Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2013, 17:49   #856
BHPian

Re: The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Guys, i am a total noob when it comes to RC cars. I am interested in buying one with a budget of 5K . Is it sufficient? I am looking towards something like Tasseem has.

Also do these use AA rechargeable batteries or have inbuilt rechargeable ones? If they are inbuilt , how many recharges do they last? How easy is it sourcing a replacement battery?

Lastly, where in Bangalore can i get a good collection to choose from?
Hey Sagar! I'm glad you're interested in getting into RC! We need more people!!

To answer your question, you cannot get a good hobby grade vehicle for 5k. Double it and you can look at good used ones.

The car that I have is a Slash 4X4. It costs 30K new, and about 13-15k used.

These cars run can run on a variety of batteries starting from nimh to the more advanced Lipo types. They cost almost the same, but Lipos offer consistent performance and increased punch throughout the run time. I use a 2S 4200mah Lipo which gives me around 30 minutes of run time. This equates to about 2 hours of fun.

Sourcing the car and accesories are relatively easy.

A Lipo would cost anywhere between 1.5-4k depending on the capacity, C and S ratings. A basic balancing charger costs Rs.500. I have an advanced charger that can charge a wide range of batteries and offers several options. This cost be 3.5k.

I suggest you take a look at this link.

Google for more info. There is so much read up!

And please dont waste money on toy grade cars. They run slow and you will get bored sooner than later! Trust me, I've been through several toy cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Thanks for putting up this video, Who ever was driving has Brilliant Control
Thanks! I did the driving, my bro was at the camera. To be honest, the driving wasn't as clean as the video. Some of the turns were several takes heavy! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Can anyone recommend a good abuse Friendly VFM RC controlled Battery operated 4X4(The one's running on fuel are expensive)-Correct?.
I just want to buy one for fun on weekends,as i have some vacant space,where i can have some fun with it,dont really want to spend much so i would prefer options which are easy on the pocket.
Well yes and no. You can find nitro models that are cheaper than electrics. A gallon of fuel would cost approx 2k and would last you a long time unless you run everyday. My Savage has a 4.6cc engine and gives me 15 min of run time on a tank (160cc)

You can find models starting from 8k if you look hard.

Almost all the off road hobby grade vehicles can take a lot of abuse. We're talking speeds of over 100kmph and jumps of 10-15ft! If you use it like you would your normal toy car, they will last you several lifetimes.

The thing with hobby grade vehicles are that they can be modified/altered. For example when bashing, I run gears that give me a lot of punch and keeps the motor cool. For tarmac, I gear up so that I get incredible top speeds.

Modified can go well above 160 kmph. Check youtube!

I suggest going for a used electric in good condition. Get new batteries and a charger and you're good to go.

Last edited by Tassem : 27th February 2013 at 17:54.
Old 27th February 2013, 18:30   #857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post

Hey Sagar! I'm glad you're interested in getting into RC! We need more people!!

To answer your question, you cannot get a good hobby grade vehicle for 5k. Double it and you can look at good used ones.

The car that I have is a Slash 4X4. It costs 30K new, and about 13-15k used.
Thanks for the info. Wow, I never thought that these off roaders Will be so costly. We can get a second hand two wheeler for a price of a new one of this. !! Just kidding

Any pointers to shops in Bangalore?

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th February 2013 at 21:16. Reason: Please avoid quoting a full long post specially when its on same page, thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 22:55   #858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Wow, I never thought that these off roaders Will be so costly. We can get a second hand two wheeler for a price of a new one of this. !! Just kidding

You can try model art in Forum Mall, Koramangala. They mainly have Thunder tiger, which is a hobby grade brand but not the most reliable and can't take a lot of abuse. Your best bet is Traxxas,HPI,Losi if you're looking at serious hobby grade stuff.

If all you want to do is play around when bored, just get a Nikko or similar brand and when you feel the need to have something faster and better you can get a used Slash
Old 27th February 2013, 23:38   #859
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
They mainly have Thunder tiger, which is a hobby grade brand but not the most reliable and can't take a lot of abuse. Your best bet is Traxxas,HPI,Losi if you're looking at serious hobby grade stuff.
The TT trucks such as the ST-1 and MT4G3 is the first thing that comes to ones mind when one thinks of reliability and toughness ,i can safely say its much reliable and tougher then any traxxas out there and it matches the Hpi Savage in toughness and is more reliable.TT also owns AE or Team Associated many of parts are shared with the RC8.
The MT4G3/ST-1 is by far the toughest truck out there and is basher approved http://www.bigsquidrc.com/thunder-ti...-truck-review/

Traxxas is mainly for beginners and children its all plastic you need ton of after market parts to make it reliable especially if you use it for bashing.
Old 27th February 2013, 23:56   #860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post

The TT trucks such as the ST-1 and MT4G3 is the first thing that comes to ones mind when one thinks of reliability and toughness ,i can safely say its much reliable and tougher then any traxxas out there and it matches the Hpi Savage in toughness and is more reliable.TT also owns AE or Team Associated many of parts are shared with the RC8.
The MT4G3/ST-1 is by far the toughest truck out there and is basher approved http://www.bigsquidrc.com/thunder-ti...-truck-review/

Traxxas is mainly for beginners and children its all plastic you need ton of after market parts to make it reliable especially if you use it for bashing.
The mt4 is an exception, but in general I've read a lot of owners complaining of poor plastics and something or the other failing in case of TT. I know of a friend who hates that he bought the sparrowhawk xxt. Since sagars budget rules out the mt4,I suggested he look at other brands
Old 28th February 2013, 10:42   #861
BHPian

Quote:

But you won't find even a new two wheeler that's half the fun

Model Art is the only place where you can see a couple of the models. The MT4 is perhaps the only worthwhile truck from the TT stable apart from the odd truggy or two. I've had TT stuff before and can't say much about their strength.

Quote:
You can try model art in Forum Mall, Koramangala. They mainly have Thunder tiger, which is a hobby grade brand but not the most reliable and can't take a lot of abuse. Your best bet is Traxxas,HPI,Losi if you're looking at serious hobby grade stuff.

If all you want to do is play around when bored, just get a Nikko or similar brand and when you feel the need to have something faster and better you can get a used Slash
Sadly, this is the only option at the moment. I'm not a big fan for Model Art but they are currently the only easily accessible surface RC provider in bangalore.

Quote:

I'd like to know what you based your observations on. And blanket statements? Especially since many people may just take your word for it.

Quote:
The mt4 is an exception, but in general I've read a lot of owners complaining of poor plastics and something or the other failing in case of TT. I know of a friend who hates that he bought the sparrowhawk xxt. Since sagars budget rules out the mt4,I suggested he look at other brands
+1 to that.

Last edited by Tassem : 28th February 2013 at 10:47.
Old 28th February 2013, 11:10   #862
BHPian

Wow, thank you so much Tassem and shashank for the amazing information. I would be heading to Model Art this weekend to pick a truck for myself. No more toying around.

I am for sure going to get utterly confused once there seeing all these cars. Could you list out of a couple of models I should focus on as a beginner?

Ok now there is a huge ground right in front of my apartment here in Marathahalli. Its big enough to allow 2-3 cricket matches to happen simultaneously. Lots of plain surfaces, undulations, etc. How about we do an RC Meet followed by a trip to the Auto Show in whitefield this weekend?

MaSh
Old 28th February 2013, 18:12   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
I would be heading to Model Art this weekend to pick a truck for myself.
That's the way to do it!! I'm happy you've decided to join the RC fun.

About the car, you'd have to decide what you'd be doing with it and where. There are so many options out there and so many people to help.

I can hook you up with a few people dealing with RC around the country. PM me if you'd like that.

Unfortunately I can't make it this weeked.. Perhaps another time.

Tassem.
Old 28th February 2013, 22:19   #864
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post

I'd like to know what you based your observations on. And blanket statements? Especially since many people may just take your word for it.
I have owned several nikkos ,a traxxas Rustler VXL and also have had a used E-Maxx and they moved on to the ST-1 which was then converted to Brushless and there is no comparison in build quality of Traxxas vs the TT ST-1 truggy .

I agree that other TT 1/10 scale products like the sparrowhawk are easily breakable.
But the 1/8 scale are built quite tough from the EB4-S3 buggy to MT4 G3 truck and even the Sledgehammer S50 or MTA4 4.6 which are rebadged by AE as MGT 8.0 and MGT4.6SE respectively.
Old 28th February 2013, 22:42   #865
BHPian

Quote:
I have owned several nikkos ,a traxxas Rustler VXL and also have had a used E-Maxx and they moved on to the ST-1 which was then converted to Brushless and there is no comparison in build quality of Traxxas vs the TT ST-1 truggy .

I agree that other TT 1/10 scale products like the sparrowhawk are easily breakable.
But the 1/8 scale are built quite tough from the EB4-S3 buggy to MT4 G3 truck and even the Sledgehammer S50 or MTA4 4.6 which are rebadged by AE as MGT 8.0 and MGT4.6SE respectively.
I guess I'll have to pay some attention to TT from now on

But you went with the wrong traxxas. The Revo and the Slash are pretty much their best products. The rustler is plain stupid. It doesn't even comply to any class. Part stadium racer, part speed demon. Does not do great in either. I had one for a while. It was fun till you get bored of doing speed passes.

I have to disagree about the sledgehammer though. A close friend of mine owns one and my savage can eat it for breakfast. It's eager to break the a-arms and the suspension kept popping. I love the tires on it tho. The MT4 G3 on the other hand is a brilliant kit.

I like it that you went the brushless route. I'm waiting on some parts for my savage to hit the electric party! Somehow nitro is too much work for me these days.
Old 1st March 2013, 13:03   #866
BANNED

I went brushless because of the noise the nitro makes and also because nitro attracts unwanted spectators who stand right between you and the RC car making it difficult for me to visually see the RC car when i am controlling it.Even people in 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers stop disrupting the visual contact with the RC car.
Spectators don't know how dangerous these can be if it crashes into them at such high speed.
After moving to electric its catches less attention.

Also nitro requires preparation and maintenance before and after running from charging the receiver battery to the glow plug to the starter batteries.Also when at times the engine does cut off in the middle of the run its a long walk to it.
After running cleaning the dirt is PIA the oil spurting out of exhaust makes a mess of the surroundings and the RC attracts lots of dirt.

I did look at the slash but wasn't that convinced but the revo is a fine truck but is getting dated and is expensive for what it offers,the E-Revo is a joke.There is also a new E-MTA truck from TT its more in the lines of a Revo and summit

Savage is clearly a better truck compared to Sledgehammer,i was merely saying that AE rebadges them.

Last edited by aim120 : 1st March 2013 at 13:08.
Old 2nd March 2013, 21:01   #867
BHPian

Ok I am in model art forum mall. They don't have Traxxas, hsi, etc. They only have thunder storm and their own brand Model Art. They have one beginner level 4x4 costing 6500/-. Thunder costing 12500/-.

Shall I go in for the Model Art truck costing 6500/-?
Old 4th March 2013, 01:24   #868
BHPian

Came back home, without picking it. Got a better idea of what's available.

Btw this is the one I saw. http://www.ebay.in/itm/Modelart-1-16...item35c278e269
Old 6th April 2013, 17:29   #869
BHPian

This is my rc car. Its a Redcat RS10 XT rock crawler.

Started life out as this (stock photo):
The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-1.jpg

Then i modified the hell out of it for next to no money. Now it looks like this:
The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-2.jpg
The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-3.jpg

Things i have done to it are:

1.Stronger metal gear servo for the front.
2. Metal transmission gears on the front axle.
3. Bent, extended suspension links. (for clearance and custom tuned geometry)
4. Repositioned suspensions on axle using homemade brackets.
5. Upgraded the battery connectors,
6. Cut wheel foam in a star pattern to soften the tyres.
7. Added wheel weights in front wheels.
8. Extensively trimmed and lowered the body.
9. Cut chassis to lower the CG.
etc...

The idea is that this 156$ car should work as well as something three times the cost. And I think it does.

I am wondering if there are any RC crawlers here on Team BHP. Would be great to have a crawl meet.

cheers
Old 7th April 2013, 15:11   #870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
This is my rc car. Its a Redcat RS10 XT rock crawler.

Started life out as this (stock photo):

Then i modified the hell out of it for next to no money. Now it looks like this:

Things i have done to it are:

1.Stronger metal gear servo for the front.
2. Metal transmission gears on the front axle.
3. Bent, extended suspension links. (for clearance and custom tuned geometry)
4. Repositioned suspensions on axle using homemade brackets.
5. Upgraded the battery connectors,
6. Cut wheel foam in a star pattern to soften the tyres.
7. Added wheel weights in front wheels.
8. Extensively trimmed and lowered the body.
9. Cut chassis to lower the CG.
etc...

The idea is that this 156$ car should work as well as something three times the cost. And I think it does.

I am wondering if there are any RC crawlers here on Team BHP. Would be great to have a crawl meet.

cheers
Looks really good... Even if there are no crawlers it won't take much time for them to crawl in. Where are you from bro?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks