Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2024, 12:40   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Artificial Intelligence: How far is it?

Might be slightly OT but I couldnt think of any other thread for sharing this.

Personally, I belive that the biggest shift that GenAI could drive is in increasing productivity.

Quoting Jesse Lyu from Rabbit
Quote:
Our smart devices have become the best way to kill time instead of saving it.
My crib with Large Language Models(LLMs) and GenAI has been that they provide information, and then its again up to the individual to take that information and action it. A lot of research if focused on making LLMs faster, more robust, reducing halucinations etc. but the actionability of it is still missing. To explain it simply, LLMs/GenAI tech is are equivalent to launching a new car but not confirming when test drives will be available and how you can book the car.

And then I stumbled upon the launch video of Rabbit R1 and LAMs (Large Action Models) and at the end of it, I was doing cartwheels in my head.

Quote:
A Large Action Model is a model that understands human intentions on computers
Understanding human intentions - thats the key for me and most human intentions are derived from a desire for action. You search for a product with an intention of purchase, maybe at a distant point in the future, but then if the software understands that the intent is to buy, it will provide ways and means to action it.

Imaging having the capablity to train your phone to complete actions without writing code. The closest analogy that I can think of is recording macros in excel instead of writing them . Recording macros is so much more easier (if your livelihood doesnt depend on writing them).

Now that we have LAMs and the Rabbit R1, I belive Google,Apple and Microsoft will be forced to include actions in their new GenAI products and relook at user needs. I do belive that in CoPilot, Microsoft has the building blocks in place and with more enterprise adoption and feedback, they should quickly move from recomendations to actions.

Will be really interesting to see how the advent of rabbit r1 impacts the smartphone form factor, features and user experience.
Imagine having a phone that doesnt need 6-7 apps to plan and execute a weekend drive.
Current state is use google to find a place to drive, check with friends/driving buddies/online about route/road conditions, check who is joining, plan a meet point, plan breakfast, use splitwise/excel/whatsapp to track payments, paytm for fastag reacharge etc.
Now imagine that the above workflow is automated and all you have to do is express the desire to drive somewhere this weekend and the software suggests locatons along with drive time, road conditions, popular breakfast options. Shared with friends, record votes and custom requests, confirm plan, set reminder.
The above is a rather simplistic example but thats probably going to be the future, or thats my hope

Example from rabbit on how their workflow training works as on date.

The flip side of high performance LAMs that are able to deliver error free actions will be the reduction in low skill jobs, like the personal assistant. At some point in the near future, LAMs could be downscaled to solve smaller
well defined problems in the enterprise, like project planning OR setting up and managing data workflows, which could mean that Project/Program Managers will need to upskill and understand how to customize LAMs to deliver best results.

All in all, its going to be an interesting but turbulent 3-4 years for tech before we reach a steady state.

Salesforce blog on LAM - https://blog.salesforceairesearch.co...action-models/
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 18:42   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
The flip side of high performance LAMs that are able to deliver error free actions will be the reduction in low skill jobs, like the personal assistant. At some point in the near future, LAMs could be downscaled to solve smaller
well defined problems in the enterprise, like project planning OR setting up and managing data workflows, which could mean that Project/Program Managers will need to upskill and understand how to customize LAMs to deliver best results.
Thanks for posting, I was intending to research more into this.
1) Any changes in UI flow (one selection step leading to another selection step) or even the individual elements (like buttons etc.) leads to change in my navigations and thus my "workflow". I assume that Rabbit will be intelligent enough to adapt rather than look cluelessly at me to guide it once again.

2) RPA companies like UIPath have been pushing this for ages (of course mostly for B2B business process rather than B2c personal processes), what makes this different/better, the LLM part (which "translates" you new/modified requirements compared to the original and modifies the underlying actions accordingly)?

Last edited by alpha1 : 23rd January 2024 at 18:45.
Old 23rd January 2024, 20:15   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I assume that Rabbit will be intelligent enough to adapt rather than look cluelessly at me to guide it once again.
Ideally yes, but then it will make a few mistakes before it learns. Most AI tools today are functional but not necessarily reliable. Reliablity will come with learning and repetition, very similar to what a person will do. Complex tasks might need a different learning approach for GenAI, but it might still not get there.

Quote:
what makes this different/better, the LLM part (which "translates" you new/modified requirements compared to the original and modifies the underlying actions accordingly)?
IMO, the ability to quickly learn and adapt is what will make the GenAI tools/tech different. Having said that, they will still need validation from a human to ensure "Quality" bar is met/exceeded. Even after repeated instances if the quality bar is not met, then there would need to be tweaking in some form or the other, which today is typically done using Retrieval Augmented Generation (RAG), where external knowledge sources are used to improve the accuracy and reliability of generated text.

Short video on RAG and how it can help improve LLMs

Last edited by procrj : 23rd January 2024 at 20:17.
Old 24th January 2024, 16:14   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
And then I stumbled upon the launch video of Rabbit R1 and LAMs (Large Action Models)
While I see the merit of the action model concept, the device is IMHO not going to fly. Why would I swap my phone for this? Design is clunky. And if there's one thing we've learned, no one is going to carry around two devices.

Maybe the action model concept will start being adopted by phone makers instead.
Old 2nd April 2024, 14:57   #245
Team-BHP Support

Jump to position 3:40 to avoid the US politics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks