Team-BHP - Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Will you burn crackers this diwali? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/18235-will-you-burn-crackers-diwali-12.html)

Deepawali season coming ahead,
will definitely burn crackers.
Whats fun in Deepawali without sweets and crackers?

I used to be a huge cracker fan until about 2 years ago.

Used to spend about 5K in buying crackers each year but, since couple of years, lost the interest and hardly burn any crackers. Same thing goes for kite flying, lost interest in it since over 4-5 years now

For Diwali, It's now only flowerpots and rockets...

I dont mind firecrackers or specifically like them either. What I do have a grouse with is how our streets are used specifically for this purpose, among others.
I am happy for the interest and enthusiasm that people display during festivals, but why do they think my safety is worth risking? Since the last few years, I have actually begun to dread the festival season as most of the festivals are being celebrated too noisily and in a rowdy fashion. I dont see how dancing on the streets and playing lowsy music on 30 speakers amounts for religious fervour. This is not religion of culture, but degenerating into hooliganism. And why use streets for this? Where are people supposed to travel then?
I agree with long term concerns (noise/ air pollution, impact on kids, pets etc) but the short term scenario is much riskier and safety issues need to be tackled first.

- A neighbour's cloth curtain went up in fire by a rocket that (I hope) lost direction. Thankfully they were home and aware enough to put off the fire in time. What if they were busy or asleep?
- Perhaps this on the evening of the T20 World cup final which India won. I was driving home with my kid (then a year old or so). I could see some guys (friendly neighbourhood goons; the kind of which, 20 land up at your door to get money for the street corner pandal) lighting some firecrackers, so stopped my WagonR and a Honda City pulled up alongside. Some of the firecrackers split up and fell below the Honda City. The driver was so shcoked he accelerated and almost ran over one of those guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdrive (Post 2531920)
- A neighbour's cloth curtain went up in fire by a rocket that (I hope) lost direction. Thankfully they were home and aware enough to put off the fire in time. What if they were busy or asleep?
- Perhaps this on the evening of the T20 World cup final which India won. I was driving home with my kid (then a year old or so). I could see some guys (friendly neighbourhood goons; the kind of which, 20 land up at your door to get money for the street corner pandal) lighting some firecrackers, so stopped my WagonR and a Honda City pulled up alongside. Some of the firecrackers split up and fell below the Honda City. The driver was so shcoked he accelerated and almost ran over one of those guys.

I completely agree with all your points.

People should avoid rockets, these are the most dangerous fireworks IMO. I have seen/heard about accidents caused by rockets.

I also hate the Lars(garland) firecrackers (1000, 5000, 10000 etc). They cause too much of nuisance and irritate people.

This was what I mentioned in my first post that we should stick to the limit and prefer safety.

i lost interest in crackers when i was like 10...lol

so i guess its quite an obvious no from my side.

I was one of those kids who used to be crazy about crackers. Infact, so crazy that i used to go to the field late in the evening with friends and launch rockets horizontally. But yeah, I admit to my mistake. Looks foolish now. Was never really old or mature enough to understand that it was dangerous back then :) (All this was done without parents knowledge).

I still burn crackers if i find some company but the interest has died down. Last year, we burst crackers at a friends place where we had a small reunion at the same time :) Unless something similar happens, don't think ill go out to buy crackers all by myself this year.

Crackers expensive by 20-25% this Diwali.

Be ready to shell out more for crackers this Diwali - The Times of India

Like last year this year too it will Diwali without the crackers coz my son suffers from wheezing chest. Hence dont want to take any chances. Have convinced my family and they have readily agreed. Instead the amount will be spent on buying my son a Nintendo DS + games.:)

Q : Will you burn crackers this Deepavali ?
A : Yes yes, of course, lots of them :thumbs up . What is Deepavali without fireworks and sweets :).

PS : I do empathise with people whose health condition gets aggravated due to the sound/air pollution caused by fireworks.

While I like the fireworks which light up the sky and are purely for show purposes, I hate the noisy ones. As in , the ones which purely make a huge noise and nothing else.
Its been ages since I burst crackers though. Must be 12 years atleast, if not more. And yes, this Diwali would be no different.

This year somehow I've no enthusiasm left for bursting crackers at all. Infact I'm feeling like just staying at home during Diwali. May be it's because I'm just too depressed that I won't be able to visit my parents for this Diwali :(

I find the whole practice of polluting the environment in the name of celebrations repugnant. If we were a disciplined, considerate country it is one thing: I am fine with everybody bursting crackers say between 6 pm and 9 pm for one or two designated days.

But the way we do it our country is: any time WE feel like (from pre-dawn to after midnight), with NO consideration for our neighbours, the elderly, sick and very young. We buy substandard fireworks, manufactured in hellholes using illegal child labour, that spill toxic crap and get seemingly louder every year. And worst of all, we don't even give a passing thought to cleaning up after ourselves. That's what the municipal corporation is for- it's their job!

Happy Diwali lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by noopster (Post 2551085)
I find the whole practice of polluting the environment......xxx....@#$^(H(@....

lol:
Are you burning the crackers or not?:D
If yes, then ok,
if no, then also ok.

I am all for community fireworks display, where residents or mandals can organise a fireworks display for some time every day done in a controlled environment. \'Show\' fireworks only. Nothing that just blasts off without much to show for it please. :D

Long time since we stopped firing crackers. This time however, we will be helping in firing crackers - at an orphanage.