Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2021, 15:46   #1426
BHPian

Re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
^^^^^^
A side by side two seater?? Su-34, but the nose isn't broad enough? Knowing its yours it couldn't be an F-111 :-) . Blackjack?
Su-34 is correct Some further research shows the toilet is actually a portable urinal and the kitchen is just a can heater!

Name:  Screenshot 20210127 at 3.44.23 PM.png
Views: 601
Size:  274.4 KB

Name:  Screenshot 20210127 at 3.44.44 PM.png
Views: 580
Size:  167.5 KB

Last edited by Foxbat : 27th January 2021 at 15:47.
Foxbat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 15:51   #1427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Su-34 is correct Some further research shows the toilet is actually a portable urinal and the kitchen is just a can heater!
By hardy Russian standards, very luxurious :-). Reminds me that when the Petya class light ASW frigates came to the IN from USSR in 1969 they had two , yes just two toilet seats on the ship for a crew of 100. You can imagine the chaos that would lead to in the morning! One of the first things we had to do was weld in modifications to increase the number of heads (that's what the Navy calls their thrones). But the frigates were packed to the gill with weaponry that was better than anything we had.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 20:18   #1428
Distinguished - BHPian

Nakajima B5N2:: Torpedo Bomber of the Imperial Japanese Navy, WW-II:: 1:72, Hobby Master (HM), diecast metal

Has the good attention to detail we expect from an HM product. The rear hole for the stand can be used only if you don't fix the torpedo!!! HM could do a better job in design. Weak landing gear so stand is a must. Wingspan of 8.5" long and length of 6"

The Nakajima B5N was the standard carrier-based torpedo bomber of the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) for much of World War II. Along with the Douglas Devastator it was one of the two first modern carrier borne torpedo bombers combing all the modern developments of the 1930s – monoplane, all metal, large wet wing, 1000 hp radial engine, manual folding wings, constant speed 3-blade propeller and range.

The B5N2 was substantially faster and more capable than its Allied counterparts the B5N operated throughout the whole war, due to the delayed development of its successor, the B6N.

In the early part of the Pacific War, flown by well-trained IJN aircrews and as part of well-coordinated attacks, the B5N achieved particular successes at the battles of Pearl Harbor, Coral Sea, Midway, and Santa Cruz Islands. The B5N2 was an improved definitive version that served in most of WW-II including playing a major role in the attack on Pearl Harbour. One of B5N2's carried Mitsuo Fuchida, the commander of the attack, with one B5N2 credited with sinking the battleship USS Arizona. Apart from this raid, the greatest successes of the B5N2 were the key roles it played in sinking the American aircraft carrier USS Lexington at the Battle of the Coral Sea and Hornet at the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands, and the disabling of the Yorktown at the Battle of Midway, which led to its sinking by a Japanese submarine.

The first and last photos are from HM
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-nakajima-kate-.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-nakajima-kate-b.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-nakajima-kate-c.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-nakajima-kate-d.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-nakajima-kate-d2.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-nakajima-kate-e-lg.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-nakajima-kate-f.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-nakajima-kate-g.png  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-nakajima-kate-h.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-nakajima-kate-i.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-nakajima-kate-j.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 11:25   #1429
Distinguished - BHPian

Douglas A-1 Skyraider, ground attack aircraft::Armee de lAir::Hobby Master 1:72, diecast
Wingspan ~8 inches; Length ~6 inches. Very good quality of detailing and fit.

Another one of Ed Heinemann’s eternal designs that continued to find new roles decade after decade. Ed Heinemann was one of those superlative aircraft designers in the league of Mikoyan, Pavel Sukhoi, Sir Sydney Camm, Sir George Edwards, Kurt tank, Willy Messerschmitt etc. Among his other legendary designs are the A-4 Skyhawk and A-26 Invader.

Designed for service in WW2 off carriers the A-1 Skyraider instead found its niche in the wars in Korea, Alegria, Chad, & Vietnam. The last one being where it gained lasting fame for its ruggedness and endurance and ability to carry out multiple ground attacks in a day with low maintenance. It was, as per my readings, the last single engine piston powered combat aircraft to stay in service with any major Air Force. It was also, to me knowledge the most powerful single-piston powered aircraft to see regular service.
It’s major features were – a 2700 shp air cooled fuel sipping radial; a large low aspect ratio wing; large internal fuel capacity of 1400 litres {quite large for a single piston engine aircraft}; armoured cockpit; typical American self-sealing tanks and a huge payload of 3600 kgs on no less than 15 hardpoints that gave significant flexibility on munitions.

It’s primary role in Vietnam of direct close support to ground troops was possible to perform successfully due to limited anti-aircraft weapons with the Viet Cong in South Vietnam and the border zone. Against a better armed adversary, it could not have survived.

The versatility of the design is evident in that it was built in single seat, twin seat, three seat and four seat versions. Other than the standard attack version, versions existed for electronic counter measures, night fighting, AEW, carrying nuclear weapons and even one for moving personnel & light cargo.

Specifications:

Wingspan: 50’
Length: 39’
Wing Area: 400 sq feet

Empty Weight: 5.4 tonnes
MTOW: 8.2 tonnes
Fuel: 1400 litres, internal;

Armament: 20mm x 4 cannons; 3600 kgs across 15 hard points

Engine: Wright R3350 18-cylinder radial = 2700 shp

Speed: 280 knots {~520 kmph}
Endurance: 1100+ nm {~2100+ kms}
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-douglas-skyraider-a1-.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-douglas-skyraider-a1-b.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-douglas-skyraider-a1-c.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-douglas-skyraider-a1-d.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-douglas-skyraider-a1-e.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-douglas-skyraider-a1-f.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-douglas-skyraider-a1-i.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-douglas-skyraider-a1-j.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-douglas-skyraider-a1-k.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 14:54   #1430
BHPian

Quote:
Nakajima B5N2:: Torpedo Bomber of the Imperial Japanese Navy, WW-II:: 1:72, Hobby Master (HM), diecast metal
Very detailed model Emperor Hirohito sends his warm regards

Interesting to note that it used the same engine as the much smaller and more manoeuvrable Zero. A side by side photo with your white Zero would be great for size comparison but I just remembered it was 1:48 Scale while this is 1:72.
Foxbat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 21:38   #1431
Distinguished - BHPian

And now coming to a theatre near you....the one and only.......

Sneak preview for the friends of this thread.....the super model will pose for photographs in the sunlight tomorrow.....

<sound of bugles>
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20210207_173739.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20210207_173802.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 18:13   #1432
Distinguished - BHPian

Dassault Rafale EH, IAF :: Medium MRCA :: 1:48, plastic :: BS001
Length 12"+; Wingspan ~9". Excellent detail & etchings; the first single seater to join the IAF fleet

The readers of this thread need no introduction to this aircraft or even this tail fin number. BS001 named in honour of Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa is the first single seater. Though the first of the EH single seaters it is not, IIRC, the first to be built. That position went to I think to RB001 a twin seater. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Details of the Rafale can be found on this thread, so I won't repeat them here. - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/comme...rew%20of%20two (Dassault Rafale, Indian Air Force's new Multi-Role Combat Aircraft! EDIT: MMRCA Evaluation on Page 7).

From a design point of view the Rafale is the Cheetah and the Su-30MKI is the Tiger.

This scale model was curated and assembled by our very own member Basuroy. The weapons & the colours/markings had to be procured separately and all put together to make this grand model. As usual he has done a swell job. The apple of my eye. The model looks so attractive my wife has permitted me to place it in the dining room, for a few days, as a special favour.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rafale-a1.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rafale-a2.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rafale-a3.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rafale-a4.jpg
Note the good looks and curved hull lines, the blended wing & hull, the LERX, the leading edge flaps, the ailerons and flaperons, the inflight refueling probe, the tucked in air-intakes, the canards, the slightly nose up stance (aids take off)

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rafale-b1.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rafale-b2.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rafale-b3.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rafale-b4.jpg
The business end of the MRCA. IR homing Magic AAMs on the wing tips; laser guided bombs on the wing outers; 1300 litre tanks on the wing inners; MICA medium range AAMs on hull rear; SCALP cruise missile on centre line {named APACHE here which is the base missile on which SCALP is based. Couldn't get one with SCALP embossed on it.}. The starboard side hull forward pylon is empty - usually used for the Thales guidance pod.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rafale-c1.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rafale-c2.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rafale-c3.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rafale-c4.jpg
Close-up looks. Note the fine etchings and details

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img20210208wa0004.jpg
The actual aircraft

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rafale-d1.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rafale-d2.jpg
The fine lines...
V.Narayan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 12:07   #1433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Douglas A-1 Skyraider, ground attack aircraft::Armee de lAir::Hobby Master 1:72, diecast
Wingspan ~8 inches; Length ~6 inches. Very good quality of detailing and fit.
An outstandingly well detailed model. Congratulations!!!!

I am waiting for a Vietnam era Skyraider to be available, especially a USAF one in SEA camo. Many a times, those Sandy's were the last hope of downed pilots. A couple of US Navy Skyraiders even shot down to down VPAF MiG-17s early in the war.

Lt. Johnson described his engagement with a VPA MiG-17 in Donald J. McCarthy, Jr.'s book “MiG Killers A Chronology of U.S. Air Victories in Vietnam 1965-1973” as follows: “I fired a short burst at the MiG and missed, but got the MiG pilot’s attention. He turned into us, making a head-on pass. Charlie and I fired simultaneously as he passed so close that Charlie thought I had hit his vertical stabilizer with the tip of my tail hook. Both of us fired all four guns. Charlie’s rounds appeared to go down the intake and into the wing root, and mine along the top of the fuselage and through the canopy. He never returned our fire, rolled, inverted, and hit a small hill, exploding and burning in a farm field.”

Quote:
Simply Stunning!!!! I am at loss of words to describe how beautiful your model looks. Would love to see it parked next to your IAF Flanker.

Basuroy, outstanding work as always!!!!
skanchan95 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 12:43   #1434
BHPian

Quote:
Length 12"+; Wingspan ~9". Excellent detail & etchings; the first single seater to join the IAF fleet
Simply Superb! Makes my IAF Rafale look a bit small....
I think this one can be the center piece of your collection (until you get a
IAF Mig-25 )

@Basuroy I am assuming this is a French Air Force 1:48 Rafale kit which you have added decals to? and the weapons are from another kit or ordered separately ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Lt. Johnson described his engagement with a VPA MiG-17 in Donald J. McCarthy, Jr.'s book “MiG Killers A Chronology of U.S. Air Victories in Vietnam 1965-1973” as follows: “I fired a short burst at the MiG and missed, but got the MiG pilot’s attention. He turned into us, making a head-on pass. Charlie and I fired simultaneously as he passed so close that Charlie thought I had hit his vertical stabilizer with the tip of my tail hook. Both of us fired all four guns. Charlie’s rounds appeared to go down the intake and into the wing root, and mine along the top of the fuselage and through the canopy. He never returned our fire, rolled, inverted, and hit a small hill, exploding and burning in a farm field.”
That was an interesting incident which showed the "Fresco" in bad light so I had to read up on it a bit!

It seems it was 4 A-1s vs two Mig-17s who were waiting to see who would rescue the pilots of a F-4 Phantom shotdown by another Mig-17.

Source is American so propaganda alert!

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-du...ps-in-vietnam/

A-1 Skyraiders lost in the Vietnam War:
USAF: 191
US Navy: 65
South Vietnamese Air Force: 225

Total: 381

Last edited by Foxbat : 9th February 2021 at 12:53.
Foxbat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 16:53   #1435
BHPian

Quote:

While reading up on the A-1 Skyraider and its usage in the Vietnam war I am come up on this rather surprising fact:

The North Vietnamese captured 877 South Vietnam Air Force aircraft and helicopters including 73 F-5s, 113 A-37s, 36 A-1s, 40 C-119s, 36 AC-47s, 430 UH-1s and 36 CH-47s, some of which were put into service by them after the war.

This would have been one of the biggest Air Forces in world acquired free of cost!

A captured A-1 at the Army Museum in Hanoi, Vietnam.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-15438609capturedusplaneatthearmymuseuminhanoivietnam.jpg

But when you read about the Air War in Vietnam all you hear about is the "Mig killers"

Last edited by Foxbat : 9th February 2021 at 16:55.
Foxbat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 13:34   #1436
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
An outstandingly well detailed model. Congratulations!!!!

Simply Stunning!!!! I am at loss of words to describe how beautiful your model looks. Would love to see it parked next to your IAF Flanker.
Your wish is my command. The two big birds of the IAF together. How big the Flanker is , is evident that here the Rafale is 1:48 and the Flanker a 1:72!!!!! Rafale is 50 feet in length - very compact considering the MiG-21 is 44 feet without the probe. The Flanker stands tall at 72 feet. Another point of comparison is the ATr42 turboprop that all of us are familiar with - that is 74 feet long just marginally longer than a Flanker.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20210214_122245-002.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20210214_122411-002.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 15th February 2021 at 13:37.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 20:13   #1437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your wish is my command. The two big birds of the IAF together. How big the Flanker is , is evident that here the Rafale is 1:48 and the Flanker a 1:72!!!!! Rafale is 50 feet in length - very compact considering the MiG-21 is 44 feet without the probe. The Flanker stands tall at 72 feet. Another point of comparison is the ATr42 turboprop that all of us are familiar with - that is 74 feet long just marginally longer than a Flanker.

Thank you so much for the photos!!! It was a treat to see them together
skanchan95 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 19:50   #1438
BHPian

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

The Sukhoi Su-34 (Russian: Сухой Су-34; NATO reporting name: Fullback) is a Soviet-origin Russian twin-engine, twin-seat, all-weather supersonic medium-range fighter-bomber/strike aircraft. It first flew in 1990, intended for the Soviet Air Forces, and it entered service in 2014 with the Russian Air Force.

Based on the Sukhoi Su-27 Flanker air superiority fighter, the Su-34 has an armored cockpit for side-by-side seating of its two-person crew. The Su-34 is designed primarily for tactical deployment against ground and naval targets (tactical bombing/attack/interdiction roles, including against small and mobile targets) on solo and group missions in daytime and at night, under favourable and adverse weather conditions and in a hostile environment with counter-fire and electronic Warfare (EW) counter-measures deployed, as well as for aerial reconnaissance. The Su-34 will eventually replace the Su-24 tactical strike fighter and the Tu-22M3 long-distance bomber.

The Su-34 shares most of its wing structure, tail, and engine nacelles with the Su-27/Su-30, with canards like the Su-30MKI, Su-33, and Su-27M/35 to increase static instability (higher manoeuvrability) and to reduce trim drag.

The Su-34 is powered by a pair of Saturn AL-31FM1 turbofan engines, the same engines used on the Su-27SM; giving the aircraft a maximum speed of Mach 1.8+ when fully loaded. Although having a slower maximum speed than the standard Su-27, the Su-34 can still handle high G-loads and perform aerobatic maneuvers. When equipped with a full weapons load, the Su-34 has a maximum range of 4,000 kilometres without refuelling, this can be extended further via aerial refueling.The airframe is also cleared to perform maneuvers of up to +9 g.The noise level of the Su-34 is two times lower than the level of its predecessors.

The Su-34 is a three-surface design having both a conventional horizontal tailplane at the rear and a canard foreplane in front of the main wings. The foreplane provides both additional lift (force) and greater manoeuvrability. It has twin tail fins like those of Su-27 from which it is derived. The Su-34 has 12 hardpoints for 8,000 kg (17,600 lb) of ordnance, intended to include the latest Russian precision-guided weapons. It retains the Su-27/Su-30's 30 mm GSh-30-1 cannon, and the ability to carry R-77 air-to-air missiles (6 pcs) and R-73 (also 6), with the air-to-air missiles being primarily for defense against pursuers if detected by the rearward facing radar. The maximum weight of any single munition carried is 4000 kg, its stand-off weapons have range up to 250 kilometres.

1/72 Russian Air Force Sukhoi Su-34 , Zhiukovsky Air Base, 2003

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20210221_134147728.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20210221_134313022.jpg

Carrying 3 Ka-500M Laser Guided bombs, 2 KH-31A Air to Surface Missiles,
2 Kh-29L Air to Surface Missiles, 2 R-73M and 2 R-77M Air to Air Missiles.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20210221_134631959.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20210221_134532591.jpg

The Real aircraft.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-2881.jpg
Foxbat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 19:53   #1439
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow! WOW! And WOW. What a catch. The ultimate deep penetration strike aircraft. Hearty congratulations.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 20:08   #1440
BHPian

Quote:
Wow! WOW! And WOW. What a catch. The ultimate deep penetration strike aircraft. Hearty congratulations.
Thanks Narayan, I think Russians believe bigger is always better , The Su-34 dwarfs even the mighty Foxbat. The Rafale and Fishbed seem to be small children!

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20210221_143041374.jpg

On a side note I recently notices the Gripen is almost exactly the size of a Mig-21, even the radome seems to be bigger on the Mig-21bis.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20210221_143216085.jpg
Foxbat is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks