Team-BHP - Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Will you burn crackers this diwali? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/18235-will-you-burn-crackers-diwali-5.html)

From past few years only I have reduced bursting cracker a lot. Planning to make Zero this time. But again if the situation demands then may be one or two.

OT: Kolkata police has restricted the Cracker sound to 90db where as all other city is still following 115-125db. Hope soon all other city municipality will follow the same. At least will reduce some sound pollution...

Poll closed in 2006, but hey! ...

My answer is no, I will not, though I will take to the terrace and appreciate the lit-up sky.

However... my whole thinking about fireworks has been changed by hearing from an asthmatic who has been hospitalised as a result of divali smoke, and who saw someone else, admitted too late, who died.

Previously, I could have ranted about the noise of crackers and the litter, whilst still enjoying the light show. There's the more obvious risk too, of fire, blindings, maimings, and deaths from explosions and mishandled fireworks --- but I never realised before that the pollution could be life threatening.

Well, I guess nothing is gained by me boycotting the lightshow, but I have been caused to think.

For all those in Hyderabad and interested in Firecrackers, JCI is offering a huge 75% discount on the MRP of Standard Sivakasi brand crackers (arguably one of the best around). They even have gift boxes (with lots and lots of assorted crackers) from as low as 500 bucks!

P.S. : Oh! by the way the proceeds from this sale (or is it the profit only!) will be used for some major charity work by JCI.

a big yes !

I love to burst crackers. I used to get scared of them when I was a child. Eventually, I started to love to burst them. Shall continue. So yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappo (Post 1532668)
For all those in Hyderabad and interested in Firecrackers, JCI is offering a huge 75% discount on the MRP of Standard Sivakasi brand crackers (arguably one of the best around). They even have gift boxes (with lots and lots of assorted crackers) from as low as 500 bucks!

P.S. : Oh! by the way the proceeds from this sale (or is it the profit only!) will be used for some major charity work by JCI.

The MRP prices on firework boxes are strange. They are usually sold at 80-90% discount. Why do they put the useless MRP prices on the package?

And somehow I've the feeling that wherever you see big discounts they may actually be from the previouos year's batch and they may not work properly. Just a thought not so sure though. Yes the MRP is strange, most of the time it's just too high. I got some standard fireworks from Hosur at 40% discount and they gave me a proper bill too(if it at all mean anything).

I used to buy crackers from sivakasi for five years.this time me and my friends went to kuttralam and way back we went to sivakasi.mostly we buy crackers for my family and friends this time we brought worth of crackers was more than 1.5L.But this time i had a opportunity to visit the factory.

pics form the factory

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushik_s (Post 1533263)
And somehow I've the feeling that wherever you see big discounts they may actually be from the previouos year's batch and they may not work properly. Just a thought not so sure though. Yes the MRP is strange, most of the time it's just too high. I got some standard fireworks from Hosur at 40% discount and they gave me a proper bill too(if it at all mean anything).

There will be price list for every month from july to diwali they will increace the price every month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushik_s (Post 1533263)

They can knock off >50% from the MRP. and there will still be a good profit margin for them. This applies to any brand.

I don't know what's up with Mumbai. I still haven't heard a single cracker go off !

Quote:

Originally Posted by deky (Post 1530295)
I burnt my hand badly when I was 10 yrs of age, since then I have been really really scared of Crackers. But this year I do plan to buy some "phuljhari" and "Anar" for my kid to enjoy.

No big bombs apart from the sound pollution we have a dog who goes crazy with the sound

OT:- Any idea how to sedate a dog during diwali time? Compose?? Kindly PM me any solutions please

@deky---I fully empathize with your dog. Right from early childhood, I have been averse to the lound sound of crackers, and still hate them. I used to crouch under the bed with my pet dog, praying for the mayhem to end. I don't think there is any way to sedate a dog during Diwali.

Probably I have sensitive ears. A bit OT--An Army pal of mine once offered me a chance to fire a carbine, a sten gun and an LMG. After firing the LMG, I could not hear properly with my right ear for a couple of days!

I too burnt my thumb as a kid, but still love flower pots, rockets and ground chakras.

Cheers and Happy Diwali!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKIYA_2K12 (Post 1533497)
pics form the factory

Brave man! I would not go near a firework factory; I get nervous about walking past the shops!

Quit bursting crackers around 1995 or so.Reason: Pollution of all kinds and terrorizing animals, birds and senior citizens. An absolute waste of money, resources and oxygen.

No-Haven't burned any for last 8yrs and I intend to keep it that way. Just few reasons for doing so; Pollution, noise, child labour involved in making the crackers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKIYA_2K12 (Post 1533497)
pics form the factory

Man the pics of guys covered in silver are scary!
These guys breathe this stuff in for the major part of the day. In addition, their skin gets affected by it. I don't even want to think about the health issues and life expectancy faced by them.

And we blow up lakhs of rupees to ensure that this will never end.

Diwali is round the corner and it is time to revive this thread. I am planning to buy moderate amount of crackers this Diwali. It is fun and enjoying for Diwali. Without crackers it does not seems Diwali.

Where to get best crackers in Bangalore? Considering the local prices quite steep, where to buy them with reasonable price?