Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2022, 00:31   #211
Team-BHP Support

Re: Artificial Intelligence: How far is it?

A chess robot with general AI? That's a big stretch...
Old 25th July 2022, 05:04   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Why did the robot did this? The boys quick response they say unsettled the robot but the robot could have waited. I dont think the manufacturers programmed the robot to stop opposition player's move by manhandling. Nobody would code the robot to be physical, did it evolve seeing human reactions.
It's more likely that it, thanks to some software error, misrecognized the boy's quick move as the piece it had tried to move still being on the board and tried to move it again. I am surprised that a robot designed to move chess pieces had enough mechanical power to hold on to someone's hand and cause a fracture.
rkv_2401 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 10:55   #213
Team-BHP Support

Report: U.S. loses AI leadership to India despite a 6-year head start

Quote:
Peak’s inaugural Decision Intelligence (DI) Maturity Index found that while the U.S. was an early leader in artificial intelligence (AI), India is now the more mature market when it comes to readying their business to adopt AI.

While the U.S. was an early leader in AI, with 28% of U.S. businesses adopting the technology over six years ago – compared to 25% in India and 20% in the U.K. – India is the more mature market when it comes to leveraging AI, scoring 64 (out of 100) on Peak’s DI maturity scale, while the U.S. charted 52 and the U.K. just 44.
Being part of this ecosystem, I tend to agree. Recently my business partner visited Gitex at Dubai and realized that the huge swath of international vendors had nothing great to offer in AI space. Just India alone has more companies in AI space. India due to its huge population has become a proving ground for AI technology.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 21:28   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

AI flies jet fighter in 12 sorties clocking 17 hours of flying time

https://www.msn.com/en-in/entertainm...a13726a5&ei=11

Lockheed Martin flew a modified F-16D jet fighter 17 hours over 12 sorties using AI. A pilot was used to help the AI to learn.

I don't know about others but I find the rapidness with which AI is developing staggering and utterly frightening.

Is AI the Big Brother come at last? An Orwellian question but one that begs attention.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 23:06   #215
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Is this any different than auto-pilot that flies aircraft most of the time?
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 00:30   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I imagine there is. Although there is very little information to be found on this particular test, other than it also involved a lot of complex dog fighting manoeuvres. Which I don’t think are by the auto pilot

Just came across this article

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/scie...ch-11-dogfight

Quote:
Chinese AI simulates hypersonic air battle, offering surprising tactic for winning Mach 11 dogfight

To defeat enemy in aerial combat, hypersonic plane should zoom ahead and launch missile backwards, according to computer simulation
The counter-intuitive approach allows a pilot to strike quickly from far away, greatly improving the crew’s chance of survival
Forbes published this article about pilotless aviation two days ago. Although not mentioned as such, it will rely on AI as well.

Jeroen

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzanne...flying-planes/
Jeroen is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 10:31   #217
BHPian

Looks like the skynet is already here.

In a simulated exercise, an AI powered drone, killed its operator because that person was keeping it from accomplishing its objective.

Quote:
The mission was straightforward: "Destroy the enemy's air defense systems." But in a recent US military test simulation, a drone powered by artificial intelligence added its own problematic instructions: "And kill anyone who gets in your way."
Quote:
"The system started realizing that while they did identify the threat," Hamilton said at the May 24 event, "at times the human operator would tell it not to kill that threat, but it got its points by killing that threat. So what did it do? It killed the operator. It killed the operator because that person was keeping it from accomplishing its objective."

According to Hamilton, the drone was then programmed with an explicit directive: "Hey don't kill the operator — that's bad."

"So what does it start doing? It starts destroying the communication tower that the operator uses to communicate with the drone to stop it from killing the target," Hamilton said.

Link
AltoLXI is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 12:55   #218
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
A difference that I see is complete elimination of 'human in the loop' for deployment and operation, especially for lethal systems. More than a decade and half ago I had an opportunity to observe a pilotless fighter aircraft perform a full profile while evading an aggressor, the pilotless aircraft was flown by a pilot on ground. I guess now we are seeing removal of ground pilot as well.
PGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 15:23   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
A difference that I see is complete elimination of 'human in the loop' for deployment and operation, especially for lethal systems. More than a decade and half ago I had an opportunity to observe a pilotless fighter aircraft perform a full profile while evading an aggressor, the pilotless aircraft was flown by a pilot on ground. I guess now we are seeing removal of ground pilot as well.
Looks like soon we may have a situation of wars being fought on computers vs computers but casualties on real people.
Reminds me of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Taste_of_Armageddon
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 15:36   #220
BHPian

One news that we may be ignoring: NEURALINK has got FDA clearance for human trials. That is beyond Artificial Intelligence.

https://tech.hindustantimes.com/tech...677388246.html

https://www.reuters.com/science/elon...ts-2023-05-25/
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 17:15   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Reminds me of the "Stealth" movie that came out in 2005.

"An artificial intelligence-enabled fighter-bomber develops sentience when struck by lightning during a mission. Three expert pilots must apprehend the bomber before it precipitates a nuclear war."

Nice movie to watch back then. Not as scary as thinking about it today
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 21:15   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
In a simulated exercise,
and now the colonel backtracks and says he misspoke.

Quote:
But after reports of the talk emerged Thursday, the colonel said that he misspoke and that the "simulation" he described was a "thought experiment" that never happened.
Link
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 16:26   #223
BHPian

When I watched Skynet taking over the world in the movie Terminator-III Rise of the machines in 2003 (just10 years back), it felt like a fantastic movie. Going by the rate at what things are happening on the AI front - even by just reading some of the earlier posts in this thread looks like machines might do just that!!

I hope the guys who are deep into this tech also build a MANUAL kill switch.

Reminds me of an episode in the 1985-89 comedy series called SMALL WONDER where the advanced version of the existing robot- Vicki takes over and makes its maker and his family hostage and they were finally able to save themselves because the engineer/maker had a kill switch installed!!
Sunil@KA25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 09:06   #224
Team-BHP Support

'Heartless decision,' say netizens after Dukaan replaces 90% staff with AI chatbot for customer support

https://www.businesstoday.in/latest/...276-2023-07-11

This is happening a lot. But there was no reason to boast about it on twitter, as if it is a great achievement.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 11:32   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
'Heartless decision,' say netizens after Dukaan replaces 90% staff with AI chatbot for customer support

https://www.businesstoday.in/latest/...276-2023-07-11

This is happening a lot. But there was no reason to boast about it on twitter, as if it is a great achievement.
Voice based customer service took a step down to perdition with IVR, "press one to tear your hair out, press 2 to cry in vain....". It then took another step down with typed chat rooms which frankly neanderthals like me find restrictive and unhelpful but maybe I am the minority. And now we have achieved perfection with AI answering bots. One retail company that truly understands the value of a well trained & knowledgeable call centre agents who patiently can solve issues beyond quoting by rote is American Express. The cost of 1000 or even 5000 well trained well paid call centre agents is nothing for a large corporation. But sadly, they seem over focused on saving costs at the most crucial point at which their customer touches them - when he/she is in trouble, irritated, upset etc.
V.Narayan is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks