Team-BHP - The Cashless Transactions Thread (apps, wallets etc.)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The Cashless Transactions Thread (apps, wallets etc.) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/182995-cashless-transactions-thread-apps-wallets-etc-11.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalOne (Post 5042529)
I stopped using Paytm wallet since the time I switched to GPay (linked to my ICICI Bank account) a couple of years back.

Of late, I am not very happy with Gpay/ICICI combo as it fails too often. Also need to go thru two authentications and location enabling, even for micro-payments. So thinking of switching back to Paytm Wallet.

Can I make UPI payments from a Paytm Wallet?

I agree on the Gpay performance. I have not had failures often but it takes a long time for the transactions to go through. My GPay is linked to HDFC account.
I am now using PayTM UPI which is much faster. My PayTM wallet balance is usually below 100. Rarely use it.

I had a small question regarding usage of wallets. I realize that in order to transfer money via UPI, you need to have a bank account. Are bank accounts not needed for wallets? How does one load money into a wallet if the user does not own a bank account? How do unbanked people (i.e. people without bank accounts) use wallets? I believe they can receive money from other wallets but can they convert the wallet balance into cash?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saanil (Post 5042758)
I had a small question regarding usage of wallets. I realize that in order to transfer money via UPI, you need to have a bank account. Are bank accounts not needed for wallets? How does one load money into a wallet if the user does not own a bank account? How do unbanked people (i.e. people without bank accounts) use wallets? I believe they can receive money from other wallets but can they convert the wallet balance into cash?

The wallets can be loaded by transfering money from another user's wallet. The RBI has now started allowing the withdrawl of money from wallets as well.
https://www.livemint.com/money/perso...960746177.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalOne (Post 5042529)

Can I make UPI payments from a Paytm Wallet?

The answer's a roundabout Yes.

To use Paytm UPI, you have to have an active Paytm UPI handle, so linking to an active bank account.

During an actual transaction, when you scan a generic UPI QR code, the app asks you to select the account to pay from (wallet or linked bank account).

Today, when I was trying to make a payment to someone, I scanned the UPI bar-code on the store with GPay. It somehow showed that my Bank Account was not linked. I didn't pay much attention and made the payment using BHIM.
A few minutes back, I linked my bank account again and tried to make the payment again. It seems that my UPI pin was blocked for too many failed entries.

So apparently, someone hacked into my GPay!! No money is withdrawn due to the UPI pin.

I am simply not able to understand how this could have had happened. There were no suspicious SMS, no new account logins alerts.. NADA. Nothing.

I am almost a digital native and have been using online banking since 2004. Most of my accounts use 2-factor logins.

Does anyone have any idea what sorcery is this? How can this happen?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao (Post 5042803)

To use Paytm UPI, you have to have an active Paytm UPI handle, so linking to an active bank account.

During an actual transaction, when you scan a generic UPI QR code, the app asks you to select the account to pay from (wallet or linked bank account).

Actually this depends on the merchant to whom you are paying. Only if he has enabled payment from Wallet you can use PayTM UPI QR Code and pay from wallet. Otherwise it will not allow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atnyia (Post 5046593)
It seems that my UPI pin was blocked for too many failed entries.

So apparently, someone hacked into my GPay!! No money is withdrawn due to the UPI pin.

I am simply not able to understand how this could have had happened. There were no suspicious SMS, no new account logins alerts.. NADA. Nothing.

I am almost a digital native and have been using online banking since 2004. Most of my accounts use 2-factor logins.

Does anyone have any idea what sorcery is this? How can this happen?

Difficult to say exactly what happened. However IMO flaky implementation of UPI protocol by apps is more plausible than a hacking attempt. The error messages can often be misleading. Also, the apps making unsuccessful attempts may irk the server sometimes into believing something wrong.

Hacking? Difficult to rule it out, though quite difficult with SIM being tied to the protocol. Guess it would require SIM cloning for someone else to manage to link your account to another SIM and you'll still get messages.

Hence software issues sound a more plausible cause IMO.

This day had to come.

Covid just precipitated it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao (Post 5042803)

I have switched to this Paytm wallet/UPI combo mode from GPay since a month back.

Advantages over GPay:
1. If the recipient has a Paytm QR code - this is around 50% presence - then wallet can be used. No UPI pin required. Transactions are super fast. If recipient has any other QR code, payment is via UPI.
2. App locking is optional.
3. Location need not be enabled.
4. Payment memo is optional.
5. Wallet can be loaded using UPI.

Stopped using PayTM a long time ago. Been using GPay and BHIM UPI for a while now, linked to 2 different bank accounts. GPay occasionally has niggles and sometimes becomes too slow while operating; transactions take time to go through. Surprisingly, BHIM has been seamless even though it's a govt initiative. NPCI guys have really managed to keep it simple and user friendly.

My wife bought new phone (Redmi Note 10) and migrated the apps from the earlier phone (Redmi Note 4). She had Google Pay installed on it earlier and was working perfectly. It was linked to Axis bank.

Now when she tried to activate the account on new phone, the app asked the mobile number linked to bank, which we provided. Then when the verification OTP is entered, the app is not able to activate the account.

Same issue when we tried to link to other bank accounts.

Please let me know how do I get this fixed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AltoLXI (Post 5116835)
My wife bought new phone ....
Now when she tried to activate the account on new phone, the app asked the mobile number linked to bank, which we provided. Then when the verification OTP is entered, the app is not able to activate the account.

Same issue when we tried to link to other bank accounts.

Please let me know how do I get this fixed?

Earlier the sign in number and bank account number could be different now they have to be same. Means you have to use the same phone number in Google Pay which is linked with bank.
Also, many a times the activation fails due to server issues, so please try later.
Also, try uninstalling and installing the app again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PraNeel (Post 5116841)
Earlier the sign in number and bank account number could be different now they have to be same. Means you have to use the same phone number in Google Pay which is linked with bank.
Also, many a times the activation fails due to server issues, so please try later.
Also, try uninstalling and installing the app again.

The bank account number is the same as the last time. We tried Airtel number which is linked to bank account.

But how to change the sign in number in the app to Airtel? I suppose she used Jio number last time.

We had installed Google pay last time from play store but in new phone it is pre installed and no option to uninstall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AltoLXI (Post 5116849)
The bank account number is the same as the last time. We tried Airtel number which is linked to bank account.

But how to change the sign in number in the app to Airtel? I suppose she used Jio number last time.

We had installed Google pay last time from play store but in new phone it is pre installed and no option to uninstall.

1. If your phone number linked to bank is 1234567890 you have to use the same phone number to log into google pay. No relation with bank account number.
2. To change sign in phone number in gpay, click on the top right corner where a circle with the first alphabet of user name is present after opening gpay, then go to settings and then sign out.
3. You can long press on the gpay app icon, then click on the i button, which will take you to AppInfo, go to storage and then clear data. This will be as good as a fresh install of app.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PraNeel (Post 5116853)
1. If your phone number linked to bank is 1234567890 you have to use the same phone number to log into google pay. No relation with bank account number.
2. To change sign in phone number in gpay, click on the top right corner where a circle with the first alphabet of user name is present after opening gpay, then go to settings and then sign out.
3. You can long press on the gpay app icon, then click on the i button, which will take you to AppInfo, go to storage and then clear data. This will be as good as a fresh install of app.

Did these now. Signed out and cleared the data. When app opens, entered the number linked to account. But when I try to link bank account, shows "Couldn't send SMS". Got the OTP though in the first step.

Is this something to do with https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...y-plans-2.html?