Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2015, 11:07   #2416
Senior - BHPian

Re: I upgraded.....sort of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
And just a suggestion - if you currently are only doing short rides, you could lose the pannier bag for now. I doubt you need that all the time.
Panniers are needed for now. I am riding to work. 10kms each way. With a rather "large" lunch box and shirt, jeans, towels, rain coat and what not, they are proving very very handy. And I still have to add the puncture repair kit.

I have already clocked 100kms in one week of riding. And I do feel more "lively".
Old 30th March 2015, 15:57   #2417
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Guys- All the MTBers and Roadbikers- and anyone else including those hybrid warriors: Your inputs are needed:

A] Which is the most effective lubricant for those with a higher running?

B] Any specific approaches towards roadbike maintainence? Are they more 'sensitive' compared to MTB's?

C] How is used engine oil as a lubricant? (I had some of it- gave it away to an FNG for disposal. Could've used it on the bike)

D] And- would you use new 2-stroke engine oil as a lubricant? Or rather a cycle specific oil? I would prefer to use the latter- But would like justifications which sort of lube should be used, and why.

Would appreciate inputs.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 30th March 2015 at 15:58.
Old 30th March 2015, 16:14   #2418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Guys- All the MTBers and Roadbikers- and anyone else including those hybrid warriors: Your inputs are needed:

A] Which is the most effective lubricant for those with a higher running?

B] Any specific approaches towards roadbike maintainence? Are they more 'sensitive' compared to MTB's?

C] How is used engine oil as a lubricant? (I had some of it- gave it away to an FNG for disposal. Could've used it on the bike)

D] And- would you use new 2-stroke engine oil as a lubricant? Or rather a cycle specific oil? I would prefer to use the latter- But would like justifications which sort of lube should be used, and why.

Would appreciate inputs.
http://www.bikeszone.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=12&t=5194

has researched this topic to death.

B - NO.
Old 30th March 2015, 18:47   #2419
Senior - BHPian

Nice one from Volvo,
Old 30th March 2015, 19:05   #2420
Senior - BHPian

Typical Volvo. I rally *love* them for thinking on safety terms- and for trying to make the world a better place.

"The best way to survive a crash----Is not to crash."

Excellent, wot?

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

B - NO.
Just registered for BZ.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 30th March 2015 at 19:17.
Old 30th March 2015, 20:22   #2421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I did not get the drift.
But that said no discount on this one. This and a black one were the only ones available @550 AUD. Mudguards, Rack and Panniers are extra.

At this moment I really do not see myself on a roadbike. I do not like that crouching posture. I cycle wearing a cheap loose t shirt and a bermuda (though I do use inserts). Spandex/Lycra/(Whatever skin tight) shorts and me don't mix.

Well, I am in the same boat as you are, at-least with respect to Spandex and stuff.

I use a road bike (if you can call a Hero Hawk as one) for regular within city rides (home to work, 15km one way), and a Fuji Altair for weekend long rides (100+km/sub 4 hours, without all those tight fitting spandex or cleat shoes. I use a plain simple dry fit shorts/t-shirt and bata canvas)

Once you get used to the posture (a maximum of two or three days), I wager that you will get around to buying one. A world of difference.

Shyam
Old 31st March 2015, 07:24   #2422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post

Nice one from Volvo,
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Typical Volvo. I rally *love* them for thinking on safety terms- and for trying to make the world a better place.
Interesting idea. But in the end I feel it is just a marketing ad by Volvo. Do note - the product is not even there in the market - no plans shared when it will be launched. The site is just a single page with an option to add your email id to get updates - which again isn't really useful.

I'll applaud Volvo when they actually launch the product.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st April 2019 at 08:50. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 31st March 2015, 09:10   #2423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Interesting idea. But in the end I feel it is just a marketing ad by Volvo. Do note - the product is not even there in the market - no plans shared when it will be launched. The site is just a single page with an option to add your email id to get updates - which again isn't really useful.

I'll applaud Volvo when they actually launch the product.
Yup its mainly a PR activity. But its available in London at least, as per their website.
The Bicycles thread-screen-shot-20150331-5.38.07-am.png
The Bicycles thread-screen-shot-20150331-5.43.15-am.png

EDIT: Volvo is just rebranding the following product from http://www.albedo100.se/
http://www.albedo100.se/produkter/li...ent_spray.html

Last edited by ecenandu : 31st March 2015 at 09:15.
Old 31st March 2015, 21:34   #2424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

B - NO.
It has been more than one day-

*My account at BZ still hasn't been activated*

Aren't you the admin there?
Old 6th April 2015, 22:27   #2425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Thanks for the insight. I am a lot fitter now than what I used to be. Just yesterday I did a non stop 2:30 hrs cycling with on the go hydration. All in preparation for the ride to Stockholm.
LOL , I thought I had improved my stamina quite a lot after more than 1000Kms of cycling this year. So when my friend asked me whether I am interested in trekking for 25Kms through the woods, I thought to myself, "How hard can it be?"

Answer is, quite hard. I never ran out of breath during the 5:00 hour climb. But my knees became sore.
Like this, https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

Anyways, I will definitely go for future treks. This was a good experience .
Old 10th April 2015, 16:26   #2426
BHPian

Couple of days ago during morning ride noticed that rear gears are not shifting. It was getting stuck in 1st or 2nd. Though the lever is showing 4 or 5, the chain is still in 1st. After close inspection observed that few teeth of rear sprocket has bent. Initially I was shocked since I have bought this bike (Montra Blues 1.1) in July 2014 and has completed 1000 odd kms.
Took the bike yesterday to Surender cycles Baner, Pune.
My bike has been serviced only once after purchase (Sep 2014 – free service). I was under the impression that once a year should be sufficient (cycle ko engine thodi hai ).
Mr. Surender told me to get the bike serviced after every four months to keep it running smoothly. Bike is serviced and the problem is rectified. The problem was with rear gear cable, outer was broken which was fouling the rear derailleur. Bike is serviced neatly and overall I’m very happy. All the gear noise has gone away. Shifting is more precise and the ride has improved.
Total damage done 500 Rs. (400 for service + 100 for cable change). 400 is definitely exorbitant. What’s the opinion of fellow cyclist?
About bent teeth of rear sprocket: The mechanic said it’s normal and no need to worry.

Please share few details about overall maintenance/ service interval etc.
Old 10th April 2015, 18:04   #2427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
Couple of days ago during morning ride noticed that rear gears are not shifting. It was getting stuck in 1st or 2nd.
======
Total damage done 500 Rs. (400 for service + 100 for cable change). 400 is definitely exorbitant. What’s the opinion of fellow cyclist?
About bent teeth of rear sprocket: The mechanic said it’s normal and no need to worry.

You should always be sensitive about how the rear sprocket shifts - use that to guide your service intervals.

400 is bit on the higher side but its okay. I recall in Gurgaon it used to be 250 for indian (firefox) brands and 350 for imported manufacturers (Trek et al) at the firefox store. In Chennai I pay 350-400 for my roadie depending on the work.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st April 2019 at 08:45. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 10th April 2015, 18:23   #2428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
precise and the ride has improved.

I pay the same amount at Surinder (or as I like call the place- *Surrender Cycles* !)

4 month intervals was told to me as well. But I generally stick to one year intervals. Or twice an year, once before the rains. Works well for me! A lot depends on *how* you ride, I guess!

Noticed the green Bianchi roadie parked there? The very first cycle that you see when you walk inside?

Just paid up for it. Today.

In other words, guys:

I've paid up for: 2014 (The MY is 2014)

Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Coast2Coast in Celeste!

Gear upgrades and tire upgrades follow later. The Continentals first, the Ultegra upgrade second - and so on. The stock Hutchinson Nitro's are pretty good. They're whitewalled. Look real fantastic!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 10th April 2015 at 18:27.
Old 10th April 2015, 19:17   #2429
BHPian

Coming here after a long hiatus, here is my SS/Fixie. After getting into bicycling it's been addictive and I'm enjoying it. For your eyes only.

The Bicycles thread-steed.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 24th September 2019 at 00:09. Reason: Picture inserted in-line. Post fixed.
Old 10th April 2015, 19:33   #2430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You should always be sensitive about how the rear sprocket shifts - use that to guide your service intervals.

400 is bit on the higher side but its okay. I recall in Gurgaon it used to be 250 for indian (firefox) brands and 350 for imported manufacturers (Trek et al) at the firefox store. In Chennai I pay 350-400 for my roadie depending on the work.
Oh, servicing costs have gone to the moon in Pune thanks to the global brand based outlets. Gaint if I remember charges between 500 to 1500 for different range of servicing. So does the BOTS outlet, but about 500 to 1200 I guess.

On the other hand, if you can figure out a local guy who knows how to handle these geared vehicles, the cost would not go beyond 100-200 at max. I had a really nice guy in Pashan who knew how to service high end bikes, and another in Wagholi who apparently used to work with one of the big brand based outlets and later opened up his own shop. The former I tried and was quite satisfied; the latter I couldn't get a chance to try.

OT Question - has anyone experienced a bent rim or a suspected bent rim. I feel my rear rim is bent but am unable to figure out if it is so.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 10th April 2015 at 19:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks