Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2009, 12:25   #391
Senior - BHPian

How many folks here in for the Tour of Nilgiris this year ? Its turning into the longest, largest tour for leisure-endurance-bikers. In fact, if you want to explore long distance riding, the training rides over the weekends (at least in Bangalore) are a great way to start, with the support/advice of a group.

BTW, had stopped by at RR Cycles in Madivala yesterday - the guy's now got a pretty decent collection. A lot many bikes are sub 10k (LA Sovereigns, ACT Ryder 105-109s, etc) and will do just fine in Bangalore conditions - though trail riding may need better bikes.
Old 28th September 2009, 08:00   #392
BHPian

I had a BSA SLR during my school days.

Now I am planning to get a new one.
I tried www.ticyclesindia.com and found some ACT series ones, but far more expensive for a bike :(

My perspective :

1) I will be using it for my daily commute to nearby places. (Plans are there. but not sure if I will be using it to travel to office, as my office is just 4kms from my home)
2) Prefer it as a medium of workout.
3) Want only the ones with gear.
4) I don't feel like investing too much on it. (nothing above 3K)
5) Prefer used ones also.

Please advise.
Old 28th September 2009, 09:53   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestorm View Post
I had a BSA SLR during my school days.

Now I am planning to get a new one.
I tried www.ticyclesindia.com and found some ACT series ones, but far more expensive for a bike :(

My perspective :

1) I will be using it for my daily commute to nearby places. (Plans are there. but not sure if I will be using it to travel to office, as my office is just 4kms from my home)
2) Prefer it as a medium of workout.
3) Want only the ones with gear.
4) I don't feel like investing too much on it. (nothing above 3K)
5) Prefer used ones also.

Please advise.
First up, congrats on a great step!

The ACTs will do just fine for regular commutes, and even a little bit of trail riding. Avoid the ones with rear suspension - hardtails are better. Gears are very very useful
The new ACTs have not been tested long enough so dunno how the build quality holds up - but the shifters and dérailleurs should last, and till you start doing 60-70+ kms rides, this bike should serve you just fine (maybe even then).

3k ? Hmm, That may be tough. Your options would be limited to the Hero Hawk which is the only decent bike (will need some frequent DIYs, at least initially) and at that price, you'll manage to get the single speed to which you can later add after market gears. Do not opt for the heavier steel MTBs at all - they'll only cause a total loss of interest in cycling really really soon.

Don't rush into a buy - look around a little more - even try out a few bike from friends/rentals. BumsOnTheSaddle notebook - Bike lists should help. You might end up upping the budget a bit but it pays for itself real quick, and is totally worth it.
Old 28th September 2009, 11:41   #394
BHPian

Hi zenx,

Thanks a lot for such a quick reply and the link, and of course the wishes

I dint mean that I will be cycling just 4kms / day, but tats just to my office. Even more to go apart from that.

I will get back during any finalization or doubts.

Thanks again.
Old 28th September 2009, 21:13   #395
BHPian

Hercules Rockshox Overhaul

I am currently doing up my Hercules Rockshox, which my mother gifted to me in '94 or '95, when I finished 10th Std. I never used the bike extensively, as a couple of years later, I began using my dad's Lambretta scooter. The cycle would get used when I had no money to fill petrol in the scooter! The cycle was lying unused for almost last 3 years, but has withstood the weather very well. I also recently registered for the Cyclothon marathon on Oct. 11th, and decided to prepare my good old Rockshox, instead of renting a cycle from the organizers.
I dont have any pics right now, but this is the one which they called "Terrain Tamer", if anyone from my generation remembers! The colour seems to be a dark green or something similar.
I have found a mech whose an expert with the shock absorber bikes, he will start the disassembly tomorrow. My mech, who recently restored my 1970 Lambretta scooter will prepare and spray the frame and mudguards with Dupont Golden Yellow paint. He suggested using black colour at all the "joints" in the frame.
Quality replacement parts have been procured for most of the cycle. Was unable to get Shimano 5 speed gears, so will be using Starlit 5 speed, with a Shimano gear shifter.
Will keep you posted on the progress!
Old 4th November 2009, 20:25   #396
Senior - BHPian

I found a nice bike. An details on this anyone ?
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-image2101.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-image2102.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-image2103.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-image2104.jpg  

Old 5th November 2009, 11:18   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I found a nice bike. An details on this anyone ?
Looks like the Ryders ACT110. It's a decent bike for its price (around 10K).
https://www.ticyclesindia.com/ryders/act110.html
Old 9th November 2009, 16:47   #398
BHPian

A tribute to Lance Armstrong

Here's paying tribute to one of the greatest athletes or bicyclists in the world Lance Armstrong.

The guy was a fully healthy athlete when he got testicular Cancer. The cancer was so severe that it entered his brain. But he fought it. He was determined to fight it and he beat cancer. He did the unthinkable. After the surgery he was left with one testicle less. This did not deter his determination. He went on to win the most prestigious title in Cycling, The Tour De France. I was utterly inspired after reading his book "Its Not About the Bike - My Journey Back to Life."

When we're talking about bicycles, homage has to be paid to Cycling Championship's biggest and most determined stars Lance Armstrong
Old 9th November 2009, 17:37   #399
Senior - BHPian

My first one was a Hero Generation X series, changed it later to Hercules ezy dx which I still use.
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:09   #400
BHPian

Vintage 3 Speed Raleigh Spares for sale

Hi All

I want to sell a few spares of the Vintage Raleigh 3 speed, kindly pm me if interested..

Sturmey Archer 3 speed Original Trigger
Sturmey Archer 3 speed Original Cable with the Anchorage
Original Raleigh Bicycle Pump of the 50's
Old 26th December 2009, 19:18   #401
Senior - BHPian

Some pics I took on the TFN09 - will do the blog and post soon as well : Picasa Web Albums - Sameer - TFN2009

Hope to see more TBHPians on the ride next year
Old 28th December 2009, 00:09   #402
BHPian

Sameer, to say the pictures are awesome will be an understatement - looks like you guys had one helluva ride....
Old 28th December 2009, 09:44   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
Sameer, to say the pictures are awesome will be an understatement - looks like you guys had one helluva ride....
Thanks @nemo. More here from the official photographer : Flickr: TouroFNilgiris' Photostream

No way the pics actually captured what the ride felt like! For instance, I was hardly going to be able to capture the mindblowing thrills of the Kalahatti downhill where we MTBers zoomed past all traffic we came across, at the edge of control. Or the uncomfortable silence of riding slowly up slopes through the wildlife sanctuaries. If you're done 40-50kms over the weekend, give it a shot next year. Its awesome fun. I say this as a veteran of two TFNs
Old 28th December 2009, 21:35   #404
BHPian

Used Cycle in school.Started off with a Bsa champ>Street cat>Hercules rockshock(stolen)>Hero Mach 1

Never moved on to Mobikes from cycles.went over to 4 wheels straight away
Old 28th December 2009, 23:21   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Never moved on to Mobikes from cycles.went over to 4 wheels straight away
Trying to get people to upgrade from mobikes/cars to bicycles and break this bad habit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks