Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2016, 12:26   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: A unique journey: My experience with Cancer

I have stopped posting on the forums for couple obvious reasons.

But, I do keep reading for those rare post like yours. Certain situations deal a blow to a family like no other. There is a saying
'An army is as strong as its weakest soldier'.

You stayed strong enough and I took a learning from your post too. procrastinating in the mornings and skipping workouts doesn't help.

I hope it helps others too. Thanks are keep spreading your happiness and spirit.

You are a true motorhead.
Old 27th September 2016, 13:11   #32
BHPian

Hats off Brother! Strength like this isn't easy to find. It comes through a lot of mental perseverance and sheer will power. I am in awe of the fact that you went through it optimistic, had the power to put it in words with the humor quotient intact. You Rock! Keep rocking and have a happy life man.
Old 27th September 2016, 13:28   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkishya View Post
At 42, life was getting stagnated, nothing seemed to excite, and petty issues were making their presence felt !! And along came Cancer probably one of the best things that happened to me in the recent times, it shook me up from slumber. It was as if watching a suspense movie that put me on the edge of the chair !! And while they say that once you start this journey, the remission from the disease is often just a break in this journey and sometimes you have to continue it to the end, well, let's just WAIT and SEE !!

Regards,
Kishor Shinde
That's quite a writeup and display of grit and determination. Your last paragraph will surely inspire others. Cancer has become quite common these days. Can you please enlighten some bad habbits to avoid and good habbits to adopt as a preventive measure? Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 13:53   #34
BHPian

Thank you for sharing your experience.

You were brave enough to face the situation and then share is with us which speaks a lot about your character and determination. The fact that life is a gift is often forgotten and we forget to live and enjoy what we have and your write-up would surely help a lot of people recall this fact.

Wish you good health !!

..SD
Old 27th September 2016, 14:01   #35
BHPian

After reading this, I don't know what to say Kishor!
Hats off to you dude! Attitude is all that matters and on top of that you have not lost your sense of humor.
Ninja deserves another Ninja .
Old 27th September 2016, 14:05   #36
BHPian

Hats off to your spirit Kishor.

Just some days back, I was thinking about our lifestyles on how they have changed and all the carcinogenic substances that we are in contact with on a day-on-day basis. That's when I decided to buy a special Cancer plan of 20L for me and my better half (individually) from a reputed bank last weekend for <1% of the insured value. The plan provides an income benefit @1% of the insured amount for 5 years(if diagnosed) and covers all cancer related expenses. Your normal mediclaim cover will never be able to cover costs for such diseases.

Note to mod** the above information is just for the forum members to be aware that such a plan exists. I am no way related to the insurance firm.
Old 27th September 2016, 14:07   #37
BHPian

Hats-off. "Self Confidence" - That's how cancer patients overcome the disease.

I have seen my mother overcome cancer when she was operated at the age of 62, followed by several sessions of Chemo and Radiotherapy. She's turning 70 tomorrow and is keeping normal health, though old age is catching up with her. She had that "Self Confidence" and still has.

I'm seeing the same in you.

My best wishes for a quick recovery and happy driving times with family.
Old 27th September 2016, 14:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
let's just WAIT and SEE !!
You dealt with the situation head on, nice to see the courage, buddy.

My dad was also in a similar situation in 1989, he had sarcoma. Himself being a doctor was really helpful, he could select the best medical procedure available back then.

My dad had taken opinion from most of the famous oncologist that where there in India at that time, Tata cancer center, bombay, RCC Trivandrum, et al. Most of the doctors told that chance of survival is less and have mostly, six to nine more months to live. Some of them even suggesting to discontinue the chemotherapy.

The biggest tumour he had was on his right leg, which has spread to lungs as well. They removed the tumour from the lungs as well as from the leg. Then against most of the doctors as well as well wishers will, he decided to amputate his leg, which was most logical option, then, there was only a little hope, if gone this route, though.

Most of the people were against it since it was a stage 3 cancer and why bring more misery during these last days with amputation. Anyway, after amputation they found the chemo medicines used till then wasn't effective enough and after that, more potent one were used for later chemo sessions. He pulled through these tough times and is healthy now.

A word of caution for all people, there are a lot of alternative medicines out there, if they says they can cure cancer without any side effects, STAY AWAY, they are not telling the truth.
Old 27th September 2016, 14:45   #39
BHPian

I read the OP twice. Such a strong spirit you have, and positive attitude. Most would have given up. Of course modern medicine counts, but the internal urge to fight and live on makes a big difference.

Wish you the best of health, sir.
Old 27th September 2016, 14:55   #40
Senior - BHPian

Thankyou for sharing your experience. Having supporting family, friends is very important. Also fitness is a key. My father had undergone a bypass recently and his recovery was faster than expected only due to him keeping fit.

One of the person's I admire is Dennis Matson. There's a very long thread on advriders started by him. I hope that thread never closes.

I'm certain that your experience will help many others going through the same.

Best wishes for the future.
Old 27th September 2016, 15:02   #41
BHPian

Quote:
5) Staying fit and exercising is important. Dr. Senthil would often say that you look more fit than anyone else !! I believed him and it helped !!

At 42, life was getting stagnated, nothing seemed to excite, and petty issues were making their presence felt !! And along came Cancer probably one of the best things that happened to me in the recent times, it shook me up from slumber. It was as if watching a suspense movie that put me on the edge of the chair !! And while they say that once you start this journey, the remission from the disease is often just a break in this journey and sometimes you have to continue it to the end, well, let's just WAIT and SEE !!

Regards,
Kishor Shinde

I wasn't even expecting this thread here. So it is a eye opener. Firstly great to learn that you fought well. I know in my distant contacts people who are going through this.

All the best sir.
Old 27th September 2016, 15:07   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I bought a Ninja 650 after nearly a year of deliberation.
And while they say that once you start this journey, the remission from the disease is often just a break in this journey and sometimes you have to continue it to the end, well, let's just WAIT and SEE !!
Hi Kishor, that was an interesting read. You're NED now, that's the most important bit. Stay NED for ever, and may you die of very old age.

You haven't mentioned the type of cancer you had, but in the absence of your mentioning about any surgery, and rapid involvement of the nodes initially, I am assuming this involves the blood / lymphatic system.

The Ninja is still there, I hope, and you can cure yourself better by beginning to ride again (with precautions as advised by your oncophysician).

Alternative medicines work too, despite what my allopathic training tells me. My dear friend, whose allopathic treatment (chemotherapy) might kill him before his disease does (Stage IV conventional osteosarcoma with pulmonary mets 18 months after initial treatment), has remained disease-free for some time now despite refusing further chemotherapy and choosing to switch to multiple alternative therapies.

Do reach out and keep posting. That's a form of therapy too.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 27th September 2016 at 15:09.
Old 27th September 2016, 15:07   #43
BHPian

Unbelievable, junkishya. Hats off to your spirit. Rather than getting bogged down too easily and starting to feel emotional, the way you have approached the entire thing is rarest of rare! And have to mention a word about your wife, parents and siblings too - usually they have a tendency to start feeling bad & may affect our strength even when we may have the spirit. But, you have got a brilliant family.

Take care, wishing you good health.
Old 27th September 2016, 16:12   #44
BHPian

Firstly heartiest congratulations for defeating the disease. I can truly imagine how strong willed you must be. I lost my father 18 months back even he was fighting cancer but the worry got him. He eventually passed away cause of a heart attack. Your approach to the whole is remarkable. I definitely got to learn something from your experience. I have seen how hard chemo can be. But truly Kudos to your spirit. And to the spirit of your family too..

Take care wishing you all the best..ride on bro..cheers
Old 27th September 2016, 16:17   #45
BHPian

Wishing you all the best of health! Family is the most important reason we exist , I was moved reading your journey. Keeping a plan B for your family is also equally important. Take care!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks