Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2018, 10:31   #3916
BHPian

Need help in choosing a road bike. Been riding a BTwin Rockrider 540 for the last few months and have covered close to 1800kms. More importantly it's now become a routine to ride early mornings atleast 5 days a week.

For last few weeks, been wanting to move to a road bike and ride a little longer and faster on the chennai roads.

Few research on google, at local stores and riding a Merida Scultura 400 for about 100 kms, have narrowed down the requirements to the following

1. 105 groupset or atleast the derailleur
2. Endurance frame, as I need a comfortable position to ride and not too keen on speeds at the moment
3. Alloy frame is sufficient. No need of a full carbon yet.
4. Budget not more than 80-90k

The few bikes based on above specs recommended by the guys at the store are

1. Scott Speedster 10

2. Lapierre audacio 500 in FDJ colors

3. Fuji Roubaix 1.3 -later understood that's a bike with aggressive race geometry. So have to check on sportif 1.3 availability and price

4.Bottecchia Duello 105 - haven't heard about these bikes. Only reason they are in the list is because it looked stunning. I know it can't be a criteria to choose a bike. But still anyone have any idea about these bike would help.

Merida, Trek and Giant were either out of budget or the 2018 stocks have been cleared and they await 2019 models.

I'm in no hurry to pick a bike but since I've decided to buy one I would like to pick one as early as the decision is made.
Old 10th October 2018, 21:22   #3917
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
3. Fuji Roubaix 1.3 -later understood that's a bike with aggressive race geometry. So have to check on sportif 1.3 availability and price
The Roubaix is a way more advanced frame than the basic Sportif. And does very well.in brevets, as the name suggests.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 18:38. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 11th October 2018, 11:57   #3918
BHPian

Don't think the Fuji Roubaix is a an endurance frame more for racing. The Scott speedster is mix of both had one earlier loved it,comfortable for long rides as well.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 18:39. Reason: Spacing.
Old 11th October 2018, 12:08   #3919
Team-BHP Support

+1 to Scott Speedster. Had a Speedster with Tiagra groupset and it was a good endurance geometry bike. Rode it for some 6000 kilometres and except for a chain change (which was a regular wear and tear component), the bike was quite solid. I would highly recommend.

Last edited by graaja : 11th October 2018 at 12:09.
Old 11th October 2018, 21:09   #3920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
+1 to Scott Speedster. Had a Speedster with Tiagra groupset and it was a good endurance geometry bike. Rode it for some 6000 kilometres and except for a chain change (which was a regular wear and tear component), the bike was quite solid. I would highly recommend.
The ride is a bit harsh though? The Speedster is closer to the Merida Scultura. The Ride series was more pure endurance.

The CAAD, the Allez and the Via Nirone are all race-endurance hybrids, tilting a bit this way or that.

Or as the Cannondale guys say, heads-up race geometry.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 11th October 2018 at 21:11.
Old 11th October 2018, 21:29   #3921
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The ride is a bit harsh though? ...
The Ride series was more pure endurance....
With 25 section tires running 80-85psi pressure, ride is quite compliant.

Haven't heard about the Ride series. Which company is that?
Old 11th October 2018, 23:57   #3922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
With 25 section tires running 80-85psi pressure, ride is quite compliant.

Haven't heard about the Ride series. Which company is that?
Merida.

Been phased out from this year for a gravel bike.

Cheers, Doc
Old 12th October 2018, 00:34   #3923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Few research on google, at local stores and riding a Merida Scultura 400 for about 100 kms, have narrowed down the requirements to the following

I'm in no hurry to pick a bike but since I've decided to buy one I would like to pick one as early as the decision is made.
I trust you have enough inputs from others (above); I'll just add one point - ride the bikes and then decide. That has to be the clinching decision point.

Also on a side note, (IMO) hybrids are the better endurance bikes over road bikes. But don't get into that zone if you are clear on getting a road bike.
Old 12th October 2018, 09:40   #3924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
OK, will keep this in mind, but I read that the built-in ones don't read real tyre pressure, they read the pump pressure!
Thanks Anand for this. I am inclined towards Scott Speedster 10 though it goes slightly above my budget :(

Still having doubts in my mind about will I be able to shift to a roadie from a hybrid. I know once I buy it I will have to ride it and get used to it.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 18:40. Reason: Quot trimmed.
Old 12th October 2018, 14:34   #3925
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Thanks Anand for this. I am inclined towards Scott Speedster 10 though it goes slightly above my budget :(

Still having doubts in my mind about will I be able to shift to a roadie from a hybrid. I know once I buy it I will have to ride it and get used to it.
It should be a great choice. Please check with Akshay Mehta (D Byk, Viman nagar) if he can give you best price.

Regarding geometry and riding comfort, I am 100% sure you will get used to it. And the speed and acceleration of this thing will be addictive, I am telling you, you won't go back to a hybrid.

My biggest problem with my roadie is lack of hydraulic disc brakes. If you go for Speedster 10, you won't face that problem.

We can meet tomorrow/day after if you want to try my Ultra.
Old 12th October 2018, 16:56   #3926
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, sale going on at choosemybicycle.
Check out this one:
https://www.choosemybicycle.com/en/b...-disc-105-2017
Old 12th October 2018, 17:51   #3927
BHPian

Quote:
Also, sale going on at choosemybicycle.
Check out this one:
https://www.choosemybicycle.com/en/b...-disc-105-2017
If 105 and disc are the only selection criterias, then he can go for Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc. It is a better brand and listed at 99k pre-discount. He can definitely get 5 to 7k discount.
Old 12th October 2018, 18:01   #3928
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
If 105 and disc are the only selection criterias, then he can go for Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc. It is a better brand and listed at 99k pre-discount. He can definitely get 5 to 7k discount.

Yes, I had mentioned that one as well, not sure if it is really available in any store. Last I checked at Track&Trail, Goregaon, Mumbai, it wasn't. But they they did not have any roadie on display.
Old 16th October 2018, 14:14   #3929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Quote:
Yes, I had mentioned that one as well, not sure if it is really available in any store. Last I checked at Track&Trail, Goregaon, Mumbai, it wasn't. But they they did not have any roadie on display.
Thanks Shipnil & Anand. Did not get time in last couple of days to visit Track n Trail in Pune. Would be checking out Canondale as well. Also need to check if the Bajaj finance scheme is available for it
Old 16th October 2018, 16:32   #3930
BHPian

Quote:
Last I checked at Track&Trail, Goregaon, Mumbai, it wasn't. But they they did not have any roadie on display.
Quote:
Thanks Shipnil & Anand. Did not get time in last couple of days to visit Track n Trail in Pune. Would be checking out Canondale as well. Also need to check if the Bajaj finance scheme is available for it
It was available in Track and Trail, Baner, the last time I was there in mid September. Also, I think they can order a right size, if it isn't available with them. You can call Veer, the store manager, on 8 6 9 8 0 8 0 8 4 8.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks