Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2015, 20:12   #2431
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
gure out a local guy who knows how to handle these geared vehicles, the cost would not go beyond 100-200 at max. I had a really nice guy in Pashan who knew how to service high end bikes, and another in Wagholi who apparently used to work with one of the big brand based outlets and later opened up his own shop. The former I tried and was quite satisfied; the latter I couldn't get a chance to try.
WHERE is this guy in Pashan?

Thanks!
Old 10th April 2015, 20:29   #2432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
WHERE is this guy in Pashan?

Thanks!
Ahead of Pashan circle you head towards the junction where the right turn takes you onto Sus road, and the straight road towards Pashan gaon; head straight. On the right you'll see Cosmos Bank. Keep heading straight; on your left you a single see a shop-house just before the mini roadside temple - that's the place. He doesn't have a proper shop, but the elder man of the house knows his cycles. I believe they do repair work for autos too and other menial jobs.
Old 10th April 2015, 21:16   #2433
BHPian

Quote:

OT Question - has anyone experienced a bent rim or a suspected bent rim. I feel my rear rim is bent but am unable to figure out if it is so.
Turn the wheel around (not too fast) and look at the brake-pads or use your thumb at that area to see if it's out of true.
Old 10th April 2015, 21:18   #2434
Senior - BHPian

A heads up for people looking for a good deal. Paytm has currently 50% cashback on many cycles, max cashback Rs.5000. For example, btwin mybike costs 2.5k, 7s costs 4k, and vtt 300 costs 5k after cash back. Damn good prices I must say

Anyone who buys them owes us a short review and a picture on this thread.
Old 10th April 2015, 21:46   #2435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ahead of Pashan circle you head towards the junction where the right turn takes you onto Sus road, and the straight road towards Pashan gaon; head straight. On the right you'll see Cosmos Bank. Keep heading straight; on your left you a single see a shop-house just before the mini roadside temple - that's the place. He doesn't have a proper shop, but the elder man of the house knows his cycles. I believe they do repair work for autos too and other menial jobs.
I've been going to him for over a decade. Stopped going 2 years ago.

Even you went there? He knows his cycles- but I've had my doubts about more expensive cycles.

How would you rate him- as regards to simple jobs? What all stuff did you do?

Thanks!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 10th April 2015 at 21:48.
Old 11th April 2015, 00:11   #2436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, servicing costs have gone to the moon in Pune thanks to the global brand based outlets. Gaint if I remember charges between 500 to 1500 for different range of servicing. So does the BOTS outlet, but about 500 to 1200 I guess.

On the other hand, if you can figure out a local guy who knows how to handle these geared vehicles, the cost would not go beyond 100-200 at max. I had a really nice guy in Pashan who knew how to service high end bikes, and another in Wagholi who apparently used to work with one of the big brand based outlets and later opened up his own shop. The former I tried and was quite satisfied; the latter I couldn't get a chance to try.

OT Question - has anyone experienced a bent rim or a suspected bent rim. I feel my rear rim is bent but am unable to figure out if it is so.
The other option is to have the company mechanic do a home service (on his off day) - costs about 50 rs extra, but humongous saving of time and energy and more thorough job done.
Old 11th April 2015, 15:20   #2437
BHPian

Quote:
.......Noticed the green Bianchi roadie parked there? The very first cycle that you see when you walk inside?

Just paid up for it. Today.
Fintail, way to go...Awesome. Finally you bought the bianchi and I am waiting for a detailed review with pics and also waiting for the delicious upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
coming here after a long hiatus , here is my SS/Fixie. after getting into bicycling its been addictive. and i'm enjoying it. for your eye only
Wow dreamy, your bike looks like a piece of art. Classic , retro and chic.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st April 2019 at 08:46. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 11th April 2015, 15:39   #2438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastraj View Post
Fintail, way to go...Awesome. Finally you bought the bianchi and I am waiting for a detailed review with pics and also waiting for the delicious upgrades.
Thanks!

The final price was a shade over 50k, and not 40k as I had misrepresented.

40k was the Schwinn. So- Let's wait until mid-next week (Wednesday that is!!) for a clear riding impression.

At the price- Totally worth it- IMO. Tis just tooo good- Okay, gear upgrades follow soon.

Pics on the wayy.....
Old 11th April 2015, 16:59   #2439
Senior - BHPian

It's an excellent road bike, I know.

I know it's an expensive bike.

That it's an exotic.

That it's quick.

That the colour is legendary.
The bike has some carbon fibre components, inclusive of the fork. Bianchi is the oldest bicycle manufacturer, they tell me. The first time that I rode her, it felt a tad strange. A road bike would be harsh. Bumpy. Expensive.

I sat. Ouch. Ouch.

It didn't hurt at all- LOL. I sat. Bent forward. Into the 'sporty' position. Stretched my hands all the way. Figured out how the shifters worked. Clipped on the pedal. Posed for the effect- and out we went.

Quick. Effortless. Brutal. Efficient. Sporty. Whatever. I found the cycle- This was to be the one.

The handling was too good. Flickable. Nimble. Stable. The frame was light. Ruddy light. I came to a corner. Bent meself into a more 'aerodynamic' position. Felt like Lance Armstrong.

Like Lance Armstrong.

**Minus the drugs anyway**

And, I dived. Off the bike went. This one was fast. We must've touched 75KMPH at that spot. Very fast indeed. Stable- yet nimble. Quick. Flickable.

I braked. No screeching here. It stopped. Like- That! No screeching, no hoping-that-the-brakes work business (We know this feeling!). Rolled to a stop.

I rode back. Rode through the traffic. The traffic felt strangely lower today. Lower.

Was it because of the cycle?
Perhaps.

I stopped at the showroom. Got off. Dismounted. Inspected her again.

On the fork- One thing was very evident. A minor detail.

What was it?

Carbon Fibre. Carbon Fibre. Same stuff all those Ferrari's of the world use, I guess. The tires were whitewalls.

Paisa Vasool- I thought. Paisa Vasool. Paisa Vasool.

Ladies and Gentlemen, say 'hi!' to Piranello (I know Piranello is a high end Italian bike manufacturer. Bianchi is one of the better- or even 'exotic' Italian bike manufacturers. It is like calling your Maserati or Alfa Romeo - a Ferrari! But I cannot think of any other name at the moment, lol)

So, here's Piranello:

Take a bow, Piranello
:

The Bicycles thread-wp_20150407_001.jpg

That was just a trailer pic, lol. Some 'customization' is going on at the moment.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 11th April 2015 at 17:25.
Old 11th April 2015, 17:05   #2440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You should always be sensitive about how the rear sprocket shifts - use that to guide your service intervals.
Thanks phamilyman. Will keep close eye on the sprocket.

Quote:
I pay the same amount at Surinder (or as I like call the place- *Surrender Cycles* !)
Surrender Cycles

Servicing has made lot of difference to my bike (in positive way). Over last couple of days, I have beaten my own segment records on Strava
Totally worth it.

Congrats on the new purchase. When can we see it? We want photos.
What happened to old bike?

We posted at the same time. Just read your quick bike review. Simply awesome. Eagerly waiting for more updates.
BTW, Nice name: Piranello

Last edited by mp417 : 11th April 2015 at 17:09.
Old 11th April 2015, 17:21   #2441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post

We posted at the same time. Just read your quick bike review. Simply awesome. Eagerly waiting for more updates.
Thanks!

My cycle is still with Surrender () though. Some 'customization' to be done. Gears found excellent for now- shall tinker further later on.

I'm keeping the 2012 Montra Rock-I. Can still hit the trails. So I'm both- an MTBer, and a roadie as well!
Old 11th April 2015, 18:24   #2442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[i]It's an excellent road bike, I know.

And, I dived. Off the bike went. This one was fast. We must've touched 75KMPH at that spot. Very fast indeed. Stable- yet nimble. Quick. Flickable.

So, here's Piranello:
Totally drool worthy. Someday I will graduate to more sophisticated bikes, until then I will drool and will ask you for a ride!

Btw,I know the gears and its working, but my cycle doesn't have gears and so far it hasn't impeded me. Yes climbing bridges is a bit tough, but then my usage/pattern includes only plain roads.

Does it make sense to add a gear kit? (The cycle manufacturer is offering a kit)
Old 11th April 2015, 20:07   #2443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Does it make sense to add a gear kit? (The cycle manufacturer is offering a kit)
You said- and I quote (Arnab style! ) :

Quote:
also have a cycle (La - Sovereign Cheetah) that I use quite frequently, but it is very scary to use it on Indian roads. If I use a cycle to commute, I usually have to plan my route with the minimum number of intersections and maximum left turns (to avoid crossing). There by increasing the distance I need to go.
I know MH-43 *quite* well. And La-Soverign as well. So, my advice is the following. @Minkey_Chief on BikesZone had once said something similar.:

Frames are (somewhat) different for geared and single speed bikes. A bike frame for gears will have a place for the rear derailleur to bolt on. It is likely to also have a wider spacing in the rear to accommodate the cassette. If your frame is single speed specific (which is probably is), converting will be a big job and not worth it.

So, well, it depends. What I'd say is- Dump your cycle. You can fiddle about- but is it worth it? It's okay if you blow up 60 or 70 k on a *great* bike (like I do) and focus on little upgrades. The frame in your LA-S isn't that good, it'll presumably be heavy, and general build quality is suspect.

IIRC- After a couple of monsoon seasons, I saw some rusted spots on the frame of my (ex) LA-S. A couple of missing / or broken / improper welds on the frame- and I junked the cycle. The quality level is seriously not that great.

My advice: Get a 20k budget, and buy a nice basic (and AWESOME!) aluminium hybrid. Something like a Montra Blues!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 11th April 2015 at 20:29.
Old 11th April 2015, 21:02   #2444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IIRC- After a couple of monsoon seasons, I saw some rusted spots on the frame of my (ex) LA-S. A couple of missing / or broken / improper welds on the frame- and I junked the cycle. The quality level is seriously not that great.

My advice: Get a 20k budget, and buy a nice basic (and AWESOME!) aluminium hybrid. Something like a Montra Blues!
Thats the plan

Thanks for the advise, I will see how long the LA-S serves me. If issues crop up, mostly I will replace it.

Last edited by blackwasp : 11th April 2015 at 21:23.
Old 11th April 2015, 23:32   #2445
Distinguished - BHPian

Driving cars, riding bikes were resulting in no physical exercise and i was a silent reader of this thread. So finally thought of joining the club! As a beginner i wanted a basic comfortable bicycle. Did some research and zeroed on the Hercules Sparta. Picked the cycle yesterday for 5,700 bucks. Reasons i avoided going for a geared one are -

Am just a beginner.
During my school days i used to ride a Hercules top gear ezy with 18 gears, that's 12 years back. It was comfortable but most of the time i used to ride in the same gear.
If i can grow some more interest and the urge to upgrade knocks my brain, i will upgrade to a geared one later.

Regarding the cycle- I rode for 10kms today and the initial observation's goes like-

Its easy going. Not much effort needed. I could easily touch 20km/hr. My average riding speed was around 12 kms/hour.
The shock absorbers do work and they feel comfortable.
The riding position is comfortable too.
The stock seats are not comfortable. So i have put one spongy seat cover but that do not help either. Will get the seat changed to a more comfortable one soon.
The cycle looks good, though i would have preferred this jazzy look more 10 years back!
The Bicycles thread-img_4517.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 11th April 2015 at 23:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks