Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2020, 15:49   #1306
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Some more pics. The landing gear is really complex on the Mig-31 with two wheels on the rear main carriage but not on the same axel and on opposite sides.
The mechanics who maintain it will agree. It is a rather asymmetric and complex gear {photo below}. Neither of the two axles are on the load bearing main strut. The need to fit a heavy twin wheel gear while taking up minimum depth in the lower fuselage are the driving force. The design of the MiG-31 simply spells Royal Bengal Tiger
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-48297mig31foxhoundlandinggear5.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 18:08   #1307
BHPian

Found this interesting Video from Russia Today on the Mig-31 :

Was so happy to see the pilot's flight suits in Blue, I had randomly painted my pilot's in blue

Last edited by Foxbat : 14th September 2020 at 18:14.
Foxbat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 20:54   #1308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Found this interesting Video from Russia Today on the Mig-31 :
Enjoyed that video. Soviet hardware was almost always rock solid. I loved that (now old world) charming dial analogue cockpit with its classic Soviet era turquoise blue.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 11:15   #1309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some more pics. The landing gear is really complex on the Mig-31 with two wheels on the rear main carriage but not on the same axel and on opposite sides.
Nicely done Foxhound, Foxbat!!! I wait for the day when I get to say - Nicely done Foxbat, Foxbat , preferably an IAF Garuda.

Truly outstanding work on the model. Liked it very much

Thought of doing this- a comparison between the Original and its ultimate evolution - The major external differences between the Su-27 & the Su-35.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-flanker_comp.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-flanker_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-flanker_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-flanker_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-flanker_4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-flanker_5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-flanker_6.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-flanker_7.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-flanker_8.jpg
skanchan95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 15:56   #1310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Nicely done Foxhound, Foxbat!!! I wait for the day when I get to say - Nicely done Foxbat, Foxbat , preferably an IAF Garuda.

Truly outstanding work on the model. Liked it very much

Thought of doing this- a comparison between the Original and its ultimate evolution - The major external differences between the Su-27 & the Su-35.
Thanks Skanchan for the detailed comparison and incidentally this is a topic which has been puzzling me a bit. I have ordered this kit from Russia which is described as a Su-35 but it should not have Canards right? I have checked the instructions online also and it shows a model with Canards.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-screenshot-20200918-3.54.03-pm.png
Foxbat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 17:05   #1311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have ordered this kit from Russia which is described as a Su-35 but it should not have Canards right? I have checked the instructions online also and it shows a model with Canards.
That is probably because it is a model of the "old" Su-35. In the late 80s, a few modernized Su-27M prototypes were equipped with canards and thrust vectoring nozzles and they were designated as the Su-35. The canards and thrust vectoring nozzles eventually became a part of the Su-30MKI programme in the 90s while the Su-27 spawned into the "new" Su-35 minus the canards.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-su27m-copy.jpg
skanchan95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 17:34   #1312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post

Needed some more of your "Flanker" expertise:

The multirole combat aircraft Sukhoi Su-34, NATO code name "Fullback", is a Russian twin-engine, twin-seat able to perform strike, interdiction, ground and naval attack duties. It has been developed, on the reliable design of the fighter Sukhoi Su-27 “Flanker”, to replace the swing-wing Sukhoi Su-24 “Fencer”.

The Russian company Sukhoi has also developed a dedicated version for export named Sukhoi Su-32 FN (Fighter Naval). Three specimens were tested by Indian Air Force in 2015.

Name:  Screenshot 20200928 at 5.28.44 PM.png
Views: 395
Size:  57.7 KB

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-screenshot-20200928-5.33.10-pm.png

Did this really happen or its just some aircraft model maker's fantasy?

I haven't been able to find anything about it on the internet.
Foxbat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 10:43   #1313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Russian company Sukhoi has also developed a dedicated version for export named Sukhoi Su-32 FN (Fighter Naval). Three specimens were tested by Indian Air Force in 2015.

Did this really happen or its just some aircraft model maker's fantasy?
This is the first time I am reading about an Indian connection to the Su-32FN/Su-34. I don't recall reading about this and It is most probably the work of someone's fantasy, something like this -an Indian Navy Yak-38!!!:
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-yak38_in.jpg

Although in the Yak-38's case, the Indian Navy did show some interest in it. When an Indian Navy delegation asked about the Yak-38 to Admiral Gorshkov, he bluntly said - If I were you, I would buy the Sea Harrier!!! Later when V/Adm Shekhar Sinha, a very distinguished Naval fighter pilot, during one of his visits to Murmansk, requested to meet an ex-Soviet Navy Yak-38 pilot. Sinha asked him about the handling characteristics of the Yak-38, the Soviet pilot said he was happy that the Yak was out of service.

Besides, why would the IAF need a Su-32 when it already has the very similar Su-30MKI? Yes, the SU-32FN is the export designation for the Su-34. But if you are thinking of making a "what if" model from a kit, I think this would a be good choice.....something like an Indian version of the Growler.

However, I don't think FN stands for Fighter Naval. The Russian Naval Flanker trainer was the Su-27KUB- looked very similar to the duck nose shaped SU-32/34. However, the Su-27KUB's hump aft of the cockpit was not as pronounced as the Su-34. The Su-27KUB also had an IRST(missing on the Su-34). Russian Naval pilots also trained on the Su-25UTG and MiG-29KUB for carrier operations.

Su-27KUB:
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-su27kub.jpg

Su-34:
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-su34.jpg

It was the Su-27KUB that was flown by Indian pilots as a part of the Su-33 evaluation for selecting the shipborne fighter for the ex Russian Kiev class aircraft carrier - Admiral Gorshkov(INS Vikramaditya). The Su-33 was deemed too large for the carrier and the MiG-29K was eventually selected by the Indian Navy.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 29th September 2020 at 11:01.
skanchan95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 09:45   #1314
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.newindianexpress.com/goo...y-2203205.html

Ananth Raj from a village in Kerala makes military scale models out of paper.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-man.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 16:22   #1315
BHPian

Lt. Indra Lal Roy’s SE.5a. Indra, born in Calcutta joined the Royal Flying corps at the age of 18 in 1917 and went on to score 10 German airplanes in a span of just two weeks- this feat makes him the only Indian till date to achieve Ace status as a pilot. He was eventually shot down and killed himself near Calais, France. His service was rewarded with the Distinguished Flying Cross.

The following is a 48th scale model of the plane with which he scored all his kills. Also attached is a postage cover issued in his honour by India Post in 1998. The model is extremely accurate inside the cockpit and has the tiniest knobs and dials represented.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-8e4763f4db1f428f86eb827990eb0d98.jpeg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-1db6d6bd359840d59d37ea2d851c1691.jpeg  

basuroy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 16:26   #1316
BHPian

And another 48th scale model finished in unison- the Airco DH-2. A very complicated rigging job but what an esoteric model it is!

And finally some pics of a Seahawk, this one in 72nd scale of course which still remains my standard scale.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-9282db190e114bf892953b104cce226e.jpeg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-628e1cd6d4cf4f5dbc2bd28fffc9cba4.jpeg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-2de67bbc476e4ed0984510e6425389b6.jpeg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-2e846c4cb0ac43d288bbd76bd5ef8f26.jpeg  

basuroy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 17:46   #1317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
And another 48th scale model finished in unison- the Airco DH-2. A very complicated rigging job but what an esoteric model it is!
A beautifully crafted model. What a delight to behold. The paint work is superbly realistic down to the subtle weathering. I always had a soft spot for pushers. Given the limitations of technology before 1920 and the rudimentary materials available it was a sensible way to go. For most pilots the big thing was that if the engine caught fire, which it often did, the flames will be flowing away from the pilot and not towards him! But a pusher screw is usually several percentage points less efficient than a tractor because it is cutting into disturbed air. Today all jet fighter are pushers by definition!
Quote:
And finally some pics of a Seahawk, this one in 72nd scale of course which still remains my standard scale.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 17:59   #1318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
A beautifully crafted model. What a delight to behold. The paint work is superbly realistic down to the subtle weathering.
Thank you ☺️☺️☺️

Oh I didn’t know about the engine flameout thing but that of course makes perfect sense. Incidentally it reminds me of another frequent hazard they faced- engine oil or worse radiator leaking throwing hot liquid on their face.
basuroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 18:41   #1319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Thank you ☺️☺️☺️

Oh I didn’t know about the engine flameout thing but that of course makes perfect sense. Incidentally it reminds me of another frequent hazard they faced- engine oil or worse radiator leaking throwing hot liquid on their face.
Yes and that too. Imagine flying + trying to control a gun + having cold wind and sleet slapping on your face. Those WW-I pilots did not have it easy. Also with those massive (relative to weight) wings these aircraft must have responded a little like a kite to every strong gust of wind. Hats off to those chaps.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 20:05   #1320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Yes and that too. Imagine flying + trying to control a gun + having cold wind and sleet slapping on your face. Those WW-I pilots did not have it easy. Also with those massive (relative to weight) wings these aircraft must have responded a little like a kite to every strong gust of wind. Hats off to those chaps.
As tough as it gets, fabric airplanes so they caught fire with ease as well! That was was incredibly brutal for sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks