Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2021, 14:47   #1546
BHPian

Re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post

I made use of an acrylic case that had come with a Portronics wireless mouse. Was about to throw in the dustbin when my wife had a brainwave and suggested me to use it as a display case for the smaller 1:200 fighter models. The IAF Flanker fits perfectly!!!
This is absolutely brilliant. I really want a bigger one for my 1/72 models. The print out of the runway looks very realistic, never would think its a print out.

Quote:
1:72 F-14A Tomcat 3-6045 Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force TFB 8(Khatami AB), Iran, 2003 (JC Wings)
Its raining Tomcats Congratulations for this exotic acquisition, the only country flying F-14s now is ironically Iran. Looks majestic in front of the all grey schemes of the US Navy. This is the first build model I have seen which has weathering effects.

A photoshoot with all your F-14s is needed.
Foxbat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 10:48   #1547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
This is absolutely brilliant. I really want a bigger one for my 1/72 models. The print out of the runway looks very realistic, never would think its a print out.
Thank You. It was printed at Best quality settings and ironically the rough/poor quality of the paper itself made the runway texture even more realistic.

For an acrylic case, you will have to catch of hold of some memento/trophy store in your area.

Quote:
Its raining Tomcats Congratulations for this exotic acquisition, the only country flying F-14s now is ironically Iran. Looks majestic in front of the all grey schemes of the US Navy. This is the first build model I have seen which has weathering effects.
JC does little to moderate amount of weathering on most of their Tomcat releases. But on this IRIAF Tomcat, it is brilliant. Weathering on an exotic paint scheme like Iran's makes it even more eye-catching.

1:72 Calibre Wings "Ocean Low Pass" Diorama base
This is a brilliant idea by Calibre Wings. The painted resin display base includes a clear acrylic "stand" to support the model. The stand neck has a white plastic cap that supports the model (between the engine tunnels and keys into the centerline slots provided for the AIM-7/AIM-54 missiles). The Model sits on this white cap. Separate ball of cotton wool with bendable metal wires has been provided which can be shaped and positioned to convincingly represent water spray being kicked up by the aircraft while flying very low over the Ocean surface.

My Calibre F-14 model sits perfectly stable on the platform. I tried to mount my HM F-14 on it. It stays still on it somewhat, but seems little nervous. A little sanding of the cap or a custom made cap is needed to make the HM F-14 sit reasonably stable on the base. I did not have the guts to mount the JC F-14 because attachments would start falling off even at the slightest shock of adjusting the model on the base.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-op_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-op_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-op_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-op_4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-op_5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-op_6.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-op_7.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-op_8.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-op_9.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-op_10.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-op_11.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-op_12.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-op_13.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-op_14.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-op_15.jpg

I suppose I need to play around with the cotton wool a bit more to make it even more realistic
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-op_16.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-op_17.jpg

Wingman
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-op_wg_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-op_wg_2.jpg
skanchan95 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 16:01   #1548
BHPian

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

The Mikoyan MiG-27 (Russian: Микоян МиГ-27; NATO reporting name: Flogger-D/J) is a variable-sweep ground-attack aircraft, originally built by the Mikoyan-Gurevich design bureau in the Soviet Union and later licence-produced in India by Hindustan Aeronautics as the Bahadur ("Valiant"). It is based on the Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-23 fighter aircraft, but optimised for air-to-ground attack. Unlike the MiG-23, the MiG-27 did not have widespread use outside Russia, as most countries opted for the Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-23BN and Sukhoi Su-22 instead. It remains in service only with the Kazakh Air Forces in the ground attack role. All Russian, Indian and Ukrainian MiG-27s have been retired.

The MiG-27 shares the basic airframe of the MiG-23, but with a revised nose – nicknamed "Utkonos" ("Platypus") in Russian service, first introduced on the MiG-23B. Dissatisfaction with the MiG-23BN led to the further development of the basic airframe to accommodate a stronger undercarriage, simpler intakes and a shorter exhaust nozzle,without radar in favor of a downward-sloping profile for improved pilot visibility,a laser rangefinder and marked-target seeker. Among its test pilots, it was also called "Balkon" ("Balcony") because of the increased frontal view from the cockpit. Additional cockpit armor was installed, along with a totally new nav/attack system.

Since the MiG-27 was intended to fly most of its missions at low altitude, the MiG-23's variable intake ramps and exhaust nozzles were discarded in favor of a simpler fixed configuration, reducing weight and maintenance requirements. The aircraft also has larger, heavy-duty landing gear to facilitate operation from poorer-quality airfields. In accordance with the MiG-27's strike and low-level attack requirements, provisions were made to mount missiles and precision-guided munitions, as well as retaining a nuclear capability in line with other Soviet combat aircraft by introducing specialized navigation systems.

Commissioned into the Indian Air Force in 1985, the MiG-27 remained an integral part of the Indian Air Force's combat strength. It was due to the jet's heroics during the Kargil war that the aircraft earned the nickname "bahadur" from Air Force pilots.

On December 27, the Indian Air Force retired its fleet of MiG-27s. The 29 Squadron, known as the Scorpios, flew the aircraft into the sunset at the IAF’s Jodhpur base.

1/72 Scale Indian Air Force Mig-27ML "Bahadur" Serial TS 601

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20210824_084949268.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20210824_085004710.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20210824_084938640.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20210824_085027730.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20210824_085135922.jpg

A pair of very weathered IAF Mig-27MLs.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m2pd2feh1z861.jpeg
Foxbat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 18:01   #1549
BHPian

Quote:
Commissioned into the Indian Air Force in 1985, the MiG-27 remained an integral part of the Indian Air Force's combat strength. It was due to the jet's heroics during the Kargil war that the aircraft earned the nickname "bahadur" from Air Force pilots.

On December 27, the Indian Air Force retired its fleet of MiG-27s. The 29 Squadron, known as the Scorpios, flew the aircraft into the sunset at the IAF’s Jodhpur base.
Awesome one, where did you source this from.
Old 24th August 2021, 19:09   #1550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Awesome one, where did you source this from.
It's from a very basic plastic kit I ordered through ebay from Russia. I made it an IAF version by painting, adding decals, weapons and parts from other kits or scratch building myself.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20210824_085454216.jpg
Foxbat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 07:53   #1551
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Mikoyan MiG-27 (Russian: Микоян МиГ-27; NATO reporting name: Flogger-D/J) is a variable-sweep ground-attack aircraft, originally built by the Mikoyan-Gurevich design bureau in the Soviet Union and later licence-produced in India by Hindustan Aeronautics as the Bahadur ("Valiant"). It is based on the Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-23 fighter aircraft, but optimised for air-to-ground attack.
OMG!!! This has to be absolutely the best make it yourself-paint it yourself model of all the ones you made recently.I'm in love with it. A MiG-27 with IAF roundels has for long been my dream. A HobbyMaster one would suit the yearning perfectly. But alas, alas, alas. Of all Soviet aircraft of the cold war the MiG-27 was the most reliable in terms of availability and set records of uptime in the old Soviet Air Forces. Foxbat you will be pleased to know that all my digital passwords are based on MiGs:-) Oooops!

It is a pity the USSR collapsed when it did or else the MiG-27 would have served the IAF in numbers exceeding 400 or 500. Mig-27 forever.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 12:00   #1552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
OMG!!! This has to be absolutely the best make it yourself-paint it yourself model of all the ones you made recently.I'm in love with it.
Thanks, yes it has come out way better than expected for a low end $10 kit. I have added a lot of parts from other kits which has greatly enhanced it details.

Quote:
Foxbat you will be pleased to know that all my digital passwords are based on MiGs:-) Oooops!
Haha another coincidence All my digital passwords are based on Migs, Sukhois and one Tupolev. Including one account which was created 25 years ago and is still in use and password remains unchanged!
Foxbat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 10:44   #1553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Mikoyan MiG-27 (Russian: Микоян МиГ-27; NATO reporting name: Flogger-D/J) is a variable-sweep ground-attack aircraft, originally built by the Mikoyan-Gurevich design bureau in the Soviet Union and later licence-produced in India by Hindustan Aeronautics as the Bahadur ("Valiant").
Bravo!!!! Another outstanding build by you. Really liked the subtle weathering and the choice of weapons - KH-29s, B-8 Rocket Pods & bombs. The aircraft serial no. numeral the nose gear door & on the KH-29s is a touch of class!!! Minor, but important detailing of things like these on a model is always treat to watch. Well Done!!!

Quote:
OMG!!! T Foxbat you will be pleased to know that all my digital passwords are based on MiGs:-) Oooops!
Quote:

Haha another coincidence!
When free e-mail servers like yahoo, hotmail first came at the fag end of the last century or early 2000, and having your own e-mail address was a considered proud achievement, I made all sorts of geeky user names on yahoo, hotmail (writing this makes me feel like a dinosaur!!!!) - sandesh_f22 raptor, f18_hornet etc. Being quite young, I thought it was cool at the time but it attracted all sorts of weirdos on public chat rooms on messenger/discussion groups who I thought I was 22 year old F(Female) based of "f22" in the user name
skanchan95 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 11:38   #1554
Senior - BHPian

A Re-post. But I will not be a able to look at another C-17 or even my C-17 models again without thinking of the horrific visuals of those poor Afghans falling from that USAF C-17 that day and a couple of others whose remains were found from the C-17 landing gear after it landed.

To even think that one could get away and survive the journey by hanging on to the fuselage of an aircraft indicates the sheer desperation that many Afghans feel today. Those poor souls, they literally had no space to sit once the main landing gear retracted after take off.

Dedicated to the memory of the poor and desperate Afghans who lost their lives trying to hang on to the USAF C-17 & to the brave aircrew of C-17s from all around the world, including ours, who flew in and out of Kabul, risked their lives to get as many people out of Afghanistan as possible(and no, Qatar's C-17s don't count!!!)

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-c17_0.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-c17_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-c17_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-c17_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-c174_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-c174_2.jpg
skanchan95 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 17:07   #1555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Mikoyan MiG-27 (Russian: Микоян МиГ-27; NATO reporting name: Flogger-D/J) is a variable-sweep ground-attack aircraft, originally built by the Mikoyan-Gurevich design bureau in the Soviet Union and later licence-produced in India by Hindustan Aeronautics as the Bahadur ("Valiant").
Foxbat, please share photos of the underside too.
Old 28th August 2021, 19:11   #1556
BHPian

Quote:
Foxbat, please share photos of the underside too.
Yes Comrade Narayan, immediately executed your orders .

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20210828_133310679.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20210828_133340068.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20210828_133449771.jpg
Foxbat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 20:20   #1557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Comrade Narayan, immediately executed your orders .
Comrade Foxbat, the underside is even more beautifully finished. Those two bombs on the aft pylons are testimony to how well this aircraft was balanced with respect to both centre of gravity and centre of lift. Unlike a commercial airliner with its long cigar tube arrangement the weight distribution in a fighter (and more so an attack fighter) is awkwardly placed and those Soviet designers must have created a very large notional sphere within which the CoG and CoL could move around and still keep the machine stable and flying. I at least do not recall such an arrangement in any jet age fast combat aircraft ever.

Quote:
A Re-post. But I will not be a able to look at another C-17 or even my C-17 models again without thinking of the horrific visuals of those poor Afghans falling from that USAF C-17 that day and a couple of others whose remains were found from the C-17 landing gear after it landed.
C-17 forever. I wish we had purchased 10 more. When Boeing informed us it was closing the line and asked us if we wanted more we took two years to decide. Two years! And by then Boeing had closed the line and was only fulfilling tail end of existing orders. Exactly the same thing happened with Air India and the lovely L-1011-500 Tristar in 1982 or '83. We never correct our bureaucratic stupidities do we.
Quote:
1:72 Calibre Wings "Ocean Low Pass" Diorama base
This is a brilliant idea by Calibre Wings. The painted resin display base includes a clear acrylic "stand" to support the model. The stand neck has a white plastic cap that supports the model (between the engine tunnels and keys into the centerline slots provided for the AIM-7/AIM-54 missiles). The Model sits on this white cap. Separate ball of cotton wool with bendable metal wires has been provided which can be shaped and positioned to convincingly represent water spray being kicked up by the aircraft while flying very low over the Ocean surface.
Where aircraft dioramas go this is absolutely the best on our thread. Congratulations. Your patience and artistic touch are to be admired. Skimming over the sea - so very apt for a Tomcat. You probably have the best & largest Tomcat collection in the world.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 28th August 2021 at 20:28.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 15:32   #1558
BHPian

Time Changes but values don't: SU-24M vs SU-34

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img20210829144027_copy_1280x960.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img20210829144143_copy_1280x960.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img20210829143829_copy_1280x960.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img20210829143833_copy_1280x960.jpg
FrozeninTime is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 17:16   #1559
BHPian

Finished these today which were leftover from completed kits for a future project.

These are the typical weapon load for a particular fighter aircraft. Which one?

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pxl_20210901_114052521.jpg
Foxbat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 12:08   #1560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finished these today which were leftover from completed kits for a future project.

These are the typical weapon load for a particular fighter aircraft. Which one?
R-23s for a MiG-23 air defence variant (M/MF/ML/MLD)?

Its amazing how talented scale modellers like you manage to replicate minute details like bands, stencils and other markings on missiles. Well Done!!!

Last edited by skanchan95 : 3rd September 2021 at 12:12.
skanchan95 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks