Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2016, 11:29   #3061
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Guys, Need some advice to clear my confusion b/w two Hybrid's.

For the last ten days, have been searching Google and different reviews, user comments online to narrow down my search for a good cycle.

Add to that, have religiously gone through the last 60 pages of this thread to narrow down the search further. My requirements are
  1. Hybrid
  2. L frame, considering my height of 172 cm
  3. Budget around 15k
  4. Gears required - Yes
  5. Mileage (Bangalore roads) - 10 km weekdays, 35 km weekends
  6. Shocks - No
  7. Disc brakes - No
It seems to have boiled down to FF Rapide 21 vs the Montra Trance Pro. Have ridden the FF for a very short distance. Yet to ride the Trance Pro.

Two things are making the choice tough.
  1. FF Rapid - Not good with their warranty claims and quality of parts are not upto the mark. (I didn't understand which parts)
  2. Montra Trance Pro Rear Derailleur is Tourney (which is the case with most bikes in this budget) but the FF comes with Acera which, supposedly is better than Tourney. (the gear shift on FF was really butter smooth)
Point 1 makes me lean towards Trance Pro but, point 2 adds to my confusion and makes me wonder whether I should go with FF Rapid

Please suggest which, among the two should I go with although a price difference of 3k b/w the 2 is not an issue.

Any 3rd cycle suggestion is welcome.

Cheers

P.S. Budget beyond 18k is ruled out as I started from a budget of 7k and now have doubled it considering no real good options below the 15k range.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th September 2019 at 21:51. Reason: grammer correction. EDIT: LIST added, Typos.
Old 19th May 2016, 13:43   #3062

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Guys, Need some advice to clear my confusion b/w two Hybrid's.
P.S. Budget beyond 18K is ruled out as I started from a budget of 7K and now have doubled it considering no real good options below the 15k range.
Have you considered the Montra Blues 1.1 Rigid?

Comes with Acera groupset.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th May 2016 at 14:39. Reason: Trimming quoted text
Old 19th May 2016, 14:01   #3063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manowar View Post
Have you considered the Montra Blues 1.1 Rigid?

Comes with Acera groupset.
Now this makes it more confusing. You mentioned Acera but Montra website says Altus.

Can anyone guide me on the hierarchy of Shimanu and let me know whether Acera is better or Altus?
Old 19th May 2016, 15:12   #3064

Quote:
Now this makes it more confusing. You mentioned Acera but Montra website says Altus.

Can anyone guide me on the hierarchy of Shimanu and let me know whether Acera is better or Altus?
Acera is better than Altus but not by much.

Don't know about the site but an acquaintance recently picked up a regular Blues 1.1 (front suspension version) which came with Acera groupset.
Old 19th May 2016, 15:20   #3065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Montra(s) tend to be configured randomly between Altus and Acera between batches. In terms of Shimano hierarchy Acera is better than Altus, but only by a whisker. It shifts a wee bit more smoothly than the Altus, and is supposed to last a bit longer. Pick either!
Old 19th May 2016, 15:49   #3066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
It shifts a wee bit more smoothly than the Altus, and is supposed to last a bit longer. Pick either!
Acera shifting butter smooth I agree but, that is in comparison to Turney. Montra dealers are reluctant to give test rides. They have an option to book test ride on their website, have opted for that but, yet to get a revert.

Any feedback anyone has about FF service levels, charges and standing by warranty/guarantee claims?

Cheers

Last edited by pareshraheja : 19th May 2016 at 15:50. Reason: Spelling Correction
Old 19th May 2016, 17:03   #3067
BHPian

The Bicycles thread

Hey,

Which bicycle do you guys recommend for a budget of about 15k? Did some research and liked the Rockrider 340 and FF cyclone. Are there better bikes for this money or even a little lesser? I want front shocks, but not particular about number of gears(18, 21, etc). Also, I'm 6'1''. Will I get the right size?

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Last edited by Suraj25 : 19th May 2016 at 17:04.
Old 21st May 2016, 07:06   #3068
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe not so much applicable yet in India. But I thought I would share with you an interesting bicycle application: GPS.

Yes, GPS is used for bicycles as well. In my home country the Netherlands, there are several websites where you can find all sorts of bicycle routes all over the Netherlands.

There are various types of bicycle GPS around suitable for bicycles. I use a fairly simple but robust and water proof Garmin Etrex 30.

http://www.amazon.in/Garmin-010-0097...b-8ca7f9d9aa3e

I have also used this Etrex extensively here in India riding my Royal Enfield Bullet.

Maps are free of charge and enthusiast have made, free of charge, unbelievable detailed cycle map of the Netherlands. You can plan a route on the computer and upload on the Etrex, or just go an cycle and the Etrex will plot out your track via a so called bread crumb trail. A very dense set of locations, spaced less then half a meter apart.

Here is an example of a route I made earlier. Sorry all in Dutch, but you get the idea. You are supposed to provide a little narrative on the route, places to see, places to rest, some pictures etc. In this case I provided in the description various links to time tables of the various ferries. These are all dedicated pedestrian / bicycle ferries.

http://gpstracks.nl/fietsroutes-zuidholland.php?id=4844

If you click on the google map button on the bottom you get to this overview

http://www.gpstracks.nl/googlemap.ph...Zuid%20Holland

This is an 129 km route. My usual cycle distance is typical 75-150 km. The Netherlands is mostly flat, but it can get very windy especially in this part of the country.

Enjoy

Jeroen
Old 21st May 2016, 11:33   #3069
BHPian

Quote:

https://www.evanscycles.com/coffeest...eir-hierarchy/

https://www.evanscycles.com/coffeest...eir-hierarchy/
Old 21st May 2016, 12:06   #3070
BHPian

Awesome Info, thanks. Well a bit surprising though is no mention of Tourney at all.
Old 21st May 2016, 12:59   #3071
BHPian

Think the Tourney groupset is discontinued, even on the Shimano site tourney groupset is not shown.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th September 2019 at 21:53. Reason: Typos, spacing.
Old 23rd May 2016, 16:33   #3072

Hi Guys!
I am a newbie in the cycling world...I currently have a BTWIN 7S since the last one year which was used mainly for short weekend rides. However, more recently I have started going for longer rides (>50km). I feel the need to upgrade my bike. I have put a budget cap of 20K for a new bike including necessary accessories.
I want to purchase either a Hybrid or an MTB. Would love if you guys could help me out with options. I stay in Mumbai and will primarily be riding on tarmac with a little off roading.

Many thanks and Happy Riding everyone!
Old 23rd May 2016, 16:55   #3073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashver9133 View Post
Hi Guys!
I am a newbie in the cycling world...I currently have a BTWIN 7S since the last one year which was used mainly for short weekend rides. However, more recently I have started going for longer rides (>50km). I feel the need to upgrade my bike. I have put a budget cap of 20K for a new bike including necessary accessories.
I want to purchase either a Hybrid or an MTB. Would love if you guys could help me out with options. I stay in Mumbai and will primarily be riding on tarmac with a little off roading.

Many thanks and Happy Riding everyone!
Since you already have a BTWIN and know the BTWIN ecosystem (accessories, parts, upgrades, support etc), I would highly recommend the RockRider 340, which retails at Decathlon for about 15K INR. That would leave you with about 5K to invest in accessories and other riding gear. For the price, it is quite a nice package, although I am not a fan of the Grip Shifters.
Mind you though, if you wanted to eventually take to some proper Off-road cycling then the BTWIN RockRider 520 would be a much better choice, though at exactly double the price!

Last edited by roy_libran : 23rd May 2016 at 16:57.
Old 23rd May 2016, 20:05   #3074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Dear Sir - I am part of the gang of cyclists in Indirapuram and we do 25-30 km rides on weekdays and more on weekends. Look up ICC on FB or PM me.
I can come along and help you kick start this habit.
All the best.
I went to the Jhandewalan Cycle Market in Delhi, and based on a couple of test rides and comparative analyses + Shortlisting the models on the bases of my budget of 15-25K I have shortlisted two bikes :
Firefox Target D 21 S (24k with insurance - you need it if you live in GZB / Noida , After surviving carjacking just want to be prepared for cycle Jacking)
Suncross Surge 29 ER 20.5 Inches. (20 K With Insurance)

Although I liked the Suncross better, and features / specifications wise both of them seemed same to my novice eye, I would like to have your views on this. My visit to decathlon has been postponed by 15 days for now, as I would be going on a short trip in the intermediate weeks, and have certain matter that I need to handle.

Help me chose a model in this price bracket. My wife feels I should not spend more than 10k on my first bike, however, their were none in that price range.

Thanks in Advance !!

Regards,

BB
Old 24th May 2016, 09:33   #3075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
Firefox Target D 21 S (24k with insurance - you need it if you live in GZB / Noida , After surviving carjacking just want to be prepared for cycle Jacking)
Suncross Surge 29 ER 20.5 Inches. (20 K With Insurance)

Help me chose a model in this price bracket. My wife feels I should not spend more than 10k on my first bike, however, their were none in that price range.
I would still reiterate the advice I gave here.

While initially Suncross, Firefox, Montra etc. might seem like a good deal, you will eventually (if you cycle regularly) run into problems with the dearth of well-trained support and unavailability of spares with outside shops, unless you stay in the vicinity of Green Park Delhi.
Over the last 3-4 months now, I have noticed that Decathlon does a very good job of supporting their BTWIN bikes with accessories, upgrades, service and repairs, especially the Indirapuram branch.
In fact, I am so fed up with the lack of support, that I have decided to upgrade to either the ALUR or the Triban 500 within the next 2-3 months.

P.S. Both the shortlisted bikes (Suncross and Firefox) have decent entry level components, and I have seen both cycles amongst our local riders. They both ride well, for an entry level bike, but it is the overall Service support that is the concern.

Last edited by roy_libran : 24th May 2016 at 09:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks