forgive me, I'm bad at remembering names) is one pleasant person. He personally visited each and every table, made the guests feel at home and insisted on us to try the dishes that he suggested. Not only that, he also narrated the story behind the dishes. Food quality, presentation and taste is top notch. I must admit that 90% of the things I ate today, I wasn't aware of...nevertheless, I'm glad Swati Snacks, Tardeo had a half an hour waiting which is why we ended up going here. The food is healthy (minimum oil) as well as reasonably priced.

The place is just 4 days old and my family and I were very pleased to see the enthusiasm of the staff and especially the passionate owner. They have valet parking and the ambience is bright & colourful + the place is quite big.

Directions: It is located in the Shiv Sagar / Cumballa Hill Hospital lane at Kemps Corner, Mumbai.

Last edited by S2!!! : 11th December 2015 at 00:14.
Old 11th December 2015, 10:16   #1076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I think the Pav Bhaji at Amar Juice center is delicious! Never miss that & the masala pav if hungry at night. But I agree with you - there are equally good places around Juhu.
GTO, if you don't mind eating Pav Bhaji at a stall, you must definitely try Maruti Pav Bhaji once in Vile Parle(W). It's located just at the junction of a by-lane and S.V. Road, opposite a car showroom, forgot the brand sadly. You will love it if you like spicy Pav Bhaji.

Oh, just found their Zomato page: https://www.zomato.com/mumbai/maruti...ile-parle-west

Being in US, I miss eating at all the places mentioned in earlier posts.

-Bhargav
Old 11th December 2015, 10:38   #1077
BHPian

I will be going to a foodie drive in last week of December. Plan is to leave Delhi on 24th Dec afternoon and return by 03rd Jan. Agenda is to drive and eat, so need some pointers about eateries

24th Dec: Ajmer - Lal maans - please suggest places
25th Dec: Surat - Bohri cuisine - please suggest places
26th Dec: Lunch at Globe, Udwada. Reach Mumbai by evening. Mondegar and Baghdadi

I will be leave Mumbai on 01st Jan morning, and reach Udaipur by evening. Stay there for two nights, leave on 03rd Jan morning and reach Delhi by night.

Please suggest eateries in Mumbai. I plan to go to Mahesh Lunch Home; what else?

Nitin
Old 14th December 2015, 16:14   #1078
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
My family and I (6 of us) visited this place at Kemps Corner for dinner called 29. The concept of this place is derived from the 29 states of India and the owner has brought in unique items from each state and tried to ensure the food is as authentic as it gets. He even imports ships onions from Rajasthan to Mumbai for a particular kachori!
Thanks for sharing! Will visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
GTO, if you don't mind eating Pav Bhaji at a stall, you must definitely try Maruti Pav Bhaji once in Vile Parle(W).
Had Maruti's Pav Bhaji many times. It's nice, but my personal preference is Amar Juice Center's Pav Bhaji.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Please suggest eateries in Mumbai. I plan to go to Mahesh Lunch Home; what else?
Search through this thread! You'll see everything worth visiting.
Old 14th December 2015, 20:34   #1079
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_stripes View Post
Tried Persian Darbar on Andheri-Kurla road. .... Could not try the biriyani but have heard it is good. They specialize in raan preparations...
I love their Rann mutton Biriyani - can serve 4-5 guys easily without any other dishes. My friends were of the opinion that the rice was a bit "dry" though.

The mutton Biriyani is otherwise a bit salty (same as Shalimar restaurant). Ambiance is good though.
Old 17th December 2015, 00:45   #1080
Senior - BHPian

Tried The sahib room and kipling bar at St Regis lower parel, Liked it very much, We were there for the Mughlai food and well it was really nice, Ambiance was really nice. Only thing which i did not like was the slow service, But that was acceptable since everything served was really hot.

Would easily rate them a 8.5 on 10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks