Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2018, 23:15   #3871
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Update:

Apparently only Schwalbe tubes have the replacement inner threaded pins.The other tubes the pin doesn't not come out completely, and has a lock at the end.

Checked mine. It's a Kenda. So will have to replace the tube.with a Schwalbe.Amd keep this damaged be as a spare. It will still hold the air, can be deflatedby pressing the broken pin tip onwards, and can be inflated with a pump normally. Though it's a bit hit or miss, coz once when I detached the pump nozzle, all the air came out. Coz the pin was stuck within. Also slow leaks are a probability so this would be a emergency only spare.

The Bicycles thread-img_20180913_210732.jpg

Cheers, Doc

P.S. looks like the advice of using the Presta to Shraeder adaptors on the valves as suggested by someone here is a good idea. Lesson learned for the day.
Old 16th September 2018, 12:18   #3872

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Checked with Decathlon for servicing my Btwin 7s and the service cost was mentioned as 1000 bucks. For a bicycle costing 8k, the servicing cost is more than servicing my bike

As the gear system is not working as expected - it is bit hard to change them while moving uphill. Are there any reliable shops in North Bengaluru where I can get the servicing done at nominal price? What is the value add if I get it serviced at Decathlon compared to outside servicing?
Please look up youtube for videos on how to shift gears. There are some simple, subtle but key points one needs to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
Thanks. I forgot to mention in my second post that the plan of having a common bike for wife and self was shelved post checking out at the Firefox Showroom. There's no way that a common bike can accommodate both of us with the kind of height difference we have. So now the bike is solely for me.
With regards to whether or not I can dive into serious cycling, I'd rather not get into a discussion over it. As of now, I go for a 6 km run every day irrespective of when I get back from office. Want to add a routine of cycling to it in conjunction. If not 9 hours a week, I can definitely begin with 5 hours a week.
Thanks for the suggestions with regards to Firefox and Montra.
You try a bike with a quick release seatpost clamp (to change seat height in seconds) and a handle bar with an adjustable stem .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Pardon the short reply, but a bicycle is it's frame.
Can't be more correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
A bicycle is a lightweight machine and moves as a result of manual physical inputs. Unlike a car, where you may take a while to realise that you have been driving with low engine oil levels, but still getting decent performance, with a bicycle, you will immediately know if something is amiss. This is because the human body can generate comparatively less force and you need the best out of the machine to get your optimum performance.
Perfect !

Last edited by Samurai : 16th September 2018 at 12:24. Reason: avoid long quotes
Old 17th September 2018, 11:24   #3873
Team-BHP Support

Any idea which brand bicycle they are riding?

Old 17th September 2018, 16:44   #3874

I want to buy this Lectro EZephyr bicycle: https://herocycles.com/EZephyr/product/322

However none of the dealers listed in North Goa sell it, so only option is to buy it Online. The only place I've been able to find that sells it Online is choosemybicycle.com:

https://www.choosemybicycle.com/en/b...o-ezephyr-2018

But they are listing it at 32,620 and MRP is 26,999. Free delivery but still works out 5,619 more which seems a bit much to me.

Could someone please advise on any drawbacks of buying a bicycle Online.
Old 18th September 2018, 17:09   #3875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar101 View Post
However none of the dealers listed in North Goa sell it, so only option is to buy it Online. The only place I've been able to find that sells it Online is choosemybicycle.com
The hero webpage has the option of buying it online directly from them. Did you check it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar101 View Post
Could someone please advise on any drawbacks of buying a bicycle Online.
The biggest issue with getting a cycle online is finding the right fit for your body. An experienced cycle store will be able to guide you. As far as this model goes what is the range and battery life? This is a low budget for an electric bike. The really good ones come at double this cost if I'm not mistaken. You'll get a really nice hybrid bike in this price range so take a look at what's available in your budget and test ride a few models. They are incredibly smooth to ride and fast as well. You may just change your mind and go for one of those instead. Good luck!
Old 18th September 2018, 18:19   #3876

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
The hero webpage has the option of buying it online directly from them. Did you check it?

The biggest issue with getting a cycle online is finding the right fit for your body. An experienced cycle store will be able to guide you. As far as this model goes what is the range and battery life? This is a low budget for an electric bike. The really good ones come at double this cost if I'm not mistaken. You'll get a really nice hybrid bike in this price range so take a look at what's available in your budget and test ride a few models. They are incredibly smooth to ride and fast as well. You may just change your mind and go for one of those instead. Good luck!
Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately when you click on the buy Online button it just brings up a form asking for your details which they then respond to in their own time its not a real-time buying thing.

This model is well priced but seems very good too. It's designed in the UK weighs only 15Kg has a Panasonic Battery charge time is four hours and range is 45Km as per video below.

I'm only going to be using it to ride to the beach and go to local shops 10Km max on any given trip so range is fine for me. It's pedal assisted so one can always pedal home in case the battery dies out. I also like the fact it looks like a normal bike rather then electric one with the battery not sticking giving a temptation to steal.

Unfortunately there no dealers who sell electric bikes near me, so, no chance of test riding anything. I did actually visit the Hero dealer in nearest big town and they did advise this bike is correct size for me (28T). But not able to order via them, have no knowledge of e-bikes even though they are listed as dealer to buy from on Hero's website.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 18:25. Reason: Spacing.
Old 18th September 2018, 19:57   #3877
Senior - BHPian

BTwin also has some girl's gearless bicycle in this range. You may want to check it out. Ladybird comes with basket/mudguard etc cutsey accessories, but BTwin quality is very good.

EDIT: https://www.decathlon.in/p/8401091_a...#/3174-515-s_m

Btwin Elops: costing 6999.
Old 20th September 2018, 16:42   #3878
Senior - BHPian

After riding the hybrid for about a year thinking of buying one road bike.

There are a plethora of options available at different price points.

But what I am more interested to know is how difficult is it to make the switch from hybrid to a road bike and what points should I consider while making the selection?

I would not be ready to go anything above 70 to 80k for this purchase. Lesser the better. Very difficult to convince spending big amount on a cycle at home

Road bike experts any inputs?
Old 20th September 2018, 17:23   #3879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post

There are a plethora of options available at different price points.

But what I am more interested to know is how difficult is it to make the switch from hybrid to a road bike and what points should I consider while making the selection?

I would not be ready to go anything above 70 to 80k for this purchase. Lesser the better. Very difficult to convince spending big amount on a cycle at home

Road bike experts any inputs?
Try maybe looking for a road bike with a more relaxed frame geometry. Though I'm not aware of what exactly is in the market, now. At your budget of 70k-80k, you should be spoilt for choice in the Alloy frame/Shimano Sora groupset range.

Also just visit your LBS, try out a bunch of their bikes, and choose the one you're most comfortable riding. Brand, colour, etc. do not matter IMO.

cheers!!

PS: Riding a road bike is not all that difficult as it seems!!

Last edited by Turrrb0 : 20th September 2018 at 17:31.
Old 20th September 2018, 17:48   #3880
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You are welcome to try my BTwin Ultra 700 AF, see how it suits you. it's got full 105 groupset and trust me it's smooth. Shifts on my Scott Metrix are noisy (metallic sound), while on the Ultra, they are butter smooth and ultra goes way faster than Scott. On paper 9.5 kg (Ultra) is just 3 kilos lighter than 12.5 kg (Scott) but on the road what a difference it makes. Again 105 components and 25c tyres must be playing a role in this.

Only 2 points to consider:
1. The hydraulic disc brakes on the hybrid are way more effective than rim brakes on the Ultra (so get a road bike with hydraulic discs if you can)
2. The aggressive geometry of the ultra (there are tourer roadies which are less aggressive)

Following 2 should be good choices within this budget:

Cannondale Synapse Alloy Disc 105
Scott Speedster 20 Disc
Old 20th September 2018, 19:07   #3881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
Brand, colour, etc. do not matter IMO.
I somehow could not convince myself just to look at the groupset and geometry. Brand and color too mattered to me. I was mainly looking at Specialized, Cannondale, Giant. I most likely would go for entry level Cannondale which is on offer at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Scott Speedster 20 Disc
You are right, these are his best options if he decides to go for disc bikes.

Quote:
I am also close to finalizing a road bike. So I can give you a few updates on the options available in Pune at the moment.

There are issues with Giant distributorship. Apparently, the distributorship of Starkenn has been discontinued. So no new stock coming since last 3 months to the distributor near RTO, Pune. I got same info, without asking, from two different stores.

Procycle in Aundh (and Prabhat road) would have Scott. He has Speedster, 30, 20 and 10. These differ in groupsets. Speedster 10 with 105. He'd offer 5 to 7% discount if you buy in cash. The post discount prices I have given below.

30 = 61 k
20 = 69 k
10 = 79 k

If you want to go for disc, the speedster 20 would be for 78k, with Tiagra.

There is Pedal town in PCMC. He has Fuji bikes. Sportif 2.1 with Sora was at 58k post discount.

Track and Trail (Surendar Cycles) in Baner / Karve road has Cannondale. Synapse alloy sora is for 99k. He'd offer some discount but not sure how much that would be as I did not inquire.

He has Ridley too. The one with Tiagra costs 58k post discount.

I don't think we have any specialized dealer in Pune. For Trek, you can go to D Byk Store on Nagar road.
Old 20th September 2018, 19:28   #3882
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post

I don't think we have any specialized dealer in Pune. For Trek, you can go to D Byk Store on Nagar road.
Bumsonthesaddle on Law College road has Specialized bikes. Cymour in Kalyani is also a decent bike store.
Old 20th September 2018, 19:44   #3883
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There are issues with Giant distributorship. Apparently, the distributorship of Starkenn has been discontinued. So no new stock coming since last 3 months to the distributor near RTO, Pune.
Interesting!

Quote:
Track and Trail (Surendar Cycles) in Baner / Karve road has Cannondale. Synapse alloy sora is for 99k.
What about Synapse Alloy Disc 105? It's showing 99K online! How can they sell Sora at the price of 105?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Bumsonthesaddle on Law College road has Specialized bikes. Cymour in Kalyani is also a decent bike store.
Interesting!

Also, D Byk has the Scott range, a good shop, worth checking out.

And, I revisited the market scene due to this today after a gap of 3 months (got my BTwin Ultra exactly 3 months ago). Even today, nothing comes close to Ultra 700 in terms of specs at the given price point (85K).
Old 20th September 2018, 19:44   #3884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Bots closed down since last 2 years. Cymour, I thought, was for bike sharing. Do they sell bikes as well?

Quote:
Interesting!

What about Synapse Alloy Disc 105? It's showing 99K online! How can they sell Sora at the price of 105?
Oops! My bad, I meant Synapse Alloy 105 only. Sora is not available, with dealer or company.

Last edited by shipnil : 20th September 2018 at 19:47.
Old 21st September 2018, 10:01   #3885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
Also just visit your LBS, try out a bunch of their bikes, and choose the one you're most comfortable riding. Brand, colour, etc. do not matter IMO.

cheers!!

PS: Riding a road bike is not all that difficult as it seems!!
Yes I wanted to try out a road bike for a week before taking the plunge and also enquired with couple of stores - GIANT and Track n Trail for renting out one. Giant does not rent out and Track n Trail has one Old Bianchi which can be rented. But looking at the bike did not feel like renting it.

Quote:
You are welcome to try my BTwin Ultra 700 AF, see how it suits you.
Only 2 points to consider:
1. The hydraulic disc brakes on the hybrid are way more effective than rim brakes on the Ultra (so get a road bike with hydraulic discs if you can)
2. The aggressive geometry of the ultra (there are tourer roadies which are less aggressive)

Following 2 should be good choices within this budget:

Scott Speedster 20 Disc
Thanks Anand for the generous offer. Definitely worth considering before spending the money.

Cannondale/Scott/Giant are the 3 brands I am considering. Would check the 2 that you have mentioned.

Quote:

There are issues with Giant distributorship. Apparently, the distributorship of Starkenn has been discontinued. So no new stock coming since last 3 months to the distributor near RTO, Pune. I got same info, without asking, from two different stores.

Issues with Giant is news to me. Will check with them as well what is the scene. Wanted to go with Giant as their service center is pretty good.

Will pester Sardarji in Track n Trail for max discount. Go there quite regularly.

Your research so far is definitely helping me. Thanks for that.

Do let us know which one you go with finally.

One major task is still pending about informing the home ministry about this decision though feelers have been sent

Most Viewed