Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2021, 17:23   #1501
BHPian

Re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
1:200 Boeing 777-300ER Govt of India (Air India One) VT-ALW(K-7067) [Hogan Wings]
Another unique addition to your Civilian India collection I remember just a few months ago we were debating whether the pictures were real or photoshopped and within a short time Hogan has launched a scale model of the plane!

On a Side Note, has Hogan increased it prices? I remember just two years back I was almost able to get a diecast 1:200 777 from the US on
discount for the price of a Hogan model on DBJets right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
English Electric Canberra B.66 :: Indian Air Force, Medium Bomber :: 1:72 S&M Models, plastic
Model is about 11 inches in length and has a wingspan of 11 inches too

Your 1:72 IAF collection is growing daily it seems ! Another beautiful model by Basuroy, I remember he was thinking of putting external stores on the model but decided not to for some reason.

A photoshoot of your historic 1:72 IAF collection is due. I'm sure you have ordered a few more cabinets for these new additions.

Last edited by Foxbat : 20th May 2021 at 17:28.
Foxbat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 10:20   #1502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Another unique addition to your Civilian India collection I remember just a few months ago we were debating whether the pictures were real or photoshopped and within a short time Hogan has launched a scale model of the plane!
Thank You. Yes, I too remember that discussion.

While it is good that the VIP 777 model got attention from diecast manufacturers, I wish they had waited for a while before releasing the models.

It was obvious from day one that the VT-registrations on the two VIP 777s were temporary and they were going to get K-series IAF registrations. Recently both 777s have been spotted with K-7066 & K-7067 registrations( painted in Red on the Tail fin and wing undersides - following IAF VIP aircraft serial number conventions). VT-registrations are no longer there on the two 777s.

As of today, this Hogan model seems slightly inaccurate. JC Wings released the same model in 1:400 scale with the same inaccuracy but they made an even bigger error- no IAF roundels on the wings!!!! InFlight 200 has one in the works and I have been told that they will come out with a more accurate model (in terms of aircraft registration).
skanchan95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 11:18   #1503
BHPian

Due to Covid I have been stuck in my parents house for the last few months and this has given me the opportunity to dig through some old albums and also repair some of my old neglected models.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-whatsapp-image-20210528-5.28.51-pm.jpeg

I found this picture from almost 30 years ago, I have to admit as a 10-12 year old I had some decent modeling skills!

From left to right, 1:72 F-15 Eagle (this was a very complicated model for its size and it was confusing for me to put on probably close to 100 tiny decals), 1:72 Mig-29 Fulcrum and 1:48 F-16 Fighting Falcon(I think this is the first aircraft model I made bought for a princely sum of $4-5, first scale model I made was a Lamborghini Countach mistakenly bought because I thought it was fancy toy in a box!)

Surprisingly the 1:72 Mig-29 kit from 1988 is still available from many sellers on Ebay and even Amazon.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-screenshot-20210529-11.14.56-am.png

My 20 year old Flogger's landing gear, missiles and canopy have been repaired recently and apart from its broken pitot tube and lots of dust its ready for action.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-whatsapp-image-20210529-11.05.51-am.jpeg
Foxbat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 17:08   #1504
BHPian

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

1:200 Air India Boeing 747-237B Registration VT-EBO "Vikramaditya"
This aircraft was delivered new to Air India in 1972. After 18+ years of flying it was unfortunately written off in a landing accident in 1990 however there were no injuries.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-whatsapp-image-20210531-4.38.43-pm.jpeg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-whatsapp-image-20210531-4.38.43-pm-2.jpeg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-whatsapp-image-20210531-4.38.43-pm-1.jpeg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-whatsapp-image-20210531-4.38.42-pm-2.jpeg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-whatsapp-image-20210531-4.38.42-pm-1.jpeg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-whatsapp-image-20210531-4.38.44-pm-1.jpeg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-whatsapp-image-20210531-4.38.44-pm.jpeg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-whatsapp-image-20210531-4.38.42-pm.jpeg

The real Aircraft, coming in to land in Frankfurt in 1981.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-screenshot-20210531-4.58.25-pm.png

First Jumbo Jet Boeing 747 to land in Prague airport in 1972. The Emperor Vikramaditya VT-EBO of Air India. The aircraft was being flown on the route-Bombay-Abu Dhabi-Rome Prague-London New York by its captain S. Das and copilot H. Jeddy.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-screenshot-20210531-4.58.47-pm.png

I noticed in 1972 on the nose it was written "Emperor Vikramaditya" and in the picture from 1981 and on my model its just written "Vikramaditya".

Last edited by Foxbat : 31st May 2021 at 17:20.
Foxbat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 20:19   #1505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I found this picture from almost 30 years ago, I have to admit as a 10-12 year old I had some decent modeling skills
Decent? I would say exceptional skills you had and still have

Quote:
From left to right, 1:72 F-15 Eagle (this was a very complicated model for its size and it was confusing for me to put on probably close to 100 tiny decals), 1:72 Mig-29 Fulcrum and 1:48 F-16 Fighting Falcon(I think this is the first aircraft model I made bought for a princely sum of $4-5, first scale model I made was a Lamborghini Countach mistakenly bought because I thought it was fancy toy in a box!)
So our dear Foxbat once belonged to the Light Side .
Just Kidding, this just speaks volumes about your passion towards aviation in general and I really mean that. I wish I had that kind of skills and that kind of passion to build models like that at that age!!! Too good!

Quote:
My 20 year old Flogger's landing gear, missiles and canopy have been repaired recently and apart from its broken pitot tube and lots of dust its ready for action.
More pics!!!!

Quote:
1:200 Air India Boeing 747-237B Registration VT-EBO "Vikramaditya"
This aircraft was delivered new to Air India in 1972. After 18+ years of flying it was unfortunately written off in a landing accident in 1990 however there were no injuries.
Fantastic!!!! Congratulations on owning such a beauty of a model.
I also noticed that in Black & White pic, it has three windows on the upper deck, but in the colour pic, it has eight windows and "Emperor" is missing in the aircraft name. Would certainly like to know about that transformation/conversion someday

Last edited by skanchan95 : 31st May 2021 at 20:21.
Old 1st June 2021, 21:03   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
I noticed in 1972 on the nose it was written "Emperor Vikramaditya" and in the picture from 1981 and on my model its just written "Vikramaditya".
So from a bit of Googling I found out:

In August 1979, the Janata Party government of Charan Singh made one of their first acts in power an order to strike the word "Emperor" from the names of Air India's aircraft. A simultaneous order was given to replace English with Hindi titles on the port surface of the vertical fin. Prior to this, both surfaces of the vertical fin had English titles while the fuselage had Hindi titles on the starboard side and English on the port. "Krishna Deva Raya" was the first aircraft delivered under this new convention, while the other aircraft were repainted by the end of 1981.

Quote:
I also noticed that in Black & White pic, it has three windows on the upper deck, but in the colour pic, it has eight windows and "Emperor" is missing in the aircraft name. Would certainly like to know about that transformation/conversion someday
Thanks for the appreciation of my modeling skills but as they say pictures can be very misleading One example: I didn't have white paint from early 1990s till 2001-2 and I was using white out ink correction fluid as substitute. Made the surface super rough and uneven, but pics don't show that!

Regarding the increase in windows on VT-EBO I found out:

The first 5 747-200s delivered to Air India had upper deck lounges (no seats) and in a 3 window configuration. 4 (after the loss of the "Emperor Ashoka) were later sent back to Seattle for retrofitting, the 3-windowed hull of the upper deck was replaced with the more conventional one, with more windows and by the early 1980s the lounge replaced with business class seats.
Foxbat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 11:42   #1507
Senior - BHPian

1:72 MiG-29UB(GT) Fulcrum-B Red 4105,41st Aviation Sqn, 22nd Tactical Aviation Base, Polish Air Force - "Stanislaw Skalski" (JC Wings)

I had been on the lookout for a twin seat MiG-29 ever since I was stupid enough to let go of an opportunity to buy a gorgeous looking Malaysian MiG-29NUB long time ago. When this Polish MiG-29UB became available with DBJets, I did not want to let go of the opportunity again.

MiG-29UB Fulcrum-B
The MiG-29UB (Product 9.51) is twin seat trainer for the MiG-29 fighter. The trainee pilot sits in the front cockpit while the instructor sits in the rear cockpit. To avoid a major design and to ensure maximum commonality with the single seat variant, the Fire Control Radar was deleted, leaving on the IRST (Infra-Red sensor) and HMS(Helmet Mounted Sight); thus the radar guided R-27R medium range SARH AAM was excluded from the MiG-29UB's weapons range. It also retained the GSh-30 cannon from the single seat variant. It could carry IR guided missiles, rocket pods and bombs. Despite the lack of radar, the MiG-29UB retained dogfighting and strike capability, as the IRST could engage targets at 25-30 kms range, Special Emulators were fitted to allow the pilots to train on intercept techniques, using the radar, firing SARH missiles and dealing with system failures

The original production MiG-29 aircraft could not fire the cannon when carrying a centerline 1500L drop tank as it blocks the shell ejection port. This was corrected in the MiG-29S and later versions. This centerline drop tank was semi-conformal. The bulky drop tank also obstructed the APU exhaust, which was located between the engine nacelles. To correct this, MiG incorporated a unique feature - the tank had a straight through pipe at the rear enabling the APU to exhaust through it.

MiG-29UB Red 4105 History
As a tribute to the WW2 Polish fighter Ace, Stanislaw Skalski, Polish Air Force’s MiG-29UB fighter-trainer 4105 had its tail fins featuring the Polish flying ace's photos and name.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-sski_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-sski_2.jpg

Stanisław Skalski, DSO, DFC & Two Bars (27 November 1915 – 12 November 2004) was a WW2 Polish fighter ace who served with the Polish Air Force and British Royal Air Force during the Second World War. Skalski was the top Polish fighter ace of the war and chronologically the first Allied fighter ace of the war, credited with 18 victories and two probable.

41st Aviation Squadron of the Polish Air Force operated 18 MiG-29G and 4 MiG-29GTs. These MiG-29s were ex-Luftwaffe MiG-29s that were donated to Poland by Germany in 2003. Before re-unification of Germany, these MiG-29s were operated by the LSK(Luftstreitkräfte der Nationalen Volksarmee/ East German Air Force). After reunification of Germany in October 1990, the MiG-29s and other aircraft of the East German Air Force were integrated into the West German Luftwaffe. East German MiG-29A/UB were upgraded to NATO standards and re-designated as MiG-29G/GT. In September 2003, 22 of the 23 remaining Luftwaffe MiG-29G/GTs were sold to the Polish Air Force for the symbolic price of €1 per item.

Polish AF MiG-29UB "4105" is the ex-Luftwaffe MiG-29GT "29+24" which in turn was the ex-LSK MiG-29UB "181".
As Polish AF 4105
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-mig29ub_4105.jpg

As Luftwaffe 29+24
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-mig29ub_2924.jpg

As LSK 181
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-mig29ub_preschen_22925448266.jpg

The Model:
Comes armed with a centerline drop tank. 4X R-60MKs & 2 R-27Rs(which is inaccurate for the model). No. 358 of 600.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m29_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m29_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m29_2_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m29_2_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m29_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m29_3_1.jpg

Cannon Port that houses the GSh-30 cannon visible
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m29_4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m29_5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m29_6.jpg

Airbrake deployed
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m29_7.jpg

The MiG-29UB does not have the fin extensions seen on single seat MiG-29s that contains chaff/flare cartridges
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m29_8.jpg

The model comes with attachments for engine intake cover in "Closed" Position. In such a configuration, the MiG-29's overwing louvres open allowing the engine to suck in air. The landing lights are also modelled in remarkable attention to detail!!!
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m29_9.jpg

Intake Door covers "removed", revealing the engine fan blades
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m29_10.jpg

If one looks closely at the 22 BLT's(Baza Lotnicza - Air Base in Polish) logo painted on the aircraft, one can easily make out a MiG-29 in the shape of an R-27R.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m29_11.jpg

Comparison between the twin seat Flanker and Fulcrum
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m29_su_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m29_su_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m29_su_2_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m29_su_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m29_su_4.jpg

Last edited by skanchan95 : 9th June 2021 at 11:49.
skanchan95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 12:16   #1508
Senior - BHPian

1:43 BMP-2D IFV
The BMP-2 (Boyevaya Mashina Pekhoty, Russian: Боевая Машина Пехоты, literally "infantry combat vehicle") is a second-generation, amphibious Infantry Fighting Vehicle introduced in the 1980s in the Soviet Union, following on from the BMP-1 of the 1960s.

An IFV is an Armoured fighting vehicle used to carry infantry(soldiers) into battle and provide direct-fire support. The 1990 Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe defines an infantry fighting vehicle as "an armoured combat vehicle which is designed and equipped primarily to transport a combat infantry squad, and which is armed with an integral or organic cannon of at least 20 millimeters calibre and sometimes an antitank missile launcher". IFVs often serve both as the principal weapons system and as the mode of transport for a mechanized infantry unit.

Infantry fighting vehicles are distinct from armored personnel carriers(APCs), which are transport vehicles armed only for self-defense and not specifically engineered to fight on their own. IFVs are designed to be more mobile than tanks and are equipped with a rapid-firing autocannon or a large conventional gun; they may include side ports for infantrymen to fire their personal weapons while on board.

The IFV rapidly gained popularity with armies worldwide due to a demand for vehicles with high firepower that were less expensive and easier to maintain than tanks. Nevertheless, it did not supersede the APC concept altogether, due to the latter's continued usefulness in specialized roles. Some armies continue to maintain fleets of both IFVs and APCs.

Examples of well known IFVs from the Russian Side are BMP-1, BMP-2, BMP-3 etc and from the Western side are M2 Bradley, Stryker etc.

BMP-2 Specifications
Type : Infantry Fighting Vehicle
Place of origin : Soviet Union
Manufacturer : Kurganmashzavod

Specifications:
Mass 14.3 tonnes (15.8 short tons; 14.1 long tons)
Length 6.735 metres (22 ft 1.2 in)
Width 3.15 metres (10 ft 4 in)
Height 2.45 metres (8 ft 0 in)

Crew : 3 (Commander, Gunner & Driver + 7 passengers)
Armor : 33 millimetres (1.3 in) (max)[1]
Main Armament : Turret with 30 mm autocannon 2A42 and 9M113 Konkurs ATGM or B05Ya01 Berezhok turret with 2A42 30mm autocannon, PKMT 7.62mm coaxial machine gun, AGS-30 grenade launcher, and 9M133M Kornet-M ATGM
Secondary Armament : 7.62 mm machine gun (PKTM)
Engine : Diesel UTD-20/3 300 hp (225 kW)
Power/weight : 21 hp/tonne
Suspension : torsion bar
Operational Range : 600 km (370 mi)
Maximum speed :
65 km/h (40 mph) (road)
45 km/h (28 mph) (off-road)
7 km/h (4.3 mph) (water)

Indian Army & the BMP-2 "Sarath"
Having operated BMP-1s, 700 BMP-2 "Sarath" were ordered in 1984 from the Soviet Union and delivered between 1987 and 1991 (most produced in India under license).123 BMP-2K(Command variant) ordered in 2006 from Russia and delivered between 2007 and 2008. In May 2013, the Indian Army decided to upgrade all BMP-2/2K vehicles to BMP-2M standard. In Oct 2014 government of India gave nod to produce 362 more BMP-2 Saraths. On June 2, 2020, India's Ministry of Defence announced placement of an order of 156 BMP-2 Sarath vehicles .

Indian BMP-2s were deployed to Ladakh recently alongside T-72s and T-90s during the faceoff with the PLA.

The Model
It is in 1:43 scale - a very odd scale for military armour models, which generally are in the 1:35 and 1:72 scale. However, that being said, the model is highly detailed and quite big. The turret and track are mostly high grade plastic while the rest is metal.

The model is that of a BMP-2D, which is not a BMP-2 variant that the Indian Army operates. The BMP-2D is fitted with additional spaced type steel applique armour on the hull sides, under the driver's and commander's stations, and 6 mm thick appliqué armour on the turret. Due to the added weight, the vehicle is no longer amphibious. It also has provision for mounting a mine clearing system under the nose of the vehicle. In service since 1982, it saw service during Soviet–Afghan War. Indian BMP-2s do not have the additional armour on the sides.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp2_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp2_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp2_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp2_4.jpg

Behind the turret is the troop compartment that holds six troops, a seventh sits just behind the driver. The troops sit back to back, along the center of the vehicle. Down each side of the compartment are three firing ports with periscopes. Access to the compartment is by the two rear doors, which also hold fuel tanks, both doors have integral periscopes and the left door has a firing port.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp2_5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp2_dismount.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp2_6.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp2_7.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp2_8.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp2_9.jpg

In the turret, The commander sits with the gunner in an enlarged, two-man turret. The turret also houses the Shipunov 2A42 30 mm autocannon(the same cannon is used on the Mi-28 & Ka-50/52 attack helicopters) and the 9P135M ATGM launcher capable of firing SACLOS guided 9M111 "Fagot" (AT-4 Spigot), 9M113 "Konkurs" (AT-5 Spandrel) and 9M113M "Konkurs-M" (AT-5B Spandrel B) anti-tank missiles. Smoke grenade launchers can also be been on the sides.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp2_10.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp2_11.jpg

Actual BMP-2D- pic is that of the same model
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp2d.jpg

Indian Army BMP-2s (mostly BMP-2Ks) in Ladakh
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp2_ladakh.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp2_ladakh1.jpg

Last edited by skanchan95 : 11th June 2021 at 12:22.
Old 12th June 2021, 11:30   #1509
Senior - BHPian

1:43 T-90A "Vladimir" Main Battle Tank, Russian Army
The T-90 is a third-generation Russian main battle tank that entered service in 1993. The tank is a modern variation of the T-72B and incorporates many features found on the T-80U. It was originally called the T-72BU, but later renamed to T-90.T-90s are currently in service with armies of Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, India, Iraq, Russia, Syria, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Vietnam and Yemen.

The T-90 uses a 125 mm 2A46 smoothbore main gun, the 1A45T fire-control system, an upgraded engine, and gunner's thermal sight. Standard protective measures include a blend of steel and composite armour, smoke grenade dischargers, Kontakt-5 explosive-reactive armour and the Shtora infrared ATGM jamming system. It was designed and built by Uralvagonzavod, in Nizhny Tagil, Russia.

The T-90A is the Russian army version with welded turret, 1000hp V-92S2 engine and ESSA thermal viewer. Sometimes called T-90 Vladimir, in honor of its chief designer Vladimir Potkin.

The original T-90s used to come with a cast turret and some early Indian Army T-90s were delivered with the cast turret. Later T-90s started coming with a welded turret . The picture below show the dramatic changes in shape of the T-90 turret - from the cast turret of the original T-90 to the welded turret of the T-90A/S to the enlarged turret of the T-90AM/MS.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-t90_turret.jpg

The T-90 & India
In many ways, the T-90A/S, just the Su-30MKI & MiG-29K, owes it success and development continuity to India!!! In the early 90s, Russian Army orders for the T-90 had dried up and declined to zero. India was the first export customer for the T-90S. In the 1990s, when Pakistan was close to acquiring improved T-80U tanks from Ukraine, India signalled interest to the buy the T-90 ( having earlier conducted trials of the T-80 & T-72S).

The first 42 complete Indian tanks were delivered in 2001 and were designated T-90S (Object 188S), still equipped with the older cast turrets of the early T-90 series (this exhausted the remaining stocks of cast turrets warehoused at Nizhny Tagil) and powered by the V-84 engine making 840 hp (618 kW). This was followed up next year with delivery of 82 vehicles, now equipped with the new welded turrets and the V-92S2 engine, generating 1,000 hp (735 kW).

The initial contract stipulated the following batch of 186 tanks—now officially called the Bhishma—to be completed in India from Russian-supplied kits, and then gradually replaced with domestically manufactured parts, but the low rate of domestic Indian production compelled the Indian authorities to place an additional order for 124 complete vehicles in 2007 from Uralvagonzavod.

The Indian Army was already operating the T-72 and was it was being manufactured locally under license as the T-72 Ajeya. Indian Army had conducted trials of the T-80 and modernized T-72S in 1993, but concluded that neither was a significant improvement over the locally manufactured T-72 Ajeya. The Army was increasingly concerned about losing its Armoured edge over Pakistan army, after Pakistan signed a deal with Ukraine to supply T-80UD tanks including guided projectiles. The Army was fully aware of the T-80's advantages and needed something to counter the new threat from Pakistan.

Following the T-90S's debut at IDEX 97, India approached Russia about a potential purchase and license manufacture of the T-90S. However, India set pre-conditions linked to the T-80UD's features- that the T-90S should have an engine of atleast 1000hp, a thermal imaging sight and a ability to fire guided projectiles. In 1998, a preliminary understanding was agreed upon for purchase of around 300 T-90S tanks with the condition that they were successfully demonstrated at Indian trials.To meet the Indian requirement, the T-90S was fitted with the Chekyabinsk V-92S2 1000-bhp diesel engine( the standard Russian T-90 was powered by a 840bhp diesel engine), thermal imaging sights and a new projectile was offered and demonstrated . Eventhough the trails were largely successful, it uncovered issues with engine overheating during desert trials, but immediate remedies were offered. In the year 2000, the Indian govt gave the go ahead to purchase 310 T-90S tanks. Under the contract, 124 tanks wer to be imported directly from Russia and 186 were to assembled in India from CKDs supplied by Russia, at Avadi Heavy Vehicle Factory in India , that was already manufacturing the T-72. The Indian Army named the T-90S "Bhishma". Another 347 T-90S were acquired directly from Russia because of delays in the indigenous Arjun tank. In 2006, it was announced that India would be manufacturing 1000 T-90 tanks in India at Avadi. In 2016, it was announced that India could be the first client for the heavily modernized T-90MS.The T-90MS ie being license manufactured in India as a part of the original 1000 T-90 license production programme. The T-90MS has a completely different turret compared to the T-90S.

The definitive Indian T-90S was to become the basis for a Russian T-90A. In 2005 the Russian army resumed delivery of the T-90, requesting the "original" specification for the vehicle with a cast turret. But with the new order numbering a paltry 14 tanks, and the large capital investment required to set up production of new cast turrets, the Russian Ministry of Defence agreed on a new configuration very close to the Indian T-90S, which was expeditiously accepted into service without any trials as the Object 188A1 or T-90A.That same year saw delivery of an additional 18 new tanks - enough to equip approximately five tank platoons. These new Russian tanks were powered by the V-92S2 engine, carried a T01-K05 Buran-M gunner's sight (passive-active night-vision channel with an EPM-59G Mirage-K matrix and a maximum observation distance of 1,800 m) and were protected by the most recent Kontakt-5 reactive armor with 4S22 explosive tiles.

T-90A Specifications
Type : Main battle tank
Place of origin : Russia

Specifications:
Mass : 46.5 tonnes (45.8 long tons; 51.3 short tons)
Length 9.63 m (31 ft 7 in) 6.86 m (22 ft 6 in) (hull)
Width 3.78 m (12 ft 5 in)
Height 2.22 m (7 ft 3 in)
Crew : 3
Armor : Steel-composite-reactive blend APFSDS: 550 mm + 250–280 mm with Kontakt-5 = 800–830 mm HEAT: 650–850 mm + 500–700 mm with Kontakt-5 = 1,150–1,550 mm

Main Armament: 2A46M-2 125 mm smoothbore gun with 42 rounds (T-90A)

Secondary Armament : 12.7mm Kord Heavy machine gun, 7.62mm PKMT

Engine : V-92S2 12-cyl. diesel, 1000 hp (736 kW) for V-92S2 12-cyl. diesel engine

Power/weight : 21.5hp/tonne (15 kW/tonne)
Suspension : Torsion bar, hydropneumatic suspension for T-90MS
Operational Range : 550 km (340 mi) (without fuel drums)
Maximum speed : 60 km/h (37 mph)

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-t90_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-t90_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-t90_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-t90_4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-t90_5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-t90_6.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-t90_7.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-t90_7_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-t90_8.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-t90_9.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-t90_10.jpg

Russian Guards badges on the turret. Note the two "eyes" on either side of the main gun. Those things are the infrared jammers. They turn red and make the tanks look really scary, especially at night. These things are part of the Shtora-1 active protection system, which disrupts laser rangefinders of guided anti-tank missiles. The system uses two interface stations each mounted on the side of the gun, which gives it the “two eyes” look.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-t90_10_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-t90_11.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-t90_12.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-t90_13.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-t90_14.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-2013_moscow_victory_day_parade_28.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-t90_ds_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-t90_ds_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-t90_ds_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-t90_ds_4.jpg

With the smaller 1:72 T-90S:
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-t90_scale_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-t90_scale_2.jpg

T-90A with BMP-2 (same scales - 1:43)
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ar_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ar_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ar_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ar_4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ar_5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ar_6.jpg

Last edited by skanchan95 : 12th June 2021 at 11:42.
Old 12th June 2021, 11:38   #1510
BHPian

Quote:
1:72 MiG-29UB(GT) Fulcrum-B Red 4105,41st Aviation Sqn, 22nd Tactical Aviation Base, Polish Air Force - "Stanislaw Skalski" (JC Wings)
It's raining Fulrcums on this thread I think in quick succession we have seen 3 1:72 Mig-29s. I also remember long ago you had posted a 1:100 Mig-29.

The original Mig-29 is similar in size to a F-15 although its more equivalent to a F-16 in terms of role and capability.

In my opinion Polish Mig-29s have one of the best liveries found on the aircraft.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-01.jpeg

They also put striking liveries on many of their other aircraft.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_3023_polish_su22um_radom_day1_900.jpeg
Foxbat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 12:08   #1511
Senior - BHPian

1:43 BMP-1 "163" Soviet Airborne Forces
The BMP-1 was the predecessor of the earlier posted BMP-2 IFV(Infantry Fighting Vehicle)

The BMP-1 [Boyevaya Mashina Pekhoty 1 (Russian: Боевая Машина Пехоты 1; БМП-1), meaning "Infantry Fighting Vehicle, 1st serial model"] was first built in the early 1960s and seen in public in November 1967 at a Red Square parade. The BMP represented an important shift from the concept of an armored personnel carrier to an armored infantry combat vehicle, combining high mobility, effective anti-tank weapons, and armored protection for carrying troops. The BMP is significantly smaller than Western APCs and has considerably greater firepower. The BMP-1 was innovative in that it allowed the infantry being carried to fire their personal weapons from within the vehicle whilst remaining protected by armour. To do this firing ports and vision devices were provided for each infantry soldier. Thus the BMP became the first Infantry Combat Vehicle. The BMP-1 carrys a crew of three to eight.

The BMP-1 carries a 73mm, 2A20 "Grom" gun with maximum rounds of 40 and maximum range of over 7,000 ft. Its 73-mm main gun fires a rocket-assisted, fin- stabilized HEAT projectile with an effective range of 800 meters medium (capable of successfully engaging tanks at ranges up to 1,300 meters) and is equipped with an automatic loader. The main armament of the BMP1 is unusual, in that it fires the same ammunition as the RPG-7 infantry rocket propelled grenade launcher. A coaxial 7.62 mm PKT machine gun is mounted to the right of the main armament. A launching rail for the AT-3 Sagger antitank guided missile is located above the gun for longer range antitank capability (up to 3,000 meters).

A centrally located, extremely flat, truncated cone turret mounts a 73-mm smoothbore gun and a 7.62-mm coaxial machine gun. A launching rail for SAGGER missiles is attached above the gun. The 290 hp, water-cooled, 6- cylinder diesel engine is located at the right front, while the driver's hatch is at the left front, directly in front of the commander's hatch which mounts an IR searchlight. The gunner's hatch is on the left side of the low turret roof. To the rear of the turret there are four large hatches in the roof of the troop compartment, as well as two large exit doors in the rear. There are four firing ports in each side of the troop compartment and one in the left rear door.

The BMP is amphibious, propelled through water by its tracks rather than using the waterjet propulsion of amphibious tanks like the PT-76, and has the range and speed necessary to keep up with the fast-moving tanks it normally follows in offensive formations.

The BMP has a three-man crew, including the vehicle commander, who becomes the squad leader when the infantry passengers dismount through the rear exit doors. However, vision blocks and firing ports in the sides and rear of the troop compartment allow the infantrymen to fire assault rifles (AKM or AK-74) and light machine guns (PKM or RPK-74) from inside the vehicle on the move. The troops also carry the RPG-7 or RPG-16 AT grenade launcher and the SA-7/ GRAIL or SA-14 SAM, either of which can be fired by a passenger standing in a rear hatch. When buttoned up, crew and passengers have NBC protection in the pressurized and filtered hull, which allows them to operate regardless of the outside environment.

The BMP-1 was first tested in combat in the 1973 Yom Kippur War, where it was used by Egyptian and Syrian forces. Based on lessons learned from this conflict, and early experiences in the Soviet–Afghan War, a version with improved fighting qualities was developed, called the BMP-2.

BMP-1 & Indian Connection
India produced a licensed copy of the BMP-1 and the Indian Army had 600+ BMP-1s in service. The Indian version differs from the basic model, having a slightly altered turret design.

Indian BMP-1s, as part of the IPKF(Indian Peace Keeping Force) contingent, participated in a difficult operation against LTTLE rebels in Sri Lanka in October 1987 (Operation Pawan), when IAF transport aircraft flew 2,000+ sorties, delivering T-72 MBTs, BMP-1s and other equipment for Indian Army units which were not equipped with heavy weapons initially. This had been the plan in order to minimize civilian losses and damage done in Jaffna. In some areas anti-personnel mines planted by the LTTLE were countered by driving BMP-1s and T-72 MBTs over them. AFVs were used as support during attacks on enemy positions. An IPKF BMP-1 of the 72nd infantry brigade with Colonel D.S. Saraon and nine soldiers aboard hit a mine which resulted in their deaths.
An IPKF mechanised infantry section dismounts from a BMP-1 ICV during the Sri Lankan conflict.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-srilanka.jpg

Indian BMP-1 also took part in Indian UN operations.

The BMP-1s were eventually withdrawn from Indian service and replaced by BMP-2s.

BMP-1 troop compartment (Polish-modified):
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-mspo2004_pict0103_bwp1_rcws30.jpg

Two Bulgarian Army soldiers man the driver's and gunner's stations, while a US Army soldier occupies the commander's position of a Bulgarian BMP-1 IFV.:
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-us_soldier_in_bulgarian_bmp1.jpg

BMP-1 Specifications
Type : Infantry fighting vehicle
Designer : Pavel Isakov
Manufacturer : Kurganmashzavod (Soviet Union), ZTS Detva (Czechoslovakia)

Mass : 13.2 tonnes (13.0 long tons; 14.6 short tons)
Length : 6.735 m (22 ft 1.2 in)
Width : 2.94 m (9 ft 8 in)
Height : 2.068 m (6 ft 9.4 in)

Crew : 3 (commander, driver and gunner) + 8 passengers
Armor : 6–33 mm (0.24–1.30 in) welded rolled steel

Main Armament : 73 mm 2A28 Grom low pressure smoothbore short-recoil semi-automatic gun (40 rounds) with ATGM launcher for 9M14 Malyutka (4 rounds) or other turrets with 2A42 or 2A72 autocannons
Secondary Armament : 7.62 mm PKT coaxial machinegun (2,000 rounds)

Engine : UTD-20, 6-cylinder 4-stroke V-shaped airless-injection water-cooled multifuel 15.8 liter diesel 300 hp (224 kW) at 2,600 rpm
Power/weight :22.7 hp/tonne (17.0 kW/tonne)
Suspension : Individual torsion bar with hydraulic shock absorbers on the 1st and 6th road wheels
Ground clearance : 370 mm (15 in)
Fuel Capacity : 462L (102 imp gal; 122 US gal)

Operational Range :
600 km (370 mi) road
500 km (310 mi) off-road

Maximum speed:
65 km/h (40 mph) road
45 km/h (28 mph) off-road
7–8 km/h (4.3–5.0 mph) water

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp_11.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp_12.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp_13.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp_14.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp_15.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp_16.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp_17.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp_18.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmp_19.jpg

Comparing a BMP-1 with BMP-2.
The BMP-2 is broadly similar to the BMP-1. The most significant changes in the BMP-2 over BMP-1 are:
*The commander now sits with the gunner in an enlarged, two-man turret.
*Armament changed to the 2A42 30 mm autocannon and the 9P135M ATGM launcher capable of firing *SACLOS guided 9M111 "Fagot" (AT-4 Spigot), 9M113 "Konkurs" (AT-5 Spandrel) and 9M113M "Konkurs-M" (AT-5B Spandrel B) anti-tank missiles.
*Only seven troops can be carried instead of eight.
*Two rear infantry roof hatches instead of four.
*Slightly improved armour.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmpd1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmpd2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmpd3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bmpd4.jpg

Vietnamese Army BMP-1
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-vietnamese_bmp1.jpg

East German Army BMP-1, with troops standing out of the top hatches in the rear Infantry compartment
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-bundesarchiv_bild_18319881007009_berlin_39._jahrestag_ddrgrndung_parade.jpg

Last edited by skanchan95 : 19th June 2021 at 12:15.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 12:11   #1512
Senior - BHPian

Let's Roll Out!!!
1:43 T-90 leads a BMP-1 & BMP-2, Mechanized Infantry supported by Armor.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-letsroll_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-letsroll_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-letsroll_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-letsroll_4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-letsroll_5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-letsroll_6.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-letsroll_7.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-letsroll_8.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-letsroll_9.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-letsroll_10.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-letsroll_11.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-letsroll_12.jpg
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 09:51   #1513
Senior - BHPian

1:110 BAe Hawk T1A Red Arrows Aerobatic Team, RAF (Corgi)
The BAE Systems Hawk is a British single-engine, jet-powered Advanced Jet Trainer (AJT) aircraft. It was first flown at Dunsfold, Surrey, in 1974 as the Hawker Siddley Hawk, and subsequently produced by its successor companies, British Aerospace and BAE Systems. It has been used in a training capacity and as a low-cost combat aircraft.

Operators of the Hawk include the Royal Air Force (notably the Red Arrows display team) and a considerable number of foreign military operators(T1, T2). The Hawk is still in production in the UK and under license in India by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), with over 900 Hawks sold to 18 operators around the world.

HAWK T1/1A Specifications
Crew : 2
Span : 9.39m
Height: 3.99m
Length: 11.96m
Weight (Empty): 3,647kg
Max Take Off Weight: 8,569kg
Combat Radius: 556 km/345 miles
Max Speed: 622mph/1,000kph at sea level
Engine: 1 x Rolls Royce/Turbomeca Adour Mk 151 turbofan
Armament (T1): 1 x 30mm Aden cannon pack, Up to 5,600lb/2,540kg of under-wing stores for rockets, bombs and missiles
Armament (T1A): In addition has inboard pylons for Sidewinder AIM-9 AAM

The Indian Hawk Saga
The Hawk T1 was short-listed for purchase along with the Alpha Jet of Dassault Aviation of France in the mid-1980s as part of the Advanced Jet Trainer requirement. Dassault has since stopped the production of the Alpha Jet. The decision to acquire the AJTs was expedited by the spate of crashes involving IAF fighters. The IAF had been demanding AJTs for a long time. As a stop-gap measure, it brought 27 second-hand MiG-21 trainers.

A variety of factors prevented successive governments from negotiating an AJT deal; the price was one of them. The government was also keen to diversify its purchases. It wanted(still does) to use defence purchases for political leverage, with US, France & UK.

Another reason of the delay was that the Hawk had American made components in the Hawk. British Aerospace was unable to acquire export licenses for many of the Hawk's components from manufacturers in the U.S. The sanctions regime against India following the 1998 Pokhran nuclear tests imposed by the U.S and the U.K. were removed in the early 2000s

The Hawk saga kept getting dragged (just like the MMRCA circus of the late 2000s) till the much delayed deal for the purchase of AJTs for the IAF finally materialized in 2003. The govt took the decision to purchase 66 British-made Hawk AJTs( the Mk.132 - a more advanced, slightly different looking & modern variant of the original Hawk T1 that was initially offered to the IAF). The Hawk was the front-runner for a long time although Czech and Russian companies also entered the fray to win the lucrative contract. Russia was willing to sell its MiG-AT trainer jet at a more competitive price. Also in competition were the Czech-American firm Aero Vodochody's L-159B, the Italian manufacturer Aeromacchi's MB-339 and the Brazilian Embraer's AMX-T.

The IAF & IN Hawks are the Mk.132 variant, which is an export variant of the RAF's Hawk T2(Mk.128). HAL handed over the first locally-built Hawk 132 in 2008. The IAF's display team - Surya Kiran too fly the Hawk Mk. 132

The Red Arrows
The Red Arrows, officially known as the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team, is the aerobatics display team of the Royal Air Force based at RAF Scampton. The team was formed in late 1964 on the Gnat T.1, replacing a number of unofficial teams that had been sponsored by RAF commands. The Red Arrows retired their Gnats in 1979 and converted to the BAE Hawk T1, which they fly till date. The Hawks are modified with an uprated engine and a modification to enable smoke to be generated; diesel is mixed with a coloured dye and ejected into the jet exhaust to produce either red, white or blue smoke.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-2541200x640.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-hawk_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-hawk_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-hawk_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-hawk_4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-hawk_5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-hawk_6.jpg
Old 27th June 2021, 01:17   #1514
Senior - BHPian

Obviously, the title and some of the content is controversial and there is a disclaimer within the video as well. The scale model part starts around the 30 min mark.

On a related note, which are all the good/modern aircraft museums in India? I know there is the HAL museum in Bangalore is one.
Old 30th June 2021, 21:44   #1515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Obviously, the title and some of the content is controversial and there is a disclaimer within the video as well. The scale model part starts around the 30 min mark.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=IQbfXyWxgFk

On a related note, which are all the good/modern aircraft museums in India? I know there is the HAL museum in Bangalore is one.
There is the Indian Air Force Museum in New Delhi:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian..._Museum,_Palam

Naval Aviation Museum in Goa:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_...Museum_(India)

I have visited both of them and also the HAL museum in Bangalore, unfortunately none are maintained as well as the one in the Video in Pakistan.
Not sure why we don't maintain high standards given the vastly more resources we have.
Foxbat is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks